NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT problems

For tech wizards and n00bs alike. Questions, answers, or just general hoo-haa.

Moderator: Moderators

Valbrandur
Grand Templar

NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT problems

#1 Post by Valbrandur »

My video card has stopped working and only explanation I get is "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)"

I am running windows 7 32 bit.

I'll answer questions as long as I get some help with this problem.

avwolf
Templar Inner Circle

Re: NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT problems

#2 Post by avwolf »

When was the last time you updated the drivers for the card? Have you tried to update them or roll them back, depending on the recentness of the update? Have you pulled the card out of your computer, cleaned the contacts with an eraser or rubbing alcohol, and used canned air to clean all the dust off the card?

Valbrandur
Grand Templar

#3 Post by Valbrandur »

I did download a new update when it occurred but it did not fix the problem sadly.

And I haven't taken the card out and cleaned it but I'll see if that works.

avwolf
Templar Inner Circle

#4 Post by avwolf »

It's worth a shot. Did the card behave differently just before you started having this issue? Did you have it overheat and die on you, or anything else that might indicate actual damage to the video card itself?

Valbrandur
Grand Templar

#5 Post by Valbrandur »

Well, we tried cleaning the card and everything else in the computer, didn't work.

And yes, while playing Lord of the Rings online, everything froze up to the point I had to restart my computer.

After rebooting, it did the same again.

I should also note that the start up is different because during and after BIOS check it doesn't even seem to be in English anymore.

The 'Press here to continue' became 'Prerr jeer to bthhhhg' or something like that.

RobbieThe1st
Templar GrandMaster

#6 Post by RobbieThe1st »

Time to replace it. I think it just died; Either the cooling failed to the point that it got a bit too hot, or it simply failed for no good reason.

Either way, its time to get a new one - Look on the bright side: You may be able to justify getting a better card out of it!

But yea, very small chance you can get it to work again; the symptoms are of a card thats in the process of dying - Most likely the 3D parts aren't responding correctly(or at all), which is why the driver isn't liking it.
The 2d stuff is in a separate part of the card/chip, which is why you can still use the computer somewhat; if that died, you'd simply hear a series of beeps during post and it wouldn't boot at all.

Valbrandur
Grand Templar

#7 Post by Valbrandur »

Alright, thanks for the help guys.

At least now I have confirmation that I need to get a new one.