Hard drive space randomly dissapearing?

For tech wizards and n00bs alike. Questions, answers, or just general hoo-haa.

Moderator: Moderators

Tygron
Notakitty!

Hard drive space randomly dissapearing?

#1 Post by Tygron »

There's really no good way to say anything about this or explain. All I know is that I haven't installed anything major or anything at all really for months. And my hard drive space has been getting lower and lower. To the point where now, I have 2.87GB left out of 287GB. It's really starting to piss me off as now I don't have enough room to do anything. Can anyone help me find my problem?
[Click the sig to check out my music]
emmy wrote:It's not to prevent the suit from being stolen, but to prevent the fancy mofo in it from being stolen. :P

rmb
Templar GrandMaster

Re: Hard drive space randomly dissapearing?

#2 Post by rmb »

I have no idea but if it is a virus, maybe running malwarebytes will help identify and resolve the issue?
Phyco wrote: *Aria, listen
*Just grab his face and shove your tongue down his throat

Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Image Image Image Image Click me please! :D

aj
Consistently Inconsistent

#3 Post by aj »

Grab WinDirStat and look for the largest files/directories. It's a graphical map of your files and their relative sizes.

As for the eroding hard disk space... Any logging programs or something similar? That's about the only thing I can think of that would consistently generate files.

And I don't mean keyloggers... I remember Zonealarm Firewall generating log files of every single connection. Which I thought was a good idea, until I realised a month later that I wasn't going to actually do anything with the logs. :|
avwolf wrote:"No dating dog-girls, young man, your father is terribly allergic!"
y̸̶o͏͏ų̕ sh̡o̸̵u̶̕l̴d̵̡n̵͠'̵́͠t͜͢ ̀͜͝h̶̡àv̸e͡ ̛d̷̨͡o͏̀ne ̶͠͡t҉́h̕a̧͞t̨҉́.̵̧͞.͠͞.͟

Tygron
Notakitty!

#4 Post by Tygron »

As far as I know AJ, there's nothing creating logs other than my chat programs. And those are just text files and such so that's not going to eat up my hard drive like that. I'll check out that program, i've been wanting something like that for a while.

I'm pretty sure it's not a virus or anything, it could be I guess... but I dunno.

I'll think more about it when I calm down... when my computer starts messing up I start getting really pissed off. I don't even know why... it just makes me mad. There's also another problem I might post here soon that i'd like fixed if possible but... i'll wait till I cool down first.

EDIT: So I used that program AJ told me about. I feel like an idiot and you guys are going to slap me. So apparently the thing taking up a good chunk of my space is all the podcasts i'm subscribed to on my Zune. Namely Machinima.com because they put out a TON. So... that's getting fixed pronto. Thanks, this program is going to come in handy. It's exactly what i've been looking for.

Would it be alright to change this subject to my other problem or should I just start a new topic?
[Click the sig to check out my music]
emmy wrote:It's not to prevent the suit from being stolen, but to prevent the fancy mofo in it from being stolen. :P

aj
Consistently Inconsistent

#5 Post by aj »

I'd say just create a new topic.

DB space is cheap. :P
avwolf wrote:"No dating dog-girls, young man, your father is terribly allergic!"
y̸̶o͏͏ų̕ sh̡o̸̵u̶̕l̴d̵̡n̵͠'̵́͠t͜͢ ̀͜͝h̶̡àv̸e͡ ̛d̷̨͡o͏̀ne ̶͠͡t҉́h̕a̧͞t̨҉́.̵̧͞.͠͞.͟