Long Road North

Play around with roles and whatnot in here, I suppose.

Moderator: Moderators

The Rookie
Grand Templar

Re: Long Road North

#16 Post by The Rookie »

kiabugboy wrote:Judah turns his attention to the basitin.
"uhm, you're not from around here aren't you"
he said in a curious manner
"forgive me if it's rude to ask, but-uh, you're one of those island inhabitants right? i heard they're-uhm, at war or something" he continues.
"it must have been horrible to live there, is that why you moved here?"
"Well, you're sort of right. I'm not from around here, but I'm not from the isles either."
John takes a long drink from his mug, mildly displeased that the local brew was largely tailored to the kiedran tolerance. At this rate he'd need at least 20 of these things to even feel buzzed. Damned toxin tolerance.

"My parents are from the Eastern half of the island, which makes them Western Basitin." He waves his hand dismissively, aware that there'd likely be a follow up question to the whole East/West thing. "I'd rather not get into the specifics of it, it's a long story, and it's not really important."

John then decides to speak in his native tongue, just to give his reveal a little more weight. "<I'm actually from a fox harbour town along the coast.>" If any of the table had ever interacted with foxes before, they'd notice John naturally has a strong fox accent, despite his appearance. "<I'm surprised you couldn't tell from the big bushy tail, usually that's a dead give away.>" he teases, gesturing to this average looking tail. It hasn't even occurred to him that he may be the only kiedran speaker at the table.
Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

kiabugboy
Templar GrandMaster

#17 Post by kiabugboy »

The Rookie wrote: "My parents are from the Eastern half of the island, which makes them Western Basitin." He waves his hand dismissively, aware that there'd likely be a follow up question to the whole East/West thing. "I'd rather not get into the specifics of it, it's a long story, and it's not really important."
judah was about to raise his hand in confusion before seeing the basitin's following gesture.
"huh, alright..." he said with one of his eyebrows raised. Quite an interesting society.., he thought to himself.
As far as he knows, this the first time he had actually interacted with these people.
The Rookie wrote: John then decides to speak in his native tongue, just to give his reveal a little more weight. "<I'm actually from a fox harbour town along the coast.>" If any of the table had ever interacted with foxes before, they'd notice John naturally has a strong fox accent, despite his appearance. "<I'm surprised you couldn't tell from the big bushy tail, usually that's a dead give away.>" he teases, gesturing to this average looking tail. It hasn't even occurred to him that he may be the only kiedran speaker at the table.
"oh, i-i'm sorry.. I don't-uh, really speak keidran" judah said rather embarassed. "You were speaking about fox towns? And-uh, something about bushy tails.." he continued and a bit confused

He explains about his keidran illiteracy, "i'm pretty much raised among humans and spent most of my life there, moving from job to jobs, until i was picked up by a merchant to work for him, in fact, i'm quite lucky to not be a slave working to death.." he chuckles a bit before his expression turned flat for a moment

"right now i'm helping him with his business, he's planning to trade a few goods here, i think you might've met him a while ago?"

Lief
No hugs, I asplode.
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine

#18 Post by Lief »

Phaing wrote:"You are very protective of things that do not last for long.". Her eyes roam Elizabeth's figure, bodly perhaps. What she is actually doing it counting weapons, or bulges in her clothing that resemble weapons.
"People have killed for less." Elizabeth caught the foreigner's wandering eyes and swept open her cloak, revealing her longsword on one hip, dagger on the other. Behind the dagger was a long pouch, with a flap and tie hiding its contents. Her bow was easily visible, still strung, leaning against her chair. One could surmise that the closed pouch contained arrows.

Having finished her current mug off, she swapped it for one of the full ones off the platter the waitress brought.
The Rookie wrote:John then decides to speak in his native tongue, just to give his reveal a little more weight. "<I'm actually from a fox harbour town along the coast.>" If any of the table had ever interacted with foxes before, they'd notice John naturally has a strong fox accent, despite his appearance. "<I'm surprised you couldn't tell from the big bushy tail, usually that's a dead give away.>" he teases, gesturing to this average looking tail. It hasn't even occurred to him that he may be the only kiedran speaker at the table.
Elizabeth glanced towards the Basitin when he spoke in Fox-flavored Keidran, almost tempted to translate his words, just to see how surprised the party might be. In the end she decided to once again maintain her silence.

Phaing
Master

#19 Post by Phaing »

((sorry gang, got 3 hours sleep last night before getting up at 2 a driving for 8 ,,, 9 hours? Too wasted to nap, can't post for nothing. Can we just have Phaing kick back and silently observe? Seems like a good time for that))

(( what are you waiting for? Keep going! :P ))
"If you’re going to tell people the truth, you'd better make them laugh; otherwise, they will kill you."

-George Bernard Shaw

The Rookie
Grand Templar

#20 Post by The Rookie »

kiabugboy wrote:"oh, i-i'm sorry.. I don't-uh, really speak keidran" judah said rather embarassed. "You were speaking about fox towns? And-uh, something about bushy tails.." he continued and a bit confused

He explains about his keidran illiteracy, "i'm pretty much raised among humans and spent most of my life there, moving from job to jobs, until i was picked up by a merchant to work for him, in fact, i'm quite lucky to not be a slave working to death.." he chuckles a bit before his expression turned flat for a moment.
John was perplexed, never had he encountered a kiedran with no knowledge of his native tongue. This may be something he'd have to grow accustomed to if he intended on moving further into human lands. "Oh... My apologies, I just assumed... With you being... Right, sorry..." he mutters, facing away from the leopard and rubbing anxiously at the back of his neck.
kiabugboy wrote:"right now i'm helping him with his business, he's planning to trade a few goods here, i think you might've met him a while ago?"
"No, I don't believe so. I mean, if I have, he didn't do anything to make himself memorable." John says, shaking his head. "If I may ask, what do you two trade in? Metals? clothes? Spices?"

Phaing
Master

#21 Post by Phaing »

((lets not allow this one to die, too, okay?))
kiabugboy wrote: "uhm, i think 'hello' is good enough"[/color] judah said smiling awkwardly and rubbing the back of his neck. "heheh, you're definitely not from around here.." he gives a friendly grin to the woman
"Nooo... it took the ship 3 months to sail here, and they, the men doing the sailing I mean, said that was pretty [censored] good time."
She says that without batting an eye, as if she had learned to speak this language from those same sailors.
Lief wrote: "People have killed for less." Elizabeth caught the foreigner's wandering eyes and swept open her cloak, revealing her longsword on one hip, dagger on the other. Behind the dagger was a long pouch, with a flap and tie hiding its contents. Her bow was easily visible, still strung, leaning against her chair. One could surmise that the closed pouch contained arrows.
"Less? Ah, as in for fun, you mean?"
And there is a bit of a gleam in her eyes when she says that to Elizabeth, as if she knows exactly what you mean by that. Its not a healthy kind of look, and she does her best to hide it from the nice boys we are sharing the table with.

She packs away a good bit of food, but washing it down with the drink they serve here is a bit of a chore for her. Phaing raises her hand... and then thinks better of it, hesitating.
At last she leans over and asks John, softly; "Can I ask for water, here, or is that not right?"
"If you’re going to tell people the truth, you'd better make them laugh; otherwise, they will kill you."

-George Bernard Shaw

Lief
No hugs, I asplode.

#22 Post by Lief »

((Don't look at me, I didn't have anything to respond to until now. :wink: Also you don't have to self-censor, the forum will do that for you for the people that have it enabled.))
Phaing wrote:"Less? Ah, as in for fun, you mean?"
And there is a bit of a gleam in her eyes when she says that to Elizabeth, as if she knows exactly what you mean by that. Its not a healthy kind of look, and she does her best to hide it from the nice boys we are sharing the table with.
Elizabeth cocked an eyebrow, taking a long drink of ale before responding.

"No, but there are those as well." Her expression hardened slightly, like if the ale had been too sour. Her eerily red eyes bore into the woman, just long enough to make most people uncomfortable, breaking off only to glance at the other patrons at their table.

Phaing
Master

#23 Post by Phaing »

Lief wrote:((Don't look at me, I didn't have anything to respond to until now. :wink: Also you don't have to self-censor, the forum will do that for you for the people that have it enabled.))
((I know, bit i have fun playing with the labels. When you see caps or something added, you will know it was something that that would scorch the paint))
Lief wrote:"No, but there are those as well." Her expression hardened slightly, like if the ale had been too sour. Her eerily red eyes bore into the woman, just long enough to make most people uncomfortable, breaking off only to glance at the other patrons at their table.
"Those?" Phaing asks, meeting your frightening red eyes with an odd look; one of intense curiosity. "Not you?" She can see that you are offended, and that leads to an even stranger reaction; one of great relief.
"Good!" And as she leans back in her own chair, she opens her own coat briefly, letting Elizabeth get a look at her own weapons.
Nothing that unusual, except for that folding staff.

-George Bernard Shaw

kiabugboy
Templar GrandMaster

#24 Post by kiabugboy »

The Rookie wrote:"Oh... My apologies, I just assumed... With you being... Right, sorry..." he mutters, facing away from the leopard and rubbing anxiously at the back of his neck.
"oh, don't be, we're living in hard times after all"
kiabugboy wrote:"right now i'm helping him with his business, he's planning to trade a few goods here, i think you might've met him a while ago?"
"No, I don't believe so. I mean, if I have, he didn't do anything to make himself memorable." John says, shaking his head. "If I may ask, what do you two trade in? Metals? clothes? Spices?"[/quote]
"This isn't master percy's first time on keidran territories, he's had some experiences going to a tiger village before."

"He's quite a wealthy merchant, so we have a bit of everything, We're mostly just bringing fine fur clothing, robes, leather apparels, an assortment of potions, some daggers and blades, i believe he even brought a few spell books as well, perhaps you have a liking for magic?. Other than that, i'm in charge of taking care of the herbs."

"So feel free to visit is in the market, or wherever it is this village uses for trading activities, might give you a special prize as well."
judah winks to the basitin.

All the while he eyes the two ladies having a seemingly unpleasant exchange before turning his attention to the soup that has now turned cold.

The Rookie
Grand Templar

#25 Post by The Rookie »

kiabugboy wrote:"This isn't master percy's first time on keidran territories, he's had some experiences going to a tiger village before."
"He certainly sounds well travelled, but I'm not sure how far that experience will carry him here. When it comes to the clans... Well, lets just say canines and felines can be as different as cats and dogs." John has a small smile on his lips as he speaks, clearly amused at his own attempt at a joke.

"Do yourself and him a favour, ok? Try to avoid small talk or haggling when it comes to canines and business, alright? Foxes have a reputation for knowing the true price of most goods being primarily a trading hub. Try and swindle them and the word will get out to all the local tribes before nightfall." he pauses a moment to sip at his ale while it's still cool from the cellar.

"The wolves on the other hand; while easier to trick, won't hesitate to make an example out of you if you try to screw them. I once met this big brute of a thing coming out from the ridge tribe; he wore the ears of three humans and another wolf around his neck. Apparently two of those men tried to sell him watered down wine, while the wolf's ear belong to the male who fathered his nephew and ran out on his sister after she started to show." He pauses for another sip, already feeling his drink growing warmer by the minute.

"He wouldn't say who the third human ear belonged to, but it clearly belonged to wealthy man judging by the size of the ruby studded earring."
kiabugboy wrote:"He's quite a wealthy merchant, so we have a bit of everything, We're mostly just bringing fine fur clothing, robes, leather apparels, an assortment of potions, some daggers and blades, i believe he even brought a few spell books as well, perhaps you have a liking for magic?. Other than that, i'm in charge of taking care of the herbs."
"You know, I've always had a soft spot for mages. I once met a vixen who could change her clothing with the wave of her hand. Lovely lady, terrible at cards though." John seems a tad distracted in the moment, as if remembering a fond, yet painful memory. "Anyway, I'm afraid your sales pitch is wasted on me, mate. Basitin can't use magic, just one of those things in life I guess."

kiabugboy wrote:"So feel free to visit is in the market, or wherever it is this village uses for trading activities, might give you a special prize as well." judah winks to the basitin.
"A special prize you say?" John ask with a cocked eyebrow. "I'm going to assume you don't plan on telling me just what that is until I buy something, are you?"

kiabugboy
Templar GrandMaster

#26 Post by kiabugboy »

The Rookie wrote:When it comes to the clans... Well, lets just say canines and felines can be as different as cats and dogs.[/color]" John has a small smile on his lips as he speaks, clearly amused at his own attempt at a joke.
judah's looks slightly unamused at the basitin's 'witty' remark though he tries to not offend the person and smiles along.
The Rookie wrote: "The wolves on the other hand; while easier to trick, won't hesitate to make an example out of you if you try to screw them. I once met this big brute of a thing coming out from the ridge tribe; he wore the ears of three humans and another wolf around his neck. Apparently two of those men tried to sell him watered down wine, while the wolf's ear belong to the male who fathered his nephew and ran out on his sister after she started to show." He pauses for another sip, already feeling his drink growing warmer by the minute.
"yeesh..." judah lightly tugs his shirt collars with his index fingers
"yet i am not surprised though, back in my days as a slave, we all know the wolves are the most insubordinate and violent among us. Heck, it's normal to see one stealing items or picking a fight with the other slaves. And all of us keidrans get really bad treatments and Insults because of what they did. Nothing but trouble, all of them wolves"
The Rookie wrote: You know, I've always had a soft spot for mages. I once met a vixen who could change her clothing with the wave of her hand. Lovely lady, terrible at cards though." John seems a tad distracted in the moment, as if remembering a fond, yet painful memory. "Anyway, I'm afraid your sales pitch is wasted on me, mate. Basitin can't use magic, just one of those things in life I guess."
"not even with mana crystals??" judah said in disbelief. "geez, must be a pretty tough life being a basitin. Sounds like you met quite a fine lady though." he chuckled and let out a hiccup while he puts down his glass of ale as he's starting to grow tipsy.

"don't feel too bad though. Master percy has tried to taught me magic, even lent me some of his finest mana crystals, all i did was spark a tiny flame that fizzled out in a matter of seconds... And received a handful of disappointed insults after..."

"he says i'm pretty good with a sword though"
he continued while motioning his arms in a swing as if holding a two handed long sword. "just needed more practice."
The Rookie wrote: "A special prize you say?" John ask with a cocked eyebrow. "I'm going to assume you don't plan on telling me just what that is until I buy something, are you?"
judah nods with a sly look on his face

Lief
No hugs, I asplode.

#27 Post by Lief »

Phaing wrote:"Those?" Phaing asks, meeting your frightening red eyes with an odd look; one of intense curiosity. "Not you?" She can see that you are offended, and that leads to an even stranger reaction; one of great relief.
Elizabeth nods, visibly relaxing.

Her eyes flitted across the other woman's weaponry, lingering only long enough to identify each one. They definitely marked her as a foreigner, even if the accent hadn't.

She leaned back with her ale and sipped it casually, apparently satisfied for the moment.

((Apologies for the short/crappy post, but at least I got one up in the time I said I would!))

The Rookie
Grand Templar

#28 Post by The Rookie »

kiabugboy wrote:judah nods with a sly look on his face
John rolls his eyes before leaning forward towards the Kiedran, a curious grin lighting up his face. "Ok, seriously. What's this prize? You can tell me, we're sort of friends, right?" he ask before looking down to the two humans at the table. "If you're afraid they'll hear, you could always just whisper it." John pleads as he runs his thumb along the bottom of his right ear. "These babies aren't just for sho- Oh, hey."

John turns to see their she wolf waitress, Pen, standing next to him, balancing a tray of bowls along her arm. "And yet, you didn't hear me coming, shorty." She chuckles. "Anyway, these are yours." She says as she places the tray down in the centre of the table "Sorry about tonight guys. I'm still getting the hang of all this waiting stuf- Oh right, up selling! Can I offer you any deserts? We have an awesome keidran friendly apple and berry pie that just came out of the ove- Arugh!"

Pen clutched at a bolt that protruded from the centre of her chest, a horrified expression of dismay across her face as she looked up to the table. "Huh? Wha.. Did I.." she mutters, coughing up a mouthful of crimson blood before falling to her knees and collapsing on to the cold hard floor.

The room is deathly silent for what seems an eternity, only to be shattered by a blood curdling scream as another patron was cut down at the entrance to the tavern as half a dozen armed wolves and dogs poured into the building. "<Take them! Kill any that resist!>"

Phaing
Master

#29 Post by Phaing »

Lief wrote: Elizabeth nods, visibly relaxing.
Phaing smiles and nods again, and its a shame the moment could not go on a little longer... but then, what always happens when you let your guard down?
The Rookie wrote:Arugh!"
Pen clutched at a bolt that protruded from the centre of her chest, a horrified expression of dismay across her face as she looked up to the table. "Huh? Wha.. Did I.." she mutters, coughing up a mouthful of crimson blood before falling to her knees and collapsing on to the cold hard floor.
Dead right there, and nothing to be done about it. That is the sum total of the thought spared for that poor girl, for now.

The others may be stunned, but Phaing pushes backwards in her chair, landing it flat on it's back. However, she is already rolling back out of the chair by the time it hits the floor. Phaing crouches low, one hand still on the chair as she looks up at the rafters for the assassin with the bow. And then she hears them -
The Rookie wrote:The room is deathly silent for what seems an eternity, only to be shattered by a blood curdling scream as another patron was cut down at the entrance to the tavern as half a dozen armed wolves and dogs poured into the building. "<Take them! Kill any that resist!>"
"Izzmatzin!"

( finally remembered that 3rd spell; flame-fingers!)

Holding on to that chair just long enough to make certain that has caught fire, Phaing rises and with a spin and a grunt, throws it into the attacking mob in a high arc.
That ought to cause them a little anxiety.
She then goes into a half-crouch, with the non-burning hand on the handle of her scimitar. She does not draw yet, nor make any further moves until she can get a clearer picture of the situation. Phaing is fighting down her emotions, trying to fight smart instead of going in swinging... but it isn't easy.
For about three heartbeats she will look for a way to do a hit& run on the leader, or a way to separate one of them from the pack and take him down before the others can save him. Or, maybe something else will catch her eye...

-George Bernard Shaw

Lief
No hugs, I asplode.

#30 Post by Lief »

((Apologies again. Been super busy and worn out lately. Can't make any promises or ETAs on a post, just Soon™.))