Msn Live Messenger

For tech wizards and n00bs alike. Questions, answers, or just general hoo-haa.

Moderator: Moderators

KyeRaor
Grand Templar

Msn Live Messenger

#1 Post by KyeRaor »

Alright, I've 2 problems with MSN Live Messenger.
On my desktop computer (XP), I have the most up-to-date version of Live. Whenever I log in, I stay logged in for under 10 seconds. I get an error message and it tells me that it has to close. Everything is still functional if I choose to ignore the message but it is quite annoying. I have un-installed it and re-installed many times but I still get the same problem. I have to use a much older version of MSN to stay logged in, but I would prefer to use the newest one. I've sent error reports but nothing has happened yet.

Then, on my laptop computer (Vista), I have a similar problem with MSN Live. I can logged into the up-to-date version much longer, but it just crashes randomly. I get a pop up saying Windows Live has stopped working and needs to close. It's really not much of a big deal, but still quite annoying to have to keep logging back in every 10 or so minutes. Again, I have uninstalled and reinstalled it but still get the same problem.

Thanks for any help.

Lief
No hugs, I asplode.
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine

Re: Msn Live Messenger

#2 Post by Lief »

I'd just use the older versions for now, and wait to update until it tells you that you can't login without updating. Did you try Googling the problem you are getting?

It could be an issue with the newer version to be honest, it may be that it has some bugs and shouldn't have been released yet. The next update should work though, hopefully. (And assuming they update anytime soon.) It could just be that it doesn't like you either, I've had problems with games and stuff where it wouldn't run or something like that, but I install it on someone else's computer and it works fine! :roll: :evil: :|

Unfortunately I can't think of anything that could be causing this. Do you have Windows Firewall on? That may be the issue. Try googling the issues you are having though to see if anyone else is getting this problem, and if they are maybe someone else has found out why and how to fix it! I think it may be a problem with Windows Firewall if you have that on. Let me know and I'll tell you how to turn it off. (You don't need it on, as it does nothing that a router or modem firewall can't. In fact, you can get just as badly bugged without it as you can with it.)

Also, what is the error message that keeps popping up every ten seconds or so?

Demus
Templar

#3 Post by Demus »

The Live Messenger is just full of all sorts of bugs, glitches and downright don't-do-it-like-this settings. Unfortunately it's also currently the only one that supports all the stuff I need (I wonder if that new Trillian has it backed yet...).

Apparently they also have no intentions whatsoever on fixing these things, either. Handwriting tool used to work perfectly, but suddenly it stopped sending text/pictures with too many separate lines in them. Seen, verified and complained by masses. No response.
The shapeshifting cliché!

KyeRaor
Grand Templar

#4 Post by KyeRaor »

Hey thanks for the replies. I was kinda afraid it'd be "just use the older one." :/
Maybe I'll try switching to Yahoo or something... >.<

RobbieThe1st
Templar GrandMaster

#5 Post by RobbieThe1st »

Check out Pidgin? It might work for you.

Personally, I'm using Trillian 3.1 free and eh, it does what I want. Not too many special features, but I can send and receive messages, and thats what counts.

KyeRaor
Grand Templar

#6 Post by KyeRaor »

RobbieThe1st wrote:Check out Pidgin? It might work for you.

Personally, I'm using Trillian 3.1 free and eh, it does what I want. Not too many special features, but I can send and receive messages, and thats what counts.
Yeah, Actually talking with some TKFer's tonight I JUST started using Trillian. It's hard on the eyes. But it hasn't crashed yet so... *thumbs up*

RobbieThe1st
Templar GrandMaster

#7 Post by RobbieThe1st »

KyeRaor wrote:Yeah, Actually talking with some TKFer's tonight I JUST started using Trillian. It's hard on the eyes. But it hasn't crashed yet so... *thumbs up*
Hard on the eyes?

KyeRaor
Grand Templar

#8 Post by KyeRaor »

RobbieThe1st wrote:
KyeRaor wrote:Yeah, Actually talking with some TKFer's tonight I JUST started using Trillian. It's hard on the eyes. But it hasn't crashed yet so... *thumbs up*
Hard on the eyes?
I just don't like some of the colour schemes. Very bright.

PhycoKrusk
Grand Templar

#9 Post by PhycoKrusk »

KyeRaor wrote:
RobbieThe1st wrote:
Hard on the eyes?
I just don't like some of the colour schemes. Very bright.
Trillian should give you a good range of customization with regards to color schemes. If the problem is incoming styles, you should be able to force all those to conform to what you specify. That's what I do with Adium, although I also have a background pattern set instead of a color, which perhaps surprisingly, provides excellent contrast with my chosen text color and is pretty easy on the eyes too.