Roll to Dodge (That Alien!) [IC]

Play around with roles and whatnot in here, I suppose.

Moderator: Moderators

Lief
No hugs, I asplode.
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine

Roll to Dodge (That Alien!) [IC]

#1 Post by Lief »

For whatever reason, you find yourself in Scofflaw, a cozy little bar in Chicago, Illinois. It's around 11PM and, considering the time of night, the bar is sparsely populated. You only count eight people, including the bartender!

"Hey, Cort, what's with all the news reports lately? Ain't there somethin' better on?" Asked one of the patrons sitting at the bar, eyes glued to the TV despite his complaints.

"Something about a spike in UFO and "alien" sightings. Media outlets are blowing up about it for some reason." Cortney replied, not bothering to look up from the glass she was cleaning.

"Uh-huh," came the mumbled response.

"I'm sure everything will quiet down again in a week or so."

Right as she finished, the building shook slightly- just enough to be noticeable, and the TV went static for the briefest of moments before switching to an emergency broadcast. The emergency broadcast goes through its series of obnoxious noises, then cuts back to static.

"Or maybe not."

((OOC: Come up with your own reasons as to why your character's in this particular bar in Chicago, but that's where everyone is! I was considering waiting a round to actually start the invasion but there wouldn't be much for you guys to do. So I'll take the ambiguous side-road here and let your characters try to figure out what's going on.))

The Rookie
Grand Templar

Re: Roll to Dodge (That Alien!) [IC]

#2 Post by The Rookie »

Duncan was sitting alone in a dimly lit booth, staring into his second glass of scotch for the evening.

He came here to this empty little bar straight after his last shift at North Western Memorial Hospital; only stopping at home on his way over long enough to change out of his uniform and grab some cash.

He was drinking tonight to help forget what he'd seen that day. A child, no older than 11 had died in his care. A child he'd personally promised he'd do everything in his power to help save, a promise he indeed kept; Yet, there really wasn't much he could have done.

The child was in late stage 4 leukaemia, and by that point there was no hope of curing her, just making her more comfortable. Duncan had watched this particular case over the course of a fortnight, and no matter how grim things were, there was always a glint of hope in the girl's eyes when ever she saw him. He'd tell her the doctors were doing everything they could to save her, though he knew they pawned her off as a lost cause. She was such a brave little solider, taken far too soon.

As a nurse you're expected to see some truly horrid things. Blood, gore and mutilated limbs being the least of it. Duncan saw these things when ever he stepped into the emergency wing and had grown quite numb to it all. Still, there was something about watching a child's final moments unfold before your eyes that would cause even the most jaded of medical staff to crack a little.

When the emergency broadcast started blaring from the television, Duncan calmly, but quickly pushed his drink to the centre of the table. Placing his cash under the glass and pulling on his coat as he prepared to leave. He knew that if there was ever an emergency broadcast, there was chance that he'd soon find himself being called into the hospital.

However, he'd only got as far as two steps from his seat when the signal had cut out, and the sound of static had replaced that of the electronic sirens. Causing him to stop a stare, just like the rest of the bar seemed to be doing.

(Action: Stands from his seat and puts on a coat)
Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

MrFlyingAmoeba
Grand Templar

#3 Post by MrFlyingAmoeba »

The ice in Aliya's forgotten drink melted as she sat at the counter, flicking through a swathe of pictures of ravaged buildings on her phone. She'd stopped at this bar for a drink before heading home after a long day of negotiations. With all the recent terrorist attacks, surprise earthquakes, and random unexpected collapsing structures across the country, construction companies were rolling in contracts, so she was rolling in contracts. The lives lost were depressing, but her dwelling on that wouldn't help anyone. Although the requests for materials proofed against extreme heat and pressure were rather odd...

When the bar rumbled, brown eyes flicked up briefly before a text beeped its arrival.

oh [censored], look outside

Frowning, Aliya stood and began moving towards a window. Another disaster, if the interrupted blaring from the TV wasn't a mistake. But how bad was it, to get such a frantic message?

EDIT: [censored] [] Check out what's going on outside. Carefully. No need to get a face full of terrorist gunfire.
Red Mage Statscoski wrote:That is not how we do things around here, buddy. First we have to argue incessantly over semantics.

Myperson54
The Imagineer

#4 Post by Myperson54 »

Greg was having a bad day, a fact evidenced by his blatant disregard for the no smoking sign above his head. As he puffed on his cigar, he lifted up his hat slightly with his left hand. Quiet place, he thought to himself. Shame. There weren't enough gunfights and car chases in this town for Greg, who'd moved to Chicago because a friend said it was a great city for someone like him.

He was beginning to suspect he was being mocked.

Business was good, in a sense. He'd had to cut his regular fee in half for those poor families whose loved ones had died of unknown causes, or disappeared, or had been eviscerated by some unidentifiable weapon. There were a lot of those popping up these days, it seemed, and although it brought in no end of work, it was killing his rates. There must be some connection between the murders, he pondered, staring blankly at the television above the bar. Something about aliens. Huh, that's unusual, he muttered, But fairy tales won't help me solve these murders.

He tapped his cigar onto the floor, earning a glare from one of the waiters, and took a sip of rum and coke as the television briefly blared its warning. "Well well well," he announced, standing up dramatically. "Maybe they can after all."

Greg leaves his seat and attempts to look cool.

I am become salt, destroyer of memes

Join the Unofficial 2k Discord Channel!

Phaing
Master

#5 Post by Phaing »

Sylvester (Sly?) is leaning on the bar, one foot braced on the brass rail and anther wrapped around his rum & coke. He's trying to figure out if he still has what it takes to hit on a Barmaid without coming off as pathetic.
While he is thinking, bits of the damned news start to come to his notice.
"UFOs? More like the N'orks finally made one of their rockets work. No, not orcs, I mean the North Koreans!"
MrFlyingAmoeba wrote: Frowning, Aliya stood and began moving towards a window.
He snaps his fingers at Aliya, its almost as loud and sharp as a pool que hitting a ball on the table.
"Don't! If bomb goes off out there, the last place you want to be standing is next to a piece of glass that big. Not unless you think you are tough enough to stand up to a blizzard of flying glass."

He straightens up and looks at the TV more closely.
"I don't know if EPM works that way, but we could lose the lights at any second.... I think."

EDIT-
Action; Start edging around to where he can duck behind the bar, because he meant what he said, and wants to be able to duck behind something heavy in case something does go BOOM out there.
"If you’re going to tell people the truth, you'd better make them laugh; otherwise, they will kill you."

-George Bernard Shaw

Lief
No hugs, I asplode.
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine

#6 Post by Lief »

Duncan: (Great Success) You stand up and don your coat with a fantastic, completely unintentional flourish. For the briefest of moments you are the coolest cat in the room. If not for the creepy, possibly dangerous atmosphere, there would be a good possibility of a woman fawning over you.

--

Aliya: (Critical Failure!) You move over to the window cautiously and peer out from what you would consider a good angle to avoid a face full of glass. You're almost correct. For a moment, everything outside looks fine, then there's a flash of light and you hear what you think is a detonation.

Roll To Dodge! (Success!) That's all you see, however, as you duck in the nick of time, in small part due to the attempted warning of the loud man by the counter. A few shards of glass land in your hair but you're otherwise unscathed. (No damage taken)

--

Greg: (Success!) You stand up with cigar in mouth and strike a pose. You end up looking like a mob boss, which isn't what you were going for but is kind of cool you guess. But nobody's looking anyways.

--

Sylvester: Attention Grab(Aliya)- (Moderate Success) You snap your fingers loudly, startling the man sitting next to you (NPC), and yell at the woman investigating the outdoors. Your shout ends up somewhat incoherent, though, perhaps you're drunker than you thought.

Duck And Cover (Success!) You manage to move behind the bar moments before the detonation outside, saving you from any potential shrapnel, although you were already far enough from the windows to have avoided any regardless.

--

Francis: (Great Success!) You pop open the backdoor and look around, spotting nothing but a (presumably) homeless man sleeping under a dumpster. You're not entirely sure how he managed to get under there, but you do spot a hint of silver under some nearby rags. Investigating further, you discover a handgun hidden hastily hidden under a damp rag. (Handgun acquired!)

--

While the detonation was certainly loud, it was far enough away (Or perhaps quite small) as to do very little damage to the bar. It shook some dust from the ceiling and knocked down some precariously balanced bottles, but otherwise everything is mostly intact. Heck, it only broke five windows! (Out of 8!) Still, it was certainly disconcerting, and now there's all that screaming and panicking going on outside.

Cortney had ducked reflexively when whatever it was exploded. Or acted like an explosion. She stood back up once the dust settled, sliding over the bar and checking on some of the customers.

"What the hell was that? Is anyone hurt?" She sounded surprisingly calm, considering the situation.

The Rookie
Grand Templar

#7 Post by The Rookie »

Lief wrote:"What the hell was that? Is anyone hurt?"
"I'm alright, just a bit shaken is all." Duncan said covering his head with his super awesome stylish jacket in case any more glass comes flying down.

He huddles under the table he was just drinking at, reaching for his phone in his pocket. "Since the T.V and radio are dead, maybe we can find out what's happening using the Internet.", he muttered to himself, pulling out his touch screen and Googleing "Explosion Chicago (Today's date)". Praying to have a signal.

Action: Acknowledges sound off. Covers head with jacket in case of more falling glass. Hides under his table. Attempts to find out what's happening using his mobile phone's Internet connection.
Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Phaing
Master

#8 Post by Phaing »

Lief wrote: Sylvester: Attention Grab(Aliya)- (Moderate Success) You snap your fingers loudly, startling the man sitting next to you (NPC), and yell at the woman investigating the outdoors. Your shout ends up somewhat incoherent, though, perhaps you're drunker than you though.
Am not!
Well.... unless I am.

"Courtney, I hope you still have that shotgun under the bar!"
He himself makes no attempt to grab it himself. If he really is sloshed, then he is one of the last people in the room that should be armed.

He dashes to one of the blow-out windows, on the way he catches a look at what Duncan is doing. "Oh, you have got to be kidding!"

When he gets to the window he asks Alya "Are you alright?"

Action; Scanning the area outside and listening for any clue as to what happened. Was that really an explosion, and what kind? Sly has heard IEDs, smart-bombs and even been shelled by friendly fire, so direct observation may tell him something important.
"If you’re going to tell people the truth, you'd better make them laugh; otherwise, they will kill you."

-George Bernard Shaw

MrFlyingAmoeba
Grand Templar

#9 Post by MrFlyingAmoeba »

"Ah! Haha! Alright, then!" Ailya pressed trembling fingers to her face, searching for and finding no wounds. Glass fell from her hair as she stood, the chiming and tinkling of it far too cheerful a sound for what could've been an impromptu faux-shotgun blast to the face and neck. "I'm good, I'm good. Just...woo."

[] Take stock of the situation. You're shaken, but you're unharmed. What just happened out there?
Red Mage Statscoski wrote:That is not how we do things around here, buddy. First we have to argue incessantly over semantics.

Myperson54
The Imagineer

#10 Post by Myperson54 »

Gregory flinched violently in the middle of his dramatic pose when, all of a sudden, the windows shattered and people began to panic. It looked like he was going to get some of that action after all, although perhaps not in the form he'd desired. he strode over to the bar where a small group of people were congregating, holding out his badge. "Gregory Walsh, PI," he announced to whoever it was that seemed like they knew what they were doing - in this case, the bartender and an older gentleman. "I can't say for sure what exactly that was, but there's a possibility that there might be more explosions. We may want to evacuate the bar." Exactly how they went about doing that was unclear to Greg, but he wasn't about to sit about waiting to see if the walls were structurally sound, no matter how good the rum was.

Action: Lead/assist evacuation of the bar

I am become salt, destroyer of memes

Join the Unofficial 2k Discord Channel!

Ethan is cool

#11 Post by Ethan is cool »

i was wondering if i could add some input from the enemy side