[guide] Computer problem workaround - Linux CD.

For tech wizards and n00bs alike. Questions, answers, or just general hoo-haa.

Moderator: Moderators

RobbieThe1st
Templar GrandMaster

[guide] Computer problem workaround - Linux CD.

#1 Post by RobbieThe1st »

Most of us have run into computer problems at one time or another. Sometimes it is hardware, but most of the time it is software. Either way, often times it means you have trouble - or simply -can not access- the Internet, which makes asking for help or downloading patches and other software troublesome.

The solution is a Linux LiveCD.
A LiveCD is a CD(or DVD) that you can boot off of. Yup, thats right - A full operating system on a CD! And unless you have a significant amount of experience, trying to make Windows run off a CD is impossible.
The main benefit of it being on a CD is that you cannot screw it up. A CD is a read-only disk, so no matter -what- you do to it, when you reboot, everything is back to defaults.
This is a downside also - You can't save favorites or use it quite like you would a full computer.
However, when your harddisk dies, or Windows won't boot - Its good to be able to simply stick a disk in your drive, boot off that, and have full access to the internet!

How do I get one, you ask?
Simple.
1. Download a Ubuntu LiveCD from Here. You can either get it as a normal file download, or a torrent.
You have two choices: 32-bit and 64-bit. 32-bit will work with all computers*. 64-bit is only for AMD 64 and any multi-core processors, and any Intel processors of Core2 and beyond.
If you don't know. get the 32-bit version.
2. Burn the ISO image to a disk. There are many free utilities for doing this, and detailed instructions are shown on that download link.
3. Reboot with the disk in the CD drive. You should be asked if you wish to boot into Ubuntu. If you want to, go ahead and press enter.
If you are not asked, you are going to have to manually select the CD to boot off of:
When you first start your computer, and it says "Press X to enter setup", press F8, F10, F11 and F12 in sequence. You should get a blue-backgrounded "boot-device selection" screen that lets you select from several items. One should have CD or DVD in it; that's the one you want to select.

Ok, so I've booted into Ubuntu, what do I do?
Well, the first thing to remember is that it is NOT Windows. Its similar, but about as similar as OSX is to Windows.
You have the equivalent of the start menu in the lower left hand corner, and your typical task bar at the bottom of the screen.
What you probably want to do at this point is get Firefox up, so open the Start Menu and type "Firefox". An icon for Firefox should show on the right. Alternatively, click the "all programs" link, and find Firefox in the menu tree.
If firefox starts, you should be fine. 90+% of the time, you will have network without having to mess with anything; great. If not... it has to be messed with on a case-by-case basis.

Have fun messing with it, and remember that you can always boot up into that disk when your Windows fails.
You can also install a copy of Ubuntu to your harddisk if you want, but you don't need to.

Hope this helps you guys!

-Rob

Yash
Administrator

Re: [guide] Computer problem workaround - Linux CD.

#2 Post by Yash »

Perfect. I'll probably be using this in the near future, thank you.
Forum Rules.

"Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain - but it takes character and self-control to be understanding and forgiving." - Dale Carnegie

etam
Apprentice

#3 Post by etam »

RobbieThe1st wrote:When you first start your computer, and it says "Press X to enter setup", press F10, F11 and F12 in sequence. You should get a blue-backgrounded screen that lets you select from several things. One should have CD or DVD in it; that's the one you want to select.
On my laptop its ESC.

avwolf
Templar Inner Circle

#4 Post by avwolf »

etam wrote:
RobbieThe1st wrote:When you first start your computer, and it says "Press X to enter setup", press F10, F11 and F12 in sequence. You should get a blue-backgrounded screen that lets you select from several things. One should have CD or DVD in it; that's the one you want to select.
On my laptop its ESC.
I'd also recommend DEL (Delete), as that's what it has been on 70% or so of the computers I've owned.

aj
Consistently Inconsistent

#5 Post by aj »

avwolf wrote:
etam wrote:
On my laptop its ESC.
I'd also recommend DEL (Delete), as that's what it has been on 70% or so of the computers I've owned.
To get into the BIOS, yes, DEL is one that I try. To get into the boot menu, not usually.
At least, I think Robbie is talking about the boot menu. :|

(As a note: Boot menu is F8 on ASUS motherboards, but F11 on my Dell laptop.)
avwolf wrote:"No dating dog-girls, young man, your father is terribly allergic!"
y̸̶o͏͏ų̕ sh̡o̸̵u̶̕l̴d̵̡n̵͠'̵́͠t͜͢ ̀͜͝h̶̡àv̸e͡ ̛d̷̨͡o͏̀ne ̶͠͡t҉́h̕a̧͞t̨҉́.̵̧͞.͠͞.͟

avwolf
Templar Inner Circle

#6 Post by avwolf »

aj wrote:
avwolf wrote:
etam wrote:
On my laptop its ESC.
To get into the BIOS, yes, DEL is one that I try. To get into the boot menu, not usually.
At least, I think Robbie is talking about the boot menu. :|

(As a note: Boot menu is F8 on ASUS motherboards, but F11 on my Dell laptop.)
:P Fair enough, I caught the "Press X to enter setup" and made an assumption. I always just change my drive boot order from BIOS, personally, and never use the boot menu, so my difference of perspective encouraged my error.

aj
Consistently Inconsistent

#7 Post by aj »

avwolf wrote::P Fair enough, I caught the "Press X to enter setup" and made an assumption. I always just change my drive boot order from BIOS, personally, and never use the boot menu, so my difference of perspective encouraged my error.
Mmm. It's a bit misleading, since the BIOS is also blue background-ed. I'm willing to bet he just used that as a signpost, intending it to be something like "Once you see the message, start mashing keys".

And won't changing the boot order in the BIOS get old if you just want to boot from CD once? That's mainly why I thought of boot menu - I was just testing my Ubuntu 10.04 CD - interestingly before Robbie posted this, but my system is set up to boot straight from the hard drive. :P (I'll see try to get screenshots to add to his nice guide too.)

As a side note, if downloading and burning a CD is a bit too hard, you can request an Ubuntu CD: http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/cds
avwolf wrote:"No dating dog-girls, young man, your father is terribly allergic!"
y̸̶o͏͏ų̕ sh̡o̸̵u̶̕l̴d̵̡n̵͠'̵́͠t͜͢ ̀͜͝h̶̡àv̸e͡ ̛d̷̨͡o͏̀ne ̶͠͡t҉́h̕a̧͞t̨҉́.̵̧͞.͠͞.͟

RobbieThe1st
Templar GrandMaster

#8 Post by RobbieThe1st »

Yea. I mean the boot menu - added a word or two to the orig post.

And, its a one-time deal; whatever you select there is selected as default until you reboot.
Contrasted with changing the order in the bios, which is permanent.