Firefox 4 vs. IE9

For tech wizards and n00bs alike. Questions, answers, or just general hoo-haa.

Moderator: Moderators

Which browser do you prefer?

Firefox 4
88%
IE 9
13%

Total votes: 24

No Clemency
Templar GrandMaster

Firefox 4 vs. IE9

#1 Post by No Clemency »

This thread is going to be all about the new browsers, Firefox 4, and IE 9. IE 9 has been out a little while now, and Firefox 4 just came out a little bit ago. So feel free to share your experiences and tastes about the two browsers and which one you plan on utilizing.

Image Image

I'm personally a fan of Firefox due to all of the addons, but I feel like IE 9 defiantly has something to offer with its new speed. I'm personally not sold on Firefox 4 yet because a lot of my addons don't work yet for Firefox 4, but once they are supported, I plan on switching over. Until then my primary browser will be Firefox 3.6 with IE 9 as my secondary browser due to its speed. Let me know what you think.

RobbieThe1st
Templar GrandMaster

Re: Firefox 4 vs. IE9

#2 Post by RobbieThe1st »

I've been using FF4 for over a year now, so... Yea.

Firefox is -far- better than IE9:
1. Works on more platforms: Firefox - in it's entirety - can run on everything from Win 2k+ to Mac to Linux to my cellphone(Nokia N900). IE9 only works on Vista/7, which means that over 50%+ of windows users can't use it, nor can I.
2. Better SVG support: Until recently, IE had -no- support for SVG, and now they have -rudimentary- support, while all other browsers have good support.
3. Firefox 4, Chrome, Opera all support WebM. IE9 doesn't(yet). And, it's the future, as Youtube is(already) moving to it in the HTML5 Beta.
5. Easy, feature-full extensions: Firefox and Chrome are working at this, but I seriously doubt IE has anything like it. I can't stand to be without my extensions, and coding them isn't that hard, due to it being XML+JS based.

SirSlaughter
Templar Inner Circle

#3 Post by SirSlaughter »

I only used to use internet explorer until i saw the 2k themes for Firefox (Which was actually just after i joined the forums and which is why i got it). But so far i like Firefox better. It just feels better to run then IE. I haven't tried chrome yet though. But chances are I'll probably spring for Firefox before I go for IE9. Though I'll probably download both seeing as i always update to the new stuff anyway. I'll give Them both a try though and compare to see which is better for me.

No Clemency
Templar GrandMaster

#4 Post by No Clemency »

Just out of curiosity, what 2kinds persona are you using on your Firefox browser, because I made a few of them, and I'm just curious if you might be using one of the ones I made, or another one that someone else made for 2kinds.

SirSlaughter
Templar Inner Circle

#5 Post by SirSlaughter »

No Clemency wrote:Just out of curiosity, what 2kinds persona are you using on your Firefox browser, because I made a few of them, and I'm just curious if you might be using one of the ones I made, or another one that someone else made for 2kinds.
http://www.getpersonas.com/en-US/persona/341556

I'm using one of the flora personas. it's the one with flora having long hair. It makes going on the internet a bit more..."pleasing" to my eyes than a bland old white and grey with a bit of silver look that IE has.

That and Firefox seems to be easier for me to explore it and fix problems that take me a good while to do with IE. so for my experience with firefox has been more fun than IE so i guess i'll be leaning on firefox 4.

TheJ
Templar

#6 Post by TheJ »

No Clemency wrote:Just out of curiosity, what 2kinds persona are you using on your Firefox browser, because I made a few of them, and I'm just curious if you might be using one of the ones I made, or another one that someone else made for 2kinds.
I used to use personas on FF, but I find it a bit distracting when I do stuff. I tried the 2k one(I don't know whose) but everytime I try to do stuff I get distracted and read 2kinds for the 1 millionth time. So it's now just blank.

And the poll up there.... if Microsoft saw that, they would go crazy.
MY AVATAR IS CALLED KRIETH KREISER.
ORIGINAL CHARACTER DO NOT STEAL.
COPYRIGHT: ME.
Kindamoody wrote:avwolf is always right. :wink:
Schrodinger wrote:Stop trying to inject logic where none exists.

2plus2makes5
Templar GrandMaster

#7 Post by 2plus2makes5 »

I have to say that I'm a bit bias towards IE9 since about a month ago, it wouldn't start at all. Don't know if it was a virus, but I had to download Firefox on a friends computer and import it to mine with a USB drive. No problems so far.
We wear the mask that grins and lies,
It hides our cheeks and shades our eyes,—
This debt we pay to human guile;
With torn and bleeding hearts we smile,
And mouth with myriad subtleties.
-Paul Laurence Dunbar

2plus2makes5
Templar GrandMaster

#8 Post by 2plus2makes5 »

Gabriel of creosha wrote:I don't have but one problem with chrome: Youtube. every video is displaying a white screen, but aduio is ok. how can I fix this? or to be on topic, Is Firefox having this problem?
I apologize, I don't know how to fix that, but no, Firefox does not have that problem.
We wear the mask that grins and lies,
It hides our cheeks and shades our eyes,—
This debt we pay to human guile;
With torn and bleeding hearts we smile,
And mouth with myriad subtleties.
-Paul Laurence Dunbar

No Clemency
Templar GrandMaster

#9 Post by No Clemency »

In order to fix this, either reinstall your IE browser, just search for the download, and install it, and it will put most of the settings back to default. But truthfully, it sounds like you just need to update Adobe Flash, that's what I had to do over the summer when I had this problem. Hope this helps.

Prometheus
Templar GrandMaster

#10 Post by Prometheus »

I suppose I should ask here rather than posting a new thread since it already has to do with Firefox.
It's slightly off topic, but I'm not sure it's quite worth making a new topic over.
I use Safari for my browser, and I like it better than IE, but I've heard good things about Firefox as well, is one better than the other? (Just looking for a yes/no answer so as not to get too far from the thread's purpose)
In the name of meaningless posting! :redhair:
ImageImageImageImage
ALL HAIL FRED!

paradox
Apprentice

#11 Post by paradox »

Prometheus wrote:I suppose I should ask here rather than posting a new thread since it already has to do with Firefox.
It's slightly off topic, but I'm not sure it's quite worth making a new topic over.
I use Safari for my browser, and I like it better than IE, but I've heard good things about Firefox as well, is one better than the other? (Just looking for a yes/no answer so as not to get too far from the thread's purpose)
It's really an opinion to say which one is better; there is no fact. IT depends what aspects of a Web Browser you want, though. Personally, I hate IE, and like FireFox better, but even over that I love Google Chrome the best. So, I guess for the sake of answering, in my opinion FireFox is better.

No Clemency
Templar GrandMaster

#12 Post by No Clemency »

Prometheus wrote:I suppose I should ask here rather than posting a new thread since it already has to do with Firefox.
I would defiantly choose Firefox any day over Safari. Firefox is more compatible with different websites than safari, plus it is fast unless you bog it down with a lot of addons like I do. So if you want speed use Firefox with no addons or IE 9 with no addons. Both are now faster than Google Chrome and Safari, plus Firefox has all the benefits of its addons than you can read about in the useful Firefox addons thread. In conclusion both IE 9 and Firefox are better than Safari, but I personally prefer Firefox hands down over all other browsers.

Aleksandr
Master

#13 Post by Aleksandr »

I would have to say that Firefox is probably better than IE, But I prefer IE just because it's the browser made by Microsoft and I use a Windows computer. That really isn't a logical reason to use IE, but there really aren't that many reasons to use one or the other in the first place. The only real problems I've found with IE are that it sometimes doesn't support some weird file types that I've never even heard of, (seriously, picture files can just be jpeg or bitmap or whatever else is normal) and on occasion it won't play a specific thing that I find online when Firefox will, but this doesn't happen often.
There is, however, a very good reason I use IE. I honestly don't know why this happens, but on my Windows XP HD Firefox takes about 30 seconds to open up, whereas IE is just about instant. It's just a really irritating delay. This doesn't happen on my Windows 7 HD, but I'd prefer to stick with the browser that I'm used to.
There is one good thing about Firefox that I think they should make easier to do. You see, in IE there's a feature where if you press the backspace button it takes you back a page. This is remarkably annoying if it screws up something you're typing. Firefox has the same feature, but if you use some intricate little changes to Firefox you can disable it. This is seriously the one thing that has me just about willing to switch to Firefox, if only Firefox opened faster for me.
My greatest pleasure is knowing that I have seen the truth of the world that everyone else misses. When humanity annihilates itself, whether I'm in heaven or hell, you can bet that I'll be watching. Laughing.

SirSlaughter
Templar Inner Circle

#14 Post by SirSlaughter »

I just downloaded the firefox 4 beta a few days ago.... I don't like it. The tabs are weird and it makes my twokinds persona really small and cuts off half of it. It makes me feel like i'm using a built in website browser like when you log onto the aplus program. I mean it runs nice and all but it is really weird and it throws me off. I'm probably gonna give the new IE a try and see if that is any better.

Lief
No hugs, I asplode.
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine

#15 Post by Lief »

I only ever liked IE5-6, that's it. When I could no longer use IE6, I switched over to Firefox and almost instantly loved it more than both IE5 and six, and I don't think I'll ever go back to IE. But I'm not too keen on Firefox 4, isn't it basically the exact same as Google Chrome, they're just calling it Firefox? Look-wise, mind you. I don't plan on ever switching to it, and when I'm forced to switch, expect me to be complaining like a little [censored] for a few months. :P