What is a very good program to use

For tech wizards and n00bs alike. Questions, answers, or just general hoo-haa.

Moderator: Moderators

TheEbonSnow
Location: Hunched over my desk Thinking for names for a new comic.

What is a very good program to use

#1 Post by TheEbonSnow »

So i need to buy a graphics tablet for art reasons and i got a good bit of money but i dont know the first thing about Graphic Tablets. What is a good one that wont cause me to much frustration? Over i ordered a tablet

Just noticed this but the tablit i orderedsaid "no software" soooo yea cacn some one recomend me some good software that i can tesst before i buy.

Tuna
tunatunatunatuna

Re: What is a very good graphics tablet?

#2 Post by Tuna »

How much is a "good bit of money", 'cause they can get pricey...
^^"

I'd suggest starting your search here...I'd do extreme things for a Cintiq, but an Intuos is a solid tablet, and the Bamboo is great for beginners on a budget.
:kathrin:

RobbieThe1st
Templar GrandMaster

#3 Post by RobbieThe1st »

To be honest, a Bamboo will do fine - The only issue is it's physical size.
It's got 1024 levels of pressure sensitivity, which should be fine - Remember that you've only got -256- levels of gray on your screen!
It's also got a resolution of 2540 lines per inch - No matter -how- sensitive you have your tablet set, it'll still be smooth; at that resolution, your entire -screen- could be traversed one px at a time with a movement of half an inch on the tablet.

Now, I would honestly suggest that you get the Bamboo, at least at first - Once you get used to it, and see where it's limitations are(and where they -aren't-), you can then justify spending lots more money on something better. However, figure there's also an equal chance you'll end up giving up, or decide you aren't cut out for tablet-based inking/drawing - I know more than one excellent artist who does a heck of a lot with a mouse, and only fine shading with a tablet - if that, in some cases.

aj
Consistently Inconsistent

#4 Post by aj »

I'd second the recommendation for trying a Bamboo. It's what I'm using right now for photo touchups.

Only complaint is, as Robbie pointed out, the size. After ~30 mins of use, my hand gets quite sore. :|
avwolf wrote:"No dating dog-girls, young man, your father is terribly allergic!"
y̸̶o͏͏ų̕ sh̡o̸̵u̶̕l̴d̵̡n̵͠'̵́͠t͜͢ ̀͜͝h̶̡àv̸e͡ ̛d̷̨͡o͏̀ne ̶͠͡t҉́h̕a̧͞t̨҉́.̵̧͞.͠͞.͟

TheEbonSnow

#5 Post by TheEbonSnow »

i bought a Bamboo tablet from Amazon and it will be here 14-20thx for the sugestions hope to be posting my art work soon

Ironworks
Templar Inner Circle

Re: What is a very good program to use

#6 Post by Ironworks »

Good program, or cheap program?

For your first time screwing around with a tablet, and in order to help yourself with the ropes and what not, go with Gimp. It's free, it works, and it's free.
It's what I still use, and for the most part, works fine for me. Granted it's not the most practical, but it gets the job done.

TheEbonSnow

Re: What is a very good program to use

#7 Post by TheEbonSnow »

thx guys still wating on my tablet and we got 2 snow days so im rly happy