OS Preference

For tech wizards and n00bs alike. Questions, answers, or just general hoo-haa.

Moderator: Moderators

What OS are you using?

Windows 9x,2K, or XP
81%
Linux (Tell us what Distro)
11%
Mac (Say what version)
8%
Other (Tell us what!) =D
No votes

Total votes: 64

Bluesummers

#31 Post by Bluesummers »

i use Xp and a mac when i have to do art stuff. i really wish imovie was on windows.
-If you wish to be a success in the world, promise everything and deliver nothing-
#twokindsmilk were the cool people are

ktemkin
Traveler

#32 Post by ktemkin »

I use a hand-modified version of windows XP for my normal daily computing, Windows Vista on my downstairs computer for gaming, and Fedora for some of my servers. I'm looking into aqquiring a macintosh for video editing, even though I hate macs.

Bluesummers

#33 Post by Bluesummers »

yes, macs and apples suck
-If you wish to be a success in the world, promise everything and deliver nothing-

Bluesummers

#34 Post by Bluesummers »

i forgot about the Ibooks....they kick [censored].....we will have to see if the new porcessors help AT ALL with mac/apple gamming and or other programs

Wolfpaws
Traveler

#35 Post by Wolfpaws »

Linux! (tired of Windows hiccups)
I have been using windows from 3.1 to '98. Got like million of BSODs (yes, on XP as well).
I was once curious about the "linux hype", I managed to get a linux CD and installed it. Didn't look back anymore...
I've been using XP and windows 2000 at work, so I know all about those, too ;)

I switched to Ubuntu, but I tried most of the distros that may people haven't even heard about... Tried to create my own distro as well, but um... ouch.

So: Linux. Ubuntu.
(scanner support for Linux is still pretty bad, tho)
So it begins
http://www.between-the-shadows.com

My fur code:
FCW4ads/CF4ads A+ C- D- H+ M- P R+ T+++ W Z-> Sm- RLCT>A a cl+ d e- f++ h+ iwf+++ j p-> sm#
(decoder/encoder at http://winterwolf.co.uk/furcode)

willias15

#36 Post by willias15 »

I'm using Microsoft XP Pro, however if I were to get a new PC I might try Linux... but with Vista on its way perhaps not.

http://www.zefrank.com/theshow

ZeFrank= Incredibly Funny

Blue62
Master

#37 Post by Blue62 »

Love 98, and will avoid upgrading at all costs. Wordperfect 11 has an iteresting feature for those of you who are like me and have different systems at school and at on your own (school has XP professional):

You can work in Wordperfect 7, 8, 9, and MS Word. You can also change modes while it's running. type it up using Wp8 and save as word (.doc) file!
No warrior should allow his weapons to rust.
Let me cure your infection, it pains me to share it.

If you can't run, you crawl. If you can't do that....well you know the rest...

pocketlint82
Apprentice

#38 Post by pocketlint82 »

WinXP all the way...

...though my roommate just got a new Macbook. Duo core processor with a total of 4ghz... I'm jealous. My 2 year old gateway still has just a 2ghz processor. (but it does have an amd mobile athlon 64, if that counts for anything... it did 2 years ago, but now it just outdated) :cry:

RobbieThe1st
Templar GrandMaster

#39 Post by RobbieThe1st »

currently win xp sp1, and a install of Debian, which doesn't work, and im trying to figure out how to get it to work properly, then i will get everything running on it, and... NO MORE XP! (i am not very happy with windows media player somehow getting some drm crap installed, including a "blackbox.dll" file, and it took me 15 mins to remove it all!

dont get me wrong, i dont support piracy, however i beleve YOU should be the one deciding if something is piracy, and YOU deciding to do something, not some stupid program, or, even worse, the company's server...

it could easily be used for censorship... just think: you see a page that was leaked, and you get a copy of it, but the only viewing program that is usable with it is a TC one. theoretically, the company who owns the rights to this page could order it to destruct, and suddenly, every copy on every computer is gone, or they could simply change the file... instant rewrite of history. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trusted_computing

Secure I/O - this would make it pretty much impossible to record a drm file you have onto, like, a mp3 or wav format, to write to cd or your mp3 player, amongst other things.
Memory curtaining - means you couldn't crack the drm encryption, or edit anything someone didn't want you to edit.

Sealed storage - no more copying your music files from device to device and having multiple copies of it, or editing a file you shouldnt, like a drm- compatable player, so you can rip a copy for your own use...

Remote attestation - no more editing a game, and the game company could stop you from using it at any time, or make sure you had the latest un-edited version without you having any say in it...

under Possible applications for Trusted Computing, you can see exact;y what i am saying. oh, and with Remote attestation, no more privacy...

Disputes and criticism of trusted computing read this, and you will see exactly the problem with it. oh, and what if something(copying your audio file and sending a copy to someone else), which is legal in canada, is illegal here? would it work in canada? probly not... this could be a huge problem.

as it is now, if someone uploads a video to youtube, and i take a copy of it, it will play. youtube cannot stop it from playing. on the other hand, with TC, if youtube decided to make me(or everyone) not be able to play it, we couldn't. that is scary.

once my computer is all fixed with linux, including kernal 2.4, no stupid company is going to tell me what i can and cant do with the files they give me, though this doesn't mean im going to go crazy and pirate it, all it means is that i have control, and not someone else.

avwolf
Templar Inner Circle

#40 Post by avwolf »

WinXP Pro SP2 on my main box, as well as my work laptop, though I'm trying to finangle a copy of Vista. If I can't get it through the school on the cheap, it'll be a few years before I upgrade -- I tend to be a slow adopter of new OSes (I didn't go from Win98 to WinXP until 2004). My personal laptop has Gentoo Linux on it. Nothing like the bleeding edge. I also manage servers at work, most of which have Fedora Core 4, 5, or 6. I'm in the midst of setting up a couple of new ones to use Debian (because I very much dislike FC). My one complaint so far is that a base Debian install doesn't even seem to include gcc/g++ and most of the libraries.

Cloud
Traveler

#41 Post by Cloud »

I'm using Mac OS X (v10.4.8), which I like. I have a Mighty Mouse - it has an ickle little scroll ball and touch sensitive top so I can right and left click. I recommend a Mac to anyone except games enthusiasts (but not the Might Mouse as ball keeps clogging up).

Where I work they use PC's they're okay but they keep going wrong and are as ugly as a smoker in the rain hacking out the contents of his lungs. Perhaps the going wrong thing is not their fault. They do seem to work okay for me and do what they are supposed to do. They just seem dull and severely lacking in any inherent style (I think they are made by Dell).

Yes, I know I've just mixed up the hardware with the OS, but it all counts. And I don't think the Windows OSs look that good either, although Microsoft do seen to be learning from Apple slowly.

I've also used Linux (Ubuntu and SuSE) but I prefer my Mac.

Sai_rabbit

#42 Post by Sai_rabbit »

I dual boot Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 and Debian Etch. I barely ever even touch The XP drive anymore, the only reason it's still there is that my family is computer illiterate and they refuse to use Linux even though I have it setup to look and feel exactly the same... I honestly didn't even have to get that technical in setting up my Debian system. I never once had to step outside the GUI(though i did have to install the Nvidia driver in the console it wasn't really necessary for the system to work).

pic of my desktop w/ vista-ized window dec...
http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m127 ... esktop.png

VincentValentine

#43 Post by VincentValentine »

I've been using Windows OS' my whole life...I doubt it will change. My current version is Win XP.

My friend has a Mac...he has nothing but good things do say about it...but from my point of view...it doesn't seem like it is an OS meant for me.

I've done a course about on tech support for computers...so I've installed and tried Linux before...seemed pretty forward...but comparing it to Windows...I think I just like the looks and feel of the Windows user interface.

Perhaps it's a bad reason to think about OS'...but if I don't feel comfortable using it...it probably wouldn't work out for me.

The Prince of Darkness
Let the darkness consume you...

kaiser
New Citizen

#44 Post by kaiser »

VincentValentine wrote:.... Perhaps it's a bad reason to think about OS'...but if I don't feel comfortable using it...it probably wouldn't work out for me.
I get nearly the same responses from the users we are still switching from NT4 to XP here. I don't need to say the decisionmakers here decided not to force the users to a Windows XP training :roll: .

I just think, if you have worked years with NT4 (or whatever Windows), the change from there to whatever OS will throw everything you are used to in pieces. I have already seen the changes from NT4 to XP and from XP to Vista, a lot of things are in places where you don't think they are.

So I would say, if you change from XP to Vista or XP to some "easy start" linux (OpenSuSE, Fedora Core or Ubuntu, for just some examples), you are facing identical troubles.
-------------------------------------------------------------
"It's you isn't it? THE B*STARD OPERATOR FROM HELL!" "In the flesh, on the phone and in your account..."

RobbieThe1st
Templar GrandMaster

#45 Post by RobbieThe1st »

kaiser wrote:
VincentValentine wrote:.... Perhaps it's a bad reason to think about OS'...but if I don't feel comfortable using it...it probably wouldn't work out for me.
I get nearly the same responses from the users we are still switching from NT4 to XP here. I don't need to say the decisionmakers here decided not to force the users to a Windows XP training :roll: .

I just think, if you have worked years with NT4 (or whatever Windows), the change from there to whatever OS will throw everything you are used to in pieces. I have already seen the changes from NT4 to XP and from XP to Vista, a lot of things are in places where you don't think they are.

So I would say, if you change from XP to Vista or XP to some "easy start" linux (OpenSuSE, Fedora Core or Ubuntu, for just some examples), you are facing identical troubles.
Exactly, and if you are facing identical troubles, why go with Vista, which costs a huge amount of money, and has a lot of bugs, when you can go with free(or inexpensive) linux! Not to mention that as company's have been using linux to power there servers for years, its not like they havnt done anything with linux... Also, hardware now supports linux... it looks like the end of the line for windows! (die evil microsoft).