Help with unmuting.

For tech wizards and n00bs alike. Questions, answers, or just general hoo-haa.

Moderator: Moderators

Glitcher
Templar Master

Re: Help with unmuting.

#1 Post by Glitcher »

Could you be a bit more specific on what happened and what you did? Also if you could put what sound software you use that might be helpful.
ImageImageImage

Glitcher
Templar Master

Re: Help with unmuting.

#2 Post by Glitcher »

I'm going to post every possible way to fix this given the knowledge I know. (For the most part it will start with the very simple an build up to the most complex)

1. Check if you speakers are plugged into your computer.

2. Check to see if they are plugged into the wall (if necessary)

3. Are they on?

4. Check the speaker icon to see if they are muted (bottom right in the start tray)

5. Check to see if the volume is on

6. If using windows 7 (maybe Vista too, I'm not sure about that) make sure that whatever application you are using has the sound set above 0%[To do this right click on the speaker icon and click Open Volume Mixer]

(this is where is starts getting pretty complex)

7. Make sure that your computer is outputting to the correct I/O slot. [Right-click the speaker and click on "Playback Devices". Click on the output you want (most likely Speakers) and click Set Default.(Keep this window open for #8)]

8.If your default speaker is not working make sure it is configured properly [click on the default speaker and click on configure. Make sure that it is set to the right speaker set up (Stereo for two speakers, Quadraphonic for four, 5.1 for 5 + sub, 7.1 for 7 + sub) and click on test.

9. The last thing I can think of is that you might have some sound software (as I mentioned before) such as Realtek HD Audio Manager that might be messed up. The previous steps should work though.

10. You might have a virus that is preventing your speakers from working (I never got one myself, but I figure there is one out there somewhere) a good virus scanner is MalwareBytes. I trust this completely and it has been able to remove some REALLY nasty viruses. Remember though a good antivirus is the best first line of defense, I use The Free Version of AVG.

11. Worst case scenario: your speakers or sound card are fried.

I hope something here helps. Remember the more information you give me the better I can figure out what is wrong.

If this doesn't work send me a systems spec.(Start-> Run (or search) "dxdiag" enter) hit "save all information" and either post it here or send it to me at glitcher (at) att (perriod) net (ignore the strikethough).
ImageImageImage