Download 2kinds comic

For tech wizards and n00bs alike. Questions, answers, or just general hoo-haa.

Moderator: Moderators

No Clemency
Templar GrandMaster

Download 2kinds comic

#1 Post by No Clemency »

Alright, I wanted to ask if Tom can make the comic down loadable and just set the comic to be down loadable with each new chapter to the series. I know this isn't something to easy to be done, but it's a lot easier than going through and saving all 500 and something pictures and then trying to compile all of them. Plus I'm sure others would greatly appreciate it. That way we can view and read the comic even when where not online. And we can sync them with other devices like an ipod or iphone or what ever that way we can view the comic anywhere. :grin:

But again I know this isn't the easiest thing to do so if you can't that's okay. Thanks!!! |D

P.S. I heard there was an RSS feed a while back before the site crashed where I could do this, so I guess it already exist so if anyone knows where it is or any information about it please send me a message. :)

avwolf
Templar Inner Circle

Re: Download 2kinds comic

#2 Post by avwolf »

Actually, I think Kinuki may have done this, or something very much like it, for many of the previous chapters. I'm not sure where he was keeping it, but I ought to have a copy laying around somewhere on my hard drive. That might be of some use to you. I'm afraid I can't help much on the RSS question, but I know we've got some forumites who probably can fill you in on the status of the feed.

No Clemency
Templar GrandMaster

#3 Post by No Clemency »

Thanks, that would be really helpful. It's always nice to have a little bit of a head start than starting at none. |D

aj
Consistently Inconsistent

#4 Post by aj »

I'd argue that this should really be in the FAQ Board, mainly because it's more about the comic than tech. Except for maybe the downloader thing. But that's covered by Robbie's comic downloader (See below)

Since my response in the thread in the FAQ Board was seemingly overlooked, reposted here in not-even-close-to-pseudo-entirety.

http://2kinds.com/tk_rss.php

For a downloader, check Robbie's script out. May/may not work.

Because I can't find a link anywhere else, here's a copy of what I have: http://aj.dyndns.ws/forum-twokinds-misc/2kinds.zip. It's a copy of what I test the feed off of, so it should be correct, though I'm giving no warranty that it is. (i.e. something's not there, too bad.)

If you manage to convince Tom to allow downloading of the latest comic, it's possible to add it, but the last thing I heard about it was that there was some concern over allowing downloads taking visitors away from the site, which is not a Good Thing. :?
avwolf wrote:"No dating dog-girls, young man, your father is terribly allergic!"
y̸̶o͏͏ų̕ sh̡o̸̵u̶̕l̴d̵̡n̵͠'̵́͠t͜͢ ̀͜͝h̶̡àv̸e͡ ̛d̷̨͡o͏̀ne ̶͠͡t҉́h̕a̧͞t̨҉́.̵̧͞.͠͞.͟

RobbieThe1st
Templar GrandMaster

#5 Post by RobbieThe1st »

Here, I have a script keeping this up to date: http://robbiethe1st.afraid.org/twokinds/
Now, easy way to download this: http://www.downthemall.net/ for firefox. Just install it, right-click on the above page, click "DownThemAll...", select images and click start. There you go.

As far as that script of mine, it is intended for downloading updates to the comic, not the entire archives. I have a script for the latter, mind you, but... :roll:

No Clemency
Templar GrandMaster

#6 Post by No Clemency »

Yeah, thanks Robbie for all your help, I found that link with one one of my friends earlier today, but there is one problem to it, and that is it only downloads at level 1, so since you already have that page with all your links right there at hand it would be fine, but as for the actual archive itself it wouldn't be able to do that since that would be level 2. But my friend and I found a program that can grab what ever at all levels, all the way up to level 99, I think is it's max, so I was able to grab the comic that way so it all worked out fine in the end. Plus it allows me to easily grab other comics on other pages so now it's just a few clicks and I can download any comic I want in a matter of minutes with minimal work. It really works great and it's very easy and user friendly and of course it was a free program. So I'm happy. But thanks for all your help all the same. :grin: Oh, I also posted my link on the FAQ board to the download of all the comics so far. And below is the same link, so for everyone else please enjoy. |D

Link:http://www.megaupload.com/?d=U68IA6SK

RobbieThe1st
Templar GrandMaster

#7 Post by RobbieThe1st »

I want to see the program you used, out of curiosity.

Personally, I went about it simply as a matter of URL-prediction(all the comic names are YYYYMMDD.jpg so you can simply attempt to download every date between 20031022 and *today*, though only valid dates - the ones that don't 404 out are comics and get saved. A little hackish, but eh.. it worked. :P

aj

#8 Post by aj »

RobbieThe1st wrote:I want to see the program you used, out of curiosity.

Personally, I went about it simply as a matter of URL-prediction(all the comic names are YYYYMMDD.jpg so you can simply attempt to download every date between 20031022 and *today*, though only valid dates - the ones that don't 404 out are comics and get saved. A little hackish, but eh.. it worked. :P
How about the filler stuff and other comics? i.e. 20090330_2.jpg, 20090710a.jpg and so on? How is that dealt with?

But I agree... this program sounds interesting.
===
Also, off tangent question. How many comics do you have? I desperately need to organize my folders, and some files aren't appearing in all of them (I appear to have at least 3 sets of the comic), but the largest number seems to be 564. That is with duplicates like 20031022.jpg, 20031022b.jpg and 20031022new.jpg though. But I've also got 20050529.jpg and 20050523.jpg (among others) which seem to be not appearing in Robbie's archive. Or in the real archive either as far as I can tell. :?
avwolf wrote:"No dating dog-girls, young man, your father is terribly allergic!"
y̸̶o͏͏ų̕ sh̡o̸̵u̶̕l̴d̵̡n̵͠'̵́͠t͜͢ ̀͜͝h̶̡àv̸e͡ ̛d̷̨͡o͏̀ne ̶͠͡t҉́h̕a̧͞t̨҉́.̵̧͞.͠͞.͟

No Clemency
Templar GrandMaster

#9 Post by No Clemency »

The program is http://download.cnet.com/Gyxi-s-Image-S ... 23093.html this is what we used to do this.

But what are you saying, dose my list of comics have some duplicates in it or is it missing some??? I already asked one of my other friends to scan through it quickly but they didn't find any, so please tell me if you found any comics missing or if there where any duplicates. Thanks! :grin:

aj

#10 Post by aj »

No Clemency wrote:But what are you saying, dose my list of comics have some duplicates in it or is it missing some??? I already asked one of my other friends to scan through it quickly but they didn't find any, so please tell me if you found any comics missing or if there where any duplicates. Thanks! :grin:
That's the thing. I don't know what is missing and what isn't. All I know is that I appear to have 546 comics with some duplicates, but also with some that don't appear to be in the archive. :?

RobbieThe1st
Templar GrandMaster

#11 Post by RobbieThe1st »

No Clemency wrote:The program is http://download.cnet.com/Gyxi-s-Image-S ... 23093.html this is what we used to do this.

But what are you saying, dose my list of comics have some duplicates in it or is it missing some??? I already asked one of my other friends to scan through it quickly but they didn't find any, so please tell me if you found any comics missing or if there where any duplicates. Thanks! :grin:
Oh, no, I haven't downloaded it - I already have my own copy of everything I have ever found of Tom's(796 megs/1862 files). Mind you, if you got all these files off Tom's current archive... there are a few pieces removed/updated - fillers and other such.
Here's a good set of the -old- versions of such files: http://robbiethe1st.afraid.org/twokinds ... &submit=Go
There are also a few comics that Tom changed the text on - fixing or improving the dialogue. For completeness however, I have kept the old versions: http://robbiethe1st.afraid.org/twokinds ... 00&search=
also, in case you want it, all the comic title texts since he began adding them: http://robbiethe1st.afraid.org/twokinds ... 090907.txt

No Clemency
Templar GrandMaster

#12 Post by No Clemency »

Okay then, I'll have to read through it and see what's up or get someone else to read through it.

Right now Tygron is reading through it, and so far he hasn't found any problems, he thought he did, then realized his mistake, so so good so far. Well I'll keep an eye on it for any flaws. But thanks for some of those old pics. some where quite interesting. |D

RobbieThe1st
Templar GrandMaster

#13 Post by RobbieThe1st »

aj wrote: Also, off tangent question. How many comics do you have? I desperately need to organize my folders, and some files aren't appearing in all of them (I appear to have at least 3 sets of the comic), but the largest number seems to be 564. That is with duplicates like 20031022.jpg, 20031022b.jpg and 20031022new.jpg though. But I've also got 20050529.jpg and 20050523.jpg (among others) which seem to be not appearing in Robbie's archive. Or in the real archive either as far as I can tell. :?
I have never seen those two you linked; they weren't in the archive when I downloaded everything, a couple years ago, and haven't appeared on the main page since.

Thinking back, what I did to download the Twokinds archive - TK was hosted on ComicGenesis then.
I created a command-line PHP script with no time-limit. I then had 3 loops inside each other - year, month, day. After padding out the date appropriately, and formulating a URL with it, it would load the HTML page for that date, scan for URLs matching a pattern and download each of those. Repeat for as many times as needed. It wasn't fast - It took a good hour or so to save the entire thing, but it did work nicely.
If you want a copy of my scripts(old, probably not working): http://robbiethe1st.afraid.org/files/comicgrab.rar (extract and run index.bat option 1 for comicgrab)

aj

#14 Post by aj »

RobbieThe1st wrote: I have never seen those two you linked; they weren't in the archive when I downloaded everything, a couple years ago, and haven't appeared on the main page since.

Thinking back, what I did to download the Twokinds archive - TK was hosted on ComicGenesis then.
I created a command-line PHP script with no time-limit. I then had 3 loops inside each other - year, month, day. After padding out the date appropriately, and formulating a URL with it, it would load the HTML page for that date, scan for URLs matching a pattern and download each of those. Repeat for as many times as needed. It wasn't fast - It took a good hour or so to save the entire thing, but it did work nicely.
If you want a copy of my scripts(old, probably not working): http://robbiethe1st.afraid.org/files/comicgrab.rar (extract and run index.bat option 1 for comicgrab)
huh. Strange. I would have thought your script would have picked it up.

Now i have to organise my folders asap then. Find out what else i picked up. :P

No Clemency
Templar GrandMaster

#15 Post by No Clemency »

That is interesting, Tom must of removed those editions for someone reason to help the comic flow better I guess. But I have to say those where really good pieces all the same, so that's depressing. But I went ahead and copied the pictures over into my archive any way. But let me know if you find anything else of interest in your investigation. And I'll keep checking out my archive to see if I can find any problems. Thanks for all your help! |D