Useful Firefox extensions

For tech wizards and n00bs alike. Questions, answers, or just general hoo-haa.

Moderator: Moderators

Holy_458
Le soldat sans Grammaire

Re: Useful Firefox extensions

#31 Post by Holy_458 »

If you use twitter (for some crazy and stupid reason like I do) a nice app to have is TwitterFox.

Basically our own little twitter down in the bottom corner of your screen for you to send/receive updates without ever haveing to visit the site all the time. Rather nice If your using twitter to know when new comics or videos you like are being posted, you you just want to keep track of friends.
JediGuy wrote:Why am I sensing that that's going to wind up in a signature somewhere?
Wynni wrote:I love you weirdos. You're my kind of mixed nuts.

No Clemency
Templar GrandMaster

#32 Post by No Clemency »

Also you might want to try the Firefox tor add-ons if you ever want to hide what your doing, basically changes your ip as your surfing so you can get around school blockers and it makes it a lot harder to track you. (It's kinda of like a cheap tunneling type add-on, not the same, but it works) There are several versions of it. All work about the same, so enjoy.

Skipscreen is also a nice add-on, it skips useless wait screens for different websites like rapidshare and megavideo where you have to wait so long before you can download something. Well no more waiting and all downloading.

Download Helper Bascially it can download any video from anywhere if you can play it and see it, it will download it. It's a nice trick on megavideo so you can download the video with out watching it, meaning no time limit. Just simply start the video, tell it to download this video leave the site and your download will be there shortly with no timing out.

???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Okay, now my turn to ask if y'all know of any program or add-on that can extract or copy pictures through links. So in other words if you have an index page with tons of links to different pictures. Instead of going through all the pics. and saving them, a program that goes in there and saves all the pictures for you. Basically I want this so I can download not only 2kind comic but some other comics real easily and then put them on my ipod for on the go use. |D

xdeath_kittyx
Traveler

#33 Post by xdeath_kittyx »

Holy_458 wrote:If you use twitter (for some crazy and stupid reason like I do) a nice app to have is TwitterFox.
That app is VERY useful. It makes it sooo easy to get tweets.
So usefull extensions I have are Cacheviewer, Foxyproxy and Stylish (The last one isn't really useful, but very cool!)

FoobyKamikaze
Foodophile

#34 Post by FoobyKamikaze »

FoxTab
Awesome and handy way to visually keep track of multiple tabs.
Though it's only really useful in wall- or grid-mode, the others are fun to try out.

No Clemency
Templar GrandMaster

#35 Post by No Clemency »

Lets see the first one is DownThemall, I'm not sure if someone already talked about this one or not, but it basically allows you to download what ever you want at a level 1 bases. It comes in handy if there is a lot of stuff on one web page you want whether it be videos to pictures to music, it can download all of them for you without you doing it one at a time.

Next would be Firedownload which makes your download speed much much faster. It has a few glitches in it, but overall it's pretty good, and quite a bit faster when downloading large files. It's supposed to triple your download speed, I'm not so sure about that, but it does seem to be a little faster all the same.

Next would be smart bookmarks bar which allows you to get rid of all those nasty words next to your tool bar bookmarks, so it's just icons so you can have a considerable more bookmarks up there which makes it much tidy and handy. Plus a lot more room on it than before. Before you could have like 5 or 6 I think and now you can have like 25 or something, haven't hit the end yet so don't really know, but you can have a lot more bookmarks on your tool-bar simply because their just icons, no words.

Next would be United States English Dictionary which adds more words to your spell check dictionary so it recognizes more of your words, very hand for bad spellers like me.

And I was going to show you one more, but I can't find the name of it. It is a Japanese add-on on, so I can't find the name of it. It has an English name, but I can't find it so yeah sorry about that. But what it did was put foxy in your download manager and other screens that are normally boring he gets in and makes them interesting. Maybe one of y'all know what the name of this add-on it and can tell everyone, but I can't find the name right now, so sorry.

Next is an add-on called Favicon Picker which allows you to make your own icons for websites, which comes in handy when if you use the add-on I spoke of earlier with turning your bookmark tool bar to just icons no words. So this way if a website doesn't have an icon for itself you can easily make an icon for it with just a few clicks. Very handy.

Next would be FoxLingo which is able to translate any web page, into English or what ever your default language is, it's obviously not perfect, but with some common since, it gets the job done, helpful when looking at foreign sites.

Finally I would say Personas For Fire fox, I love this add-on, I've even made my own persona so, I love it. For those who don't know about it even though so many have already posted on this add-on, it makes your top and bottom browser bars different,with custom images and such, I love it. Check out the one I made and see what you think.http://www.getpersonas.com/persona/30813
I'm even thinking about making a 2kinds one next, but we will see how that goes, no promises.

Ketira

#36 Post by Ketira »

You forgot about NoScript. This is a wonderful extension that will automatically block nasty javascripts from executing in Firefox. You have to manually allow the friendlies in (like this forum ;) ), but other than that, I love it and found it to be a wonderful extension.

Also, with version 3.5 of Firefox, you can have your very own Persona! This is like a skin that covers the header and footer parts of Firefox, and there's even a tutorial on the site for it! You have to download it first from the Mozilla Labs website.

No Clemency
Templar GrandMaster

#37 Post by No Clemency »

Ketira wrote:Also, with version 3.5 of Firefox, you can have your very own Persona! This is like a skin that covers the header and footer parts of Firefox, and there's even a tutorial on the site for it! You have to download it first from the Mozilla Labs website.
Yeah, the persona isn't just for 3.5, you can get it with lower versions as well. I'm not sure what's the lowest you can get it on, but I know you can get it at 3.0 as well, because I had it when I was running 3.0. Also this is the exact same thing as the Fire Fox add-on that I spoke about above. This is nothing more than just an add-on for Fire Fox that you can get, it's in now way special to version 3.5, so for everyone else who is running on an older version for whatever reason, I know that it works at least down to 3.0, so go for it and enjoy!!! |D

etam
Apprentice

#38 Post by etam »

I tried Personas and I think that they'll never be as cool as standard skins.
Btw. I use this one: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/812

No Clemency
Templar GrandMaster

#39 Post by No Clemency »

Hey guys, I kept my promise after all, I just finished making my 2kinds persona browser bar so all 2kinds fans can surf the net in 2kinds style. |D |D |D

Here is the link. Enjoy!!!http://www.getpersonas.com/persona/30813

P.S. Make sure you get the persona add-on in order to use this persona. https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... test/10900

No Clemency
Templar GrandMaster

#40 Post by No Clemency »

Alright here is my flipped version of my 2kinds persona browser. So you might find this one to be less cluttered and more user friendly, but you can take your pick, enjoy!!! |D |D |D

Normal
Link:http://www.getpersonas.com/persona/50299

Flipped
Link:http://www.getpersonas.com/persona/51028

P.S. Sorry about the double post, but I couldn't get it to flow with my last post, so sorry about that! :(

FoobyKamikaze
Foodophile

#41 Post by FoobyKamikaze »

No Clemency wrote:And I was going to show you one more, but I can't find the name of it. It is a Japanese add-on on, so I can't find the name of it. It has an English name, but I can't find it so yeah sorry about that. But what it did was put foxy in your download manager and other screens that are normally boring he gets in and makes them interesting. Maybe one of y'all know what the name of this add-on it and can tell everyone, but I can't find the name right now, so sorry.
Ka-chow.

No Clemency
Templar GrandMaster

#42 Post by No Clemency »

FoobyKamikaze wrote:
No Clemency wrote:And I was going to show you one more, but I can't find the name of it. It is a Japanese add-on on, so I can't find the name of it. It has an English name, but I can't find it so yeah sorry about that. But what it did was put foxy in your download manager and other screens that are normally boring he gets in and makes them interesting. Maybe one of y'all know what the name of this add-on it and can tell everyone, but I can't find the name right now, so sorry.
Ka-chow.
Yeah, that's the one I was talking about, Thanks!!! |D

FoobyKamikaze
Foodophile

#43 Post by FoobyKamikaze »

You're welcome.

I just wish I'd see him in more places than my Add-on window. I don't seem to use any of the other places he appears :\

etam
Apprentice

#44 Post by etam »

back to the topic:
Fast Dial
It's like Spped Dial from opera.

Linkification
Converts text links into genuine, clickable links...

No Clemency
Templar GrandMaster

#45 Post by No Clemency »

FoobyKamikaze wrote:You're welcome.

I just wish I'd see him in more places than my Add-on window. I don't seem to use any of the other places he appears :\
Yeah, I agree, I don't get to see him that much either, maybe they will eventually come up with an updated version of it, but I kinda doubt it considering how old this add-on is. :(