Will I need a new power supply?

For tech wizards and n00bs alike. Questions, answers, or just general hoo-haa.

Moderator: Moderators

Cessna Skyhawk
Templar Inner Circle

Will I need a new power supply?

#1 Post by Cessna Skyhawk »

So Lief was helping me pick out new computer parts yesterday, and I've decided, when I'm stable and can afford it (probably not for a long while, and the hardware I plan to buy will be out of date, but that's sort of irrelevant), I plan on upgrading to an AMD Phenom II X4, an ASUS M4A78LT motherboard, and DDR3 RAM.

I'm using a 500W PSU currently. Would that be insufficient? Should I plan to upgrade it, or not?
da Vinci wrote:Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return.

RobbieThe1st
Templar GrandMaster

Re: Will I need a new power supply?

#2 Post by RobbieThe1st »

Cessna Skyhawk wrote:So Lief was helping me pick out new computer parts yesterday, and I've decided, when I'm stable and can afford it (probably not for a long while, and the hardware I plan to buy will be out of date, but that's sort of irrelevant), I plan on upgrading to an AMD Phenom II X4, an ASUS M4A78LT motherboard, and DDR3 RAM.

I'm using a 500W PSU currently. Would that be insufficient? Should I plan to upgrade it, or not?
What's the model?
If it's a Corsair or Antec, no. If it's a CheapChineeseCorp, plan to upgrade.

Cessna Skyhawk
Templar Inner Circle

#3 Post by Cessna Skyhawk »

RobbieThe1st wrote:
Cessna Skyhawk wrote:So Lief was helping me pick out new computer parts yesterday, and I've decided, when I'm stable and can afford it (probably not for a long while, and the hardware I plan to buy will be out of date, but that's sort of irrelevant), I plan on upgrading to an AMD Phenom II X4, an ASUS M4A78LT motherboard, and DDR3 RAM.

What's the model?
It's an Ultra. Does that fall under CCC?
da Vinci wrote:Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return.

RobbieThe1st
Templar GrandMaster

#4 Post by RobbieThe1st »

Cessna Skyhawk wrote:
RobbieThe1st wrote:

What's the model?
It's an Ultra. Does that fall under CCC?
Probably, a google search for the model might turn up something - see if there's any real reviews for it(as in taking it with a dc-load tester, not just a PC)