The Daily Beasts

Play around with roles and whatnot in here, I suppose.

Moderator: Moderators

The Rookie
Grand Templar

Re: The Daily Beasts (open)

#886 Post by The Rookie »

DarkTheImmortal wrote:"What? I don't work here." After taking a moment to make sure no one was around, she spoke in a hushed voice, and in Keidran, just to be triple sure. "<We kind of have a cover story going on. I think you should go talk to Raimius to make sure you know everything. Also, good to see you awake again.>"
"<Oh... It's you... Hello...>" Sylvi says looking back for a grand total of three seconds before pulling things out of the cupboards again. "<Raimius is asleep... Talk later... Also please stop screaming... I'm right over here...>" This is the first time she's uttered a smile all morning, but it's short lived once Ana disappears.
Phaing wrote:The maid that was under the stairs emerges, buckling her belt and absolutely flummoxed by the words coming from Sylvi, until it dawns on her;
"Milk?... oh [censored] , the Cow!" and without another thought she runs right out of the building to take care of some forgotten chore.
Sylvi hunches over grasping her ears and baring her teeth. The maid's shouting like nails of a chalk board. "Uuuurrgghhh.... <Shut up!>" she shouts before immediately regretting making such a loud sound herself. Stepping backwards, she bangs into the bench behind her with a solid thud before slowly sliding to the ground.

Her own voice still painfully ringing in her ears, Sylv just curls up into a ball lent against the wall; not wanting to deal with any of this anymore. It's starting to look like she's just going to have to ride it out until she's well enough to head to the kitchen on her own two feet
Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Phaing
Master

#887 Post by Phaing »

/// Two things- I'm bored, lets get this moving and wrap up this morning, I have stuff I want to do.
Tycho went back upstairs, and Anna seems to be headed that way, and blah.
ALSO - I don't want to wait for everyone to post before I respond, and I guess you feel the same way.
So, from now on, don't worry about posting order.... or get back to me if you don't like that idea.
ONWARD! ///

For Sylvi, it is only going to get worse as the place comes to life. Without music and other covering noises, you can really hear people walking around overhead, and pots & pans rattling around.
At least the Milk arrives... still warm and frothy as it just came from that Cow.

... methinks that it will be a very long time before Sylvi drinks like that again.

(and that is about all I can do before I get more reactions from the rest)
"If you’re going to tell people the truth, you'd better make them laugh; otherwise, they will kill you."

-George Bernard Shaw

DarkTheImmortal
Overlord of Space & Time
Location: Somewhere between life, death, and a grilled cheese sandwich.

#888 Post by DarkTheImmortal »

Phaing wrote: I am about to do something drastic and tell everyone that they don't have to wait for everyone else anymore.
Its that slow now.
(I was acually planning on posting something tonight, regardless of who has already. Sorry to Tycho if he has something planned, but as Phaing said he is upstairs)

Phaing wrote:Annaria can slip into the Kitchen through a side-passage without even seeing that, and 3 women are working at getting breakfast for two dozen people ready. One of them smiles and nods at Annarinda, but before she can say anything, there is that roar from the common room, and one of them nearly drops a platter that she has just put together.
And then all 3 of them look at you....
She looks towards the source of the roar, and quickly back to the women, her expression going from curious to shocked when she sees the looks on the women. "I didn't do anything, I was in here with you, ordering the coffee for my... master." She paused almost too suspiciously, not knowing exactly what to call Tycho with their cover story.

#889 Post by 2561642 »

[[I don't mind you guys going ahead without me at all. I hate taking so long, but sometimes when I find the time to log on I just can't think of anything to write. I've left the page open in the background for entire days before, periodically coming back to it and being no less blank. You guys deserve better than this, I'm sorry.]]
Phaing wrote:Right after Tycho leaves, the owner of this place plops down at the table reading an invoice, and attempts to drink from an empty glass.
"WHO IN THE HELLS ATE MY BREAKFAST!"
Heh heh.... Tycho got a freebie, and nobody saw him do it.
It may be best to let this one slide; this is a matronly woman of about 40, 6 feet tall and about 200 pounds... and an awful lot of that is muscle.
The last thing Tycho wants is an angry confrontation right now, so he lays off on the heavy footfalls bit and wordlessly walks to his room.

He opens up his Catalogue, and the act of doing so gives him an idea. He's supposed to be some sort of threatening, powerful person, right? Well, why not see if he can magically enhance the foreboding aura that he's faked successfully so far. He immediately sets to work with his quill, flipping rapidly between older enchantments in the Catalogue written by it's previous owners, and a quickly filling page of new runes and sigils.

He settles on a very subtle fear enchantment - so subtle that it barely even qualifies as a fear enchantment at all. All it will really do is make people around (minus Raimius, he assumes) him slightly more uncomfortable and on-edge - perfect for bluffing power. But what item of his will this enchantment be applied to? After careful consideration, he settles on his cloth mask. The effects of the enchantment will be even more subtle when the mask is stowed, but still noticeable, giving him some more control over the (albeit small) effect.

The only problem now is discerning the correct ingredients. Perhaps tears shed in fear? Those can be quite magically potent, especially when from someone young. Or maybe sweat shed in fear or nervousness? Probably not quite as effective, but it won't need to be for his purposes. He gets a thoughtful look and glances at the door. Perhaps the source of these ingredients might be on it's way already, hopefully with some sort of beverage in tow....

The Rookie
Grand Templar

#890 Post by The Rookie »

Phaing wrote:For Sylvi, it is only going to get worse as the place comes to life. Without music and other covering noises, you can really hear people walking around overhead, and pots & pans rattling around.
At least the Milk arrives... still warm and frothy as it just came from that Cow.
When it finally does arrive, Sylvi doesn't so much as ask for the milk as she does forcefully take it while seeming grateful. She utters a quick thank you before wondering over to the bar with milk and vodka in hand.

Sadly, it's not the special Keidran kind she was hoping for for a quick pick-me-up, but it's a start. "White... Russian... (Named after Ivan Russian, a human explorer who spent several years in the frozen North amongst the keidran tribes.) Hair of the wolf that bit me..." she mumbles out before downing the the mug in her hands; her face screwing up as if the milk had gone foul.

She slams the mug down on the bench, letting out a strange whimpering growl sound. Turning back to the maid it clear she's still in a lot of discomfort.

"Can you... Find... Skullcaps... St John's wart... And.... Ginger.... For me... Please... There's... Gold in it for you.... Thank you..." She mumbles and mutters through deep breathing and sighs. "Oh!-Ow... Ow... Can you... Kitchen... Order omelette... Extra bacon... More gold... Plus tips... I rest here..."

//Not super worried if you want to skip this. She'll be moping in the relatively quite bar nursing a headache for a few hours unless someone tries to interact with her. In which case, she'll assume that the same cover was in place as before. Raimius and her are newly weds, Rita is their daughter and the others are family friends.//

Phaing
Master

#891 Post by Phaing »

Ah, now that I have you all here-
DarkTheImmortal wrote: She looks towards the source of the roar, and quickly back to the women, her expression going from curious to shocked when she sees the looks on the women. "I didn't do anything, I was in here with you, ordering the coffee for my... master." She paused almost too suspiciously, not knowing exactly what to call Tycho with their cover story.
That pause allows you to be caught. Surprisingly mobile for a barrel-shapped tub of guts, the Innkeeper grabs you by the wrist. "A slave, eh? Thought so , call for your master NOW. Get that fop in here and get this straightened out, sing you little fleabag!"
And she twists your wrist, to make certain the point has been made.

2561642 wrote:The only problem now is discerning the correct ingredients. Perhaps tears shed in fear? Those can be quite magically potent, especially when from someone young. Or maybe sweat shed in fear or nervousness? Probably not quite as effective, but it won't need to be for his purposes. He gets a thoughtful look and glances at the door. Perhaps the source of these ingredients might be on it's way already, hopefully with some sort of beverage in tow....
No such luck, yet.
And.... tears? What about a weapon, most people fear those. Or maybe an drawing from something else...

Meanwhile, down below-

"What is the meaning of this?" It is a soft, self-assured voice, but not a weak one coming from the doorway as a trio of men walk in. "I was rather hoping that things would be soooo much quieter here, at this hour."

This man is wearing immaculate white robes with a symbol in blue on the chest, a circle with a double-cross running through it. Clean shaven and blond, he has a younger look to him than his bearing and manners would indicate. Flanked by two (Templars always seem to need a pair of flunkies... a fashion-statement? ) Mercenaries with clubs and chains, he strolls in and nods to the Innkeeper.

"A party arrived at the docks last night and were last seen heading into this establishment. Would this (he nods at Annaria) be one of them?"

The Innkeeper blinks and stammers. She was sound asleep by late afternoon yesterday, she has no idea what the Templar is talking about.
The Rookie wrote: "Can you... Find... Skullcaps... St John's wart... And.... Ginger.... For me... Please... There's... Gold in it for you.... Thank you..." She mumbles and mutters through deep breathing and sighs. "Oh!-Ow... Ow... Can you... Kitchen... Order omelette... Extra bacon... More gold... Plus tips... I rest here..."
Fresh whole milk has many interesting properties, it could make for a good healing potion in itself with a little manna, but only when fresh. It would never travel very well.

"Breakfast will be ready for everyone in a quarter hour, no less!" The maid finds her nerve at last and reaches into the cupboard where the wine is, and plunks a blood-red bottle down in front of you. "Just make sure there is a bucket nearby."
This is called a Vampire, and is a last-ditch remedy for hangovers. If taken while drinking, it works nicely. If taken after, it will purge the poisons.... but it will happen suddenly and violently.

The maid is about to flounce off when the scene in the main room starts to unfold. She peers around the corner and squeaks softly. "Templars!" The man speaks, and she looks back at Sylvi... eyes glittering as she imagines the coin that is about to come her way. ".... you-"
"If you’re going to tell people the truth, you'd better make them laugh; otherwise, they will kill you."

-George Bernard Shaw

The Rookie
Grand Templar

#892 Post by The Rookie »

Phaing wrote:Fresh whole milk has many interesting properties, it could make for a good healing potion in itself with a little manna, but only when fresh. It would never travel very well.
Having left her stones, coin and pretty much everything except Raimius' clothes, there's not much she can do other than drink the milk as it is. Not that that's a bad thing.
Phaing wrote:"Breakfast will be ready for everyone in a quarter hour, no less!" The maid finds her nerve at last and reaches into the cupboard where the wine is, and plunks a blood-red bottle down in front of you. "Just make sure there is a bucket nearby."
This is called a Vampire, and is a last-ditch remedy for hangovers. If taken while drinking, it works nicely. If taken after, it will purge the poisons.... but it will happen suddenly and violently.
Sylvi holds the bottle in both hands. Her eyes straining to read the label.

"Ugh... Red wine... I hate read wine... Stains the fur..." she grumbles before letting out a reluctant sigh and uncorking the bottle. "But if it helps..."

She's just about to press the rim of the bottle to her lips when suddenly she's irrupted by the events that followed.
Phaing wrote:The maid is about to flounce off when the scene in the main room starts to unfold. She peers around the corner and squeaks softly. "Templars!" The man speaks, and she looks back at Sylvi... eyes glittering as she imagines the coin that is about to come her way. ".... you-"
"<[censored] this morning...>" Sylvi grumbles, forcing down a mouthful of the Vampire as quickly as she could; some spilling down the sides of her mouth leaving long red trickle marks on either side of her bottom jaw.

She stands, knocking the stool to the ground as she makes it to her feet. She has little time before the effects of the Vampire take a hold on her stomach, but there's certain threats that need to be addressed.

She judges the maid's expression to mean she was considering selling her out to the Templar for coin, which could be a very serious concern. "Don't. " Sylvi grunts, as the imposing 6' 4'' she beast walks toward the young human girl.

"I'm in a really really bad mood, so I'll be brief." although she's speaking in human, her voice sits at the gender neutral (Leaning on male) pitch that is common for Kiedran speech. "If you do something stupid I can grantee you'll never see another coin so long as you live." Sylv delivers her threat calmly, yet firmly.

Whether or not she could to physically bring herself to do more than scare the poor girl was hard to say, but she has to keep her quiet somehow. "Now close that door. Bring me a bucket. Stay quiet, and everything will be fine. Understood?"

DarkTheImmortal
Overlord of Space & Time

#893 Post by DarkTheImmortal »

Phaing wrote:That pause allows you to be caught. Surprisingly mobile for a barrel-shapped tub of guts, the Innkeeper grabs you by the wrist. "A slave, eh? Thought so , call for your master NOW. Get that fop in here and get this straightened out, sing you little fleabag!"
And she twists your wrist, to make certain the point has been made.
"Ow" She said, pulling her wrist out of the woman's grasp. "I may be one, but most people don't like their things being touched by others. I will go get him, but he will also hear of this." She realized a little too late being even that aggressive was a little suspicious, but too late to turn back.
Phaing wrote:"What is the meaning of this?" It is a soft, self-assured voice, but not a weak one coming from the doorway as a trio of men walk in. "I was rather hoping that things would be soooo much quieter here, at this hour."

This man is wearing immaculate white robes with a symbol in blue on the chest, a circle with a double-cross running through it. Clean shaven and blond, he has a younger look to him than his bearing and manners would indicate. Flanked by two (Templars always seem to need a pair of flunkies... a fashion-statement? ) Mercenaries with clubs and chains, he strolls in and nods to the Innkeeper.

"A party arrived at the docks last night and were last seen heading into this establishment. Would this (he nods at Annaria) be one of them?"

The Innkeeper blinks and stammers. She was sound asleep by late afternoon yesterday, she has no idea what the Templar is talking about.
Every swear in the keidran language was rushing through her head at the sight of the Templar, but kept her look the same way as it was confronting the innkeeper. Whipping up a quick story, she said: "My master, his party and I" Putting emphasis on master to note she was 'owned' "did come last night, sir, but not from the docks. We hitched a ride from someone with a carriage who was heading the way we were, but only took us this far. Now, if you'll excuse me, I must attend to business with my master of events that occurred just before you arrived." She started heading towards the stairs.

(Leaving it at that note in case any of the NPCs want to intervene.)

Phaing
Master

#894 Post by Phaing »

DarkTheImmortal wrote: Every swear in the keidran language was rushing through her head at the sight of the Templar, but kept her look the same way as it was confronting the innkeeper. Whipping up a quick story, she said: "My master, his party and I" Putting emphasis on master to note she was 'owned' "did come last night, sir, but not from the docks. We hitched a ride from someone with a carriage who was heading the way we were, but only took us this far. Now, if you'll excuse me, I must attend to business with my master of events that occurred just before you arrived." She started heading towards the stairs.
The Innkeepers is too stunned to hold on, and the Templar is a bit amazed at her vocabulary. annarinda is able to get away, but that isn't going to help very much.

"By all means, lead the way." The Templar purrs, and follows her up the stairs with an indulgent smirk on his face. His brace of thus are right behind him.

Intervention? Heh...
The Rookie wrote:
Phaing wrote:Whether or not she could to physically bring herself to do more than scare the poor girl was hard to say, but she has to keep her quiet somehow. "Now close that door. Bring me a bucket. Stay quiet, and everything will be fine. Understood?"
Um... that stuff was supposed to be taken by the shot-glass, not the gulp! About 1/3rd of it is pepper sauce and....

Have you ever heard of projectile vomit?
There really is no way to avoid it, it is too sudden and you are too close. The poor little maid is covered with it, her bodice is even so loaded up that for the first time in her life she does not seem so flat-chested. There can be no question of her going out into the common room like this, she forgets everything and breaks away, half blinded, and dashes out back to where the horse-troughs are. There may be enough water in those... huh, lots of cursing girls about this morning, eh?

As for Sylv, it is far from pleasant, but at least her head is clear and she can be called reasonably alert. But, by the time she can peak out of the doorway, the Templar is halfway up the stairs with nothing to stop him but Annaria's tail.

-George Bernard Shaw

coolbreeze88

#895 Post by coolbreeze88 »

(( I really don't know when would be the appropriate window for my OC to drop in, still waiting for your signal))

#896 Post by 2561642 »

[[Tycho's still going to be obliviously working in his Catalogue and trying to keep himself occupied when/if the templar and Anaraia get to the room, so I'll just until that happens, if that's alright.]]

The Rookie
Grand Templar

#897 Post by The Rookie »

Phaing wrote:Um... that stuff was supposed to be taken by the shot-glass, not the gulp! About 1/3rd of it is pepper sauce and...
Oh no...
Phaing wrote:There really is no way to avoid it, it is too sudden and you are too close. The poor little maid is covered with it, her bodice is even so loaded up that for the first time in her life she does not seem so flat-chested. There can be no question of her going out into the common room like this, she forgets everything and breaks away, half blinded, and dashes out back to where the horse-troughs are. There may be enough water in those... huh, lots of cursing girls about this morning, eh?

As for Sylv, it is far from pleasant, but at least her head is clear and she can be called reasonably alert. But, by the time she can peak out of the doorway, the Templar is halfway up the stairs with nothing to stop him but Annaria's tail.
Sylvi was almost as shocked as the poor maid was. Standing there utterly speechless after realising what she'd done.

She tries to reach out an apologise to the maid as she runs out of the room, but it was no use.

Once the maid disappears out the doorway, Sylvi begins to realise how she'd just lost the only incentive she had over the maid to keep her from running straight to her Templar buddies. "<Crap crap crap crap! She's going to tell everyone I'm here.>" she cries out in a a panic, tugging at her ears with a wide eyed expression of fear. Truthfully she'd done nothing wrong, but it's not like that'd stop the authorities from doing what ever they'd want with her. She's unarmed and no one knows where she is, with the exception of Ana who's also tied up with the Templar as it is.

That's when Sylvi remembers Ana was supposed to be keeping Rita company. Since she wasn't in Raimius' room when she woke up, she'd either be with Tycho, which is unlikely, or completely by herself.

Worried for the girl's safety, Sylvi grabs a full bottle of scotch from the shelving (The kind that's made with extra thick glass); not to drink, but to use as a make shift club should she need it.

Sylvi slowly creeps out from the bar area, bottle in hand, but made to seem like she's carrying it to be presented to someone. Trying to trace her steps back to her room, she catches a quick glimpse of Ana leading a man in white robes up the stairway. "A Templar... An actual Templar... " she mutter to herself, never having seen one in the flesh.

She has to wait for the pair to disappear up the stairs before she can attempt to follow behind.

DarkTheImmortal
Overlord of Space & Time

#898 Post by DarkTheImmortal »

Phaing wrote:"By all means, lead the way." The Templar purrs, and follows her up the stairs with an indulgent smirk on his face. His brace of thus are right behind him.
She slows her pace slightly, but doesn't stop. "I don't think it's wise. He's very protective of his privacy, especially when we're transporting items of value, even more with a stranger who could potentially use magic. Protection of assets you know? He is a business man after all. You can still follow, but consider yourself warned."

When she gets to the top of the stairs, She will lead them away from where the rooms they're using are (if there are multiple ways to go); if there's only one way, either past the rooms or not even reaching them, depending on where they are. Her hand is close to the pocket where she keeps her dagger, but not close enough to be suspicious.

(I want to see what Sylvi will do)

Phaing
Master

#899 Post by Phaing »

DarkTheImmortal wrote:...

(I want to see what Sylvi will do)
//Ah.... okay, me too, and lets give Tycho a chance. You are going to have to walk right by his room anyway, unless you are going to walk along the railed overhang and up the stairs to the 3rd floor. //

-George Bernard Shaw

#900 Post by 2561642 »

After mulling over one outlandish enchantment after another, each more absurd than the last, he decides to stop when he briefly considers trying to find thousands of spiders to crush into paste for a more powerful fear enchantment. He'd probably be afraid of himself by that point. At first, it's surprising to him how easily he's become bored, given that he'd usually be enjoying some silent time alone.

But then he realizes his restlessness might not be from boredom. He'd been too busy focusing on pretending to be menacing to notice the increase in magical energy, but it's unmistakable now. There's a mage nearby - no, probably in this very building.

"Damn.... It's been so long since that sense has tripped up that I almost forgot what it felt like." This could get dangerous fast, depending on the affiliation of this mage. Tycho doesn't want to assume the worst, but he feels he has no choice. Time to call on someone who seems to be an increasingly useful ally.

Naturally, this means immediately bursting out of his room to make a beeline to the one where Raimius must still be. If there's anyone that can keep this new mage on a level playing field, it's him - and Tycho figures it's about time for him to wake up anyway.

The possibility of running into the mage on the way seems to have escaped Tycho's considerations.