Winows XP Issues...alot of them

For tech wizards and n00bs alike. Questions, answers, or just general hoo-haa.

Moderator: Moderators

SirSlaughter
Templar Inner Circle

Winows XP Issues...alot of them

#1 Post by SirSlaughter »

Ok I have a problem. A friend of my mother sent me his desktop for repair. He seems to have accidentally uninstalled the windows XP service pack 1. I have no idea how he managed that, but the problem is that now his computer is all mess up. He had windows XP professional on his computer along with windows XP home edition. He has 2 OPs on the system. I need to know how to uninstall the windows XP professional off of it. He has requested that. He is computer is a Compaq Presario....Desktop....2006. Ancient I know. (at least for me it is.) But the problem is that I turn it on, and I have no Idea how to do that. I know I could probably do a system restore But I think You need the CD for comp As old as this. (Again, this is ancient for me...long before I figured out how to work computers) His computer has me re-installing all the drivers as if e just put it together and He is starting new.

He already has like a good 5 accounts on the computer so I knwo that his is not new. Is this a result of the Computer re-installing the servicepack driver by driver? Or is it just re establishing itself?I am a nerd with computers, but I ave very very very limited experience with Windows XP. I never really explored it as I should have...Bad memories. SO. MANY. VIRUSES! Yeah that was my experience with XP, but that is besides the point. I need to know how to uninstall the windows professional off of his Drive. OR If you could help me repair. I don't know if it needs the disk to restore. Repair it told me it does, but Does Restore need it as well?

And another problem, It tells me that the Microsoft NET framework 2.0 is required, it gives me a site to go to but when I click on the link it provided the internet explorer freezes and I can't install the NET required. Is there a way around that? OR Am I REQUIRED for the computer to function properly?

Man I am all sorts of messed up when it comes to windows XP aren't I?

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

Oh snap, his internet explorer program does not function properly as well....hm...crap. I know I will do a transfer of the installer from my 2006 Vaio to the desktop. That should work right?

Cessna Skyhawk
Templar Inner Circle

Re: Winows XP Issues...alot of them

#2 Post by Cessna Skyhawk »

System restore won't remove the operating system, it just reverts files to earlier versions. To uninstall windows, start in safe mode, use an account with admin privs, and "Remove XP" should be in the add/remove programs list in control panel. Otherwise, you can open the command and type "del C:\Windows." It'll ask if you're sure, probably twice, and then it'll wipe the hard drive.

Make sure your friend backs up anything he wants to keep on an external device.
da Vinci wrote:Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return.

aj
Consistently Inconsistent

Re: Winows XP Issues...alot of them

#3 Post by aj »

Well... I'm guessing "System restore" refers to the practice of wiping everything and restoring the computer to its fresh-from-the-factory state. Which needs discs that, as you note, aren't available.

Also, you can't really uninstall an OS. Even wiping the files will probably only get half done, leaving the system unbootable. You're better off getting gparted and either deleting the XP partition outright or formatting it.

After backing up the data, of course.
avwolf wrote:"No dating dog-girls, young man, your father is terribly allergic!"
y̸̶o͏͏ų̕ sh̡o̸̵u̶̕l̴d̵̡n̵͠'̵́͠t͜͢ ̀͜͝h̶̡àv̸e͡ ̛d̷̨͡o͏̀ne ̶͠͡t҉́h̕a̧͞t̨҉́.̵̧͞.͠͞.͟