TwoKinds: Chaos Era

Play around with roles and whatnot in here, I suppose.

Moderator: Moderators

Kieth

TwoKinds: Chaos Era

#1 Post by Kieth »

(Alright, the RP begins here in the town of Ridgegate or whatever XD. For those who wish to join just go to the OOC thread and make a character. For those who already have. You are free to begin.)

Chaos theory said things fall apart, chaos theory said everything is random, everything is atrophy and unknown and there is no way you will ever control it or understand it. That it's all just guessing, you can't even count the possibilities you can never know, you can never prepare, you can never do anything about it. crap just happened. It happened ferociously and unstoppably, all physics and beyond the physics, rapidly changing numbers and beyond the numbers...but in the end who knows.

Chaos theory would be pondered for thousands of years.

Can you tell a smile from a veil? They were indistinguishable here, they were a permanent fixture of his powerful empire. As much a fixture as the invisible walls, or beckoning, threatening howl, a bell from a tower, the summons. Year after year, these would remain until they crumbled, and Julius's veil would remain as well. Only time could erode it.

He had finally arrived to the mainland after about a years worth of sailing...the west far behind him as he set his paws on firm earth. His ship tied down to the docks of this...land. Those bi colored orbs wandered over the sign post that seemed to be scattered through the village. And after entering the tavern he could see the eyes on him...the half breed ignored it as any good man would. Taking a seat and ordering some wine...he could feel the eyes burning into his back as his ears twitched and swiveled. Golden markings flaring with color as his long hair rested on his back.

He sat now as though he were waiting for something to be drawn to him, by fate, by chance, by aggression or any other motive. Maybe he did understand chaos theory. Maybe he knew how things tended to unravel.

Yes, yes he did understand. And when a kind stranger moved herself closer to him Julius smiled.

"Um, sir. You might want to leave for a little while...just until those gentleman behind you pack up and go." She whispered quietly. Julius simply tapped his finger a bit and nodding nonchalantly as if they where having a typical conversation.

"Nonsense. I haven't even gotten my drink yet." He replied, curving his gaze towards her. "Besides...did i do something to 'offend' those gentleman?" He asked with a low growl...looking over behind the bar and into the collection of bottles ahead of him..his eyes looked deep into their reflection...spotting the table of several humans looking at him with disdain.

Julius scoffed and let out a small laugh. There was little Julius feared...a couple of thugs was not one of them.

"Nono. Its just...well. They are apart of a pretty notorious gang...who 'hate' your kind." She tried to warn, nervousness in her tone as she tried to make herself small. Julius rolled his eyes and shrugged.

"And here i thought Ridgegate was a peaceful town...cant trust anything anyone says these days." He mumbled, watching as the bartender collected his drink. Placing it in front of him.

When the monsters stepped out from under the bed, he would give them a smile. A well-worn, psychotic smile. A tired smile. And he would narrow his bright bi colored eyes. Taking a breath in through his nostrils...inhaling the scents of those around him as those vibrant eyes of his slowly came into focus...taking a sip of his wine and sighing. Sucking through his teeth and smacking his lips.

"Meh, this wont do. Need something stronger." He grumbled, reaching into his black and gold crop jacket and pulling out a canteen. Unscrewing the cap and pouring some of its contents into the glass to mix with the wine. He then took another swig. A shudder going down his spine as he smacked the table from the burning in his throat. "There we go...western Vesnla. Always a kicker." He growled. Looking to his new neighbor and smiling. Offering the canteen. "Best alcohol in the west..." He offered. "Didn't catch you're name mate. I'm Julius." He went on, ignoring her warnings. The woman looked back at the men and simply shook her head, standing from the bar and leaving. "G-good luck Mr Julius. You will need it." She called, making a hasty retreat to the exits. Julius watched her go and frowned, hearing footsteps gather from behind him.

It must of been...another one of those days.

The Rookie
Grand Templar

Re: TwoKinds: Chaos Era

#2 Post by The Rookie »

Meanwhile across town, an unlikely meeting between a human and a Basitin was taking place at the Wyrm scale apothecary. An exchange of knowledge for knowledge. Memories for learning.

At first glance, Malcolm’s practice could almost be mistaken for a flouriest. The entrance’s show room was adorned with shelves of flowers, mosses and mushrooms, all with little notes on what medical properties each possessed.

Toward the back of the room is a large wooded counter with several repurposed bookcase sized wine racks filled with colourful potions to either side.

Behind the counter was a large oak door which leads to Malcolm’s practice, where he saw all his patients.

Sitting in a chair behind the counter was Tobias, glancing around the practice, eyeing the assortment of plants and the dozens upon dozens of bottles stored around the room. Between the sound of bottles clinking together and the shuffling of feet, the basitin still wasn't sure how he got wrapped up in helping with the healer's experiments but the possibility of returning some memories seemed to outweigh any immediate danger.

"I can't thank you enough for this opportunity, Mr.Tobias." Malcolm said gleefully, gathering his collection of experimental potions and a note book. "It's so rare to have such a fine specimen..." Malcolm froze for a moment, suddenly aware of what he just said aloud "Rare to have a 'Basistin' come through this way." giving an awkward smile before returning to his potions.

One of Tobias' ears twitched at the word "specimen", a forgivable slip of the tongue, but it was understandable. It was quite a sight to see a single basitin on the mainland since they rarely left their island, or so he has been told just about everytime he has walked through a town.

"Now, as I'm sure you're aware, Basitin's are highly resistant to magic, which unfortunately includes healing magics as well." Malcolm said as he pulled up a stool "Now a normal cut may take a week or or so to fully heal, but if these work, I might be able to help you regenerate the tissue within the hour"

Malcolm placed a small square shaped bottle in Tobias' hand. "Now, before we start, I need you to understand that there may be some risk here." Malcolm said in an incredibly serious voice. "The ingredients in this bottle could easily kill a human or keidran, but I'm fairly certain that your immune system is strong enough to handle this and reap the benefits. I hope...

Tobias eyed the small squarish bottle in his hand, a small dose of death waiting to be taken, willingly. It be a lie to say he wasn't have some brief second thoughts about this, as much as he has been told how resilient his people were, there was still the possibility of this potion actually killing him. Tobias sighed heavily, he really did want to help Malcolm out with his research but the though of gaining back some of his lost memories was even more enticing.

"Alright, I guess there's nothing else left to do but drink this, uh, potion. So here's to this stuff not killing me, hopefully..." He said before quickly downing the bottle's contents with a grimace.

The potion burned the entire way down his throat where it settled in his stomach for a brief moment before it started to boil his insides. To say that Tobias was experiencing some discomfort would be an understatement as he hunched over, dropping the small bottle and grabbed at his stomach in more pain than he could remember being in the past two years. His breathing became ragged as the potion worked it's way through his body, his body tensing up and shuddering in response. It was about five minutes or so before the pain started to fade away rather quickly, his body starting to relax and his breathing started to return to normal before he could sit back up once again.

Malcolm watched from the side lines, feeling semi sickened by himself for putting the young lad though so much pain. While Malcolm had a collection of known antidotes on stand by should anything go horribly wrong, the test seemed to be going a smoothly as one could hope.

"]Well, your little potion didn't kill me, but that's not to say it didn't try its best to do so. Please tell me you got something out of this, because I definitely don't want to drink anything else you call a "potion" right now." Tobias said, still breathing a little more heavily than normal.

Malcolm place a hand on Tobias's shoulder "Relax, that's the only one for the moment." Malcolm said, passing the Basitin a bowl of cool water to drink "Now, to test if the potion works, I need you to be willing to do one last thing." Malcolm said, showing the Basitin a small inch long blade. "We need to cause a small injury to test the rate of healing." Malcolm said regretfully.

Taking the offered bowl, Tobias took a long drink from it, the cool water soothing his sore throat. He was also thankful for the comforting touch the healer gave him for going through that ordeal. But as Malcolm explained there was one more task that needed to be completed before he would know if the experiment was complete. Taking the small knife into his right he prepared to make a small incision on the palm of left hand.

"No offence Malcolm, but this will be easiest thing you've asked me to do for your experiment." He said as he quickly cut his hand open. It was quick and a bit of discomfort, the cut was about an inch long and deep enough that blood started to seep out quickly in an attempt to seal the wound. It was actually a bit of an odd sight to Tobias, it was rare to see himself bleed let alone because of an self inflicted wound.

Tobias sighed, "There has to be some else going on with me to go through all of this just to get back some memories. Tell me Malcolm, how long do you think it will take before we some some sort of result here?"

"Not long." Malcolm said, wrapping Tobias's wound with a white cloth bandage. "Now, I owe you some memories, right?" Malcolm said smiling, giving Tobias a firm tap on his shoulder as her got up to get his equipment.

"Now, usually I'd use an advanced ancient secret magical technique to help unlock you're memories. But since you're race is resistant to magic." Malcolm turned around brandishing a steel bone saw "We're going to have to try something slightly more old fashioned."

"Ok now, I can't tell if you're really serious about hacking me open or if you have some sort of death wish now. Want to explain this to me Malcolm before you make the wrong choice?" Tobias said, standing up out the chair and backing up a few step as he placed a hand on the hilt of his short sword.

"Relax, I'm just messing with you". Malcolm said with a small chuckle placing the bone saw back in a draw. "What I actually have in mind is a special kind of tea. Special recipe I learnt off of a travelling tiger a few years back." Malcolm explained.

"Alright, just don't expect me to sit still when you're waving sharp objects in my face." Tobias said a bit sternly as he eased his hand off his weapon and took a seat back in the chair again. "So this tea of yours really does restore memories? It almost sounds too good to be true, how effective is this?" Tobias asked as he watch Malcolm gather some ingredients.

"It really depends on the person and what memories they're trying to restore." Malcolm said as he sprinkled a handful of powdered root into the boiling water. "Some people use it to revisit fond memories, while others take it to help remember gaps in their day to day life. I myself drink it when ever I'm struggling to remember how to brew certain potions or cast certain spells."

Malcolm look up from the teapot toward Tobias. "To be honest, I'm not sure what you'll remember" he said in a sombre tone.

"Oh, so it will be quite a shot in the dark..." Tobias said disappointed, his ears drooping a little more than usual. "I guess finding something out is better than not having found anything at all. If I can remember anything at all, I hope it how I ended up hereon the mainland alone. That will be the answer to one mystery."

"Hey, cheer up, buddy." Malcolm said putting on a smile as poured two mugs of tea. "There's always a chance you might find what you're looking for"

Malcolm walked over to where Tobias sat, offering him one of the mugs before sitting down himself. "Now I've got to warn you." Malcolm said cautiously "What ever you see, just remember you're in a safe place and it can't harm you." Malcolm took a sip of his tea savouring the flavours. "I hope you find what you're looking for."

"Thanks, I guess it's time to take a trip down memory lane then." Tobias focused for a moment before taking a drink from the tea and closed his eyes. It was a few minutes before a fragment revealed itself, it was a a training ground somewhere on the Basidian Ilse and on older Basitin was standing infront of him, presenting something to him. It was dagger, probably the most well worn, unsharpened dagger with a blade that had a slight bend in it. The older basitin standing before Tobas was speaking, it sounded like "this is yours now". He reached out to grab the weapon, feeling its weight in his hand before looking up back at the basitin, but that's where the memory faded away. Opening his eyes, Tobias found he was still sitting in Malcolm's practice with mug still in hand, the tea had brought back a piece of a memory but not the one he wanted for answers.

With a sad smile Tobias said, "Well it did work, I remember my first combat lesson, I think, where I was given my very first weapon to train with. It was a dagger, the worst dagger in the entire Eastern Basitin armory, it looked like it was ready to fall apart it you tapped it. The instructor was saying something along the lines of "this is yours now", I think he was passing that weapon down to me, I'm not sure, the memory didn't last too long. Thank you Malcolm, it may not have been the memory I wanted but at the very least I got something back today."
Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Phaing
Master

#3 Post by Phaing »

Like attracts like...
Even where there is Chaos, even where chaos rules supreme, actions have consequences. The reaction may not be equal, opposite or even deserved, but it will come.... to somebody.

She lands lightly on the dock and merges with the crowds as soon as possible. The watercraft she had left was little more than a barge, and the crowd wasn't much of a gathering, just the usual assortment of porters, travelers and opportunists that show up when anything bigger than a longboat ties up.
The journey has been long, years of it, and she knows better than to trust anyone at the Docks offering to help a newcomer. This foreign woman does not scurry, but watches how the locals move and does a credible job of imitating them soon enough. Any beggar or petty criminal that tries to approach her directly will be treated to a vehement string of profanity as she dodges away.

Phaing knows she has made it at last when her feet hit a mud-puddle. Off the docks, dry land... of a sort. What shows then is not so much a smile, but a relaxation of her constant frown, and she tips her head back to take a deep and grateful breath of the air.
A heartbeat later, she is moving again, in pursuit of a vision.
She spotted it before her barge tied up, a creature of Gold and Black, and fur. One of the fabled beast-men of this continent. Phaing had never been treated very well by Humanity and had no great love for any of them. Perhaps, just perhaps, these folk might be more accepting of her, or at least easier to deal with.

This small woman has traveled so far that the stars are different, but at least the it is still the same moon in this hemisphere. Here they have seasons, too, but they come at the opposite time of year. All of this strangeness is encouraging instead of daunting. Perhaps, at last, she has outrun her past and the long reach of Fangore.

Phaing is some minutes behind the tall dark Keidran, but she sets out in the direction she saw him heading.
However, there are so many distractions...

At first glance, Malcolm’s practice could almost be mistaken for a flouriest. The entrance’s show room was adorned with shelves of flowers, mosses and mushrooms, all with little notes on what medical properties each possessed.
She can't help going inside to take a closer look, and a sniff.... oh, so nice, and perhaps to stroke the moss just to feel what it's like.

In this sort of surrounding, she is rather timid. Folks won't be able to see much of her with that big floppy hat and the cloak. However, when she senses the eyes of other people on her, she will put her hands behind her back, clasped together. It is intended as a peaceful gesture to indicate that she is not trying to pocket anything in this store. She leans forward again, and puts her cheek to one of the flowers with a dreamy look on her face.
Its a nice face, when she is relaxed

The problem is, putting her hands back like that causes her cloak to open up, revealing that she is armed to the teeth. Daggers, a scimitar-like blade mounted curiously on her right hip, and a small quiver of half a dozen arrows on her left thigh. The moment Phaing senses (or imagines she senses) eyes on her gear she will close the cloak and flee the building, muttering something apologetic under her breath.
The tone, at least, is apologetic. The words are of a language few in this land have heard before... if ever.

She goes down an ally and into the first open door she can find. Fortunately it is a Bar, just the sort of thing she could use right now. Even more lucky, the Keidran is there, too. Phaing quietly gets herself a drink and settles into a quiet corner of the room. From there she can observe the exotic fellow, and learn something about him before saying anything.
Oops, saying something will require some minor magic. Casting her translations spell will retard her efforts to learn the local dialect, but it will be worth it in the short run, she believes. Unfortunately he is not saying much, and what he does say is not loud enough to travel well.

Horribly, there is a gang of men behind him... and there is nothing exotic about the. THiS breed is all to familiar. These are the kind of scum that have made her life a living hell on numerous occasions. Not so bad as those twisted Aristocrats, but still very bad news.
And they are focused on the pretty Keidran, oh no no no, this will not do!
Kieth wrote:(Alright, the RP begins here in the town of Ridgegate or whatever XD. For those who wish to join just go to the OOC thread and make a character. For those who already have. You are free to begin.)
When the monsters stepped out from under the bed, he would give them a smile. A well-worn, psychotic smile. A tired smile. And he would narrow his bright bi colored eyes. Taking a breath in through his nostrils...inhaling the scents of those around him as those vibrant eyes of his slowly came into focus...taking a sip of his wine and sighing. Sucking through his teeth and smacking his lips.

"Meh, this wont do. Need something stronger." He grumbled, reaching into his black and gold crop jacket and pulling out a canteen. Unscrewing the cap and pouring some of its contents into the glass to mix with the wine. He then took another swig. A shudder going down his spine as he smacked the table from the burning in his throat. "There we go...western Vesnla. Always a kicker." He growled. Looking to his new neighbor and smiling. Offering the canteen. "Best alcohol in the west..." He offered. "Didn't catch you're name mate. I'm Julius." He went on, ignoring her warnings. The woman looked back at the men and simply shook her head, standing from the bar and leaving. "G-good luck Mr Julius. You will need it." She called, making a hasty retreat to the exits. Julius watched her go and frowned, hearing footsteps gather from behind him.

It must of been...another one of those days.
While all that was going on, she pretended to drop a coin. This allows her to bend over, and string her horse-bow under her cloak. The little recurve bow is a handy item, especially at short ranges. When those dirty louts start to make their move, she is ready.

Phaing comes up out of her chair and catches another of the cheap little chairs with her foot, lofting it in the path of the thugs. It may hit one of them, but its really just a sudden attention-getter. When they look at her, she has the bow drawn and an arrow pointed straight at the face of the apparent leader. There is another arrow dangling from between the ring and pinkie finger of her draw-hand, and a third hanging from the hand holding the bow.

"I dunno if you can understand what ah'm saying," she says in a low, tight voice, "but ah'd really appreciate it if'n you'd give me an excuse to staple yer' head to that wall."

Not sure if you'd call it crazy or not, but one look at those dark eyes tells you that she would love it if that thug gave her that excuse, oh boy would she ever....
"If you’re going to tell people the truth, you'd better make them laugh; otherwise, they will kill you."

-George Bernard Shaw

Stryder221
Templar GrandMaster

#4 Post by Stryder221 »

Spoiler!
"Here, yeah? Absolutely certain? Alright, alright, I believe ya... No, I'm not scared! Oh, be quiet."

Moments after this brief conversation, barely audible to those inside the tavern, a curious individual had stepped inside, and would've likely caught many an eye with his almost painfully colorful and somewhat fancy blue robe, complete with a "wizard hat".
These were things he quickly hung up, paying absolutely no attention to his surroundings as he practically flew over to what was the previous the center of attention, bowling over an unfortunate individual as he took a seat nearby.

And by previous center of attention, I mean the half-breed.

In sharp contrast to the rather hostile looks of the other humans, this crimson-haired man seemed to actually be excited to see the strange "keidran", and seemed to be totally oblivious to any hostility and/or danger in the room.
"So!" He had then said suddenly. "You became the talk of the town shockingly quick, and it's easy to see why. Never seen someone like you before. You mind if we perhaps share a few moments of conversation?"

Absolutely oblivious.
E͎͖̯̱̻͡r̲͇r͢҉͈͚ò͈̹̰̩̺͓̝̘̟̕r̨̡̺̥̲̰͕̭̬:̵͙̦̟̮̖̯̞́͢ ̴̛̞̙͙̠̲̝̟S̵͎̼̖̜̯͕̺͔̀i̶͉̟̝̻͕̺g̢̤͕n̴͈̩̝͓͖̹͕̟͢a͕̺̱͞ț̸̛͓u̢̥̣̣̰̪ͅr̨̠͙̯̣̣̘̠ḛ̡̨̟̗̥̰̱̻ͅ ̻̮̼̥͕̼͉͎u͏͔̳n͏͔͈̭̭͟a̮͕͖̲͕͙͔ͅv̺̦̼̥̭͙a͏҉̦̺̫̯i̝̙̳̜l̴̡̳̥͠a̢̘̬͈͢ͅb̶̶̦͉͙́ḷ̸̙̙̳̩̥́e͔̪̳̦̫͚̪̹ͅ.͖̠̗͔̖̞ͅ

Kieth

#5 Post by Kieth »

Moments passed. His ears swiveled atop his head like radar dishes as his finger tapped the table every one second. Counting the seconds that passed by ever since he arrived to the tavern...and when a stranger seemed to make her way into the tavern and sit in the fat corner his nose twitched..he closed his eyes and took in a breath. And just as he exhaled the men seemed to gather around him nonchalantly.

"Ya know...you like kind of fresh off the boat so let me explain something to you." A man began...taking a seat beside him and trying to appear friendly. Julius scoffed, playing with his glass and frowning.

"Let me guess. You want to tell me i am not welcome here or in the town blahblahblah, that if i dont leave something will happen to me blahblahblah and...eh. You and you're childish little gang don't like my kind because...well because your ignorant and racist?" Julius took some jabs, thinking one of them had to be correct.

The man gave him a look, balling his fist on the table. Julius sucked through his teeth and winced as if he were in pain.

"Mmm, if you came over here to tell me that you are wasting your time. I don't plan on sticking around mate." He growled. The man slammed his fist into the table and leaned in very close to Julius's face...

"You think you're hot [censored] don't you? You Kedrian are a bunch of primitive savages. I know all about your kind." The man hissed into his ear.

Julius remained calm, staring forward as he barked his insults and made himself look imposing. The golden marked halfbreed remained seated, and stopped tapping his fingers. His eyes slowly opened as he looked down at the table.

"My kind...and what exactly do you know about 'my kind'?" He asked, looking over at the man and looking him up and down...his brain picking apart every detail of his appearance. Black hair, green eyes...he had the faintest amount of fur all over his hair, neck, armor and trousers. Faint scent of a female lingered on him...an almost intoxicating aroma emanating from his lower region. Julius scoffed a laugh and looked forward again. "Then again...Judging from you're ruffled hair, scent of female Kedrian, and fur all over those cloths i'd say you know quite a lot about my kind...tell me. Was she as satisfying as a human?" He mocked insultingly. The man's eyes went wide and he opened his mouth to speak but gibberish fell out of it. Clearly shocked. The other men all exchanged glances before all looking at their so called leader.

"Wait what?" Another man said, suddenly turning his attention away.

"Yeah John whats with that? Sure the wife and kids wont feel to good about you bedding the family slave." Julius muttered, pouring himself another glass of ale. The group of men quickly turning on John as he tried to explain himself which...only dug himself deeper. Humans where so typical.

"You did what!? Have you gone mad? What about Lila and the kids!? You've been sleeping with a Kedrian?" One of them barked. Julius looked over at Bartender and winked playfully.

"Funny how you refer to us as savages...and yet. Here you are, terrorizing foreign guest, discriminating those you think are lower than you. I thought this was a peaceful town...but you seem pretty bent on creating conflict. But we are the savages right? Bloody imbecile." He growled, finishing off his drink. John seemed to panic, pointing at Julius and shouting as he reached to draw his sword.

"H-he's lyin! You can never trust their kind!"

Julius shook his head...turning his gaze to the stranger in the back as she quickly jumped up and tossed an object at the group...drawing a bow and aiming it towards them...Julius quickly lifted his hands and looked at the men then back at her.

"Uhhhh...i just wanna finish my drink." He mused, the bartender quickly pulling out a crossbow and also taking aim.

"Hey! Take it outside! I will not have this nonsense in my tavern!" She hissed. Julius kept his hands in the air and blinked.

"Erm...I'm not much good in a fight so i wont be going anywhere...buuuuut i would be happy to pay you to kick them out and lend me a room for a while." Julius asked innocently. The man seemed to all slowly take their hands off their blades and back away.

"What? He does not have any good money look at him." John growled, trying to convince the woman otherwise. Julius laughed a bit and looked forward at the bartender.

"Right right. Who you gonna believe luv...a couple of trouble making gang members or someone who wears gold?" He quipped, the bartender making a face as she looked him up and down.

"How much?" She asked. Julius slowly reached down...pulling open his jacket and reaching into it...pulling out a small pouch and placing it on the table, sliding it over to her.

"Go ahead and check...lady over there still has them in her sights." He told her with a smirk...the bartender slowly reached towards the pouch and opened it. Revealing several vibrant golden coins. She plucked one out and began to examine it with narrowed eyes.

"What is this? I've never seen these type of coins. You trying to pull a fast one on me?" She grumbled. Julius chuckled.

"I'm from the another land luv...what you're holding is the most valuable form of currency. Ever hear of a place called...El Dorado?" Julius asked, his eye flaring with color. The woman quickly gave him a look and shook her head. "The myth? Legendary city of gold? Do you take me for a fool?" She asked skeptically. Julius shrugged and smiled. "To be honest i take almost everyone to be a fool...its nothing personal. But uh, so you you see someone in front of you who had gold markings...had golden cloths...golden jewelry...and has a golden eye...and just gave you a pouch of gold. Is it really that hard to believe?" He explained simply. The woman stared at him for a long while before taking the pouch and putting it behind the bar. "Fine ill take the coin...but i still don't believe in fairytales." She grumbled, making her way around the bar and aiming at the gang members.

"Fine by me..." He mused, lowering his hands and placing them back on the table as she guided the men outside by arrow-point as they protested. Julius looksd over to the Asian woman and lifted his glass to her. "Cheers mate." He winked, laughing deviously as he started to relax now that those thugs were gone...but sure enough, moments later Julius spotted a man in a blue...cloak? Enter the tavern and quickly take a seat beside him.

"So!" He said abruptly. "You became the talk of the town shockingly quick, and it's easy to see why. Never seen someone like you before. You mind if we perhaps share a few moments of conversation?" The man asked a little...to excitedly. Julius blinked and stared at the guy for a while...his eyepatch hiding his other eye and thus obscuring his vision.

"Ugggg. Veelah Ke'lai, Ne bresh'neit." He cursed, slamming his hand into the side of his face. "I just got here like twenty minutes ago how the hell am i the talk of anything?" He groaned, slumping back in his chair. "Anyway...forgive me if this is rude. But I doubt you came all the way here just to have a conversation with a random stranger...what do you really want?" He sighed, tapping his fingers on the table rather impatiently. All he wanted was a drink...and it seemed no one would let him enjoy one in peace.

Phaing
Master

#6 Post by Phaing »

Phaing slowly eases up on the bow, and re-attaches those arrows to the bow with a pair of linked slip-knots. At the same time, her eyes flicker between the bar where the crossbow is being stashed away, and the door the Gang of Thugs just departed through. She unstrings the bow and slips it back into the sleeve built into her rucksack before the nausea hits her. She does not know the terminology, but unused adrenaline is what causes her dizzyness.
And there is also the late-coming realization of what almost happened here.
"why the hell did I just do that?" she whispers to herself as she swallows hard, and then catches sight of the Keidran, the first she has ever seen up close. He is all she had hoped for, brilliantly alien and as far removed from humanity as she could have hoped for. And wise enough to handle potential violence so casually... he must be a real Guru as well.

However, someone else seems to think so as well...
Stryder221 wrote:In sharp contrast to the rather hostile looks of the other humans, this crimson-haired man seemed to actually be excited to see the strange "keidran", and seemed to be totally oblivious to any hostility and/or danger in the room.
"So!" He had then said suddenly. "You became the talk of the town shockingly quick, and it's easy to see why. Never seen someone like you before. You mind if we perhaps share a few moments of conversation?"

Absolutely oblivious.
She approaches to within a few feet of the table, and this man's blather stops her dead in her tracks. She stares at what she had assumed to be a Jester of some sort, helpfully causing a diversion for them. Only now does she see that he really is that oblivious.
Her mouth opens twice, but she can't think of anything to say that would do him justice.

Until;
Kieth wrote:"Ugggg. Veelah Ke'lai, Ne bresh'neit." He cursed, slamming his hand into the side of his face. "I just got here like twenty minutes ago how the hell am i the talk of anything?" He groaned, slumping back in his chair. "Anyway...forgive me if this is rude. But I doubt you came all the way here just to have a conversation with a random stranger...what do you really want?" He sighed, tapping his fingers on the table rather impatiently. All he wanted was a drink...and it seemed no one would let him enjoy one in peace.
"Yes, that sums him up very well." She says in the same language, and then clutches her head in some pain. Trying to channel more than one language at a time sometimes causes headaches, in the literal sense.
And then the rest of what the elegant Kiedran says catches up with her.
So much for good timing, asking for spiritual guidance is out of the question now.

Oh no, he's looking at her, and dashing outside alone would be stupid, with those bad men out there.

"Hello, please, I'm so sorry to bother you. They call me Phaing."
Up close, she does not seem as she did from even a short way off. She is of the far-east, and yet not. Her delicate features have a sharp edge to them, her hair is the color of old gold. Her eyes are exotically shaped, but from this close you can see that they are actually a very deep shade of Blue, not Black.
"If I buy foods, can we chat?"
She half-turns away towards the bar, and recalls that the man himself just had trouble using his coins... she has not even seen a money-changer yet. Phaing takes a coin from her sleeve and looks at it with a dubious eye.
"Do you think they will take this?"
"If you’re going to tell people the truth, you'd better make them laugh; otherwise, they will kill you."

-George Bernard Shaw

Stryder221
Templar GrandMaster

#7 Post by Stryder221 »

"Dissection." The man responded to the question without hesitation. Wait, what? "Or so I wish. And no, not with a knife or anything. I could barely handle cutting open a frog, let alone... Um, changing the subject." He went misty-eyed for a brief moment. "Poor Froggit..."
He then cleared his throat. "Let's just say that a simple conversation is one of the things I'm after. But if you'd prefer I shut up and let you get yourself absolutely smashed, that's fine too. I'll still get something out of that; It'd be really interesting to see how you handle your alcohol, which I might just pay for. You won't even know I'm here I'll be so quiet. Promise!"

"But, uh, before I have to make good on that, I just have to say... You'd be real surprised how quickly word gets around in a little place like this. Some weird black-furred Keidran (I think?) comes marching in, and people tend to start talking."

He was paying absolutely zero attention to the other individual trying to speak to him.
E͎͖̯̱̻͡r̲͇r͢҉͈͚ò͈̹̰̩̺͓̝̘̟̕r̨̡̺̥̲̰͕̭̬:̵͙̦̟̮̖̯̞́͢ ̴̛̞̙͙̠̲̝̟S̵͎̼̖̜̯͕̺͔̀i̶͉̟̝̻͕̺g̢̤͕n̴͈̩̝͓͖̹͕̟͢a͕̺̱͞ț̸̛͓u̢̥̣̣̰̪ͅr̨̠͙̯̣̣̘̠ḛ̡̨̟̗̥̰̱̻ͅ ̻̮̼̥͕̼͉͎u͏͔̳n͏͔͈̭̭͟a̮͕͖̲͕͙͔ͅv̺̦̼̥̭͙a͏҉̦̺̫̯i̝̙̳̜l̴̡̳̥͠a̢̘̬͈͢ͅb̶̶̦͉͙́ḷ̸̙̙̳̩̥́e͔̪̳̦̫͚̪̹ͅ.͖̠̗͔̖̞ͅ

The Rookie
Grand Templar

#8 Post by The Rookie »

A faint bell rang from the front of the store, indicating that someone had come through the front door. “Excuse me a moment, Tobais. Duty calls.” Malcolm said, taking a final sip of tea before placing the cup down and heading out to the main room. As Malcolm opened the door separating his store form his practice , he noticed a strange woman searching his wears. Malcolm went to go greet the customer, but before he could even make a step in her direction, her cloak flew open exposing her equipment. An act she seemed most embarrassed by.

Malcolm was used to this of course. Rarely a day went by where somebody came in armed to the teeth searching for healing ointments or bandages. What did surprise the apothecary was the woman’s reaction to being exposed, running like a bat out hell uttering some strange gibberish as she did.

Malcolm stood perplexed in the mouth of the door way. Unsure of what had just occurred. "Well then... That's a first." Malcolm said to himself quietly.
Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Kieth

#9 Post by Kieth »

The golden marked hybrid tapped his nail alomg the wooden top of the bar as he tried to think about what he would do next...his drinking mood was slowly being spoiled and frankly he had to leave pretty soon to go and see a certain someone. And as the woman who had taken aim with her bow and arrow moments before arrived to join him at the bar asking if they could talk if she bought food Julius could feel his tail flick behind him. Looking over to Phaing and the coin she held to him, Julius narrowed his eye and shrugged. "Eh, looks more like a piece of old jewelry rather than a piece of currency. You'd have to ask her." Julius replied, pointing at the bartender who was handing him his room key. He reached out and took it into his hands, glancing back to the blue cloaked man as she suddenly told Julius he wanted 'dissection'. Julius's expression remained still and judging as the man continued to explain himself...His ear twitching in annoyance before shaking his head and standing from his seat.

"And just like that ya lost me mate...I'm just gonna go now...also." Julius popped his arm out with a quick jerking motion. Forcing a kuni blade to slide out of his sleeve and into his hand, sticking the pointy end mere inches from the 'wizards' eye with deadly precision as the wolf stared him down with his vibrant golden eye.

"I would strongly suggest...that whatever you were thinking...and whatever you 'are' thinking...that you rethink it before this here blade finds its way into your brain. Because at this moment i am feeling very, very threatened. And when i feel threatened blood will be spilled." Julius growled deeply, his eyes unwavering as he lifted his hand and the blade slid back into his sleeve. Quickly reverting back to his playful self as he just threw his head back and cackled. "Or who knows maybe i just misinterpreted all that [censored] you said as menacing. I'm not fond of being a test subject and it sounded like that you were going to study me like i am some kind of animal...and if that is what you where meaning." Julius explained, turning his back to him and slowly walking towards the stairs. "Then you best stay out of my way...cheers mate. Pleasure meeting you humans." He quipped cheerfully, stepping up those wooden stairs and sighing deeply. He was feeling rather sorry about what just transpired since the lady wanted to chat with him as well. But one action could ruin the fun for everyone...besides. He would moat likely see her again. If this place was indeed a 'small town.'

Phaing
Master

#10 Post by Phaing »

"Jewelry?"
Phaing shrugs, its pure silver, maybe a little fancy, but common enough where she came from and those are just Garnets for the eyes. But she smiles at the mention of Rooms to be had in this place, and slides the coin across the bar to the woman behind it. "Are baths included with that?"
Days on that River Barge left her smelling a bit rank, even to herself.

She nearly panics when the Golden Keidran walks away. She holds it together when she sees him go up the stairs, instead of out the front door. A room was the right idea, let the haggling begin.

But first... she plants herself in the path of someone that might not know when to back off.
"I'll talk to ya." She says to the Mage/Jester, trying to make her posture and voice seem casual, and failing. She feels more like she did when she drew down on the Thugs, and it shows. "You maybe wanna talk to me, too, scared as you are. Yeah, yer' scared out of your wits, gotta assume so, anyways." She stands an arm's length from the bar, left hand on it and her right hand under the cloak on... something. "I've been scared like that, lots of times, since I was a kid even. Babbled like that too, so yeah, I hope I'm right 'bout that, maybe I can help you stop being afraid somehows, eh? I want to think your terrified of something or just super-excited .... because if'n yer ain't, then I gotta assume from yer conduct that you are truly the dumbest basterd I have ever met in my life. You ain't 'zactly that, are ya?"

No more weapons or hysterics, that's all she has if he keeps ignoring her.
But hopefully, she gave that Golden one time to lock the door behind him.
Perhaps there are other Keidran about, and perhaps she will be more acceptable after a good washing-out.

-George Bernard Shaw

Stryder221
Templar GrandMaster

#11 Post by Stryder221 »

"Reacts quickly with violence, ignoring possible consequences of such. Likely to get in trouble with guards due to misunderstandings, even in neutral territories." The "wizard" had muttered to himself as the scratching of a quill could be heard, before it abruptly stopped as he gave a little smile.
He then chuckled, a bead of sweat visible on his forehead. "But when I feel threatened. I tend to talk a lot and say stupid thingstryingtoseembraveandIactuallyreallydon'tlikewolvestheirteetharescarydidImentionyouhaveniceteeth?"

After that breathless sentence, he cleared his throat, about to say something else when his "target" had left. At which point he sagged in disappointment, his chin hitting the bar.
"Meet an interesting Keidran and you muck it up in the first minute. Nice moves, Lei... The hell were you thinking...?"

He barely even reacted to the darker girl nearby. "Are you trying to comfort or intimidate me? Neither is working, I'm afraid."
As he let out a huff, Lei's glasses suddenly shined opaque as the light seemed to hit it oddly. "And would you mind taking your hand off of what I assume to be a weapon of yours?"

Apparently, he wasn't quite as oblivious as he'd seemed.

Phaing
Master

#12 Post by Phaing »

Stryder221 wrote:....
He barely even reacted to the darker girl nearby. "Are you trying to comfort or intimidate me? Neither is working, I'm afraid."
As he let out a huff, Lei's glasses suddenly shined opaque as the light seemed to hit it oddly. "And would you mind taking your hand off of what I assume to be a weapon of yours?"

Apparently, he wasn't quite as oblivious as he'd seemed.

No indeed, and apparently he can cast spells that allow him to see through her clothes. That's embarrassing, for the sole reason that she was clutching at the hilt of her scimitar without realizing it... in the same way that a little girl might clutch at a Teddy Bear or some such garbage.
Phaing lets go of it and nods to him, her mood and accent both mellowing out. "Failed on both counts, eh? We must be having a failure to communicate, and as I gave out my name but yours is still not said, I should stop before I make another enemy."

Phaing turns again to the woman behind the bar, and negotiates for a room for tonight, and a bath immediately. The later is probably in a shed out back, and she will offer to do it all herself including heating the water up if that's what it takes to help expedite things. It won't be a long, luxurious soak, Phaing will be changing into something in her pack after she scrubs herself clean and does her best to make herself look more acceptable to the people of this town.

Now, she is not turning her back on this curious Mage, if he wants to continue the conversation she will too. He will just have to follow along as she takes care of her business.

-George Bernard Shaw

Kieth

#13 Post by Kieth »

That golden eye seemed to narrow tightly as he pulled his room key from his pocket and examined it. Reading the number engraved into the key that seemed to say '1'. And as he reached the top of the stairs he took a pause and looked over the several doors on each side of the hall...funny enough, the first room was on his left at the top of the stairs...excellent. While being secluded in the back of the tavern may of been suitable for some, Julius did not like the idea of those thugs attempting to sneak in through a window or anything. With a room perfectly in view of anyone within the main lobby, there would most likely be witnesses should anything happen. Taking the key and walking up to the door, he unlocked it and strolled inside...his room had a large bed, a wooden round table, and...the other typical things. Julius shrugged and shut the door behind him, taking the key and locking himself in, he sighed deeply and ran his fingers through his hair.

"Well...that was a thing." He growled, walking over to the table and reaching into his pockets and sheaths. Putting his canteen on the table as well as several hidden blades he had in his sleeve and jacket. His money, and anything that that was in his jacket was placed on the table...when he finished, Julius took off his jacket and folded it along the chair. Leaving nothing but a tight undershirt that hugged his...lean and rather feminine frame. Stretching out and yawning deeply, he slowly walked over to the window and peered outside into the busy streets of the town. Kedrian scattered here and there...those gang members wandering around the outside of the tavern, clearly salty they had been kicked out of their hangout.

Julius scoffed a laugh and pulled down the blinds, leaving the room mostly dark as he headed towards a mirror planted in a wall. Looking at his reflection casually before running his fingers along his eyepatch that hid his amethyst eye. Frowning strongly, he quickly turned away and just stuffed his hand into a pouch hooked onto his belt...pulling out a bottle similar to his canteen. Holding it up and shaking it a bit only to hear the swishing of liquid...he was running out. And with his symptoms growing worse with each passing season Julius needed to find more...

A deep growl erupted in his chest. Slamming the bottle down and plopping down on the edge of the bed. Julius reached up and touched a pendant around his neck. His expression softening as he wrapped his fingers around it, bringing it up to his lips to kiss lightly.

"Ni'vera rach brosh'neit." He muttered in his native tongue.

Stryder221
Templar GrandMaster

#14 Post by Stryder221 »

"Well, at least you're not shoving assassin blades in my face and threatening to do something stupid, so that's a plus. Flippin' wolves... Think they're above the law and can kill all willy nilly..." Now that the tension had died down somewhat, the "jester" couldn't help but feel a bit bitter despite himself.
The fact that it was a wolf wasn't helping matters much either, and the tone in his muttering might have been letting on something a bit more personal than just not liking that particular race of Keidran. With a sigh, he then shook his head.

"My name's Lei. Short for Oalei. I only wish we could've made better first impressions, miss... Fang?"

The bespectacled man, Oalei, merely observed as the small girl went about her business. It didn't take long for him to notice that she seemed highly reluctant to let him out of her sights; or more specifically, turn her back to him.
"Oh, please, It's not like I'm gonna pull a knife or anything like that. I'm not stupid enough to pull a weapon even if I did carry one. Go ahead and do your thing; I'll just be staying here, questioning my life choices."

Phaing
Master

#15 Post by Phaing »

Stryder221 wrote: "My name's Lei. Short for Oalei. I only wish we could've made better first impressions, miss... Fang?"
"No... Fang."
And yeah, sounds the same to you, must be her wonky accent, and it doesn't help that she calls you "Lee" the first couple of times. After a few minutes of back & forth she leans over and writes her name out in the margin of whatever you are scribbling notes on.
"Haven't had this much trouble making myself understood since I had that run-in with a caravan master down south. I think he took exception to the way I would follow him around lighting his horse's farts on fire."

Stryder221 wrote:The bespectacled man, Oalei, merely observed as the small girl went about her business. It didn't take long for him to notice that she seemed highly reluctant to let him out of her sights; or more specifically, turn her back to him.
Indeed, it seems the best way to keep Lei from harassing that Wolf, and she treats it as nothing special even if he follows her right into the bath-house. She chats away about the ship that brought her here from Fangore, a land so far away that it's in the southern half of this world, and such a mean place that the Government may as well be run by Crime Lords.
She also has some rather pithy observations about how slip-shod shipping, land-transport and river traffic is in this land... which she refers to as "the Colony." This exact area is something she calls the "frontier".
Stryder221 wrote:"Oh, please, It's not like I'm gonna pull a knife or anything like that. I'm not stupid enough to pull a weapon even if I did carry one. Go ahead and do your thing; I'll just be staying here, questioning my life choices."
And so she does, stripping down right in front of him as if it means nothing (IF he follows her)... or rather, that she herself means nothing. And Phaing is not particularly nice to herself, you have seen men treat their horses more gently than she is with her own body. But her ruthlessly efficient ways of bathing will make this moment pass quickly. Her body is the same nut-brown all over, and a particularly astute man might see that her small stature is in part due to chronic malnutrition at some point in her childhood. That ended in time for her to fill out somewhat, but her waist is still so narrow that even Lei could probably surround it entirely with just his hands and a light squeeze.

Phaing's demeanor is also unchanged no matter what she is wearing, or not wearing, in front of a stranger. When she is done with the water, she steps out of the tub and takes a small dagger out of the water (how it got there is something Lei probably missed) and spends more care cleaning it off than she did on herself.
She nods at the tub while she rummages through her pack for fresh clothes. "Still warm, if you want it."

Something said out loud-
"If I heard your earlier mumbling correctly, you were upset with yourself about how you handled everything, but right after that you came across to me all brave-ish as if I what I was doing matter so much. How do you do that? "
And the weird thing is her tone, as if she has asking for tips on cooking or some such thing.
"Funny town, this. First place I have been where drawing a weapon didn't get me in trouble right away, or at least a bunch of mocking cat-calls."

-George Bernard Shaw