I/O errors on new HD

For tech wizards and n00bs alike. Questions, answers, or just general hoo-haa.

Moderator: Moderators

Symphona
Apprentice

I/O errors on new HD

#1 Post by Symphona »

As the title states, I've been getting issues with copying things to and from one of the partitions in my new 2Tb harddrive. Its currently split into three partitions, one main Windows drive (working fine, 500gb), one currently blank but will be a Linux boot (another 500GB) and the remaining 800 Gigs is a media storage section. I had issues formatting the 800gig it on Vista, however 7 just went straight through and formatted it fine, annoyingly.

End result is, trying to back up my Ipod gives me I/O errors, and trying to access some pictures on there does the same thing. Firefox has a whale of a time freezing the Entire thing if I try and save a picture to it, but its fine when I save it to the windows Partition.

Any Ideas?

Cheers, Sym
Linux is hard...

RobbieThe1st
Templar GrandMaster

Re: I/O errors on new HD

#2 Post by RobbieThe1st »

Probably bad blocks in whatever section of the disk is that holds the one partition.

Well, boot onto a Linux LiveCD, and run "sudo badblocks -c 16384 -s -v /dev/sda*" * being a number from 1 to X; and is the partition number(1= first partition, etc). This will do a read-test of each partition.
Report back what it says.
Also, the output of "sudo smartctl -a /dev/sda" would be helpful; especially the "Reallocated_Sector_Ct" and "Offline_Uncorrectable" values.

Symphona
Apprentice

#3 Post by Symphona »

The bad block scan came back completely clean, and it doesn't seem to have smartctl installed, nor is that the apt-get package name...Googling it now, will try and get those results to you soon.

*Edit*

Installed it, and the output is saved here: http://pastebin.com/FJbF3CbQ

To help, the ones you requested are:
ID# ATTRIBUTE_NAME FLAG VALUE WORST THRESH TYPE UPDATED WHEN_FAILED RAW_VALUE
5 Reallocated_Sector_Ct 0x0033 252 252 010 Pre-fail Always - 0
198 Offline_Uncorrectable 0x0030 252 252 000 Old_age Offline - 0
Linux is hard...

RobbieThe1st
Templar GrandMaster

#4 Post by RobbieThe1st »

Symphona wrote:The bad block scan came back completely clean, and it doesn't seem to have smartctl installed, nor is that the apt-get package name...Googling it now, will try and get those results to you soon.

*Edit*

Installed it, and the output is saved here: http://pastebin.com/FJbF3CbQ

To help, the ones you requested are:
ID# ATTRIBUTE_NAME FLAG VALUE WORST THRESH TYPE UPDATED WHEN_FAILED RAW_VALUE
5 Reallocated_Sector_Ct 0x0033 252 252 010 Pre-fail Always - 0
198 Offline_Uncorrectable 0x0030 252 252 000 Old_age Offline - 0
Well, it looks OK to me.
Did you run badblocks on each and every partition you have? Or just one of them?
----
If it's still doing this, you may end up having to copy your files off of whatever partition it was, do a full format of that partition, and copy things back into it; it may be a soft/data glitch of some sort.

aj
Consistently Inconsistent

#5 Post by aj »

Does Linux have problems saving anything into the media partition?
avwolf wrote:"No dating dog-girls, young man, your father is terribly allergic!"
y̸̶o͏͏ų̕ sh̡o̸̵u̶̕l̴d̵̡n̵͠'̵́͠t͜͢ ̀͜͝h̶̡àv̸e͡ ̛d̷̨͡o͏̀ne ̶͠͡t҉́h̕a̧͞t̨҉́.̵̧͞.͠͞.͟

Symphona
Apprentice

#6 Post by Symphona »

Robbie, Yea, that copy everything off and reformat was a last ditch solution, I doubt I can fit everything back onto my old 320Gb...and I only scanned the affected partition, one is still raw and the other is working fine as my boot for windows, I assumed they were ok.

aj, I haven't actually tried, but this partition was giving me grief when I first installed it, not formatting etc., So I'm inclined to that being the issue. I think overall a full drive format is my only answer...

Cheers anyway.

*edit* After playing with it, I've noticed some odd things. Although as I said images saved directly there cause issues, my video collection is pure, and I can watch all of it. My existing pictures folder which I copied over there at the same time as the videos also seems to be uncorrupted, although the images load quite slowly sometimes. Not sure if its relevant, but curious nonetheless.
Linux is hard...

RobbieThe1st
Templar GrandMaster

#7 Post by RobbieThe1st »

/listen/ to the harddisk when it's doing it. Are you hearing a click-click...click-click...click-click....clickclickclickclickclick noise? That's what you hear with a bad sector(or, at least one that it's having trouble reading).

Symphona
Apprentice

#8 Post by Symphona »

Unfortunately with my fans going at full pelt (or even half pelt) its hard enough to hear myself think, nevermind a hard drive :S

I need water cooling....
Linux is hard...