Computer Issue

For tech wizards and n00bs alike. Questions, answers, or just general hoo-haa.

Moderator: Moderators

JediGuy
Zombicidal Maniac

Computer Issue

#1 Post by JediGuy »

Hey there, techies. Maybe you can help me out with a little problem:

For the past few days, my computer has been acting up a lot more than normal. Specifically, the wireless toggle (which is a touch-sensitive button above the keyboard, rather than an actual push-button) keeps switching on and off without my recognition. Further, the system linked with it -- HP "SmartMenu," (which is the FARTHEST THING FROM SMART) will randomly toggle my volume, bass, and treble levels, pop-ups force-minimizing everything while it adjusts the levels, until I control-quit Smart Menu. Doing this causes the toggle issue.

Here's my PC Specs:

Windows Vista Ultimate, Service Pack 2
HP HDX16 Notebook PC
Processor: Intel Core 2 Due CPU
6 Gigs of Ram
64-bit OS

Any help you guys can offer would be appreciated.
Magic is merely science that we have yet to understand.

avwolf
Templar Inner Circle

Re: Computer Issue

#2 Post by avwolf »

Have you tried disabling the start up of this smart menu and seeing if that resolves any of your problems?

JediGuy
Zombicidal Maniac

#3 Post by JediGuy »

avwolf wrote:Have you tried disabling the start up of this smart menu and seeing if that resolves any of your problems?

I haven't, but I can't say that I'd know how, either.

avwolf
Templar Inner Circle

#4 Post by avwolf »

Start->Run-> "msconfig"

Check the "Services" and "Startup" tabs for your SmartMenu and disable it, then restart the computer. See if it improves.

JediGuy
Zombicidal Maniac

#5 Post by JediGuy »

Hello again, techies. I'm having a small issue with my external hard drive. I've got an "encrypted," folder on it for a few of my more important files, but I haven't really used it and am interested in just getting rid of the encryption (all of the files inside are unencrypted). However, I go on today, on my Mini notebook as opposed to my main laptop, and a file has been randomly encrypted, and I can't seem to access it from here. I'm going to check to make sure I can access it on my main laptop (which is where I originally saved it on) later, when I'm not at class, but it's very annoying since it's the one file I want to access.

For the record, I've already tried un-checking the "Properties --> Advance --> Encrypt" box, but it never applies / saves.

My mini runs 1 GB RAM, Windows XP Service Pack 3, and my external is a 250 GB "Passport." Any help would be appreciated!

RobbieThe1st
Templar GrandMaster

#6 Post by RobbieThe1st »

Copy the content off onto another drive, then delete the original folder, re-copy it back onto that drive?

Also, you may want to use some nice cloud-backup solution like SpiderOak so you can keep it in sync between machines as well as have a nice backup copy. Oh, and it also versions it for you, so you can restore to a previous version if you break something. </shameless plug>

JediGuy
Zombicidal Maniac

#7 Post by JediGuy »

Hooray for bringing this back... :roll:

Alright, guys, I've got kind of a serious problem. I use a WD 500-Gig My Passport External Harddrive for a bunch of extra storage. Now, the thing was working a few days ago, but the past two days, it won't be recognized in any computer I've tried to put it in. Occasionally, a message about "No driver," will show up, and I don't know how to fix it.

I could really use the help, guys :/ There's a lot of important files on here. I've replaced the USB 3.0 cable, and I've made sure it's not a problem with the device itself (still powers on, fan works, no clicking noise).

Jazzthren
Apprentice

#8 Post by Jazzthren »

Did it come with a driver installation disk? If not, check on the manufacturer's site to see if there are any necessary drivers you need for it.

Also, I found this on the product description page:
Note: Compatibility may vary depending on user's hardware configuration and operating system.
It doesn't elaborate much on that, except that reformatting will be required for MacOS X Leopard and Snow Leopard.

"You may clip our wings, but we will always remember what it was like to fly."

avwolf
Templar Inner Circle

#9 Post by avwolf »

Personally, I think it sounds like it might be a fault with the enclosure. If you can open it up, you should find a regular hard drive inside. At 500GB, it's probably a SATA drive. If you open the enclosure, you can remove the hard drive, and then open up your computer, and plug the hard drive into it directly. If the drive is okay, you'll be able to access it that way, and you'll just need to buy a new enclosure. If the disk is bad, well, then you know, and can try some other tricks.

-- Edit --
Corrected drive size.

TailsAndEars
Apprentice

#10 Post by TailsAndEars »

avwolf wrote:If you can open it up, you should find a regular hard drive inside. At 300GB, it's probably a SATA drive. If you open the enclosure, you can remove the hard drive, and then open up your computer, and plug the hard drive into it directly. If the drive is okay, you'll be able to access it that way, and you'll just need to buy a new enclosure.
That would work except for one small detail. It's not a full size external drive. It's a mini external drive which uses a laptop sized hard drive. Only thing I can suggest is getting another external drive enclosure. Take the hard drive out of the old enclosure and put it in the new one and see if it works. You can buy just the enclosures with out the hard drives installed in them.

For example I use this one right now with a 250gb drive out of an old laptop that got cooked.

avwolf
Templar Inner Circle

#11 Post by avwolf »

I don't believe it matters with a SATA drive. Their connectors look pretty identical to me. Now, back in the day, you'd need an adapter to convert a 2.5" drive's connectors to the 3.5" style of connectors, but I don't believe that's necessary any longer. Waiting on confirmation of the type of drive we're looking at.

RobbieThe1st
Templar GrandMaster

#12 Post by RobbieThe1st »

If it's a PATA(many-pin connector) laptop drive, just get a $5 usb->sata/pata adaptor and use that.
If it's a SATA drive, you can just use standard sata connections. Oh, and they are hot-pluggable, so you can even plug in a sata drive internally with the PC running. I do it all the time.