My Fujitsu Siemens Esprimo Mobile V5535 (laptop) is [bad]

For tech wizards and n00bs alike. Questions, answers, or just general hoo-haa.

Moderator: Moderators

Conal
Master

My Fujitsu Siemens Esprimo Mobile V5535 (laptop) is [bad]

#1 Post by Conal »

Hey guys, I've got a laptop question for y'all.

My Fujitsu Siemens Esprimo Mobile V5535 laptop won't turn on. I think the motherboard or power distributor is fried. I was publishing a video & it was clocking at 100% most of the time, eventually it turned off. I discovered it off & switched it back on. Shortly after booting I heard a loud *ping!* & the laptop wouldn't turn on.

I've tried just using the battery & using the power lead without the battery plugged in, but I don't get a single LED coming on the laptop. What should I do to fix this?

Also, if I take it to the Fujitsu Siemens repair service or PC World, is it true that they need to scan your entire hard disk for illegal files so that they can't be blamed for it?

I'm replacing the HDD (below) just encase.

DO NOT single letter censor yourself, Conal. NEVER EVER do it in your post subject. YOU WILL get a warning the next time it happens.
--avwolf

RobbieThe1st
Templar GrandMaster

Re: My Fujitsu Siemens Esprimo Mobile V5535 (laptop) is [bad]

#2 Post by RobbieThe1st »

Replace(or simply remove) the harddisk, then send it in. The problem's probably on the motherboard, and will cost a pretty penny to fix.

Conal
Master

#3 Post by Conal »

RobbieThe1st wrote:Replace(or simply remove) the harddisk, then send it in. The problem's probably on the motherboard, and will cost a pretty penny to fix.
I can get a matching motherboard for £90, would that be cheaper than getting someone else to service it?

------------UPDATE 20/11/10--------------
I'm getting an identical laptop but with Windows 7, if I acquire it successfully then this thread is no longer needed.

Mystik070
Traveler

#4 Post by Mystik070 »

If it won't turn on, then it's the motherboard.
I really recommend sending it in, replacing a laptop motherboard with one that isn't native is pretty tricky. For me at least.
It could also be the HDD. If you want to spend a couple extra bucks, put in a cheap one to see if it'll let you reinstall whatever OS you're using.

Conal
Master

#5 Post by Conal »

Mystik070 wrote:If it won't turn on, then it's the motherboard.
I think it could be a number of things including that. For instance, the power distributor may be broken, the processor itself could be fried.
I really recommend sending it in,
Not going to happen. I'm a trainee technician, I'll fix it by my own hands or kill it trying.
replacing a laptop motherboard with one that isn't native is pretty tricky. For me at least.
I've been told that major complications do come into play, but that it's not destructive to do so, done correctly.
It could also be the HDD.
Of course it's not the Hard Disk Drive, if that was the only thing not working I would get LEDs & a powered screen at least.
If you want to spend a couple extra bucks, put in a cheap one to see if it'll let you reinstall whatever OS you're using.
The HDD isn't the problem. I'm replacing it so that if I get my laptop serviced (which I'm not now) they can't go through my personal files. Why would a new HDD & OS help me power it up? I can't even access the BIOS, let alone turn a single component on the entire laptop on. How on Earth is replacing the HDD going to fix the power problem?

RobbieThe1st
Templar GrandMaster

#6 Post by RobbieThe1st »

Conal wrote: Not going to happen. I'm a trainee technician, I'll fix it by my own hands or kill it trying.
I do the same thing myself, though if you can get it fixed for free through the warranty :wink: ...
Conal wrote: The HDD isn't the problem. I'm replacing it so that if I get my laptop serviced (which I'm not now) they can't go through my personal files. Why would a new HDD & OS help me power it up? I can't even access the BIOS, let alone turn a single component on the entire laptop on. How on Earth is replacing the HDD going to fix the power problem?
I second this.

Conal
Master

#7 Post by Conal »

Hey guys, I've bought an identical laptop but with about 0.05 higher GHz & Windows 7 instead of Vista!
Now I just need to swap the HDD (then, in time, the files so I can use Win7).
RobbieThe1st wrote:I do the same thing myself, though if you can get it fixed for free through the warranty :wink: ...
I wish I still had the stuff which came with the laptop to find out.

</thread>
<thread>
UPDATE! A soft reset fixed the problem on the other laptop.
</thread>