Computer asasitance reqired.

For tech wizards and n00bs alike. Questions, answers, or just general hoo-haa.

Moderator: Moderators

SirSlaughter
Templar Inner Circle

Re: Computer asasitance reqired.

#1 Post by SirSlaughter »

advanced system care (free) This boosts performance and kills spyware and addware. it also helps with your comuter security and opstomises it considerabley. I don't know if that can help you with the firefox but if it is a virus or addware that is screwing you over this might help.

Other than that i say run a full virus scan just to be sure and try to defrag your hard drive and see if a fragmented file is screwing you over. probably not but it shouldn't hurt to try.

Maybe you can try to reinstall it i know if you have firefox or something your firefox installer may very well be in you download folder and you can repair it using that.
edit: i don't know what browser you use but it helps with all of them.

D3ADKi113R
Templar GrandMaster

#2 Post by D3ADKi113R »

Im not a pro with computers but go too a second computer and download chrome, put it on a USB and throw it on your computer.
Where to find me:
FA: http://www.furaffinity.net/user/d3adki113r/
Discord: SnowyLoli#4512 (let me know you're from the forums!)

D3ADKi113R
Templar GrandMaster

#3 Post by D3ADKi113R »

Do A one week restore?
Where to find me:

SirSlaughter
Templar Inner Circle

#4 Post by SirSlaughter »

D3ADKi113R wrote:Do A one week restore?
That is actually a good idea. nice one
But i say do the virus scan, and a fragmented file means that it is either out of a little corrupt or worn down sort of. (at least from what i have learned if im wrong please correct me)

And i say the restore is a wonderful idea and the usb idea. Why didn't i think of that? *head desk*

hm...let me think of what else... OH I KNOW! has the computer been severely crippled or is it just bugging out a little bit? if it is cripppled to an extreme, just take out the hard drive, put it in an external case, go to another computer and plug in the hard drive via usb port, now run a full virus scan on your hard drive and see what pops up. very easy and if you are careful with the parts nothing should go wrong. keep magnets away!

If it is just bugging out a bit do either a restore to a previous point in time so your files are unnafected. if it is too crippled immediately put any files you want or need on a large usb or external hard drive and do a full system restore to factory settings. that way you can keep your computer and you don't have to spend money to get it fixed.

D3ADKi113R
Templar GrandMaster

#5 Post by D3ADKi113R »

SirSlaughter wrote:
D3ADKi113R wrote:Do A one week restore?
That is actually a good idea. nice one
But i say do the virus scan, and a fragmented file means that it is either out of a little corrupt or worn down sort of. (at least from what i have learned if im wrong please correct me)

And i say the restore is a wonderful idea and the usb idea. Why didn't i think of that? *head desk*

hm...let me think of what else... OH I KNOW! has the computer been severely crippled or is it just bugging out a little bit? if it is cripppled to an extreme, just take out the hard drive, put it in an external case, go to another computer and plug in the hard drive via usb port, now run a full virus scan on your hard drive and see what pops up. very easy and if you are careful with the parts nothing should go wrong. keep magnets away!

If it is just bugging out a bit do either a restore to a previous point in time so your files are unnafected. if it is too crippled immediately put any files you want or need on a large usb or external hard drive and do a full system restore to factory settings. that way you can keep your computer and you don't have to spend money to get it fixed.
If you put files on a large USB or hard drive DO use another computer to scan them JUST in case.
Where to find me:

RobbieThe1st
Templar GrandMaster

#6 Post by RobbieThe1st »

I assume something simply got corrupted; malware typically would redirect you to ads and such - a crippled computer would be no use.

Just go download Firefox on another computer, use that instead. Seriously, if you're still using IE in this day and age... You probably shouldn't be allowed on the internet. IE 9 is something of an exception, but still... Chrome, Firefox and Opera are all much better replacements.

avwolf
Templar Inner Circle

#7 Post by avwolf »

SirSlaughter wrote:But i say do the virus scan, and a fragmented file means that it is either out of a little corrupt or worn down sort of. (at least from what i have learned if im wrong please correct me)
Okay, to understand file fragmentation, you have to understand a little bit about how disks and file systems work. I'm going to oversimply the model, but it'll take us where we need to go. A file is represented by the file system as a single item, but on the disk, it's treated as a series of blocks of data. The drive is only able to read a block at a time (not entirely true, but good enough), and so it obviously reads (and writes) faster if it can do it all in one sequence. That said, it doesn't have to -- a fragmented file is broken up into pieces which are scattered around the hard drive, so the drive has to go looking for each piece in the sequence. A defragmenter just moves those blocks around on the disk to try to get as many of them as possible lined up in a row. Fragmentation isn't really destructive, it's just not optimal. Generally, files end up fragmented when you do a lot of writing and deleting, as the deleted files will leave chunks of empty space which the new files try to write into. If there isn't enough "room" for all the blocks, the drive will put some into that space and then put the rest elsewhere, leaving the file fragmented. How your file system treats this situation affects how badly it fragments files; some file systems are better about this than others. In theory, one could write a file system that doesn't fragment any files, but any type of write access would be painfully slow, and the file system in question might easily end up using disk space very inefficiently. So most file systems shoot for a compromise between read and write accesses which can result in fragmented files over time.

Microsoft just put IE9 on Windows Update; though they're not forcing anyone to download it yet, it's a recommended update and you might have just had it go ahead and try to do the install. Obviously, if you're updating IE, it's going to get a little upset about a running IE instance. So before you get too far, restart the computer, and see if it's still behaving badly. If so, I agree with the others, do a system restore if you can.

And, hey, Robbie, I roll IE8 here at home. I only use Firefox at work because nothing compares to Firebug, otherwise I'd probably use IE as my primary browser there too.

SirSlaughter
Templar Inner Circle

#8 Post by SirSlaughter »

avwolf wrote:
SirSlaughter wrote:But i say do the virus scan, and a fragmented file means that it is either out of a little corrupt or worn down sort of. (at least from what i have learned if im wrong please correct me)
explanation about fragmented files
Thank you so much for that explanation Av. I now know much more about computers thanks to you. Now I can totally impress my friend Paul when i visit Germany. Hahaha

aj
Consistently Inconsistent

#9 Post by aj »

Only thing I can think of is to hit Win +R and type

Code: Select all

sfc /scannow
. It should open the system file checker which will verify that all Windows files are intact.

However, this requires that you have access to the original files somehow. Not sure if you an OEM disc, but it might not work.

It's fixed Windows problems for me in the past... Though. mind you, my problem was stuff like the computer refusing to startup properly because there was "insufficient memory". Not sure what happened, but SFC fixed it. Ran it in safe mode, because that was the only way the system actually loaded to the desktop. :|
avwolf wrote:"No dating dog-girls, young man, your father is terribly allergic!"
y̸̶o͏͏ų̕ sh̡o̸̵u̶̕l̴d̵̡n̵͠'̵́͠t͜͢ ̀͜͝h̶̡àv̸e͡ ̛d̷̨͡o͏̀ne ̶͠͡t҉́h̕a̧͞t̨҉́.̵̧͞.͠͞.͟

aj
Consistently Inconsistent

#10 Post by aj »

Gabriel of creosha wrote:Just tried tha after you told me aj, asked what file it wanted me to open it with.... but I found a loophole to get on the internet with ad ons.
o.O

Ok, yeah... that sounds like something's screwed up. What happens if you run

Code: Select all

cmd
? If it gives you a black console window, try typing sfc /scannow there...

Last resort would be to boot a Windows XP CD (I'm guessing you're using XP), and at the loading screen, select "Repair install". :|

Backup everything you can first though. If necessary, follow the steps here to get access to your files to move them off onto an external hard disk/storage space of some sort.
avwolf wrote:"No dating dog-girls, young man, your father is terribly allergic!"
y̸̶o͏͏ų̕ sh̡o̸̵u̶̕l̴d̵̡n̵͠'̵́͠t͜͢ ̀͜͝h̶̡àv̸e͡ ̛d̷̨͡o͏̀ne ̶͠͡t҉́h̕a̧͞t̨҉́.̵̧͞.͠͞.͟