Long Road North

Play around with roles and whatnot in here, I suppose.

Moderator: Moderators

Phaing
Master

Re: Long Road North

#106 Post by Phaing »

Lief wrote:Elizabeth returned much later that night, not long before dawn in fact. She was carrying three skinned and gutted hares on a string, which she deposited in the snow near the fire. She had dressed the kills where she made them, keeping the mess and smell away from their camp in case the wolves came sniffing...
Okay, to clarify- all of these would have been spit-roasted over the fire. Phaing would hang a couple of little pots to catch the 'drippings' as the grease is useful for various things. No doubt They will end up crispy on the outside and a little bloody on the inside.
One of the Rabbits ends up deboned and shredded, mixed with the rice in the final stage of cooking....
The Rookie wrote:John rubs his eyes as she speaks, clearing them of the night's sleep. "That's a relief, what's on the menu- oh.." John trails off as he opens his eyes and sees the contents of the pot. Not wanting to appear rude, he forces an exaggerated smile. "Oh wow. That looks good! I love what you've done with the... Umm... Chicken? No no rabbit! Definitely rabbit..! ... Or... Crayfish? What the hell?" He squints into the pot struggling to make out the exact ingredients. "But it looks good! I'm sure it'll be lovely..."
That stings a bit, and he probably caught her just as she was wondering how to finish it up. She says nothing, just gritting her teeth and reminding herself that he was trying to be nice.
Hmmm...
Spurred to greater effort, she pours the hot drippings into the rice for the final stir, then tamps the whole thing down and grabs a flat circular sheet of metal that she took for a serving platter (whatever it is :wink: she scrubbed it with some rock-salt, so it is clean enough) and overturns the pot on it. What you have is a cake-shaped mass of packed rice , and she simply places the two spit-roasted rabbits on top.
Where Phaing comes from, everyone would just gather 'round and dig in with their fingers.

"Hey Percy, you wanna give Judah a break from all the harassment and lend some spice for this thing? Whatever suits you all."
kiabugboy wrote: "welp, im going to go check in on our resident cook" he said jokingly
"i'm already starving" he continues as he walks to phaing's direction
"DONE!"

Well, here's hoping that hunger really is the best gravy...

"Help yourself, it won't stay hot for long."
She wraps her hand around a corner and pulls it free, eating straight from the steaming handful as she looks over the wagon. "Good start, glad you all decided to keep it. Guess Percy has decided to be Overlord... how far is the Wolf-border?"
"If you’re going to tell people the truth, you'd better make them laugh; otherwise, they will kill you."

-George Bernard Shaw

Lief
No hugs, I asplode.
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine

#107 Post by Lief »

kiabugboy wrote:Judah can be seen from the distance, several meters away going towards her direction.
the leopard approached her

"hey, i didn't catch your name yesterday. but i noticed you might need some extra protection from the cold, especially that you won't be travelling with us"

a fur coat was slung on his shoulder
Elizabeth gave no outward indication that she had noticed his approach, apparently focusing intently on checking her gear, but replied when spoken to anyways.

"Name's Elizabeth."
kiabugboy wrote:"managed to snuck these out from the wagon without the old man knowing" he chuckled a bit and grinned
"are you sure you don't want to come with us...."

he puts the coat next to her
Elizabeth didn't respond to this, however. She waited until she was done checking her gear to look over the coat that had been laid next to her. It looked like a decent enough coat. Light brown, and it looked quite soft. Doeskin? And the lining... She couldn't really tell what the lining was, other than it appeared warm. Well-made, but not too fancy for layman's work. Might restrict her movement, though.

Well, if nothing else it would be nice for the cold nights. She carefully folded and rolled it until it was small enough to fit inside her satchel, then stuffed it in.
The Rookie wrote:John's ear pricks up before he turns his head towards Elizbeth as she's inspecting her gear. "Oh hey! Yeah, much better. I'd honestly forgotten about it for a moment there." he says happily, rolling his arm in a large circular motion to demonstrate. "Thank you again for that. I'm not sure what I would have done without your help."
Elizabeth shrugged. "Be sleepy for a few days, probably."
Phaing wrote:"DONE!"

Well, here's hoping that hunger really is the best gravy...

"Help yourself, it won't stay hot for long."
She wraps her hand around a corner and pulls it free, eating straight from the steaming handful as she looks over the wagon. "Good start, glad you all decided to keep it. Guess Percy has decided to be Overlord... how far is the Wolf-border?"
Elizabeth, with the well-honed instinct of every adventurer stuck out in the cold, quickly gravitated towards the steaming food. On the very short trip over, she pulled out a pewter plate and fork from her satchel. She sat, cross-legged, next to the fire and food.

She filled her plate from the rice cake, and hacked off a haunch from one of the hares using her (meticulously cleaned) hunting knife. She ate this at a soldier's pace- Fast enough that it wouldn't get cold, but not quite so fast as to be "rude" or make a mess. For a not-terribly-picky eater such as herself, the food was fine.

Eliza paused briefly in between mouthfuls of food to respond to the question that had been asked. "Which border?"

Phaing
Master

#108 Post by Phaing »

Lief wrote: Eliza paused briefly in between mouthfuls of food to respond to the question that had been asked. "Which border?"
Phaing shrugs. "The one everyone has been talking about, I guess. Don't suppose anyone has a map that shows detail here?"

Her eyes flicker between Judah, the dreamily attractive Snow Leopard who always seems a bit reluctant, and the hard-bitten adventures.
"Elizzbeth, maybe you should play my Master? Judah is nice, I don't to make him un-nice..." she lowers her voice (Judah can still hear her, every bit of it) and nods at Percy; "I would rather eat my boots than kneel for that dirty old man!"
"If you’re going to tell people the truth, you'd better make them laugh; otherwise, they will kill you."

-George Bernard Shaw

kiabugboy
Templar GrandMaster

#109 Post by kiabugboy »

Phaing wrote:
"Hey Percy, you wanna give Judah a break from all the harassment and lend some spice for this thing? Whatever suits you all."
unfortunately Percy was occupied with his hammering that he didn't bother to listen to his surroundings, he kept doing his work all the while keeping an eye on the smoking horizon
Phaing wrote:
kiabugboy wrote: "welp, im going to go check in on our resident cook" he said jokingly
"i'm already starving" he continues as he walks to phaing's direction
"DONE!"
"having rabbit stew are we?" Judah sat down and grabbed a bowl, being a keidran, he doesn't mind the undercooked meat and just continues eating
Phaing wrote: Her eyes flicker between Judah, the dreamily attractive Snow Leopard who always seems a bit reluctant, and the hard-bitten adventures.
The leopard was caught off guard by phaing's look, but still oblivious of it, showing a bit unease, having spent his life barely ever making contact with many women, but regardless he still felt some sudden emotions stirring in him upon realizing the girl beside him looking at him that way and can't help but feel some attraction gazing back at her eyes
"so.. uh.. phang, a-are you from anywhere near here?..." he said while scratching his head in awkwardness
Phaing wrote:"Elizzbeth, maybe you should play my Master? Judah is nice, I don't to make him un-nice..." she lowers her voice (Judah can still hear her, every bit of it) and nods at Percy; "I would rather eat my boots than kneel for that dirty old man!"
"uh...uhm" he gulped down feeling more uncomfortable
"master Percy isn't all t-that b-

"i heard that"

percy suddenly appeared beside the two, having finished his work
apparently he doesn't care much about what the stranger said and just continued to get a bowl and eat

"So, smoke is on the horizon, i'm guessing those [censored] are at it again and- BLARRGH, what the... there's blood in this!" he spat out a piece of meat onto the ground
"what is this??" he looked at phaing

"i thought it tastes good.." Judah replied

The Rookie
Grand Templar

#110 Post by The Rookie »

Phaing wrote:"Help yourself, it won't stay hot for long."
She wraps her hand around a corner and pulls it free, eating straight from the steaming handful as she looks over the wagon.
As simple as it was, the was no way the John was going to pass up hot food. He reluctantly uses his bare hands to tear off a hock of rabbit and begins to nibble.

His look of surprise when it tasted half decent was strikingly obvious to those who were looking. Followed by more hurried eating.
Phaing wrote: "Good start, glad you all decided to keep it. Guess Percy has decided to be Overlord... how far is the Wolf-border?"
John stops eating a moment and looks at Phaing perplexed. "You really aren't from around here are you... ?" John says, finally realising the Phaing mightn't be from the continent like hes first imagined. "This is Wolf territory, well technically Canine, but the wolves are the dominate race here. It's about a few hours walk North East to the Human border town of Wreathwood from here though."
Phaing wrote:-Exchange between Judah and Phaing-
John watches the pair exchange with a rather awkward expression, feeling very much like he was intruding on something.

"Right.. I'm just gonna... Stretch the legs a little.." John says, putting on a bit of a show by stretching and grunting as he speaks. "I'll be over there if you need me. Like, way over by those tree..."

He quickly pulls out a small handkerchief from his pocket before filling is with a few handfuls of rice and awkwardly wondering away from the fire.
Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Lief
No hugs, I asplode.

#111 Post by Lief »

Phaing wrote:Phaing shrugs. "The one everyone has been talking about, I guess. Don't suppose anyone has a map that shows detail here?"
Elizabeth shook her head in response. Her only map was in her head, and she didn't fancy trying to draw it in the snow. "With the cart, assuming we can make our way through the forest and meet the road further North... It would probably take two or three weeks. If we have to follow the road the whole way instead of cutting through the woods, significantly longer. It more than doubles the distance we'd need to travel. On foot..." She trails off, looking over the group briefly. "Nevermind."
Phaing wrote:Her eyes flicker between Judah, the dreamily attractive Snow Leopard who always seems a bit reluctant, and the hard-bitten adventures.
"Elizzbeth, maybe you should play my Master? Judah is nice, I don't to make him un-nice..." she lowers her voice (Judah can still hear her, every bit of it) and nods at Percy; "I would rather eat my boots than kneel for that dirty old man!"
Eliza shifted uncomfortably, mulling over the question. "I could," she hesitated briefly. "Owned slaves before." Elizabeth gestured towards Judah. "Keidran, not human. Was never cruel. Could be, if I need to be."

She pretended not to notice the brief... Exchange between the two. However, upon finishing her meal, she stood and walked over to where the Basitin had gone.

"Any good with those?" Eliza gestured to the polearm and handaxe the Basitin was carrying with her free hand, the other holding her plate and fork.

Phaing
Master

#112 Post by Phaing »

kiabugboy wrote:"having rabbit stew are we?" Judah sat down and grabbed a bowl, being a keidran, he doesn't mind the undercooked meat and just continues eating
Bowls, she forgot about bowls! One for everyone, like the Inn last night, oops!
So many new things, and the simplest always seem to trip her up.
kiabugboy wrote:"so.. uh.. phang, a-are you from anywhere near here?..." he said while scratching his head in awkwardness
"Gods no! Heh, I thought that was the most obvious thing about me. No no, I come from far away, about 6 months sail south and west of here. Have you ever heard of the city Fangohr? Kalamach Cin? Umm... the continent of Narva? Well, no matter, just know that I landed a few days ago at the mouth of the big river and .... hmmm, I guess that is where we have to start coming up with a good story. Could just say I arrived as cargo, and was bought by one of you, or given in trade by some creature we are unlikely to see again... one of those awful Temple-men I keep hearing about, maybe?"
kiabugboy wrote:"i heard that"
"Good." She says without any concern. "Means there is nothing wrong with your ears then." She looks him dead in the eyes. "Be nice, I talk nice. Up to you if its worth it, yes?"
kiabugboy wrote:"So, smoke is on the horizon, i'm guessing those [censored] are at it again and- BLARRGH, what the... there's blood in this!" he spat out a piece of meat onto the ground
"what is this??" he looked at phaing
"Is not blood!" She shakes her head, irritated now. "Is marrow, is good for you. I broke the larger bones and took some out to put in the food... bah! Last time I cook for a while, not kidding."

The Rookie wrote:His look of surprise when it tasted half decent was strikingly obvious to those who were looking. Followed by more hurried eating.
Phaing rolls her eyes, but still smiles a little. She even manages to hold back any wicked little remarks.
For a while.
The Rookie wrote:You really aren't from around here are you... ?" John says, finally realising the Phaing mightn't be from the continent like hes first imagined. "This is Wolf territory, well technically Canine, but the wolves are the dominate race here. It's about a few hours walk North East to the Human border town of Wreathwood from here though."
That is a bit of a shock. "We ARE? But what about the smoke Percy just said he saw?" And then she makes a frightening guess; "I thought the Wolves had taken everyone by surprise, but... will we have to worry about Human raiding parties crossing our path?"
The Rookie wrote:He quickly pulls out a small handkerchief from his pocket before filling is with a few handfuls of rice and awkwardly wondering away from the fire.
Phaing actually feels bad about that for a moment. She reaches up while his back is turned and sticks out a foot, as if she is going to gently trip him and make the Bastian plop back down with the rest of them. However, that might send mixed signals, and she is trying to concentrate on the Snow Leopard right now. So, she lets him go, a little irritated with herself once again.
People feeling badly around her means that it must be her fault, and that isn't just how she was trained to think. It is usually true.

kiabugboy wrote:"i thought it tastes good.." Judah replied
People feeliong good, well, that is often just a happy accident, and one to be exploited if possible.
"Thanks for saying so, Jonah. I have much to learn, and now so little time to learn. You must show me how to be pleasing to Keidran people here, that is first thing. Then I learn how to be pleasing to Human people here... I have much to do." Sigh.

Lief wrote:"With the cart, assuming we can make our way through the forest and meet the road further North... It would probably take two or three weeks. If we have to follow the road the whole way instead of cutting through the woods, significantly longer. It more than doubles the distance we'd need to travel. On foot..." She trails off, looking over the group briefly. "Nevermind."
Phaing snickers, and then looks at the cart again. "Getting that through the woods? Sounds too hard, for one horse. You must take mine and hitch it up, make a double-team. I can't ride and be a slave too, and you might not be able to control that damned beast."
Lief wrote:Eliza shifted uncomfortably, mulling over the question. "I could," she hesitated briefly. "Owned slaves before." Elizabeth gestured towards Judah. "Keidran, not human. Was never cruel. Could be, if I need to be.".
Ooooo-kay.... the only thing that saves the group dynamic is how uncomfortable it was for Eliza to say that, and her reluctance to volunteer. Phaing had no idea she was sitting near a slave owner, even a former one. Her teeth show for an instant, and she tries to hold herself down, but she is actually shivering, her back ripples under her cloak.
"S'okay..." she shifts away a little, bumping into Jonah, and the contact reminds her that he is still there. "I'll be wearing Jonah's collar, could you just give him tips if he's not doing it right? Thanks so much."

She watches Eliza leave out of the corner of her eye, and relaxes when she and Jonah are alone. Phaing gives herself a little shake and turns to him; "Okay, first thing, what kind of slave? There are two kinds I could be. A drudge does the hard work and is dressed very plain. The Fancy kind still does work but also has to be dressed fancy, just maybe with a heavy cloak thrown over it all. I guess I am too puny to walk alongside the cart carrying a pack, but we could stuff a pack with feathers if you have any."

-George Bernard Shaw

The Rookie
Grand Templar

#113 Post by The Rookie »

Phaing wrote:That is a bit of a shock. "We ARE? But what about the smoke Percy just said he saw?" And then she makes a frightening guess; "I thought the Wolves had taken everyone by surprise, but... will we have to worry about Human raiding parties crossing our path?"
"Best guess is that's what's left of Foxhunt... Although... Nah, that's impossible. The wolves wouldn't dare attack Wreathwood it's one thing to raid a keidran villiage, but a human settlement... Nonsense..."

//The smoke is from the ruins of Foxhunt. Just a bit of foreshadowing, but Wreathwood is somewhere we could go if you want. .//
Lief wrote:She pretended not to notice the brief... Exchange between the two. However, upon finishing her meal, she stood and walked over to where the Basitin had gone.

"Any good with those?" Eliza gestured to the polearm and handaxe the Basitin was carrying with her free hand, the other holding her plate and fork.
John looks back to Elizabeth curiously, then down to the axe that sat in his belt loop. "Umm.. Yeah, I guess.. I mean just in practice, I've never had to use them in a fight before... Well you know... Not that I really got a chance now I think about it..." He seems rather disappointed in himself while he reminisces, his tail flicks around like an agitated cat's as he briefly recalls the events of the night before.

He then looks up to Elzibeth with a shy smile, trying to seem like the thoughts weren't bothering him. "How about you?" he says in a more confident and happier tone. "You seemed pretty experienced, I bet you're an expert in these things." patting the hatchet on his hip. "Any words of advice?"

kiabugboy
Templar GrandMaster

#114 Post by kiabugboy »

Phaing wrote:"Gods no! Heh, I thought that was the most obvious thing about me. No no, I come from far away, about 6 months sail south and west of here. Have you ever heard of the city Fangohr? Kalamach Cin? Umm... the continent of Narva? Well, no matter, just know that I landed a few days ago at the mouth of the big river and .... hmmm, I guess that is where we have to start coming up with a good story. Could just say I arrived as cargo, and was bought by one of you, or given in trade by some creature we are unlikely to see again... one of those awful Temple-men I keep hearing about, maybe?"[/color]
Judah readily brushed off the awkward situation earlier (even relieved he could just switch the topic)
"huh.. i-uhm, never heard about any of those places.. i don't even think i've heard of that language. the only continent we ever know of is john's continent.. unless maybe you've seen or heard about any of those names master Percy?"

"no clue."

Phaing wrote:"Is not blood!" She shakes her head, irritated now. "Is marrow, is good for you. I broke the larger bones and took some out to put in the food... bah! Last time I cook for a while, not kidding."
kiabugboy wrote:"i thought it tastes good.." Judah replied
Percy just looks at both of them weird, almost disbeliefing how they could possibly not get any distaste from the food
"well..here ya go kid, more for ya" he just passes on his bowl to Judah
"remind me to get you some taste of what good cuisine is like one day...once we get out of this hell hole with some money"

Lief wrote:"With the cart, assuming we can make our way through the forest and meet the road further North... It would probably take two or three weeks. If we have to follow the road the whole way instead of cutting through the woods, significantly longer. It more than doubles the distance we'd need to travel. On foot..." She trails off, looking over the group briefly. "Nevermind."
"cart's moving. that's that." Percy replied sternly, stubborn as a rock
"i-i don't mind the distance really.." Judah tries to add "we've got enough supplies there to last for a while, i don't think any of us is as resourceful as you in surviving the wild" he continued
The Rookie wrote:
Phaing wrote:That is a bit of a shock. "We ARE? But what about the smoke Percy just said he saw?" And then she makes a frightening guess; "I thought the Wolves had taken everyone by surprise, but... will we have to worry about Human raiding parties crossing our path?"
"Best guess is that's what's left of Foxhunt... Although... Nah, that's impossible. The wolves wouldn't dare attack Wreathwood it's one thing to raid a keidran villiage, but a human settlement... Nonsense..."
"well, then why don't we just go on there then? or am i missing something?"

Phaing wrote:
Lief wrote:Eliza shifted uncomfortably, mulling over the question. "I could," she hesitated briefly. "Owned slaves before." Elizabeth gestured towards Judah. "Keidran, not human. Was never cruel. Could be, if I need to be.".
Ooooo-kay.... the only thing that saves the group dynamic is how uncomfortable it was for Eliza to say that, and her reluctance to volunteer. Phaing had no idea she was sitting near a slave owner, even a former one. Her teeth show for an instant, and she tries to hold herself down, but she is actually shivering, her back ripples under her cloak.
"S'okay..." she shifts away a little, bumping into Jonah, and the contact reminds her that he is still there. "I'll be wearing Jonah's collar, could you just give him tips if he's not doing it right? Thanks so much."
Judah slightly jumped a bit, reacting to the bump
"uhm..that's good.. so at least we know what to sort of act like here?.." Judah replied a bit uncomfortably, Eliza owning a slave isn't very much a bother to him as a lot of other humans he knew and even friends with owned slaves, but he was a bit perplexed on her latter comment.
"but it's good to know you were nice to whoever they were. some of my older masters were a bit... demanding to be honest"
"also... uhm, it's Judah, phang.."

Phaing wrote:"Okay, first thing, what kind of slave? There are two kinds I could be. A drudge does the hard work and is dressed very plain. The Fancy kind still does work but also has to be dressed fancy, just maybe with a heavy cloak thrown over it all. I guess I am too puny to walk alongside the cart carrying a pack, but we could stuff a pack with feathers if you have any."
[/quote] "well, if we're really doing this, maybe we should just be as plain as possible.. not to catch any unwanted attention"
"i don't know, what do you think John" he tries to strike a conversation to the basitin "how's the wound doing anyway"

Phaing
Master

#115 Post by Phaing »

kiabugboy wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:18 pm Judah slightly jumped a bit, reacting to the bump
"uhm..that's good.. so at least we know what to sort of act like here?.." Judah replied a bit uncomfortably, Eliza owning a slave isn't very much a bother to him as a lot of other humans he knew and even friends with owned slaves, but he was a bit perplexed on her latter comment.
"but it's good to know you were nice to whoever they were. some of my older masters were a bit... demanding to be honest"
"also... uhm, it's Judah, phang.."
"Judah... what did I say?"
She thumps her head, harshly, and then again when she finally realizes that Judah has already been a slave.

"Gah! So stupid, I should have been able to tell! Alright, alright... you already know everything I was going to tell you about. Better yet, you know how it works here, in this land. And yes, simple is good."
His choice is a relief to her, but that relief is balanced out by the way he flinched away from her. Despite his earlier words, Judah must not find her very attractive. In fact, he is probably repelled by her, something that is as depressing as it is predictable. So be it...

Percy can be relied on to help her find "the worst junk you have that would fit me, more or less" and comes back wearing ragged cast-offs under a thick cloak. She has bundled her own gear up under the wagon-bed, where she can get to it by slipping a couple of knots.
Phaing hands Judah a riding crop that she has occasionally had to use on her thick-headed horse. "You can hit me with this, it won't hurt me. Honestly, with this cloak on, it won't even sting very much. Hey.... I mean when there are bad guys watching us. It could make the difference between them being all curious and making them look away, right? Now, what should I know about being a slave hereabouts? Oh!"
Phaing shows him her 3-section staff.
"Does this look like a weapon to people here? Is this something I can carry when I am walling around, or under this cloak?"

-George Bernard Shaw

Lief
No hugs, I asplode.

#116 Post by Lief »

The Rookie wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:55 amJohn looks back to Elizabeth curiously, then down to the axe that sat in his belt loop. "Umm.. Yeah, I guess.. I mean just in practice, I've never had to use them in a fight before... Well you know... Not that I really got a chance now I think about it..." He seems rather disappointed in himself while he reminisces, his tail flicks around like an agitated cat's as he briefly recalls the events of the night before.

He then looks up to Elzibeth with a shy smile, trying to seem like the thoughts weren't bothering him. "How about you?" he says in a more confident and happier tone. "You seemed pretty experienced, I bet you're an expert in these things." patting the hatchet on his hip. "Any words of advice?"
"I usually stick to swords or bows, but I know a bit and have seen more. Generally, you want to make sure you're hitting them with the sharp end. But if it's got enough heft, it should have a pretty mean backswing on it. If it's balanced, they make pretty good throwing weapons. The best advice I can give? Fight dirty. There's no such thing as a fair fight outside of a ring." Elizabeth sighs. "I'm going to end up training most of you, aren't I?"

Suddenly, she starts off in a random direction. "There's a stream not too far from here. You could clean up, if you like. Need to clean these, myself." She raised the plate and fork.

The Rookie
Grand Templar

#117 Post by The Rookie »

Lief wrote:]"I usually stick to swords or bows, but I know a bit and have seen more. Generally, you want to make sure you're hitting them with the sharp end. But if it's got enough heft, it should have a pretty mean backswing on it. If it's balanced, they make pretty good throwing weapons. The best advice I can give? Fight dirty. There's no such thing as a fair fight outside of a ring." Elizabeth sighs. "I'm going to end up training most of you, aren't I?"
"Well... Probably..." John admits with a shrug. "My 'training' was mostly self defence tips for thieves and drunks, mixed in with a fitness regime to keep in shape." Seeming a little embarrassed by how little he knows. "As you can tell, I'm not exactly a typical Basitin."
Lief wrote:Suddenly, she starts off in a random direction. "There's a stream not too far from here. You could clean up, if you like. Need to clean these, myself." She raised the plate and fork.
"Oh, yeah sure. I could use some fresh water myself." he says, gesturing to his his hands which he used to hold his food. "You have no idea how hard it is to get mushy rice out of fur, believe me..."

//Sorry for the delay. I hadn't noticed you edited your post.//