Monitor death?

For tech wizards and n00bs alike. Questions, answers, or just general hoo-haa.

Moderator: Moderators

aj
Consistently Inconsistent

Monitor death?

#1 Post by aj »

Not too sure if anyone knows much about monitors (I don't), but I picked up a refurbished Dell 2408WFP a year or so ago. Today my family's new kitten decided to step on the power switch on the surge protector, killing power to my desktop and monitors. Now, the desktop and other monitor came up fine, but the Dell monitor isn't. There seems to be no power to the monitor - i.e. the power button won't light up no matter how hard I press it.

I've already tried the basics - swapping power cables, trying other outlets, but it seems to do no good. The light still refuses to light up. Does anyone else have any suggestions on stuff to try? I really don't want to condemn the monitor - replacing it with an equivalent would cost $700, and I'm nowhere near loaded with cash. :?
avwolf wrote:"No dating dog-girls, young man, your father is terribly allergic!"
y̸̶o͏͏ų̕ sh̡o̸̵u̶̕l̴d̵̡n̵͠'̵́͠t͜͢ ̀͜͝h̶̡àv̸e͡ ̛d̷̨͡o͏̀ne ̶͠͡t҉́h̕a̧͞t̨҉́.̵̧͞.͠͞.͟

RobbieThe1st
Templar GrandMaster

Re: Monitor death?

#2 Post by RobbieThe1st »

Looks like a $50 + time problem: http://cgi.ebay.com/DELL-2408WFP-4H0CT0 ... 3a5ef7e51a
Fortunately, you -can- get a replacement, as shown there.

Also, don't feel too hard about your kitten; if that ended up killing the board, it would have happened sooner or later(probably in the next week or two of normal usage) - These things happen.
I have my own monitor, which, one day out of the blue, had the backlight power-supply die. No issues, I just turn it on one day and it blinks, then turns off and stays off. I ended up replacing it with a bit of a hacked solution, and its been working fine for a couple of years now(not my main monitor anymore though).

aj
Consistently Inconsistent

Re: Monitor death?

#3 Post by aj »

Thanks a lot for that link, Robbie. I'm going to see if I can find a replacement locally so I won't have to order it from the US. (It *says* shipped from the US on that page, but I'm not too sure. And the shipping charges are 30% of the price. Not fun.)

Also, have to figure out how to open the monitor too, though I figure googling "dell 2408wfp dismantle disassemble open" and variations thereof will probably point me in the general direction. :)
avwolf wrote:"No dating dog-girls, young man, your father is terribly allergic!"
y̸̶o͏͏ų̕ sh̡o̸̵u̶̕l̴d̵̡n̵͠'̵́͠t͜͢ ̀͜͝h̶̡àv̸e͡ ̛d̷̨͡o͏̀ne ̶͠͡t҉́h̕a̧͞t̨҉́.̵̧͞.͠͞.͟