Verizon or AT&T

For tech wizards and n00bs alike. Questions, answers, or just general hoo-haa.

Moderator: Moderators

Mystik070
Traveler

Verizon or AT&T

#1 Post by Mystik070 »

As some of you know, Apple seems to be signing with Verizon, supposedly.
I currently own an iPhone 4, and I don't know which phone company to switch to.
Please halp? ^^

Turtleleaf
Grand Templar

Re: Verizon or AT&T

#2 Post by Turtleleaf »

Ive been with AT&T for a while so i guess its a one sided thought between the two for me. You should just look at what the two have to offer phone wise and pick the one you think is better.

aj
Consistently Inconsistent

#3 Post by aj »

Well, as far as I know, the iPhone4 in the current hardware iteration doesn't support Verizon, so you're stuck with AT&T.

If Apple does sign up with Verizon, they'll have to release a new iPhone, one that supports CDMA - which is something I'm hearing rumors about. (A "World iPhone", one that supports GSM *and* CDMA on the same handset.)
avwolf wrote:"No dating dog-girls, young man, your father is terribly allergic!"
y̸̶o͏͏ų̕ sh̡o̸̵u̶̕l̴d̵̡n̵͠'̵́͠t͜͢ ̀͜͝h̶̡àv̸e͡ ̛d̷̨͡o͏̀ne ̶͠͡t҉́h̕a̧͞t̨҉́.̵̧͞.͠͞.͟

Mystik070
Traveler

#4 Post by Mystik070 »

I've heard from an Apple employee say that they're signing with Verizon..

Ravenous222
The Neobedouin Musician

#5 Post by Ravenous222 »

Having worked with both companies I'll put in my two bits. AT&T has overall good service, and they have really good phones. But every once and a while i would get dropped calls, missed calls, the occasional problem. And when i left their service to switch to Verizon, they wouldn't cancel my number. For AT&T, i love the phones. the service is ok, their customer service IMO is TERRIBLE!

Verizon so far has been really really good. I havent' had any problems with any phones i've gotten, i get service mostly everywhere, even in places in the high mountains. Before they didn't have any really "cool" phones, but now they have the androids which are freakin sick! Their customer service is far superior to the service I got with AT&T. Was this a Tech question or would this be better in the FAQ board?
The meaning of life is to give life meaning.-Arjen Lucassen
One man's insanity is another man's reality.-Tim Burton

Ironworks
Templar Inner Circle

#6 Post by Ironworks »

Personally, I would say AT&T.
While their service doesn't seem to cover as much, their 3G is unbelievable faster when it comes to downloads and what not.
[censored], their 3G will often times load videos faster than if I'm connected to a local wifi or something.
Verizon's 3G is really only slightly faster than AT&T's "EDGE" service. Because of the fact their "3G" is more widely available across the country, they're able to say that their 3G covers more than AT&T's, leading to that whole "Fuller Map" advertisement.
In the end, I would say AT&T, but keep in mind my dad has been with the company for a long time, so my opinion will probably come across as fairly biased lol

avwolf
Templar Inner Circle

#7 Post by avwolf »

It's been a rumor for a long time, since it's an open secret that Cupertino has full GSM and CDMA rigging for testing on the phones.

Anyhow, my advice is to pick whichever one has the better coverage in your area, specifically the places that you spend most of your time. *shrug* For me, it would be a no-brainer, because AT&T's coverage in Nebraska is pretty much nothing, while Verizon has almost the whole state covered at least adequately.

ThirteenEvilSmiles
Traveler

#8 Post by ThirteenEvilSmiles »

Verizon isn't getting the iPhone in any version as far as I'm aware, but they are getting the iPad. Could be some crossed wires >iPhone=iPad< maybe?
The iPhone is a customer service nightmare! In essence we...ahem or I mean AT&T is like an exclusive vendor and will take any [censored] Apple demands for it to be an AT&T exclusive product. This is a huge pain because normal CS techniques can not be applied without the agent losing their job. No exceptions for iPhone of any version in anyway shape or form.
AT&T coverage maps are ever more convoluted, it has what is call "partnership coverage", which means other GSM provides like T-Moblie and Cellular One get to piggyback on each others service area/towers and count them as there own.
Service Quality has always been a mixed pill.
On one hand AT&T has GSM so you can go to 80% of the world and get coverage (international rates may apply :twisted: ) but it is more fritzy than the CDMA technology that Verison and Alltel has. So it is really a Quality choice in your area between faster data and less reliable service with more domestic/global coverage or slower data and more reliable service that you can use only in the US and a few other countries.
If AT&T could just get there [censored] together (like to good old Cingular days... (;_;) ) and stop being so damn greedy, it's issues would disappear over night.

....sorry that was more of a rant wasn't it?

Ironworks
Templar Inner Circle

#9 Post by Ironworks »

Thirteen, be sure to check those post dates man, as this was a bit of a necropost, especially on a topic like this.
Just as a heads up for the future ;)

Small added note, Verizon is getting the iPhone in the near future, some time in the next few months.

ThirteenEvilSmiles
Traveler

#10 Post by ThirteenEvilSmiles »

There is a lot going around the rumormill, but no confirmations have been officially stated, so to speak. Lots of indirect speculation. Reminds me of the RAZOR V3 days... As far as the iPhone is concerned.
I was also putting in my expertise regarding the difference in AT&T and Verizon with there relative differences.