OS Preference

For tech wizards and n00bs alike. Questions, answers, or just general hoo-haa.

Moderator: Moderators

What OS are you using?

Windows 9x,2K, or XP
81%
Linux (Tell us what Distro)
11%
Mac (Say what version)
8%
Other (Tell us what!) =D
No votes

Total votes: 64

Ashpool
Templar Master

OS Preference

#1 Post by Ashpool »

So, what OS's do you guys use, and why?

I personally use Windows XP, because I am working on learning C#.NET and ASP.NET.

And if this turns into a flamewar or MS Flame session, lockage will follow.
Fastchapter wrote:...now the kitchen smells like summer rain and liquid poo.

Takyoji
Traveler

#2 Post by Takyoji »

Windows XP, because Mac is EVIL. And a Mac mouse only has ONE button, ONE BUTTON! *continues ranting about macs* I generally use XP because its more conveniant. But since I'm a computer junkyard in my city I also have Win95,Win98,Win98 SE, and Win3.1

Ashpool
Templar Master

#3 Post by Ashpool »

Takyoji wrote:Windows XP, because Mac is EVIL. And a Mac mouse only has ONE button, ONE BUTTON! *continues ranting about macs* I generally use XP because its more conveint. But since I'm a computer junkyard in my city I also have Win95,Win98,Win98 SE, and Win3.1
Macs aren't that bad, and I think they have two button mice now.

Yash
Administrator

#4 Post by Yash »

I've been using Windows 2000 Professional since 2002, when I first recieved my computer.

Windows 2000 pro is more stable than XP, but in turn does not have some of the excellent features such as system restore.
Forum Rules.

"Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain - but it takes character and self-control to be understanding and forgiving." - Dale Carnegie

Kenji_Kitsune

#5 Post by Kenji_Kitsune »

I like XP, but I always will think that 98 is a better and more stable OP (except for the lack of the New Found Hardware Wiz.)

EDIT: The last MAC I ever used was one from like, 1994 in like, 4th grade.

Ashpool
Templar Master

#6 Post by Ashpool »

kenji wrote:I like XP, but I always will think that 98 is a better and more stable OP (except for the lack of the New Found Hardware Wiz.)
98 is nowhere near as stable as XP. I use 98 and XP on two different computers, and the XP one runs SOO much better.

Ashpool
Templar Master

#7 Post by Ashpool »

Geogriffith wrote:98 is reasonably stable, if you know what you're doing. But it's no longer compatible with anything beyond web browsing, and the lack of things like the ability to close processes really hamper it. It's still useful for old programs (read: games) that don't work in XP (even with the compatibility override thing).

XP is really the only consumer-oriented OS right now. And I'm not dissing Linux (I'm going to be able to resize my ntfs partition in a few weeks, and then I'll finally be able to get back into learning linux :D), but the target audiences are entirely different.
Macs are reasonably consumer oriented, and I would reccomend them to people, though they do lack some of the programs that windows has, unfortunately.

kaiser
New Citizen

#8 Post by kaiser »

just bought me a T42 (you know IBM ThinkPad). I think I will mostly use Linux on it, since IBM TPs are well supported under Linux thanks to IBM. ... just got into crazy laughing when i had read the hardware recommendation for Vista (fka Longhorn). So, i won't be going on that way, at least at my home PC, what i have to use at work doesn't really matter me. I get along with Windows and Linux (and Novell), some OSes seem to have more problems than others (at least in my job i get paid for fixing damned Windows-Boxes, so a migration to Linux maybe would make me workless :wink: ), darn Windows NT4.
-------------------------------------------------------------
"It's you isn't it? THE B*STARD OPERATOR FROM HELL!" "In the flesh, on the phone and in your account..."

Ashpool
Templar Master

#9 Post by Ashpool »

kaiser wrote:just bought me a T42 (you know IBM ThinkPad). I think I will mostly use Linux on it, since IBM TPs are well supported under Linux thanks to IBM. ... just got into crazy laughing when i had read the hardware recommendation for Vista (fka Longhorn). So, i won't be going on that way, at least at my home PC, what i have to use at work doesn't really matter me. I get along with Windows and Linux (and Novell), some OSes seem to have more problems than others (at least in my job i get paid for fixing darn Windows-Boxes, so a migration to Linux maybe would make me workless :wink: ), darn Windows NT4.
I personally think Vista will be worth it though, expecially considering I've used it. My dad is an MSDN subscriber and has the Beta 1 of Windows Vista running in a virtual machine on one of his work computers. =D

kaiser
New Citizen

#10 Post by kaiser »

Delusional Kangaroo wrote:I personally think Vista will be worth it though, expecially considering I've used it. My dad is an MSDN subscriber and has the Beta 1 of Windows Vista running in a virtual machine on one of his work computers. =D
and what has it got what Windows XP has not?

[ ]Indexing = Delayed for next version
[ ]New Filesystem (WinFS) = Delayed
[ ]Monad, Unix-like Command Shell = Delayed

[X]New Version of the crappiest Browser ever
[X]Some new GUI-Features
[X]New Windows-Games (updated Minesweeper, ...)
[X]more Digital Restrictions Management (aka DRM)

and therefore i had to pay a HighEnd-GPU, -CPU and Tons of RAM? Never ... And I bet that this is not only my opinion.
-------------------------------------------------------------
"It's you isn't it? THE B*STARD OPERATOR FROM HELL!" "In the flesh, on the phone and in your account..."

Ashpool
Templar Master

#11 Post by Ashpool »

kaiser wrote:[ ]Indexing = Delayed for next version
[ ]New Filesystem (WinFS) = Delayed
[ ]Monad, Unix-like Command Shell = Delayed

[X]New Version of the crappiest Browser ever
[X]Some new GUI-Features
[X]New Windows-Games (updated Minesweeper, ...)
[X]more Digital Restrictions Management (aka DRM)
IE 7 will be for all windows systems, and IE wasn't the crappiest browser to begin with, it just doesn't have the functionality of Firefox and others. Plus, IE 7 is going to be just as good as Firefox, seeing as I've used the Beta 1 of it as well. And on another note, the DRM won't hurt anything if you don't use anything illegal anyways. I'm strictly against software piracy, so it wouldn't hamper anything I do. And having used the Beta of Vista, I can tell it will still improve on XP a lot, even if it doesn't have everything they wanted to put in it.

black_ip
Citizen
Location: Austria - The only kangaroos here are in the frigging zoo dang it!!

#12 Post by black_ip »

Win 2003 server edition. It's zeh best win that you can actually get on the market. And yeah, I tested threw all the win vers.

Kenji_Kitsune

#13 Post by Kenji_Kitsune »

Delusional Kangaroo wrote:
kenji wrote:I like XP, but I always will think that 98 is a better and more stable OP (except for the lack of the New Found Hardware Wiz.)
98 is nowhere near as stable as XP. I use 98 and XP on two different computers, and the XP one runs SOO much better.
Then why does my XP crash like, every other time I use it? I've had 98 for 7 years now, and I've had it crash about ten times. I guess the computer matters too, not just the OP...

EDIT: I guess it is just a matter of opinion, and experience, I probably over use my XP now that I can actuially use computers right, the only thing I ever did on the 98 was play a few games on it.

Rednaxela
Traveler

#14 Post by Rednaxela »

I use Gentoo Linux, except when I'm installing linux for the use of others, in which case, Ubuntu.
I am the colorful bland... I am the eccentric silent...

Michelle Zen
Merchant

#15 Post by Michelle Zen »

Takyoji wrote:Windows XP, because Mac is EVIL. And a Mac mouse only has ONE button, ONE BUTTON! *continues ranting about macs* I generally use XP because its more conveniant. But since I'm a computer junkyard in my city I also have Win95,Win98,Win98 SE, and Win3.1
in fact, have a look at ctrlaltdel's comic on insulting mac as a littletykes "my first computer", heh heh...[/img]

Love, Hate... And Then Love Again.