The Daily Beasts

Play around with roles and whatnot in here, I suppose.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: The Daily Beasts (open)

#916 Post by 2561642 »

[[Everything is weird and on the wrong side.... I miss the old theme. (;_;) ]]
The Rookie wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:10 am"I mean, I could freeze it shut, but then we've got no way out." Sylvi says as she fiddles with clothing and such, growing increasingly frustrated with their predicament. "We could be safe, but there's nothing stopping them from getting Rita or Ana while we're in here. We'd be leaving them to die."
"Fair point.", he concedes, watching the edges of the door for any hint of shadows or strange lights coming from outside. He's still standing like he's going to slash at the door at any moment.
Phaing wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:50 pmHe wraps some of that around his hips, even putting his sword down at a time like this is better than scandalizing the young girls in the building. However -

"No, we aren't waiting for THEM to make a move... where did you get all that stuff?" And to Sylvi; "Your spear is back there too. And don't worry about the cold, we aren't leaving just yet. We are taking over this establishment." He grins at them both.
"Nobody has had breakfast yet, have they? The Stagecoach does not leave until after breakfast. All we have to do is-"

At that moment, some kind of green gas starts to seep under the door.
The Rookie wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:10 am"Urghh... What's that?" She asked, pointing towards the smoke.
"Looks like we ended up waiting for their move anyway, Raimius. Sylvi I highly recommend sealing the edges of the door with your ice. Can you do it in a thin layer, enough to buy us some time and block the gas, but not so much that we can't get out?" He says this with some urgency as he backs away from the door even further. "Unless the Templar wants to become public enemy number one in Salma, I think it's okay to assume whatever that is is nonlethal, and our mage friend didn't just murder everyone in the inn, so I'm thinking some sort of vaporous sedative. But where would he store all the gas? Does he have stockpiles stored in every inn just for this purpo-... no! Maybe he summoned it!" Tycho starts lowering his sword as he continues vocalizing his rambling train of thought.

Then a thought breaks him out of one rambling over analysis and into another. "But what about him and his thugs? He obviously isn't going to gas himself...." he starts mumbling to himself, hand at his chin, his sword now pointing directly at the ground.

Phaing
Master

#917 Post by Phaing »

The Rookie wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:10 am"Urghh... What's that?" She asked, pointing towards the smoke.
"That means a pro is out there!" He grabs a sheet and goes straight to the door, and away from Sylvi ... Tycho too. Raimius puts the balled-up sheet along the floor and his own body against the door. "Here's hoping I can resist this...."
DarkTheImmortal wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:12 am... She tries to pull her shirt over her muzzle in time (as you should never trust any gas, let alone green), but not doing it quite fast enough as she starts giggling, and given the circumstances tries to contain it but can't help letting one out every now and then. She tries to bolt out the door quickly, pushing on the thug's face (I hope he's shot enough for a 5'3" fox to push in the face) with one hand and trying to pull off his mask in the process, and her other hand keeping her shirt over her face to lessen the exposure to the gas....
Well, you can try things like that, but if the guy is looking at you and ready for it, it may not work so well.
This Thug whips a chain out to deflect Annaria... and a comedy of errors ensues. He fails to hit, Annaria's dodge makes her trip and roll into the doorframe, and you wind up on the floor. When the Fox looks up she sees the Thug hasn't followed up ... he is still standing there, staring at the sword that was just run right through his chest and through the door behind him. The Noblemen is gone, through the open window you can hear his parting laugh.
The one intruder that could have identified him in this place is dead, and the Nobleman's wife will never hear about this.
2561642 wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:16 am Then a thought breaks him out of one rambling over analysis and into another. "But what about him and his thugs? He obviously isn't going to gas himself...." he starts mumbling to himself, hand at his chin, his sword now pointing directly at the ground.
"A little less talk and a lot more action, okay pal?" And to Sylvi; Warn me before you ice anything up, okay?"
And then, incongruously, he holds his finger to his lip, asking for silence. Those heavy footsteps are right outside the door.
"If you’re going to tell people the truth, you'd better make them laugh; otherwise, they will kill you."

-George Bernard Shaw

The Rookie
Grand Templar

#918 Post by The Rookie »

2561642 wrote:"Looks like we ended up waiting for their move anyway, Raimius. Sylvi I highly recommend sealing the edges of the door with your ice. Can you do it in a thin layer, enough to buy us some time and block the gas-"
Sylvi lets out an irritated groan/growl before rushing to the other side of the room where her spear had been kept. She test to see if the spear would function with Raimius as close as he is by 'activating' the spear with a tiny mana burst. Just enough to cause a flash of blue from the spear head and beads. //Phaing, I'll leave that for you to decide.//
Phaing wrote:"That means a pro is out there!" He grabs a sheet and goes straight to the door, and away from Sylvi ... Tycho too. Raimius puts the balled-up sheet along the floor and his own body against the door. "Here's hoping I can resist this...."

"A little less talk and a lot more action, okay pal?" And to Sylvi; Warn me before you ice anything up, okay?"
And then, incongruously, he holds his finger to his lip, asking for silence. Those heavy footsteps are right outside the door.
Sylvi stands ready, her eyes flicking between Raimius and the gas every few seconds; mana coursing between the center of her palm and the head of the spear held in her other hand; prepared to ice up the gaps in the door as soon as the order was given.
Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

DarkTheImmortal
Overlord of Space & Time
Location: Somewhere between life, death, and a grilled cheese sandwich.

#919 Post by DarkTheImmortal »

(This is going to be slightly shorter than my normal posts as there are many variables right now that I need to consider that may have change)
Phaing wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:10 pmWell, you can try things like that, but if the guy is looking at you and ready for it, it may not work so well.
This Thug whips a chain out to deflect Annaria... and a comedy of errors ensues. He fails to hit, Annaria's dodge makes her trip and roll into the doorframe, and you wind up on the floor. When the Fox looks up she sees the Thug hasn't followed up ... he is still standing there, staring at the sword that was just run right through his chest and through the door behind him. The Noblemen is gone, through the open window you can hear his parting laugh.
The one intruder that could have identified him in this place is dead, and the Nobleman's wife will never hear about this.
Well, that made things slightly easier.

Anaraia quickly gets up, rubbing her head with her free hand where she hit the door frame. Now that the thug is incapacitated, she continues on her escape into the hall, sprinting in the direction of their rooms. She pulls out her dagger with her right hand (while using her left to keep her shirt over her snout) in case she runs into the templars. She means business this time.

#920 Post by 2561642 »

Phaing wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:10 pm
"That means a pro is out there!" He grabs a sheet and goes straight to the door, and away from Sylvi ... Tycho too. Raimius puts the balled-up sheet along the floor and his own body against the door. "Here's hoping I can resist this...."
"A pro?" The phrasing piques Tycho's interest. Dropping to a whisper, he inquires, "Raimius, have you seen this bef-..."
Phaing wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:10 pm"A little less talk and a lot more action, okay pal?" And to Sylvi; Warn me before you ice anything up, okay?"
Tycho is a bit disappointed, but Raimius has a point. Raimius can't exactly see agreement the his face (and Tycho's hopeful that the mask might buy a couple more breaths worth of time if the gas can't be stopped, so he has no intentions to remove it), so Tycho nods quickly in agreement. He pulls his sword up again, as if he's about to duel the door itself, but from well over 6 feet away - got to make sure his magic isn't cancelled out by whatever Raimius... is. He looks rather silly, but there's not much else he can think of doing at this point.

He can ask questions about what Raimius knows about the 'pros' later. Right now, the important thing is staying quiet, and paying close attention to the experiment Raimius happens to be performing: determining whether the hostile flatulence is magical or not.

Phaing
Master

#921 Post by Phaing »

The Rookie wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:21 am Sylvi stands ready, her eyes flicking between Raimius and the gas every few seconds; mana coursing between the center of her palm and the head of the spear held in her other hand; prepared to ice up the gaps in the door as soon as the order was given.
She gets that manna (this room isn't a closet, you do have elbow room!) and there is another strange thing; the bits of gas that seep in are crumbling in mid-air. Yes, crumbling, contracting into specks of dust and falling to the floor, with an audible sound at one point.
However, it is not certain what tipped him off, but the Templar says; "Careful! Someone is using magic in there!"
"Oh, really?" Says the thug, and two long blades punch through the door, one missing Raimius's ear by about an inch. "How about now?"
DarkTheImmortal wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:22 am Anaraia quickly gets up, rubbing her head with her free hand where she hit the door frame. Now that the thug is incapacitated, she continues on her escape into the hall, sprinting in the direction of their rooms. She pulls out her dagger with her right hand (while using her left to keep her shirt over her snout) in case she runs into the templars. She means business this time.
I'm sorry, but the gas is really getting to you now, Annaria would have to wrap her hand around her snout to keep from busting out laughing, and now dizziness starts to set in.
// I will rule that Foxes are unusually resistant to this gas, or maybe just her. However, the dice are not liking you at all right now, twice over in fact.//
Annaria is just making it out of the room when there is a scream right behind you. That Harlot wasn't unconscious, and she comes into the room you just left ... and cuts loose with a scream when she sees the dead Thug and your tail leaving and the green gas and she draws in a deep breath for another scream.... and some are more susceptible than others, one would suppose. "Damn... dirty... doooogs..." and she does a face-plant on the floor worthy of Flynn Rider himself.

From around the corner, the Templar says; "What is going on down there?" And the Templar takes a step back, so that he can peer around the corner that is 20 feet from where Annaria is now.
Remember; on one side is the wall, and on the other side is the railing.

2561642 wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:42 am He can ask questions about what Raimius knows about the 'pros' later. Right now, the important thing is staying quiet, and paying close attention to the experiment Raimius happens to be performing: determining whether the hostile flatulence is magical or not.
Raimius flinches away from the door by reflex, and the blades are being pulled out. No more gas is coming in, and the blade near the hinges is coming out clean, but the one near the doorknob (and where Raimius was) is a bit sticky.
You did hear that scream, coming from another part of the Inn, but the rest of the place seems very quiet. Aside from the clatter of a dropped pan way down there in the Kitchens, there is nothing.
No, you didn't hear the Templar calling out to the other Thug.

Sorry I got called away, it wasn't even a very good trip for me. I will be checking back all weekend to make up for lost time.
"If you’re going to tell people the truth, you'd better make them laugh; otherwise, they will kill you."

-George Bernard Shaw

The Rookie
Grand Templar

#922 Post by The Rookie »

Phaing wrote:She gets that manna (this room isn't a closet, you do have elbow room!) and there is another strange thing; the bits of gas that seep in are crumbling in mid-air. Yes, crumbling, contracting into specks of dust and falling to the floor, with an audible sound at one point.
It's certainly an odd sight to behold for sure, but no time to waste making any study notes.
Phaing wrote:However, it is not certain what tipped him off, but the Templar says; "Careful! Someone is using magic in there!"
"Oh, really?" Says the thug, and two long blades punch through the door, one missing Raimius's ear by about an inch. "How about now?"
As the blade pierces the wooden door; Sylvi let's out a stuttered gasp in shock, just before clenching her teeth in fury. "Move. Now!" she orders; instructing both men to step aside immediately.

As the shewolf's eyes glace over with an almost blinding cyan blue; small streaks of frost begin to grow upon the ground in a small circular fashion from where she stood, not unlike a wild flower. She pulls her spear back and quickly lunges forward with her whole body as if she intended to strike a foe before her, letting out something of a war cry as she leaps through the air.

As the spear seems like it was going to harmlessly pass through the air; there's a bright spark that flashes as two sharpened icicles (30cm long 8cm wide) appear from the spear head and are fired across the room at tremendous speed toward the blade still stuck within the thin wooden door.

#923 Post by 2561642 »

The Rookie wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:07 am
Phaing wrote:She gets that manna (this room isn't a closet, you do have elbow room!) and there is another strange thing; the bits of gas that seep in are crumbling in mid-air. Yes, crumbling, contracting into specks of dust and falling to the floor, with an audible sound at one point.
It's certainly an odd sight to behold for sure, but no time to waste making any study notes.
Naturally, this means Tycho will be making study notes - verbally. "A substance left behind...," he muses quietly to himself. "That probably means it started as some substrate, perhaps an activatable enchanted crystal of some sort. If we can find the source and destroy it, the rest of the gas should lose it's magical properties... I think."

"That also likely means that whatever protection they're using for themselves is enchantment-based. Mechanical filtration isn't terribly effective at blocking magical reagents."
The Rookie wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:07 am
Phaing wrote:However, it is not certain what tipped him off, but the Templar says; "Careful! Someone is using magic in there!"
As the blade pierces the wooden door; Sylvi let's out a stuttered gasp in shock, just before clenching her teeth in fury. "Move. Now!" she orders; instructing both men to step aside immediately.

As the shewolf's eyes glace over with an almost blinding cyan blue; small streaks of frost begin to grow upon the ground in a small circular fashion from where she stood, not unlike a wild flower. She pulls her spear back and quickly lunges forward with her whole body as if she intended to strike a foe before her, letting out something of a war cry as she leaps through the air.

As the spear seems like it was going to harmlessly pass through the air; there's a bright spark that flashes as two sharpened icicles (30cm long 8cm wide) appear from the spear head and are fired across the room at tremendous speed toward the blade still stuck within the thin wooden door.
Tycho is far enough away from the door that Sylvi's magic won't hit him, but he makes sure to move further from her line of fire regardless. He's still somewhat wary of the wall and giving both it and the door a wide berth. "Sylvi, what are you doing?!" He whispers through clenched teeth. "We don't need to add holes to the door!"

DarkTheImmortal
Overlord of Space & Time

#924 Post by DarkTheImmortal »

Phaing wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:09 pmI'm sorry, but the gas is really getting to you now, Annaria would have to wrap her hand around her snout to keep from busting out laughing, and now dizziness starts to set in.
// I will rule that Foxes are unusually resistant to this gas, or maybe just her. However, the dice are not liking you at all right now, twice over in fact.//
Annaria is just making it out of the room when there is a scream right behind you. That Harlot wasn't unconscious, and she comes into the room you just left ... and cuts loose with a scream when she sees the dead Thug and your tail leaving and the green gas and she draws in a deep breath for another scream.... and some are more susceptible than others, one would suppose. "Damn... dirty... doooogs..." and she does a face-plant on the floor worthy of Flynn Rider himself.

From around the corner, the Templar says; "What is going on down there?" And the Templar takes a step back, so that he can peer around the corner that is 20 feet from where Annaria is now.
Remember; on one side is the wall, and on the other side is the railing.
Well, in this state there's no being a hero like she planned.

(did a small edit. Something I wanted to put in but forgot when I first wrote this)

(laughing the whole time)
She ignores the woman as she has better things to do. Once she gets to it, she leans on the railing, giving up on holding her shirt over her snout. The only thing that will help her would be fresh air. And with the presence of the templar, there's only one way to go. She gives the templar the bird and leaps over the railing and into the first floor.
How bad could it be? that noble did it.
Spoiler!
Phaing wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:09 pm //the dice are not liking you at all right now, twice over in fact.//
I feel like Wil Wheaton. He has a show on a YouTube channel where he gets other stars and plays board games. He always gets terrible rolls.

Phaing
Master

#925 Post by Phaing »

The Rookie wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:07 am As the spear seems like it was going to harmlessly pass through the air; there's a bright spark that flashes as two sharpened icicles (30cm long 8cm wide) appear from the spear head and are fired across the room at tremendous speed toward the blade still stuck within the thin wooden door.
Raimius isn't happy about this, he has to get way out of the way to avoid interfering with her magic, let alone get clear of this path of destruction she has unleashed. Even worse, he will have to stay back while she fights or she will lose her magic at a crucial time.
He is also holding the wrong weapon, and has to dive for his other blades. Smaller ones, suitable for fighting in close quarters...
2561642 wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:59 pm Tycho is far enough away from the door that Sylvi's magic won't hit him, but he makes sure to move further from her line of fire regardless. He's still somewhat wary of the wall and giving both it and the door a wide berth. "Sylvi, what are you doing?!" He whispers through clenched teeth. "We don't need to add holes to the door!"
Holes?
There isn't much left of that door but a splintered outline of where it used to be.
Sylvi did managed to hit that Thug, but not a very good hit. A kitchen knife could have done as much damage, but between that and the destruction of the door he has to fall back... almost literally. He moves off to your right, away from the Templar, which may be a bad move or a good one, it all depends. He lost his grip on one of his short swords so he starts swinging a chain around over his head.

DarkTheImmortal wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:26 am (laughing the whole time)
She ignores the woman as she has better things to do. Once she gets to it, she leans on the railing, giving up on holding her shirt over her snout. The only thing that will help her would be fresh air. And with the presence of the templar, there's only one way to go. She gives the templar the bird and leaps over the railing and into the first floor.
How bad could it be? that noble did it.
He went out the window!
Okay, its official, y'all are nuts.

Well, the dice came around for you, you landed on the guy that just walked into the Inn, a coach driver. He does not go down! But with a curse and a roar, he throws you off of him into a couch. The couch tips over and dumps you onto the floor. Annaria rolls into the base of one of those huge glass-fronted cabinets that is used to show off all the china and silverware.
It slowly starts to topple over, towards you.

-George Bernard Shaw

The Rookie
Grand Templar

#926 Post by The Rookie »

Phaing wrote:There isn't much left of that door but a splintered outline of where it used to be.
Sylvi did managed to hit that Thug, but not a very good hit. A kitchen knife could have done as much damage, but between that and the destruction of the door he has to fall back... almost literally. He moves off to your right, away from the Templar, which may be a bad move or a good one, it all depends. He lost his grip on one of his short swords so he starts swinging a chain around over his head.
//Well... That wasn't ideal... //

The destruction of the door surprised even Sylvi. What was it made of? Paper? Still, it did offer one advantage, and that was seeing the threat head on, rather than speculation.

Sylvi stands in pain sight of the Templar, her eyes still buzzing with blue. She may also be mage, but her power source is nearly drained. Her little icicle spectacle had reduced her number of mana beads from 7 to 5.

Needless to say, she was worried about her role in the confrontation to come...

//Sorry, I'm not sure what else to do here for now.//

DarkTheImmortal
Overlord of Space & Time

#927 Post by DarkTheImmortal »

Phaing wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:08 amHe went out the window!
Ah, but jumping off the 2nd story is where I was going with that.

Phaing wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:08 amWell, the dice came around for you, you landed on the guy that just walked into the Inn, a coach driver. He does not go down! But with a curse and a roar, he throws you off of him into a couch. The couch tips over and dumps you onto the floor. Annaria rolls into the base of one of those huge glass-fronted cabinets that is used to show off all the china and silverware.
After being thrown, toppling over, and hitting yet another thing, she take a second to get her bearings. She has enough time to see the toppling cabinet, let out a terror squeak, and roll out of the way. Still trying to get out of the gas she makes a bolt to the door. when/if she makes it out, she will try to take long deep breaths to clear her lungs and try to clear her head so she can go back in and try to save/help the others.

#928 Post by 2561642 »

Phaing wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:08 am Holes?
There isn't much left of that door but a splintered outline of where it used to be.
Since it appears that any measures of subtlety are out of the question at this point Tycho decides to go on the offensive. That thug swinging the chain has something protecting him from the gas - and Tycho wants that something.

He turns to Raimius and motions towards the Templar with his blade, hoping that's enough to get his intentions across. Raimius would be more of a match for the source, so Tycho will go after one of the guards to make that easier. He takes a final deep breath of clean air, holds it, then runs and jumps through the hole where the door used to be, in the direction of the thug.

He then swings his sword deliberately into the path of the swinging chain, holding it's handle tightly and hoping the chain wraps around the blade.

Phaing
Master

#929 Post by Phaing »

The Rookie wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:14 am Needless to say, she was worried about her role in the confrontation to come...
Well, the Templar can make one of several assumptions at this point;
-Sylvi is the one banishing his Gas, to a certain extent
- his magic isn't working on them because he simply mis-cast his spell or something else that is his own fault
- he could leap to the conclusion that Raimius himself is here, without having actually seen or heard him yet.

Needless to say, a templar isn't likely to consider the middle one, and the last one is a bit of a stretch, so yeah, he blames Sylvi. or the fellow that comes out behind her and lunges at the Thug.
He casts his own spell, and Sylvi sees her mana stones go dark (this is temporary, but there is no immediate counter for it)

Oh, and Sylvi, since you moved out of Ramius's radius, you are about to get a snoot-full of that Gas. There is only about half a dozen paces separating the two of you.

2561642 wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:43 pm He turns to Raimius and motions towards the Templar with his blade, hoping that's enough to get his intentions across. Raimius would be more of a match for the source, so Tycho will go after one of the guards to make that easier. He takes a final deep breath of clean air, holds it, then runs and jumps through the hole where the door used to be, in the direction of the thug.

He then swings his sword deliberately into the path of the swinging chain, holding it's handle tightly and hoping the chain wraps around the blade.
Right, and since you are much closer to the door you naturally get through it first. The thug falls for it, but he does have that blade in his other hand. Oh, lucky you, he misses with that too. He must have been trying to slip his blade into a gap in your "armor". Instead, the tip passes through the empty space under your armpit, between your arm and the side of your torso.
Called shots are not easy to make.

A throwing star of some sort goes burring past his ear, and his surprised flinch causes him to lose his grip on his chain....

... and a 2nd one whirrs over Sylvi and scores a gash on the Templars arm. His eyes go wide, and stay that way as he looks past Sylvi at the mad who threw it.

DarkTheImmortal wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:49 pm
Phaing wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:08 amHe went out the window!
Ah, but jumping off the 2nd story is where I was going with that.
Really?
Oh, sorry, I had you placed near the railing, so I just assumed.... bad me.
DarkTheImmortal wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:49 pm
Phaing wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:08 amWell, the dice came around for you, you landed on the guy that just walked into the Inn, a coach driver. He does not go down! But with a curse and a roar, he throws you off of him into a couch. The couch tips over and dumps you onto the floor. Annaria rolls into the base of one of those huge glass-fronted cabinets that is used to show off all the china and silverware.
After being thrown, toppling over, and hitting yet another thing, she take a second to get her bearings. She has enough time to see the toppling cabinet, let out a terror squeak, and roll out of the way. Still trying to get out of the gas she makes a bolt to the door. when/if she makes it out, she will try to take long deep breaths to clear her lungs and try to clear her head so she can go back in and try to save/help the others.
Rolling puts your back up against the couch, but that does the job. Instead of crushing you, the tall cabinet topples over the couch, knocks the coachman halfway across the room, and hits the floor with a crash that makes even the Templar jump. Down there on the floor, you can still look around, even sheltered by the couch and the heavy furniture it is holding up over you. The funny thing is, half a dozen humans have walked in, and they don't seem very disturbed by all this. The chuckle, flop down onto chairs nearby, and are soon snoring.
Which seems like a wonderful idea, really. The trouble is, this spot you are in now is so very uncomfortable.

-George Bernard Shaw

#930 Post by 2561642 »

[[Couldn't sleep, figured I'd post.]]
Phaing wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:46 am
Right, and since you are much closer to the door you naturally get through it first. The thug falls for it, but he does have that blade in his other hand. Oh, lucky you, he misses with that too. He must have been trying to slip his blade into a gap in your "armor". Instead, the tip passes through the empty space under your armpit, between your arm and the side of your torso.
Called shots are not easy to make.

A throwing star of some sort goes burring past his ear, and his surprised flinch causes him to lose his grip on his chain....

... and a 2nd one whirrs over Sylvi and scores a gash on the Templars arm. His eyes go wide, and stay that way as he looks past Sylvi at the mad who threw it.
If the point of the blade had been what connected, Tycho would be in a much worse position. As it stands, there's no chance of the wide edge cutting through the metal mesh of his robes. Tycho is now close enough to see how the thug is protecting himself from the gas [[whether or not he recognizes the sigil or if the sigil is even related to the gas is up to you, of course, Phaing]] - and close enough to do what he'd been intending to do from the beginning.

He ignores the blade under his arm and steps forward, using the weight of the chain to boost his inertia, and stabs towards the thug's torso. His gloves and sword go from seemingly inert to blindingly bright in the span of less than a second as he begins the stabbing motion. In the blink of an eye, the gauntlets and blade have both reached 1600 degrees Celsius, and they are easily bright enough to bathe the rest of the room in pale bluish-white light. It's safe to say that Tycho doesn't wear eye protection for show. Assuming the chain is made of iron or steel, the chain wrapped around the blade melts into a glowing rain of molten metal as Tycho's stabbing motion brings his searing blade closer to the thug's chest.

As he watches his blade get closer to the thug's chest, an errant thought strikes him, far too late to do anything about. "I hope this gas isn't terribly combustible...." He's not sure how much longer he can hold this breath in in any case, so he's also somewhat trying to avoid incinerating the mask the thug is wearing, but dealing with the immediate threat is more important.