Wifi stopped working

For tech wizards and n00bs alike. Questions, answers, or just general hoo-haa.

Moderator: Moderators

Tygron
Notakitty!

Wifi stopped working

#1 Post by Tygron »

My wifi on my laptop doesn't work anymore. I think I might have blown it up, I was streaming on livestream.com and I was playing SecondLife at the same time. SL streams everything to your computer, so I think it could have just overloaded and doesn't work anymore. I haven't done too much with it yet, but nothing I do will get it to turn on again. I've looked for newer drivers and didn't find any, but that still could be the case. So i've been having to use a long ethernet cable for internet. Which that is having problems too, occasionally it'll drop connection and i'll have to reach around and unplug it and plug it back in.

I guess I might have to get me one of those wifi cards to slide into my computer, i'd rather not if I don't have to though.
[Click the sig to check out my music]
emmy wrote:It's not to prevent the suit from being stolen, but to prevent the fancy mofo in it from being stolen. :P

cliffpanther
Grand Templar
Location: In the central point of the Universe. Just like everyone else.

Re: Wifi stopped working

#2 Post by cliffpanther »

Check hotkeys [Fn] and buttons on your laptop, if that doesn't work - go to Control Panel and Computer Management, try reinstalling drivers. But I'm almost sure it's the hotkey/switch problem. It was definitely not overloading, the circuits are projected to handle 100MB/s transmission...
(Teachers at my school mess up with Wifi too, so I have some experience)

Tygron
Notakitty!

#3 Post by Tygron »

I've had that problem before actually. Just took messing with the on off switch and the button in my system tray. That or restarting the computer with the switch in the on position. Now it doesn't work at all.
emmy wrote:It's not to prevent the suit from being stolen, but to prevent the fancy mofo in it from being stolen. :P

cliffpanther
Grand Templar
Location: In the central point of the Universe. Just like everyone else.

#4 Post by cliffpanther »

Try reinstalling drivers... What laptop is it, and what OS do you use?

avwolf
Templar Inner Circle

#5 Post by avwolf »

Is your wireless card still detected by the system, or does it think you don't have wireless at all? Does anything show up in My Computer->Properties->Hardware tab->Device Manager for your wireless card?

You could try live booting something like Ubuntu (the wireless utility in Ubuntu is pretty nice, and should feel familiar to your Windows sensibilities). Then, if you can convince the wireless card to work, you know it's an issue with Windows or your drivers in Windows. If the wireless card isn't detected or doesn't work in Ubuntu either, it's probably a problem with the card itself.

Tygron
Notakitty!

#6 Post by Tygron »

Yea it shows up there. I suppose i'll try redoing the drivers for it. Maybe that will get it to work.

EDIT: Got it working... just had to enable it in the device browser >.> So yay. Problems all solved now.