The Daily Beasts

Play around with roles and whatnot in here, I suppose.

Moderator: Moderators

Phaing
Master

Re: The Daily Beasts (open)

#46 Post by Phaing »

The Rookie wrote:...Sylvi ponders a moment before she speaks "Just that you have a carnivorous option for our meals, if that's not a problem."
Spooner mulls that over for a moment, repeating the words 'carnivorous option' silently, and then he nods. "Oh , right. It will be 5 silver for the 4 of you then, and 3 more to put your horses up, per overnight."

Ten minutes later you are seated to a Lunch that consists of a big pot of Potato salad, onion soup, a Carot-cake muffin and a 3 pound grilled steak... for each of you.
Rita looks at it dubiously, and she herself looks as if she might fall asleep before she could finish it. Raimius digs right in and seems pleased. No fancy spices, just a good cut of inch-thick meat that is still pink in the middle.
"If you’re going to tell people the truth, you'd better make them laugh; otherwise, they will kill you."

-George Bernard Shaw

The Rookie
Grand Templar

#47 Post by The Rookie »

Phaing wrote:Spooner mulls that over for a moment, repeating the words 'carnivorous option' silently, and then he nods. "Oh , right. It will be 5 silver for the 4 of you then, and 3 more to put your horses up, per overnight."
"Thank you, sir" Sylvi added, gesturing to Raimius when the talk of money came up. "<Don't worry. I'll pay my way.> she said to putting on her flirty voice once more before pushing him forward a little.
Phaing wrote:Ten minutes later you are seated to a Lunch that consists of a big pot of Potato salad, onion soup, a Carot-cake muffin and a 3 pound grilled steak... for each of you.
Rita looks at it dubiously, and she herself looks as if she might fall asleep before she could finish it. Raimius digs right in and seems pleased. No fancy spices, just a good cut of inch-thick meat that is still pink in the middle.
Sylvi pushes past most of the food set before her with disinterest before impaling the larges side of beef she could with her fork; placing it on her plate. She lifted the dish to her nose, inhaling the wafting steam gleefully as the smallest of droll lines starts to flow from her chops. She places the plate down before her, using her knife and fork to cut off a thin slice of beef and popping in it into her mouth. She then closes her eyes, and slowly chews; Appearing to be savouring the flavours. After a few moments there's an exaggerated swallowing sound, as Sylvi leans back in her chair with a large smile and a look of pure bliss.

Before anyone could comment on her appearance, Sylvi discards her cutlery in favour of the use of her hands and teeth. She tears into the meat with ferocity of a wild beast, making cute happy munching nosies as she did. However her posture and table edict are still remarkably quite lady like; back straight, elbows off the table and certainly no snarling.
Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Phaing
Master

#48 Post by Phaing »

The Rookie wrote:...
Before anyone could comment on her appearance, Sylvi discards her cutlery in favour of the use of her hands and teeth. She tears into the meat with ferocity of a wild beast, making cute happy munching nosies as she did. However her posture and table edict are still remarkably quite lady like; back straight, elbows off the table and certainly no snarling.
While entertaining to watch, Sylvi is not exactly the center of attention. The others are just as famished, and even Rita saves her questions for later. Much later... she leans back in her seat also, and is fast asleep a moment later. Raimius takes the 2/3rds of her steak that remains and passes it to Sylvi, and then helps himself to more soup.

"Think 16 hours of sleep will make up for 2 days without?" Raimius asks Pete.
He nods, and then looks at Sylvi... and shrugs.

Raimius looks at you. "Oh, yes... how long were you minding that fellow? No, don't worry, the Brothers are taking care of him now, they will be taking him to their cloister and will tend to him for as long as need be." He glances at the doors to make sure they are shut, and leans towards you to speak more softly. "As will be the case with Rita and Pete. As for you and I, that has yet to be decided. I'll ask what thoughts you have on the matter later. Say, when we find out what sort of room has been made available to us."
"If you’re going to tell people the truth, you'd better make them laugh; otherwise, they will kill you."

-George Bernard Shaw

The Rookie
Grand Templar

#49 Post by The Rookie »

Phaing wrote:Raimius takes the 2/3rds of her steak that remains and passes it to Sylvi, and then helps himself to more soup.
Sylvi pulled her meal away from her mouth long enough to utter a quick thank you. The hair around her smiling mouth tinged brown with meat juices
Phaing wrote:Raimius looks at you. "Oh, yes... how long were you minding that fellow? No, don't worry, the Brothers are taking care of him now, they will be taking him to their cloister and will tend to him for as long as need be." He glances at the doors to make sure they are shut, and leans towards you to speak more softly. "As will be the case with Rita and Pete. As for you and I, that has yet to be decided. I'll ask what thoughts you have on the matter later. Say, when we find out what sort of room has been made available to us."
Sylvi stops eating a moment to listen. There were certainly several questions she'd like to ask, but it was clear the Raimius felt they weren't safe to speak of such things were they were. Instead Sylvi nods slightly, a serious expression in her eyes as she looked to Raimius. "I agree, hon. The food's absolutely lovely." Just on the off chance that someone was watching.

Phaing
Master

#50 Post by Phaing »

The family that live in this house that doubles as an Inn when required ate their lunch in the Kitchen. The rooms, on the other hand, are strictly kept for guests. Sylvi and Raimius are of course expected to take the one with the large-ish double bed. Raimius must have tipped someone when you weren't looking, there is a knee-deep basin of water that is still so warm it is giving off a little steam, in one corner of the room.
Propriety must be deeply ingrained in this little village, there is a privacy screen in a room intended for a married couple, right next to the tub.

Raimius nods to the tub. "Ladies first." and makes use of the much smaller basin of cold water on top of a simply made Dressing cabinet.
Other than what was already mentioned, there is nothing for furniture but two chairs and a small round table. The curtains are threadbare and the windows face west, where sunset will fall in a few hours.

He chuckles lightly with his back turned to you. "Marko, eh? Am I named for some famous Captain, or was that someone you knew back home?"

-George Bernard Shaw

The Rookie
Grand Templar

#51 Post by The Rookie »

As Sylvi saw that there was indeed a double bed, rather than a pair of singles, she was starting to think her brilliant diversion mightn't have been as clever as she once thought. Perhaps she could gather her bedding from the horse's cartridge and set up a spot for herself while Raimius takes the bed. She surely wouldn't mind.
Phaing wrote:Raimius must have tipped someone when you weren't looking, there is a knee-deep basin of water that is still so warm it is giving off a little steam, in one corner of the room.
Propriety must be deeply ingrained in this little village, there is a privacy screen in a room intended for a married couple, right next to the tub.

Raimius nods to the tub. "Ladies first." and makes use of the much smaller basin of cold water on top of a simply made Dressing cabinet.
Sylvi blushed a little, the idea of bathing in the same room as someone she'd only just met was more than a little unnerving. Raimius, however, hadn't done anything so far to give her reason to worry, of all things he'd been quite the gentleman so far. The added privacy screen didn't hurt either.

"Thank you, Raimius. I'll try to be quick." Sylvi said as she walked behind the safety of the screen. She caught Raimius turning his back to her out of the corner of her eye, giving her enough confidence to start to undress.
Phaing wrote:He chuckles lightly with his back turned to you. "Marko, eh? Am I named for some famous Captain, or was that someone you knew back home?"
Sylvi let out a slight short giggle before she started making internal coughing noises to try an cover up the sound. "Sorry about that, it was the first thing that popped into my head." she said with a happy tinge to her voice. "It's actually the name of the local butcher's boy back home. Marko Avery."

Despite the otherwise awkward circumstances, Sylvi was enjoying having someone to talk to to take her mind off things.

Phaing
Master

#52 Post by Phaing »

The Rookie wrote: Despite the otherwise awkward circumstances, Sylvi was enjoying having someone to talk to to take her mind off things.
That might not last for much longer...

He takes one chair and puts it next to the window that isn't behind the privacy screen. Raimius also puts one pillow and the comforter from the foot of the bed on it as well. It will be a good perch for keeping watch on what's going on outside, but not very restful.

"Well Sylvi, unless you are completely dense you know who we really are. That could be a real problem for us, or it could be a blessing. Hmm, speaking of blessings, you do have this way about you... as if you can't help inspiring trust. Rita certainly likes you. That's not something that happens very often to a kid that was always kept at arms length by her own parents. Practically strangers, if you ask me. If it weren't for one quick-thinking Jester who also knew how to find me, this land would be short one heir."

He is over at the Dresser now, putting things on the counter than sound heavy, made of metal. But he stops suddenly and curses. "The Brothers! I have to go see them. I'll be back in 5 minutes."

If you come out before he returns, some of his weapons are laid out on the counter. 5 knives is a lot, who needs 2 garrotes? And there are a couple of things that you can't be sure WHAT they are... one looks like a steel comb, a big one.

And its a little less than 5 minutes when he returns, and quickly locks the door behind him.

-George Bernard Shaw

The Rookie
Grand Templar

#53 Post by The Rookie »

Sylvi had only enough time to have dipped her foot in to bath before the conversation took a rapid change in direction. She was carefully listening to what the man was doing behind the safety of the screen, afraid that her trusting nature might have gotten her into dangerous situation.
Phaing wrote:"Well Sylvi, unless you are completely dense you know who we really are. That could be a real problem for us, or it could be a blessing."
What would he do if he considered her a threat? she wondered. Slowly redressing herself while spinning her foot through the water to keep him from coming in and checking on her.

This was the first time the pair had been alone since their meeting, and the sound of steel daggers being placed on the counter had begun to send a cool chill through her spine.
Phaing wrote:"The Brothers! I have to go see them. I'll be back in 5 minutes."
As he left, Sylvi hurried to redress herself, leaving the safety of her screen and made her way over to the wardrobe and saw the knives, lengths of strangling rope and what seemed to be a collection of metal tools possibly used for torture, to which she reacted with shock and horror. Had he just tried to lull her into a sense of false security before he...

Before she had a chance to finish her thought, she heard the sound of foot steps moving quickly up the stairs. In a panic, Sylvi grabbed one of the blades in one hand and armed herself with one of her stones in the other. She ran over to the window, shoving the chair aside and trying to find a way to open it.
Phaing wrote:And its a little less than 5 minutes when he returns, and quickly locks the door behind him.
"Get back!" she yelled pressing herself against the wall. The knife trembling in her hand "I won't tell anyone anything, I swear. Just let me go, please."

It appears she's gotten the wrong impression.

Phaing
Master

#54 Post by Phaing »

The Rookie wrote: It appears she's gotten the wrong impression.
Raimius sighs, a little exasperated and a little sad. He shrugs and locks the door behind him.
"It may interest you to know that the Brothers are drilling a hole in the skull of your patient. A tiny one, to relieve the pressure that a concussion sometimes causes. They say you are a fine medic, he would never have survived the trip here. In any case, if they had seen him just a few hours later it might have been too late. So, congratulations, you saved a life and won the grudging respect of professional Healers. The fact that it was a Human life stands you in good stead with the folk around here, too, but that never occurred to you, did it?."
While he was speaking, he took off his jacket, the wool vest and the shirt underneath. He pauses to whip the undershirt over his head, and before you can say anything, his pants follow. He rolls everything up and drops it by the door. "I arranged for our laundry to be done while we sleep. It can be done at the Cloister, but ... I never let myself rely on a positive outcome."

He is standing there in a loincloth now, and snaps his fingers to make sure you are not looking away.
"Alright then, the only weapon I have now is the one I was born with, ready to listen with both ears?" He goes behind the screen to make use of the tub. "You are free to go, I'm not the sort of imbecile that would try to keep you here against your will. But if you go, you should worry about a few things... such as the fact that below that window is a long drop to a slate walkway. There is also the fact that the knife you picked is a throwing knife, its just as useless in a hand-to-hand right as that magic pebble."
From the way the water is sloshing around, Raimius is actually using the bath, not fooling with it.

"Should you go, you should worry about Rita. Bad people are looking for her, they might not be looking to kill her. Instead, they could be out to imprison her mind, warp her consciousness and turn that spirited girl into their slave... and thus take control of the Human half of the Dual Monarchy that rules this land. And they want to do it in a time of war. So, the question for you, Sylvi, is how secure her future is with a very memorable Keidran wandering around out there alone with her secret. I don't suppose you have been trained to resist interrogation, eh?"

-George Bernard Shaw

The Rookie
Grand Templar

#55 Post by The Rookie »

Phaing wrote:Raimius sighs, a little exasperated and a little sad. He shrugs and locks the door behind him.
Sylvi immediately regretted her decision once she saw the disappointment on Raimius' face once he saw what she was doing. Still she wasn't quite ready to trust him. Even if he wasn't planning to harm her, this may have been the action that leads him to believe she's too dangerous to let live.
Phaing wrote:"It may interest you to know that the Brothers are drilling a hole in the skull of your patient. A tiny one, to relieve the pressure that a concussion sometimes causes. They say you are a fine medic, he would never have survived the trip here. In any case, if they had seen him just a few hours later it might have been too late. So, congratulations, you saved a life and won the grudging respect of professional Healers. The fact that it was a Human life stands you in good stead with the folk around here, too, but that never occurred to you, did it?."
Sylvi lowered her hand, realising what a fool she had been. He came back singing her praises, only to be greeted with a startled wolf at the end of a blade. "N-No... I didn't..." she muttered softly, regret lacing each of her words.
Phaing wrote:While he was speaking, he took off his jacket, the wool vest and the shirt underneath. He pauses to whip the undershirt over his head, and before you can say anything, his pants follow. He rolls everything up and drops it by the door. "I arranged for our laundry to be done while we sleep. It can be done at the Cloister, but ... I never let myself rely on a positive outcome."
If the situation wasn't awkward or tense enough already, Raimius' sudden near nudity certainly didn't help. Sylvi turned away sharply, shame and embarrassment on her face. Her ears had folded back, and she couldn't help but avoid eye contact.
Phaing wrote:He is standing there in a loincloth now, and snaps his fingers to make sure you are not looking away.
"Alright then, the only weapon I have now is the one I was born with, ready to listen with both ears?" He goes behind the screen to make use of the tub. "You are free to go, I'm not the sort of imbecile that would try to keep you here against your will. But if you go, you should worry about a few things... such as the fact that below that window is a long drop to a slate walkway. There is also the fact that the knife you picked is a throwing knife, its just as useless in a hand-to-hand right as that magic pebble."
From the way the water is sloshing around, Raimius is actually using the bath, not fooling with it.

"Should you go, you should worry about Rita. Bad people are looking for her, they might not be looking to kill her. Instead, they could be out to imprison her mind, warp her consciousness and turn that spirited girl into their slave... and thus take control of the Human half of the Dual Monarchy that rules this land. And they want to do it in a time of war. So, the question for you, Sylvi, is how secure her future is with a very memorable Keidran wandering around out there alone with her secret. I don't suppose you have been trained to resist interrogation, eh?"
"Rita?" she whispered. Sylvi wasn't one to let people down, but the idea of being responsible for a child's dark fate made her feel sick to her core. She felt trapped, damned if she did damned if she didn't.

Sylvi caught her reflection in the polished steel blade in her hand. Her grip tightening on the handle. "Damn you..." she uttered as she cursed herself. Tossing the the blade harmlessly across the room, causing it to skid on its side pass the screen and coming to a rest near the tub.

Raimius would be able to hear the sound of a few coins being rubbed together and tossed on the bed. Specifically four silver; One to cover her meal and the other three for any other expenses she had cost the trio since her arrival. Despite what had happened, she would still honour her promise she made to repay the group for their kindness.

Shortly after, Raimius could hear Sylvi's muffled foot steps as she moved toward the door. Then a moment of silence, as if Sylvi was struggling with what her next action would be.

"I-I'm sorry, Raimius." Sylvi uttered pitifully. With that, Raimius could hear the door being unlocked and gently opened and closed behind Sylvi. Her foot steps still being heard as she walked down stairs.

Despite all of this, Sylvi wasn't planning on leaving the group. Not yet anyway. She just needed time to collect herself, to think about the impact her actions would have on the others should she decide to go or to stay, and whether her relationship with Raimius would continue to exist in a state of constant distrust thanks to her own actions.

She soon found the inn keeper, still cleaning up after lunch, using a clothe to clear away any crumbs or spills on the dinning table. "Sir, when you have a moment. I need a drink." She said, placing a few copper coins on the freshly wiped table "A light cider, please... In the largest mug you have..."

Phaing
Master

#56 Post by Phaing »

The Rookie wrote:
Phaing wrote: "A light cider, please... In the largest mug you have..."
Spooner nods, he has a very large mug, but has to send a boy out to get the cider. It won't take long, the place is across the street, and he comes back with a jug barely large enough to fill your mug. He hesitates to go near you... as it turns out, he is afraid of spilling cider on you.

He is also too spooked for any easy conversation, and ducks out of the room as soon as he can.
Sylvi has a a good quiet moment to herself, everyone in the house gives you all the space you want.
until...

Abner comes in carrying some luggage. He stops and looks at you for a moment, and then goes up the stairs for a moment. He returns without the luggage and stops near where you are.
He too hesitates, before asking;
"Would you mind a bit of company?

-George Bernard Shaw

The Rookie
Grand Templar

#57 Post by The Rookie »

Syvli lets out a small smile as the child fills her cup, but it quickly fades as he disappears from sight. Along with every other member of the family.

Sylvi just sat there in solitude. A mopy expression upon her entire body. Pondering over her every thought with some very serious questions racing through her mind.
Phaing wrote:"Would you mind a bit of company?
At first Sylvi was caught a little off guard, letting out a small inquisitive hum as Abner spoke to her. "Hmm? Oh, Brother Abner, right?" Sylvi asked, turning her body to face the monk. "Please. Take a seat." she offered, her open hand gesturing to the seat beside her.

If he chooses to sit, Sylvi wont speak for a minute or so. Instead she takes a long sip from her drink, before continuing. After what seemed like a solid minute of drinking, Sylvi lets out a small gasp before asking Abner about his collection of supplies she had seen him carry upstairs when entered the establishment. Her eyes never turning to face the man. Staying solely on the contents of her mug.

"You were just in Raimius's room, right?" Sylvi asked. "H-How is he doing?"

Phaing
Master

#58 Post by Phaing »

Sometime during the silence; "My primary talent at times like this is being a good listener. "

The Rookie wrote: "You were just in Raimius's room, right?" Sylvi asked. "H-How is he doing?"
Abner looks at you quizzically. "That matters to you? Well... he is exhausted, and very upset .... with himself. He was on his way to come after you just as I arrived at the room. I managed to stop him, and to remind him of something before he could push past me.
"Raimius is not used to dealing with people like you. What I mean to say is.... yes, Keidran of course. But also people outside his usual circles. I mean warriors, mages, lawmen and the very worst criminals. Not the nicest people in the whole world, I am sad to say, but he has been effective in dealing with them. Now, he is out of his depth, he means to save the life of an innocent, rather than deal with the guilty."

Abner has sat down and is looking a little tired himself, but not in the same way the rest of you are. With a sigh, he adds; "At our shelter, it is also called a cloister, we have ways to remove people's memories for a time. It won't be permanent, it never really is, but for long enough to make you irrelevant to our present emergency. Its there if you want it."

-George Bernard Shaw

The Rookie
Grand Templar

#59 Post by The Rookie »

Phaing wrote:Abner looks at you quizzically. "That matters to you? Well... he is exhausted, and very upset .... with himself. He was on his way to come after you just as I arrived at the room. I managed to stop him, and to remind him of something before he could push past me.

"Raimius is not used to dealing with people like you. What I mean to say is.... yes, Keidran of course. But also people outside his usual circles. I mean warriors, mages, lawmen and the very worst criminals. Not the nicest people in the whole world, I am sad to say, but he has been effective in dealing with them. Now, he is out of his depth, he means to save the life of an innocent, rather than deal with the guilty."
"Of course it matters.." Sylvi replies, sorrow in her words. "I mean, we've only just met, but he's shown me such kindness. I mean in his own way, I guess." She slumps forward; her chin hitting the table with a dull thud sound. "Mask above, he even payed for a hot bath, and I repay his generosity by..." Sylvi closed her eyes and straightened her back up. Taking yet another sip before continuing.

"Did he say where he was going?" she asked. She was a bit concerned now. If Raimius was to get himself into trouble now, she'd certainly blame herself.
Phaing wrote:Abner has sat down and is looking a little tired himself, but not in the same way the rest of you are. With a sigh, he adds; "At our shelter, it is also called a cloister, we have ways to remove people's memories for a time. It won't be permanent, it never really is, but for long enough to make you irrelevant to our present emergency. Its there if you want it."
Sylvi looked confused a moment, before shaking her head. "No, no no. I couldn't accept an offer like that." she said clearly. "What are we if not a collection of memories that make us who we are?" she asked the monk. "Besides, I couldn't do that to Rita." She muttered, raising her mug to her lips once more.

At this this rate she'd probably be about half way through her drink. Fortunately she'd gone with the lighter option, otherwise the alcohol may start to over whelm her body's tolerance levels, rather than just acting as a way to help clear her mind.

Phaing
Master

#60 Post by Phaing »

The Rookie wrote:
Phaing wrote: "Did he say where he was going?" she asked. She was a bit concerned now. If Raimius was to get himself into trouble now, she'd certainly blame herself.
Abner gives you a funny look. "Well... he was coming after you. I stopped him because I saw you down here, looking as if you needed some space to yourself. And to make sure he stayed up there, I took his clothes to the laundress. I also told him that if he didn't get some rest I could always make sure he did, but i didn't really want to take a chance on giving him a concussion ... and that was just about the time I decided to leave, quickly."

They don't really understand what 'light' cider is here. Yours is certainly light in color, but it does have a little spirit in it, a bit less than Beer, but its still there.

"Half of us are leaving now, I will be staying with one of my more trusted associates and his cousin... so, that perch by the widow will not be needed. Why don't you go get some rest now? After what you have been through, I think you may need it before you make any decisions."

-George Bernard Shaw