Places to learn about tech?

For tech wizards and n00bs alike. Questions, answers, or just general hoo-haa.

Moderator: Moderators

SeriousSamuel
Templar GrandMaster

Places to learn about tech?

#1 Post by SeriousSamuel »

Although I'm not completely clueless around computers I don't know much about computers either, I understand software as well as you can without really knowing [censored] about software and that's it. Now as knowing technology is something that has its uses I thought that I should learn more. Where would be a good place to start? Like I said before I got a limited understanding of software but I know next to nothing about hardware.

So, any ideas?
"It is neither good nor bad, but thinking makes it so."
William Shakespeare

avwolf
Templar Inner Circle

Re: Places to learn about tech?

#2 Post by avwolf »

If you can find a copy of Upgrading and Repairing PCs, by Scott Mueller, it'll teach you what you want to know. It's a massive black tome that I refer to as the Technonomicon, and was one of the first and best references I had when I first embarked on the path of Technomancy.

SeriousSamuel
Templar GrandMaster

#3 Post by SeriousSamuel »

If I understood correctly it's like a piece of brick wall, in which case I think I'll be good for a while. Thank you for your help.
"It is neither good nor bad, but thinking makes it so."
William Shakespeare

avwolf
Templar Inner Circle

#4 Post by avwolf »

My hardware knowledge is largely out of books and classes; it's mostly not stuff that I've needed to look up online. Sorry, I just don't have many online resources in that realm to share. If you're curious about various server administration elements, I might have more useful links, but hardware was something I learned mostly apart from the Web.