Headphones

For tech wizards and n00bs alike. Questions, answers, or just general hoo-haa.

Moderator: Moderators

Joetruck
Apprentice

Headphones

#1 Post by Joetruck »

I'm looking to buy some decent headphones that will last a long time for under £30/$50, does anyone have any suggestions?

I would like headphones that go from 18-20,000 Hz, so that I get a nice bass sound. :)
ImageImage

My Deviantart page :3

Xbox: Joetruck117
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Joetruck <-- I encourage you to add me!

RobbieThe1st
Templar GrandMaster

Re: Looking to buy some headphones

#2 Post by RobbieThe1st »

Joetruck wrote:I'm looking to buy some decent headphones that will last a long time for under £30/$50, does anyone have any suggestions?
Sennheiser HD 280 Pro. It's what I use, and seem fairly damage-resistant.
Joetruck wrote: I would like headphones that go from 18-20,000 Hz, so that I get a nice bass sound. :)
You do realize that the upper frequency has no bearing on the bass, right? And even the lower frequency doesn't have much bearing - a headphone is just a cone being driven by an electromagnet. You can put any frequency through it you want, its just that at lower frequencies, the response is less(and your hearing responce is *also* less)... which is what graphical equalizers are for. That being said, bigger speaker = more powerful bass, as the cone can push more air around.

Just find a good pair of (large) headphones with as flat a response curve as you can get, and use the equalizer on your music player to compensate if it doesn't sound loud enough.

Joetruck
Apprentice

#3 Post by Joetruck »

Hmm, I don't know what the price was when you bought them, but they're about £80+ now :P

I found these today after some more looking, they have tons of great reviews so I think I'm going to go for them. :)
ImageImage

bigro
Grand Templar

#4 Post by bigro »

*looks at thread*

Can I propose something? we change this to the 'Headphones' thread so that other people (like me) can inquire about headphones without starting a new thread.

anyways, what i was going to ask is where might one (me) find a pair of really strong headphones for cheaps. (by strong i mean will last a long time)

Joetruck
Apprentice

Re: Headphones

#5 Post by Joetruck »

*changed title* If this ever becomes a major thread for people to discuss headphones, maybe it should be stickied :wink:

In response to you, the link I provided in my 2nd post had a load of reviews saying how they've lasted for years. Don't take my advice though, I'm a newbie at this stuff :P
ImageImage

bigro
Grand Templar

#6 Post by bigro »

i doubt its sticky worthy :P (although it should be considered as nearly everyone uses headphones and next to no one knows anything about them)

And as for those headphones you linked before, I like. Will be looking into them and possibly even getting them :) (Best deal i've found gets me them for $60 AUD with a 2 year warranty)

I will however when i actually have some real money to splash about, get some really good ones (i'm ever so slightly audiophile)

RobbieThe1st
Templar GrandMaster

#7 Post by RobbieThe1st »

HD202's were my second choice before I bought my HD 280s. They apparently don't have quite as flat a reponse curve(which is why they're cheaper, among other things), but should be a *lot* better than the stuff you'd find at, say, the local Walmart or Fred Meyers.

Ryusen
Grand Templar

#8 Post by Ryusen »

RobbieThe1st wrote:HD202's were my second choice before I bought my HD 280s. They apparently don't have quite as flat a reponse curve(which is why they're cheaper, among other things), but should be a *lot* better than the stuff you'd find at, say, the local Walmart or Fred Meyers.
Do you use just the HD 280s, or do you have an amp/sound card to drive them with? My girlfriend has a pair of those, and when she plugged them into my headphone amp, it was a night and day difference. The bass actually popped, and the sound was much fuller, giving a real soundstage instead of a somewhat flat one. I'm of the opinion that any headphones can benefit from amplification, especially ones, like yours, which are higher-end. Listening to my 650s, plugged right into my computer, is actually painful now that I've head what they can sound like (even somewhat improperly) amped.
bigro wrote:I will however when i actually have some real money to splash about, get some really good ones (i'm ever so slightly audiophile)
For an entry-level audiophile system? Let's see ... that's $300 for headphones, $100-$300 for the amp, and $100-$300 for the DAC as well. That puts you in a solid $500 - $900 range for a decent setup. Then you need to convert all your music to a lossless format (FLAC, etc) and gain a smug sense of superiority :P .
Man can live 30 days without food, 4 days without water, and 8 minutes without air. But man cannot live a single second without hope.

RobbieThe1st
Templar GrandMaster

#9 Post by RobbieThe1st »

While I've got an Audigy 2 sound card, I turn the volume *way* down, because it seems too loud otherwise. Sure, the bass sounds nice, but it feels loud.
Same with my mp3 player; I typically keep it on half(or less) volume when I can, due to not liking things being too loud.