Computer turns on, but not the monitor.

For tech wizards and n00bs alike. Questions, answers, or just general hoo-haa.

Moderator: Moderators

Wolf Cross
Apprentice

Computer turns on, but not the monitor.

#1 Post by Wolf Cross »

Okay so lately my laptop has been a total jerk to me for the past 6 months.
Its a Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005. (Yes thats how long I've had it, since 2005). It use to work like a dream, but now it's my worst nightmare.

Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005
Product: HP Pavilion dv5000

So heres my problem with it. It's been having a bad connection, it uploads and downloads thing very slow. It sometimes shuts off on me in a snap (literally). In a random split second it would just cut the power off all on its own. But now my main problem is, the monitor won't turn on. I press the power button and the neat little blue light turns on, the blinking light shows that its running, but my screen stays completely black. Not black as in, you turn off the cablebox on your tv and all you get is a blank black static screen. But black as in, not turning on period.

I have barely mistreated it. I rarely drop it, I keep it power plugged, and I do my best to clean it.

How do I fix this? Or do I need to exchange it?

SirSlaughter
Templar Inner Circle

Re: Computer turns on, but not the monitor.

#2 Post by SirSlaughter »

hmm. The computer is very old. It may have just decided to die after all these years. I would suggest sending it in for a checkup but, then again they may be unable to do anything about it and still charge you just to look at it and say "i know what you're problem is... the screen stays black." With a computer as old as this... it may just be time to upgrade... But let's see what everyone else has to say.

And que tech junkies. (other than me)

Edit: The connection between the monitor and the actual motherboard may have been disconnected or broken. You may want to check there... but it will require some dismemberment. if you're up to it that is.

Wolf Cross
Apprentice

#3 Post by Wolf Cross »

Dismemberment? Okay I took a technology class back in High School where we reassembled computer parts. Motherboards, Wires, etc etc. But damn did I suck in that class. Now I wish I wouldve payed attention more. (;_;)

SirSlaughter
Templar Inner Circle

#4 Post by SirSlaughter »

This may help. AV posted this on another thread. It's about cleaning the fan but it shows you how to take the computer apart so it should still help. Be warned it is an hp but the principle is the same for just about any computer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpCJzdWxEbQ

Wolf Cross
Apprentice

#5 Post by Wolf Cross »

Okay I thought about it, and I felt more comfortable with an upgrade. So I'm buying a new HP.

15.6" Phenom II Dual-Core N660 3GHz; 4GB/500GB; DVD burner; 802.11n + bluetooth; Win7; HDMI; webcam; 6-cell.