The Daily Beasts

Play around with roles and whatnot in here, I suppose.

Moderator: Moderators

DarkTheImmortal
Overlord of Space & Time
Location: Somewhere between life, death, and a grilled cheese sandwich.

Re: The Daily Beasts (open)

#931 Post by DarkTheImmortal »

(I feel like I've waited long enough. Sorry Rook.)
Phaing wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:46 am Rolling puts your back up against the couch, but that does the job. Instead of crushing you, the tall cabinet topples over the couch, knocks the coachman halfway across the room, and hits the floor with a crash that makes even the Templar jump. Down there on the floor, you can still look around, even sheltered by the couch and the heavy furniture it is holding up over you. The funny thing is, half a dozen humans have walked in, and they don't seem very disturbed by all this. The chuckle, flop down onto chairs nearby, and are soon snoring.
Which seems like a wonderful idea, really. The trouble is, this spot you are in now is so very uncomfortable.
Well, it has been a rough day so far. A nap wouldn't hurt.
Anaraia shook her head, remembering that she needs to save her acquaintances. She hits her head on the floor to try to keep herself awake a little longer. She tries to get up, but finds that in this state it's hard to stand. Eyeing her goal, the door to the outside, she tries to get there, using things to hold her up.

(I feel like I need to make this short for Phaing to determine what happens with her and the gas.)

The Rookie
Grand Templar

#932 Post by The Rookie »

Phaing wrote:Needless to say, a templar isn't likely to consider the middle one, and the last one is a bit of a stretch, so yeah, he blames Sylvi. or the fellow that comes out behind her and lunges at the Thug.
He casts his own spell, and Sylvi sees her mana stones go dark (this is temporary, but there is no immediate counter for it)

Oh, and Sylvi, since you moved out of Ramius's radius, you are about to get a snoot-full of that Gas. There is only about half a dozen paces separating the two of you.

BTW- the gas starts to effect Sylvi differently than the Fox. She feels light-headed, but also kinda invincible.
Well, a full snoot of gas isn't going to help anyone...

With her magics disabled, Sylvi should be worried. Her hopes were largely resting on being able to parry or duel this Templar long enough for Raimius to close in and engage on his own. She should be terrified... But she wasn't...

The she wolf begins to move strangely; swaying from left to right as if preforming part of a ritualistic dance. Then begins the laughing... A deep sinister chuckle which borders on being maleficent in nature. "Your magics can't stop me... Nothing can stop me!" she screams as she throws her weapon toward the Templar like a javelin. As the weapon takes flight, she too is baring down on the Templar with claws outstretched.

She hasn't gone feral, mind you. This is just... Something else...

//Sorry, I had no idea what to do here at all. It's not like me to pass up on posting here, but I just couldn't find traction with any of it... Hope this at least moves things along.//
Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Phaing
Master

#933 Post by Phaing »

2561642 wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:13 am the gauntlets and blade have both reached 1600 degrees Celsius,
Um, no, they didn't.
That would be hot enough to flash-fry the entire building. I'll give you not enough to glow bright and melt or things that com in contact with it, but lets not go nuts here.

2561642 wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:13 am As he watches his blade get closer to the thug's chest, an errant thought strikes him, far too late to do anything about. "I hope this gas isn't terribly combustible...." He's not sure how much longer he can hold this breath in in any case, so he's also somewhat trying to avoid incinerating the mask the thug is wearing, but dealing with the immediate threat is more important.
Your attack failed, his parry was good... and bad. Bashing your blade away has the effect of showering the thug with bits of melting chain. He screams, drops his other weapon and rolls around on the floor.
Tycho was NOT caught in that spray!
(you got lucky. Raimuis passed behind you and neutralized the gas, and was gone again by the time you started casting the spell.)

DarkTheImmortal wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:36 am Well, it has been a rough day so far. A nap wouldn't hurt.
Anaraia shook her head, remembering that she needs to save her acquaintances. She hits her head on the floor to try to keep herself awake a little longer. She tries to get up, but finds that in this state it's hard to stand. Eyeing her goal, the door to the outside, she tries to get there, using things to hold her up.

(I feel like I need to make this short for Phaing to determine what happens with her and the gas.)
Good call, the door was left open. However, I will have to allow that it takes at least as long for the effects to go away as it took for them to affect you in the first place. So, yes, that's this turn for you. And the next turn will be limited to one simple action.
You can see out the door, where the empty carriage and a team of bored-looking horses are parked.

The Rookie wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:41 am "Your magics can't stop me... Nothing can stop me!" she screams as she throws her weapon toward the Templar like a javelin. As the weapon takes flight, she too is baring down on the Templar with claws outstretched.

She hasn't gone feral, mind you. This is just... Something else...

//Sorry, I had no idea what to do here at all. It's not like me to pass up on posting here, but I just couldn't find traction with any of it... Hope this at least moves things along.//
//it does appear that I have made this too complicated, so I will get it wrapped up. But with 3 chars plus NPCs an intense scene like this WILL get problematic... aren't you glad we didn't have a Battle Royale just to get into the Port? :mrgrin: //

With perfect timing, the Templar reveals a shield and deflects Sylvi's spear with a triumphant shout. The shield is not large, but it does have a spike protruding from the center and a serrated edge running around the outer edge. He is surprised to see Sylvi coming at him unarmed, but the odds are still in his favor... until he takes a step back.
He forgot, apparently Sylvi forgot too (and so did I, until I reviewed this whole thing in my head) that the staircase heading down to the lower floor is right behind him. It was that earlier step back to see about the noise Annaria was causing that did him in. That shout dies and he flails in mid-air, his majic failing him as he tries to save himself with the wrong tools.
Oh... this is going to be nasty, and loud, and maybe a little disgusting.
The poor fool is holding the equivalent of a 30cm. circular saw-blade in his hand.

//The roll for Sylvi to save herself from the same fall was marginal, so...//

She very nearly followed him down, but there is a strangled "no!" from behind you, and a hand grabs your tail. It stalls the fall for just long enough for Raimius to grab the scruff of her neck and haul Sylvi back from the edge.
"Teamwork," He gasps into her ear, "we need to work on that!"
"If you’re going to tell people the truth, you'd better make them laugh; otherwise, they will kill you."

-George Bernard Shaw

The Rookie
Grand Templar

#934 Post by The Rookie »

Phaing wrote:He forgot, apparently Sylvi forgot too (and so did I, until I reviewed this whole thing in my head) that the staircase heading down to the lower floor is right behind him.
Oh dear...
Phaing wrote:She very nearly followed him down, but there is a strangled "no!" from behind you, and a hand grabs your tail. It stalls the fall for just long enough for Raimius to grab the scruff of her neck and haul Sylvi back from the edge.
"Teamwork," He gasps into her ear, "we need to work on that!"
Still a little loopy from the gas, Sylvi still hasn't realised how close she'd just come to death. Instead, her gut instinct is to cup Raimius around the ear. Not enough to hurt him, but enough to get her message across. "What did I say about grabbing my tail like that?! You know that hurts!" she readies her arm for a second swing, but instead she places her hand upon her forehead and starts grumbling about having a sudden headache for the second time today.

Suddenly her ears prick up and her eyes focus on Raimius's, a horrified expression on her face. "Rita! Go get Rita!" Sylvi orders, sending Raimius back into action. "You know where to find her, so go. Go! I'll help the others."

Sylvi will then look for her spear, which she hopes is now lodged in the floor or wall somewhere close by, or at least somewhere on the same level as she is.

DarkTheImmortal
Overlord of Space & Time

#935 Post by DarkTheImmortal »

(Sorry for the really short post, but can't really do much with one simple action)
Phaing wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:46 amAnd the next turn will be limited to one simple action.
You can see out the door, where the empty carriage and a team of bored-looking horses are parked.
She feels the effects of the gas lighten up, but not fast enough. All she does is walk away from the door, and rest her head on the side of the building, hitting it every once in a while to keep awake.

#936 Post by 2561642 »

Phaing wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:46 am
2561642 wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:13 am As he watches his blade get closer to the thug's chest, an errant thought strikes him, far too late to do anything about. "I hope this gas isn't terribly combustible...." He's not sure how much longer he can hold this breath in in any case, so he's also somewhat trying to avoid incinerating the mask the thug is wearing, but dealing with the immediate threat is more important.
Your attack failed, his parry was good... and bad. Bashing your blade away has the effect of showering the thug with bits of melting chain. He screams, drops his other weapon and rolls around on the floor.
Tycho was NOT caught in that spray!
(you got lucky. Raimuis passed behind you and neutralized the gas, and was gone again by the time you started casting the spell.)
His blade being knocked away causes Tycho to involuntarily stop holding his breath, and he discovers he can breathe normally. Unfortunately, the parry has also put him off-balance. A one swing confrontation was all he had planned for. Watching the thug writhe on the floor for a moment after regaining his footing, he decides that this threat is not sufficiently incapacitated. He doesn't trust himself to use the sword safely, so he awkwardly sheathes it. As soon as it leaves contact with the gloves, it returns to room temperature and ceases to glow. His gloves are still quite hot.

His next move will be to go for the thug's ankles with his still searing gloves. Lucky for the thug, the temperature is hot enough to destroy the nerve endings in his skin and flesh before they can send pain signals to his brain. Yeah, lucky for him. Tycho grabs for the thug's legs - if he connects, he reasons that the thug won't be much of a problem afterwards.

He's unsure how long the gauntlets have been active exactly, but he can only hold this temperature for a total of 72 seconds in a day.

Phaing
Master

#937 Post by Phaing »

The Rookie wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:48 pm Suddenly her ears prick up and her eyes focus on Raimius's, a horrified expression on her face. "Rita! Go get Rita!" Sylvi orders, sending Raimius back into action. "You know where to find her, so go. Go! I'll help the others."
You won't have to say that twice, he is off like a shot....
The Rookie wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:48 pmSylvi will then look for her spear, which she hopes is now lodged in the floor or wall somewhere close by, or at least somewhere on the same level as she is.
It went out the window, see below-
DarkTheImmortal wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:07 pmShe feels the effects of the gas lighten up, but not fast enough. All she does is walk away from the door, and rest her head on the side of the building, hitting it every once in a while to keep awake.
//If I am correct in reading this, she crawled outside//

Out there, the cool air does wonders to revive you, but the horses are not very happy. That spear clattered to the cobblestones between their legs. Not hitting them, but as close as possible otherwise. The problem with that is, the coachman was in such a hurry to get inside that he didn't set the brake. The front pair of horses are trying to back up, the pair behind them are starting to go along with that reluctantly, and the last pair are simply irritated and look ready to start nipping at the rumps of the horses ahead of them.
Not a good situation at all.
Across the street, some old woman is dumping out a chamber pot from a 2nd story window and sees what is going on. Instead of any helpful move at all, she laughs and says over her shoulder; "Hey Merl, come look at this!"

-- setting a brakes is a simple thing, and I know that Sylvi has learned how to handle a carriage in her travels... but I don't know if Annaria knows anything about that--
2561642 wrote: Fri May 05, 2017 3:31 am Tycho grabs for the thug's legs - if he connects, he reasons that the thug won't be much of a problem afterwards.
You are right, contact with those gauntlets is enough to kill anyone just from temperature shock.
And sets his clothes on fire.

Ramius runs past you, leaping over the body and Tycho as he crouches down. His passing kills the heat coming off the Gauntlets ... but not the flames. He kicks the door to Rita's room in, and sees that she is still asleep in her bed, but before he goes in he glances back at Tycho and gives you a 'what the hell?' kind of look.

He shouts, not at Tycho; "Rita is fine! Lets grab our stuff and get out of here!"
"If you’re going to tell people the truth, you'd better make them laugh; otherwise, they will kill you."

-George Bernard Shaw

DarkTheImmortal
Overlord of Space & Time

#938 Post by DarkTheImmortal »

Phaing wrote: Sun May 07, 2017 7:05 am//If I am correct in reading this, she crawled outside//

Out there, the cool air does wonders to revive you, but the horses are not very happy. That spear clattered to the cobblestones between their legs. Not hitting them, but as close as possible otherwise. The problem with that is, the coachman was in such a hurry to get inside that he didn't set the brake. The front pair of horses are trying to back up, the pair behind them are starting to go along with that reluctantly, and the last pair are simply irritated and look ready to start nipping at the rumps of the horses ahead of them.
Not a good situation at all.
Across the street, some old woman is dumping out a chamber pot from a 2nd story window and sees what is going on. Instead of any helpful move at all, she laughs and says over her shoulder; "Hey Merl, come look at this!"

-- setting a brakes is a simple thing, and I know that Sylvi has learned how to handle a carriage in her travels... but I don't know if Annaria knows anything about that--
(I will say that she has no idea how to handle a carriage)

The moving horses caught her attention. The carriage they were attached to gave her an idea as well. They were already wanted and they needed to get away as soon as possible.
The problem was deciding whether to calm the horses or go back in to help the others.
Thinking about how the gas affected her, she went to the horses. Slowly approaching at first, and the trying to talk softly trying to get the front ones to stop moving. She had no idea what she was doing though.

Phaing
Master

#939 Post by Phaing »

DarkTheImmortal wrote: Wed May 10, 2017 4:22 am Thinking about how the gas affected her, she went to the horses. Slowly approaching at first, and the trying to talk softly trying to get the front ones to stop moving. She had no idea what she was doing though.
I'm not sure how or why, but that is actually working.
:shock:
Good thing, too. A big heavy-set man was stumping his way out there to grab hold of the horses. Once he saw you taking care of it he turned away to go back inside across the road. He pauses and looks back over his shoulder, and mutters something about "... weird little furry beasts..." before continuing on his way back home.

The Horses are still a little restless, but they are too big, healthy and fresh to be upset by an upright Fox, or angry enough to try to kill you.
That is the choice Annaria is giving them; run right over you or be content to stand still right where they are.

Your foot comes down on something hard. Looking down, you can see Sylvia's big, powerful, magical spear laying there on the cobblestones.

-George Bernard Shaw

The Rookie
Grand Templar

#940 Post by The Rookie »

Phaing wrote:It went out the window, see below
Ah.... Crap...

No spear, no magic and no real idea what to do next. While her intention was to help Tycho, she thought she'd be little more than a nuance to either the thug or her companion.

Phaing wrote:He shouts, not at Tycho; "Rita is fine! Lets grab our stuff and get out of here!"
Seeing a means of being useful, she decides it best just to follow Raimius' lead. Where ever that may take her.

//Sorry for the dismally short reply... //

Phaing
Master

#941 Post by Phaing »

/// folks, this mont went from bad to worse and I am so busy I am also getting sick, so I have to give myself a break and take a week off. I really need this, I will PM you when I can take this up again//

-George Bernard Shaw

Phaing
Master

#942 Post by Phaing »

The Rookie wrote: Sun May 14, 2017 2:42 pmNo spear, no magic and no real idea what to do next. While her intention was to help Tycho, she thought she'd be little more than a nuance to either the thug or her companion.

Phaing wrote:He shouts, not at Tycho; "Rita is fine! Lets grab our stuff and get out of here!"
Seeing a means of being useful, she decides it best just to follow Raimius' lead. Where ever that may take her.
//Okay, I'm back and feeling ready for more. It seems I only have this one to reply to... I will get us out of this place ASAP, sure feels like we have been here long enough, eh?//

Actually, Raimius is impressed with Sylvi. "I don't care how you did it, taking that Templar down so quickly saved our bacon. Speaking of bacon, we'd better help ourselves on the way out the door. And maybe a frying pan, too!"

Rita is very soundly asleep, her slumber deepened by that evil green mist that seems to be lingering everywhere Raimius does not go first... or where a window or a door has not already been thrown open. He bundles her up in a blanket and then dresses himself before gathering up all their gear as quickly as he can make himself move.
"Grab... oh hell, where did that Annaria-girl get off to? Tycho, if you have all yours gear, get downstairs and make sure of thing, will you?"

Tycho - the flames have not reached the face-mask yet.

-George Bernard Shaw

DarkTheImmortal
Overlord of Space & Time

#943 Post by DarkTheImmortal »

With the horse situation taken care of, all that was left is to get the others out.
Phaing wrote: Sun May 14, 2017 3:53 amYour foot comes down on something hard. Looking down, you can see Sylvia's big, powerful, magical spear laying there on the cobblestones.
Well, that shouldn't be there.
"<well, that can't be good, if she doesn't have her spear....>" She mumbled to herself.
She walks up to the door of the inn (just outside of the range of the smoke) takes a deep breath, and runs inside. She heads straight for their rooms, and when she sees them still alive, she quickly tries to motion that she's outside...
(I'll let Phaing decide if she's able to hold her breath the whole time, and if she can:)
and runs back out. She lays on the ground next to Sylvi's spear, being tired and breathing fast from running up and down stairs while holding her breath.

The Rookie
Grand Templar

#944 Post by The Rookie »

Phaing wrote:Actually, Raimius is impressed with Sylvi. "I don't care how you did it, taking that Templar down so quickly saved our bacon. Speaking of bacon, we'd better help ourselves on the way out the door. And maybe a frying pan, too!"
Sylvi looked at him in disbelief, not sure whether to scold him or bury her face in her palms.
"Really, bacon? You're talking about raiding the kitchen before we leave?!" she grumbles as she follows behind. "You'd better be planning on liberating a few apples too..."
Phaing wrote:He bundles her up in a blanket and then dresses himself before gathering up all their gear as quickly as he can make himself move.
Sylvi does the same. Taking turns to hold Rita when Raimius needed both hands free. "I guess it's a good thing we never had a chance to unpack, otherwise we'd have to abandon most of it." pulling on her still full rucksack and filling her pockets with her smaller belongings, like coin and stones.

Phaing
Master

#945 Post by Phaing »

The Rookie wrote: Sun May 28, 2017 4:29 am
"Really, bacon? You're talking about raiding the kitchen before we leave?!" she grumbles as she follows behind. "You'd better be planning on liberating a few apples too..."
"We may end up eating the horses before the week is up. If we have any, that is! We have about 3 minutes, and put a shawl over your head if you can find one."
DarkTheImmortal wrote: Wed May 24, 2017 6:26 am...
She walks up to the door of the inn (just outside of the range of the smoke) takes a deep breath, and runs inside. She heads straight for their rooms, and when she sees them still alive, she quickly tries to motion that she's outside...
(I'll let Phaing decide if she's able to hold her breath the whole time, and if she can:)
and runs back out. She lays on the ground next to Sylvi's spear, being tired and breathing fast from running up and down stairs while holding her breath.
And Ramius is coming down the stairs, looking none the worse for all the... oh, the green stuff just fades away when he's around. He looks at the fallen Templar, crumpled at the foot of the stairs, and then he notices Annaria.
"Ah, THERE you are! Take-" oh, no, Annaria is too small to carry Rita, and Raimius can't go near him without spoiling whatever he may be carrying. "Search the Templar and take his stuff. And if you can, grab anything to eat that you can carry with you. I'll see to the carriage." He smiles as he sees it through the doorway. "Oh yeah, a nice overlander, our luck is improving already!"

But once he gets outside he nearly spooks the horses. "SYLVI, I FOUND YOUR SPEAR!"
(no, he isn't touching it!)

When the girls join him outside, he has Rita inside laying on the floor, he is up in the driver's bench and will be whipping the horses forward as soon as everyone joins him there.
"Where the hell is Tycho?"

-George Bernard Shaw