The Daily Beasts

Play around with roles and whatnot in here, I suppose.

Moderator: Moderators

Phaing
Master

Re: The Daily Beasts (open)

#16 Post by Phaing »

The Rookie wrote:...
"C-Can I ask what you're doing here?" Sylvi asked the men quietly, barely louder than a whisper.
Rence; "From Ditteridge, ain't ya? Thought I heard something like that in your voice." He shrugs at Nappy. "Who else would bother?"

That comment makes the 3rd man glance at your Spear.

Nappy; Shrugs at your question. "You can ask, but-"

The 3rd man slams the butt of his spear into the ground, resoundingly, and both of the other men flinch away from him. Nappy tries to look defiant, and comes off as petulant instead.
"Deputies, I think I have had enough of both of you." To you he says; "We have been hunting Bandits, and now these men will be hunting Feral Lupus. I will be heading for the nearest settlement. There is room in my wagon for-"

"Hey!" Nappy wasn't expecting that.

"I told you what would happen if you two didn't stop with the constant shrugging. And you needed my help with a gang of bandits, a few Ferals isn't beyond you, right? As you just said, you know your way around here better than I do, yes?" Back to you; "I can transport this man to a healer's establishment, there must be one at Senaloa. You are welcome to come along with us, but when we reach that village I suggest you show as much white fur as possible. War has broken out between the Kingdom and the Timber Wolfen."

He does have a somewhat odd and reserved way of speaking, but at this point he removes his own mask. His face is clean-shaven, unlike the others. His face has scars, one vertical one down the left temple and cheek, and a horizontal one on his right cheek that also broke his nose. "Call me Raimius*, what do we call you?"

*Ray-me-us
"If you’re going to tell people the truth, you'd better make them laugh; otherwise, they will kill you."

-George Bernard Shaw

The Rookie
Grand Templar

#17 Post by The Rookie »

Sylvi was surprised by the sudden shift in authority, her attention now fully on the apparent leader of the group, Raimius.
Reimius wrote:"I can transport this man to a healer's establishment, there must be one at Senaloa. You are welcome to come along with us, but when we reach that village I suggest you show as much white fur as possible. War has broken out between the Kingdom and the Timber Wolfen.
"War? Sylvi asked in shock. There was always resentment between the humans and the Forest Wolves, yet she never expected the conflict to escalate to such a level.

While she heard the man's offer to take her and the wounded knight into town, she was hesitant as to whether she could trust him. While her mother was a snow wolf, her father was certainly a forester. A fact that caused her to wonder if her brown spots be enough of a reason for them to consider her the enemy.

She rose to her feet slowly, still keeping a grip on her chest pocket and her eyes never letting any of the marshals out of sight. "W-What of the Snow Wolves? What about Ditterage?" she asked, her concern seeping into her voice. "Are they safe? Am I safe?" she asked as she stared into the scarred man's eye. Afraid for what he may say next.
Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Phaing
Master

#18 Post by Phaing »

The Rookie wrote: She rose to her feet slowly, still keeping a grip on her chest pocket and her eyes never letting any of the marshals out of sight. "W-What of the Snow Wolves? What about Ditterage?" she asked, her concern seeping into her voice. "Are they safe? Am I safe?" she asked as she stared into the scarred man's eye. Afraid for what he may say next.
Rence and Nappy abruptly lose interest in you as it becomes obvious you had no idea about what has been going on lately. They start trying to argue with Raimius. He is hearing none of it, and ignores them so well that they have to give up an leave.

"Your name."
It is something he will insist on before he goes on.
"The war is South, far from here. Few believe the Snow Wolves will get involved, and with winter coming nobody should be very concerned with that notion in any case. Or ... am I wrong in that assumption?"

A young Human, of about 10 or 12 years, peeks from around the tree at you both. "What's happening?"

"Go make room in the buckboard for this man, and this woman too, perhaps. We are parting company with the posse'." Raimius does not look away from Sylvi, but he senses the child hesitate. "Go, we will talk more later."
"If you’re going to tell people the truth, you'd better make them laugh; otherwise, they will kill you."

-George Bernard Shaw

The Rookie
Grand Templar

#19 Post by The Rookie »

"S-Sylvi.. My name is Sylvi.." Sylvi uttered quietly.
Phaing wrote:"The war is South, far from here. Few believe the Snow Wolves will get involved, and with winter coming nobody should be very concerned with that notion in any case. Or ... am I wrong in that assumption?"
Sylvi shook her head slightly. "No, sir. I just needed to be sure." she added. There was a slight sound of relief in her voice when there wasn't any news about her home being caught up in the conflict. However, it didn't change the fact that she was a wolf in human lands. Something that could be considered dangerous at the best of time.
Phaing wrote:"Go make room in the buckboard for this man, and this woman too, perhaps. We are parting company with the posse'." Raimius does not look away from Sylvi, but he senses the child hesitate. "Go, we will talk more later."
"Who was that?" Sylvi asked, pointing with her free hand towards where the child had stood. "Your son?"

Phaing
Master

#20 Post by Phaing »

The Rookie wrote: Sylvi asked, pointing with her free hand towards where the child had stood. "Your son?"
He nearly smiles... nearly. "A daughter, not mine." Heavy sigh. "Nobody's, now. Come, lets rig up a stretcher, I hope that spear of your's is more study than it looks."
Raimius wants to rig up something quickly that will hold together just long enough to get him out to the clearing.

"Now, before I let you travel with us, I have to ask; what are you doing in this part of the Kingdom, what are you looking to do here?"

The wagon is really a light carriage, one wheels for now but there are sled runners strapped to the sides of it. It has a canvas top and two horses for pulling and one for riding. The girl will be there as well as one more person of about the same size.

-George Bernard Shaw

The Rookie
Grand Templar

#21 Post by The Rookie »

Phaing wrote:He nearly smiles... nearly. "A daughter, not mine." Heavy sigh. "Nobody's, now. Come, lets rig up a stretcher, I hope that spear of your's is more study than it looks."
Raimius wants to rig up something quickly that will hold together just long enough to get him out to the clearing.
Sylvi gave a nod as she walked over to pick up her spear. "It's elegant, but tough." she said proudly; raising the crystal to eye level. "It should do the trick."
Phaing wrote:"Now, before I let you travel with us, I have to ask; what are you doing in this part of the Kingdom, what are you looking to do here?"
"Honestly, just travelling. I just wanted to get out and see the world while I still could." She looked back to Raimius "W-We don't have the same liberty of time as your kind, ya know." she said softly.

"Now, would you mind waiting a moment while I pack a few things?" Sylvi asked, already packing a few belongings away into a small back pack. "It shouldn't take long."

Sylvi packed her camp site in a matter of minutes, allowing the pair to construct their make shift stretcher using their spears as poles and a cloak as the sling. Raimius lead the pair, lifting the stretcher from the front while Sylvi followed supporting the rear.

Phaing
Master

#22 Post by Phaing »

The Rookie wrote: Raimius lead the pair, lifting the stretcher from the front while Sylvi followed supporting the rear.
He also has to walk backwards, you will have to lift together to get this man into the carriage, and he so no featherweight. The sword and breastplate are there also, but the posse' has already departed by the time you get the carriage all packed up.

Raimius starts to introduce you to the others, but he hand't thought this through.
"This is Sylvi, a healer from Kitteridge, and she has been taking care of this man... whoever he is. We are pushing on to Senaloa, should make it by midday if we don't dawdle. Sylvi, meet.... erm.... number one and number two."

"What?" The one you took for boy is rather Tom-Boyish, and not at all bashful about standing up to Raimius now. "That's what we have been calling the horses!" She looks to you and smiles. "Greetings and fairweather to you, I am-"

"Ahem!"

"... Rita. I do hope those country bumpkins didn't frighten you too terribly much. Won't you join me in the back seat? Pyotr will drive, and we can talk."

Pyotr waves, with a large hand. He is not a kid, but a Dwarf of some sort, and says nothing for himself yet.

-George Bernard Shaw

The Rookie
Grand Templar

#23 Post by The Rookie »

Sylvi helps to lift the man into the cartridge and placing her pack down next to him before she's introduced to the rest of the gang.
Phaing wrote: "... Rita. I do hope those country bumpkins didn't frighten you too terribly much. Won't you join me in the back seat? Pyotr will drive, and we can talk."

Pyotr waves, with a large hand. He is not a kid, but a Dwarf of some sort, and says nothing for himself yet.
"It's a pleasure to meet you, Rita." Sylvi said with a faint smile. "I'd love to join you, if don't mind the company." She then gave a quick wave to Pyotr, shooting him a smile before being led to her seat by Rita.

Phaing
Master

#24 Post by Phaing »

A Dwarf, not in the exotic sense, but a Human that never grew very tall. His chubby face is not old looking, but he does have gray sideburns and stubble on his chin. He smiles in a simple way and takes up the traces for guiding the horse team.

Raimius pulls his spear free and heads to his horse, a tall and elegant mount that could have trotted out of those tales of Knights that Humans are so fond of, particularly the younger ones. Something that might not have been evident before in the cave or when he was carefully walking backwards; he moves with an odd limp, as if he has a club foot. Once in the saddle, there was some cursing involved, he leads the way into the foggy darkness. Rain starts again after about an hour, the canvas top keeps you dry but the cold is pretty miserable. In some ways, just above freezing is worse that just below.

Rita pulls an extra blanket out of a trunk and puts it over the wounded man. Oh brother, once you are moving she becomes a regular chatter-box, and its all questions for you;
"What's it like to be Keidran?
"Is Kitteridge really so wonderful?"
"Why are snow Wolfen so different from Timber Wolfen?" (that odd nomenclature again)
"Have you ever been to {fill in the blank, she has a map of this whole continent memorized but has never seen any of it} and what's it like?"

By Dawn, even Pyotr seems sick of her voice, but he won't do anything about it.
The horses pulling your wagon are shaggy, muscle-bound brutes with hammer shaped heads that just plod along at the same pace, mile after mile without any sign of tiring.

Raimius is not tiring either. Always with the spear held like a lance, darting here and there... investigating possible hiding places. Once he doubles back and tells you. "We are doing well, from what I can tell. We should get where we are going before they are getting down to lunch."

-George Bernard Shaw

The Rookie
Grand Templar

#25 Post by The Rookie »

Sylvi did her best to answer Rita's many questions, often going on long tangents in an attempt to better explain small aspects of larger stories. She was quite the talker when she wanted to be. A trait that probably didn't help Pyotr at all, but the captivated Rita enjoyed thoroughly.

Sylvi went on the explain her odd appearance, her heritage, her upbringing and the significance of the magical spear in her possession; which she let Rita hold the majority of the trip. So long as she promised not to tell anyone with white fur.

Through out the night Sylvi would check on her patient periodically, alas there had been no signs of improvement.
Phaing wrote:"We are doing well, from what I can tell. We should get where we are going before they are getting down to lunch."
"Thank you, Raimius." Sylvi said she was showing Rita her collection of mana stones. "It'll be good to get out and stretch my legs again."

Phaing
Master

#26 Post by Phaing »

The Rookie wrote: Sylvi went on the explain her odd appearance, her heritage, her upbringing and the significance of the magical spear in her possession; which she let Rita hold the majority of the trip. So long as she promised not to tell anyone with white fur.
Raimius had remarked to Pyotr something to the effect of "Great, now we have two of them?" and the Dwarf holds up a hand making a gesture imitating a chattering jaw. However, when Rita repeats the above information to him, he looks at you with new eyes... and starts to relax in your presence.
The Rookie wrote: Sylvi said she was showing Rita her collection of mana stones. "It'll be good to get out and stretch my legs again."
The spear was one thing, and he had already known about that anyway, but the stones... "How old are you, lass? I ask because you are very forthcoming about revealing so much about youself. In fact, you come across as rather naive."

"That will do!" Rita barks at him, but Raimius quickly wins the stare-down that follows.

He continues; "Have a care, Sylvi, especially when it comes to revealing your magic. Healers are much sought-after, especially now that there is a war on. There is such a thing as being TOO popular for your own good. Speaking of that, how is this fellow doing? Hmmm.... well, unchanged is better than something worse. If we are lucky, there will be some people there that I know, but how often does luck come into it, eh?"

3 hours later the village comes into sight, not that it's much to look at. Perhaps 100 people at most. No Tower, if a Templar has ever seen this place, it was probably an accident. You approach from overland, by-passing a Ranch while keeping a distance from the Barn and house, and you can see 3 roads that are barely more than tracks; one heads south, one north, and one angles off to the northeast.

"I hope they have an Inn, or something!"

-George Bernard Shaw

The Rookie
Grand Templar

#27 Post by The Rookie »

Phaing wrote:The spear was one thing, and he had already known about that anyway, but the stones... "How old are you, lass? I ask because you are very forthcoming about revealing so much about youself. In fact, you come across as rather naive."

"That will do!" Rita barks at him, but Raimius quickly wins the stare-down that follows.
"It's ok, Rita." Sylvi said calmly, appreciative that Rita had stepped in to defend her. "I'm 11, sir. Almost the same as Rita here." he said gesturing to the young girl. "As for why I appear 'forthcoming', it's because I feel like I don't need to hide anything from you." she said as she placed one of the stones in Rita's hands. "If you wanted to harm me or steal from me you'd have done it while we were still in the cave."
Phaing wrote:He continues; "Have a care, Sylvi, especially when it comes to revealing your magic.
"Don't worry. Once we're in town, I'll try to keep things under wraps, ok?" she said, taking out a small cloth and wrapping around the mana stone on her spear.
Phaing wrote:Healers are much sought-after, especially now that there is a war on. There is such a thing as being TOO popular for your own good. Speaking of that, how is this fellow doing?
"There hasn't been any change, unfortunately." she said, glancing down at the man lying on the floor, still unconscious. "He's still stable, but he still hasn't woken up."
Phaing wrote:Hmmm.... well, unchanged is better than something worse. If we are lucky, there will be some people there that I know, but how often does luck come into it, eh?"
"Luck?" Sylvi said questioningly before pondering over the question. "I'm not really sure. I mean, a person can live or die on whether a cut is just an extra centimetre deep, or just an inch to the left." she said matter-of-factly "Then you've got to a count for the time between injury and treatment, then the skill of the practitioner, the equipment and experience then come into it.." Sylvi looked back at Raimius, realising she'd once again gone on a tangent, like she had done often with Rita. "Sorry, sir. What I meant is luck plays a vital role in everyone's lives. Healing is honestly no different."

3 hours later the village comes into sight, not that it's much to look at. Perhaps 100 people at most. No Tower, if a Templar has ever seen this place, it was probably an accident. You approach from overland, by-passing a Ranch while keeping a distance from the Barn and house, and you can see 3 roads that are barely more than tracks; one heads south, one north, and one angles off to the northeast.
Phaing wrote:"I hope they have an Inn, or something!"
"I'd say. I'm starving." the wolf said in agreeance, placing both her hands on her stomach for added affect.

Phaing
Master

#28 Post by Phaing »

The Rookie wrote:
Phaing wrote: "Sorry, sir. What I meant is luck plays a vital role in everyone's lives. Healing is honestly no different."
"What I mean is that our luck has been rather poor of late. I am sorry miss, but I fear that now that you are with us, your's may suffer as well." He exchanges a significant look with Rita.

Instead of arguing, she holds her poise and nods.
"I won't insist on her staying, or leaving." She gives him a sad smile, and Raimius concedes the point, as he did with Sylvi earlier when she told him why she had revealed so much about herself. As for Rita, she does seem sad about something or other, and whatever it is it goes deep. Any time Sylvi asks her about it, or anything detailed about herself, she changes the subject. Rita is rather good at that, she has a talent for smooth-talking that should be beyond her years... and not just for Humans.

But if you really press it...
"If you find out too much , you may lose your freedom to come and go as you please."
The Rookie wrote:
Phaing wrote:"I hope they have an Inn, or something!"
"I'd say. I'm starving." the wolf said in agreeance, placing both her hands on her stomach for added affect.
Pyotr nods with enthusiasm, and then points to a tiny caravan approaching from the other side of town, along the NorthEast road.
"if that is who I think it is, Raimius is going to have to change his mind about our luck!" Rita whispers with a triumphant smile.

The village is almost entirely along the north-south road and isn't much to look at. There is a large house at the intersection that looks as if it might be an Inn, or just a place where there should be some extra rooms available.
Rita covers your hand with her little one. "Thank you for the wonderful company! Its been days since I had anyone female to talk to." And then she bounces out of the wagon into the frightfully muddy street. "Come Pyotr, lets see if these people appreciate some good Silver."

They dash around Raimius, who has reigned in next to the wagon and is looking at the wounded man. He was about to ask you something , but at that moment the little caravan rounds the corner. It is just one wagon, one two-wheeled cart and a carriage similar to your own but fully enclosed. There are half a dozen men in the group, and something about their simple attire and the way they hold themselves suggests a religious order... even if they seem to be more of the work-a-day sort than most priests do.

They approach from in front of you, and to the annoyance of Raimius they come around to the opposite side of the carriage from where he is ... to the side where you are sitting. Raimius kicks his horse and intercepts them just as the lead cart comes abreast of where you are sitting.
They barely look at you, it is the wounded man that has their attention... but they look disappointed when they see his face. The man closest to you is a little chubby, and his hair looks as if it was cut with a Gardener's sheers. He looks sad, and frightened also.
"So, its true then, the-"
Raimius snaps his fingers in the man's face to interrupt him, and nods towards you.
"... Oh." This monkish-looking fellow nods at the Inn. "Her father, he is dead, then?"
Raimius nods coldly.
"Was it... accidental?"
"No."
"The Keidran?"
"No."

Raimius was saying his 'no's in a perfectly deadpan way, but the Monk's reaction is memorable. You may have heard rough men refer to something called "the pucker factor". Right now, the Monk does not just look frightened, its as if he just realized that he has half a lemon in his mouth... and no idea where to spit.
And then he looks at you, giving you some thought for the first time. "Who...?"

Raimius gives you an apologetic smile. "Brother Abner, this is Sylvi. Your people and she have much in common, you being healers and all. She found this man... we still have no idea who he is, her included. She found him-" He shakes his head, and backs his horse up a step. "As for the rest, you can ask her yourself, her Common Tongue is very good."

-George Bernard Shaw

The Rookie
Grand Templar

#29 Post by The Rookie »

Phaing wrote:"What I mean is that our luck has been rather poor of late. I am sorry miss, but I fear that now that you are with us, your's may suffer as well." He exchanges a significant look with Rita.
Sylvi kind of gave a sad smile to the pair, her ears folding back a little. "I'm sure we'll be fine, Sir. It's not as if my lucks been great the last few hours anyway."
Phaing wrote:"If you find out too much , you may lose your freedom to come and go as you please."
At those words Sylvi knew better than to press the issue. 'What have I gotten myself into?' she thought to herself. Contemplating whether she should disappear into the town and leave these strange folk and the knight to their own business.
Phaing wrote:"Thank you for the wonderful company! Its been days since I had anyone female to talk to."
"The pleasure has been mine, Rita. I hope we can meet up again someday." Sylvi said with a smile, waving the young girl off.
Phaing wrote:Raimius gives you an apologetic smile. "Brother Abner, this is Sylvi. Your people and she have much in common, you being healers and all. She found this man... we still have no idea who he is, her included. She found him-" He shakes his head, and backs his horse up a step. "As for the rest, you can ask her yourself, her Common Tongue is very good."
Sylvi stood up in the back to the carriage, jumping down to meet the monks. Standing up tall and towering over most of them with her sheer size. "Hello, mister Abner." Sylvi said trying to sound formal. "I'd love the answer any questions you may have, but I please have a moment to speak with Mr Raimius alone?" She said, maintaining her forced authoritarian posture, hoping she wasn't letting on that what she was truly thinking and feeling. "It will only take a minute, I assure you."

Phaing
Master

#30 Post by Phaing »

The Rookie wrote:Sylvi stood up in the back to the carriage, jumping down to meet the monks. Standing up tall and towering over most of them with her sheer size. "Hello, mister Abner." Sylvi said trying to sound formal. "I'd love the answer any questions you may have, but I please have a moment to speak with Mr Raimius alone?" She said, maintaining her forced authoritarian posture, hoping she wasn't letting on that what she was truly thinking and feeling. "It will only take a minute, I assure you."
The gesture would have been more impressive if Sylvi had not landed in ankle-deep mud. However, since she is a woman, these men all feel compelled to dismount as well. Not a single one of them is as tall as she is, not even Raimius. He nods to you and says to the monks; "If you will excuse me?"

Abner tugs at his sleeve. "What we need now is the Exorcist."

"Of course, but to defend, or for vengeance?"
He will take a few steps with Sylvi in whatever direction, up to the clapboard sidewalk might be best. "The monks will take in your patient, if that is what you are worried about."

-George Bernard Shaw