TwoKinds: Chaos Era

Play around with roles and whatnot in here, I suppose.

Moderator: Moderators

The Rookie
Grand Templar

Re: TwoKinds: Chaos Era

#31 Post by The Rookie »

Malcolm turned to Phaing, feeling a tad uncomfortable with how he handled the situation. However, now that the woman stood at an arms length, it seemed he had gotten his point across.

"Of course, miss. They'll be just fine there." Malcolm said, watching as the girl placed down her belongings and begin to inspect his large collection of glasses filled with colourful liquids.

Malcolm returned his attention to Oalei, offering out his hand. "I'm Malcolm. Malcolm Summers."

"Now, since you've mentioned you're a fan of the magical arts, I assume you have a mana crystal on you?" Malcolm asked, reaching into his pocket to retrieve what seemed like a small well rounded glowing pebble.
Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Stryder221
Templar GrandMaster

#32 Post by Stryder221 »

Oalei happily took the Healer, Malcom's hand with his right, shaking it with a good amount of enthusiasm. After releasing, he then snatched his quill, dipped it into the ink, and soon scribbled down the name.

Summers, huh...? Sounds just a bit familiar, though I'm not sure why. Never seen him before, I'm sure, so that can't be it.

"I'm afraid not." He had admitted upon laying eyes on the small crystal. "I've learned how to draw mana from the earth much in the same style the Templar would, though not at very large scale. Ever since then, mana crystals had always seemed... Well, I didn't think they were necessary from that point on."
The young scholar then began to look uncomfortable. Nervous, even. "That's... not going to be a problem, is it?"
E͎͖̯̱̻͡r̲͇r͢҉͈͚ò͈̹̰̩̺͓̝̘̟̕r̨̡̺̥̲̰͕̭̬:̵͙̦̟̮̖̯̞́͢ ̴̛̞̙͙̠̲̝̟S̵͎̼̖̜̯͕̺͔̀i̶͉̟̝̻͕̺g̢̤͕n̴͈̩̝͓͖̹͕̟͢a͕̺̱͞ț̸̛͓u̢̥̣̣̰̪ͅr̨̠͙̯̣̣̘̠ḛ̡̨̟̗̥̰̱̻ͅ ̻̮̼̥͕̼͉͎u͏͔̳n͏͔͈̭̭͟a̮͕͖̲͕͙͔ͅv̺̦̼̥̭͙a͏҉̦̺̫̯i̝̙̳̜l̴̡̳̥͠a̢̘̬͈͢ͅb̶̶̦͉͙́ḷ̸̙̙̳̩̥́e͔̪̳̦̫͚̪̹ͅ.͖̠̗͔̖̞ͅ

The Rookie
Grand Templar

#33 Post by The Rookie »

"Not at all. If anything that'll be an advantage to you." Malcolm said giving a quick smile and placing the stone on the shelf next to Oalei's ink pot.

"Now, this is just going to be a simple healing spell." Malcolm explained as he rolled up a sleeve an pulled out his short sword from it's sheath on his thigh. "This one should only be used on open slicing wounds, or small puncture wounds. To preform this on large chunks of missing flesh might just do more damage, and it has zero affect on internal injuries. Using this on a puncture wound that's hit a vital organ is counter productive, since a surgeon will need to reopen the wound to fix it properly. That said, it'll help slow the bleeding if you're out on the road a long way from help."

"Now, please watch this carefully. I'd hate for you to miss anything." Malcolm took the blade in his hand an pressed in firmly against his forearm before pulling it downward, causing blood to quickly trickle down the blade. Malcolm pulled down quickly, letting out a wince of pain as he did. Now baring a 15cm wound on his forearm.

"Now as you can see. The two sides of the wound on my arm have been separated by, well the wound. What I'm going to do, is bring both sides back together at the site of the injury." Malcolm explained, hoping that Oalei wasn't the squeamish type. "To do this, you need to concentrate on the flesh around the wound, as well as the tissue beneath. Especially the blood vessels, since we're trying to stop the bleeding here."

Malcolm placed his gladious down and quickly grabbed the mana stone. Chraging the stone's energy, Malcolm cast the spell upon the affected area "Close vulneribus!" and before their eyes, the wound closed together and vanished. Malcolm even rubbed away some of the blood on his to show that there wasn't any sign of the wound at all. "And that's how it's done." Malcolm said, walking over to a cabinet to grab a rag to clean up his arm and sword. "Now it's still going to hurt like hell for a few minutes, but it's nothing a bit of sleeping wart can't fix."

Malcolm cleaned his blade, putting it back in its sheath. "So, where there any questions?"

Stryder221
Templar GrandMaster

#34 Post by Stryder221 »

Oalei had been scribbling frantically in his journal, stopping to glance at Malcolm every few seconds to make sure he wasn't missing much.
He didn't flinch at all when the healer had drawn blood. If anything, it only made him more excited, if only to see the healing in action.

"I see...!" The scholar then announced, never taking his eyes off of his writing. "Essentially the superior method of sewing a wound shut! This spell doesn't leave scars, I assume?"

However, before the healer could answer, Oalei had abruptly stopped, staring at him curiously.
"Summers... Hm... You know, your name's been rattling around in my head for the last few minutes, and now I simply can't help but feel I've heard it somewhere... Is there some... noteworthy action you may have done in the past to have gained some sort of fame, if only locally? I do not mean to pry into something that might not be my business, but this is really beginning to bother me."
E͎͖̯̱̻͡r̲͇r͢҉͈͚ò͈̹̰̩̺͓̝̘̟̕r̨̡̺̥̲̰͕̭̬:̵͙̦̟̮̖̯̞́͢ ̴̛̞̙͙̠̲̝̟S̵͎̼̖̜̯͕̺͔̀i̶͉̟̝̻͕̺g̢̤͕n̴͈̩̝͓͖̹͕̟͢a͕̺̱͞ț̸̛͓u̢̥̣̣̰̪ͅr̨̠͙̯̣̣̘̠ḛ̡̨̟̗̥̰̱̻ͅ ̻̮̼̥͕̼͉͎u͏͔̳n͏͔͈̭̭͟a̮͕͖̲͕͙͔ͅv̺̦̼̥̭͙a͏҉̦̺̫̯i̝̙̳̜l̴̡̳̥͠a̢̘̬͈͢ͅb̶̶̦͉͙́ḷ̸̙̙̳̩̥́e͔̪̳̦̫͚̪̹ͅ.͖̠̗͔̖̞ͅ

Phaing
Master

#35 Post by Phaing »

The Rookie wrote: Malcolm cleaned his blade, putting it back in its sheath. "So, where there any questions?"
You were not all that interesting to her until you laid your own arm open. That is not how a huckster sells his wares!

Phaing is astonished, standing there perfectly still and staring at him with wide eyes as if she had just seen a miracle. Magic like that simply does not exist where she comes from. She puts a hand up over her mouth and silently repeats those two words to lock them away in her memory. What little she knows of magic wasn't taught, it was stolen through careful observation and daring, secret experimenting when nobody was around.
The idea that people would be willing to share, to teach such things for a few coins is incredible.

"Do you need the crystal?" she blurts out despite her earlier resolve to keep out if it.

And if these gentlemen allow her an opening; "Look, I know that the words are just a memory-jog, something to put your mind in the right frame... so , what are you thinking when you do that?" She puts coin of her own on the counter, a gold one about the size and shape of her own thumbnail.* "I really must know how that works!"

*the coin is small but thick, and oval. One side has a wavy pattern like ocean waves and pictographs, the other has some seemingly random marks stamped into it here and there... a canny fellow might know them as assayer's marks made to verify the quality of this 1/4 oz. "coin".
"If you’re going to tell people the truth, you'd better make them laugh; otherwise, they will kill you."

-George Bernard Shaw

The Rookie
Grand Templar

#36 Post by The Rookie »

"Please please one at a time." Malocolm said, trying to answer the barrage of questions as best he could without being interrupted.

Malcolm started with Oalei "Yes, this method is preferable over stitching in some circumstances. The majority of the time I would prefer to use stitches, simply because a piece of twine and a poultice works just as well for healing a cut like this and is much cheaper. The other thing is the deeper wounds can still remain 'open' under the skin if the spell hadn't gone deep enough. Stitching allows the carer to know for certain just how deeply the tissue is being joined back together." he explained, tuning his attention over to Phaing.

"Yes, you do need a source of mana to conger a spell like this. Although, some humans posses the ability to gather mana from the surrounding area, most require stones like this one." Raising the stone in his hand so that Phaing could see it more clearly, before turning back to Oalei.

"No, the magical alternative rarely leaves a scar on the patient. That said, I'd prefer to be certain my patients are being properly looked after medically, not worrying about weighing up the comedic affects of the treatment." Malcolm turned back to Phaing once again. Man, this was getting exhausting.

"You have to concentrate on bridging the two sides of the affected tissue, and the under lying blood vessels. What you're trying to do is reconnect the severed connections as best you can. That's what you need to concentrate on." Malcolm could see the strange coin from where he stood "I promised I'd explain how to do this spell for free, but I'll happily take that coin off your hands for a 3 mana stones and 2 potions of your choosing." Malcolm offered with a slight smile.

"Now I believe that was everyone's questions, yes?" but as he spoke, he was avoiding eye contact with Oalei. He'd hesitated to answer his question about his past and had hoped it was forgotten while he was was listing off the additional questions from Phaing. Not letting Oalei have a chance to interject, Malcolm turned his full attention to Phaing. "Now miss. What exactly where you after today?"

Phaing
Master

#37 Post by Phaing »

(sorry about my enforced absence!)

"That is all I'm after now, I must learn that spell... it is a dangerous life after all." She bends one leg at the knee and lifts her foot to behind her, and now has a slender knife in her hand, poised as if she is ready to slash her own forearm as Malcom just did.
"I have never needed those stones to do simple magic... and yhe simple stuff is all I'll ever be good for. So, just say the words?"
She wants this so badly she is trembling a little, and she is very ready to slice herself to make certain she can get this right.... however, she does notice that Lei has once again been trampled by her rampant enthusiasms.
"I'm so sorry Lei, tell you what; if you will teach me to speak your language, I'll teach you the spell i am using right not to pretend know your language."

And she does wince slightly as she says that, giving that kind of information away is not something a streetwise wench like her is supposed to do. But if she can learn to patch herself up it will be more than worth it.
"If you’re going to tell people the truth, you'd better make them laugh; otherwise, they will kill you."

-George Bernard Shaw

Transient Truth
Traveler

#38 Post by Transient Truth »

One of Tobias' ears twitched at the sound of the shop's bell ringing as someone entered and shouted for Malcolm's presence. The healer turned on his heals to quickly go greet the newcomer, leaving the basitin alone in the back room once again. After the last "potential customer" that walked in and left just as quickly, Tobias was curious to see just who could be now and peered over the top of the back counter with his ears twitching trying to listen in on the conversation.

It was nothing too out of the ordinary, the wolf Kiedran had a large assortment of herbs that Malcolm would be interested in purchasing for use in his practice and a small tidbit about a new arrival of a wolf causing a commotion in town. "I'll have to keep an eye out while in town or make plans to leave town a little more early than I originally intended to." The basitin thought. Then he came up in the conversation, nothing too specific about him and about why he was there but the wolf was quite excited at the possibility of meeting a real live Basitin. Upon hearing that Tobias ducked back down behind the counter ears falling flat in embarrassment, normally most humans and keidran he encountered often confused him as an odd looking keidran and he was forced to explain what he was exactly. Though it was pretty rare that anybody took such an interest in, Malcolm and his experiments aside.

"Thanks, Malcolm." The wolf said to Malcolm before he opened the door and into the back room.
The room was not unfamiliar to Quentin. He had been here several times before, helping the healer with his limited medical expertise.
A sweep of the room revealed no one, that is, until Quentin saw the Basitin crouching behind the counter.
"Hey there..." He said.
When the Basitin turned back to look at him, Quentin's mouth dropped open.
"Tobias?!" He said, eyes widening in surprise.

'Uhh hi... How do you know my name? Have we met before?"
The basitin asked standing up to face the towering keidran wolf.

It definitely caught Tobias off guard when the wolf said his name as if they knew each other, as far as the basitin knew this was the first time he had ever met this particular keidran. Not to mention that he rarely gave out his name and mostly kept to himself when passing through a town, so how did he find out about his name?

"Oh! Uh..." The wolf paused for a few seconds, apparently being stumped by the question, before grinning in a nervous way. "Eh... I heard your name when you are talking with Malcolm there!"
Quickly changing the topic, Quentin said.
"So... Can I please ask a few questions? It is nothing personal of any sort, I just wanted to know something about the Isles when you left. Are there any major changes in the infrastructure and changes in the Generals?"

"That's an oddly specific question..." Tobias said with some confusion in his voice. It was rare that anyone from outside the Isles knew how the Basitin leadership was structured, let alone their infrastructure. The basitin thought about it for and figured there wouldn't be any harm in telling the wolf what he knew. "I'm sorry, but there isn't much I could tell you about how the Basidian Isles have changed in the last two years I've been away. Malcolm may not have told you but I have some extensive memory loss. There's very little that I actually remember from more than two years ago when I arrived on the mainland. Hell, I just got back a small fragment a short time ago with some help from Malcolm. Sorry, but whatever your interest in Basitins is, but I'm the worst one to get any answers from." Tobias explained to the curious wolf.

"Anyways since you already know what my name is, why don't you introduce yourself?" [/quote]

The wolf seems to be a bit disappointed at Tobias' lack of knowledge of the Basitin Isles.
"Oh... I'm sorry about that..." Quentin said. Guess that he won't be able to remember me then... He thought.
"Oh! And my name is Quentin. It's nice to meet you." He said, before he froze again, apparently thinking about something.

"Nice to meet you Quentin, again sorry I couldn't be of more help to you." Tobias said, noticing the wolf's disappointment before he went deep into thought.

"If you don't mind me asking, but what's your interest in my people?" The basitin asked.

The wolf have been thinking of whether telling Tobias' his true name, as well as his true identity, is a good idea. Who knows? It may even reawaken some memories in Tobias, which may be instrumental in helping Quentin himself returning to the Islands.

The Basitin's words interrupted his thoughts.

"Oh?" He shook his head, as if he was awaking from a trance. "No... It is alright. Seeing one of your kind in person is a great treat after all. In fact, may I draw a picture of you?" He said as he opened his bag, searching for his notebook. "As to why am I so interested?" He repeated. "Well... I... I have always read a lot about your kind, and I've always admired the orderly society that you kind has, as opposed to the constantly warring Mainlands. I'm not quite a fighter myself." He said, chuckling. However, deep in his mind, Quentin knew that he had no love for the rigorous order in the Basitin society. However, it was not a good time to talk about it yet. However, his want for drawing a picture is indeed legit. He had mostly forgotten how his friend looked like, and it would be a nice time to start remembering.

"Ah, I guess that makes sense, my people aren't exactly known for traveling far beyond our island. And I guess it's alright for you to draw me, though you're the first person to ask me something like that." Tobias explained, slightly embarrassed at the thought of being the subject of a picture.

It wasn't too demanding of a request, a little out of the blue, but not something to got worked over for. Still Tobias wasn't sure as to why still agreed to it, there was something a little off about this wolf but nothing that raised any alarms for the basitin.
COUNTDOWN TO WIDE AWAKE AND PHYSICAL: ∞
Semper Vigilans - Ever Vigilant

Stryder221
Templar GrandMaster

#39 Post by Stryder221 »

"Whoa there..." Oalei had interrupted when his companion had pulled a knife, putting a free hand on the wrist holding the blade.
"It's more complicated than just saying a few words and letting the magic do the rest, as you've figured out. You need to know exactly what you're doing, or else you could end up in a worse shape."

Phaing's next words, however, seemed to stun him.

"Y... Common human isn't your native tongue?" He asked in bewilderment. The scholar's expression then seemed to harden with determination. "Spell or no spell, you need to learn basic human language. I'll help however I can, though I'm unsure how good of a teacher I'd be."

For the moment, Malcolm seemed to have been completely forgotten.

The Rookie
Grand Templar

#40 Post by The Rookie »

Malcolm too was quick to raise a hand to stop Phaing from harming herself, but Oalei was closer and prevented the young woman from making a dangerous mistake. Stepping back to let the pair talk amongst each other a moment, while nodding in agreeance with what Oalei was saying about the dangers of mishandled magic.

After Phaing's announcement, Malcolm too was confused by the girl's lack of knowledge of the human language, although it explained why he couldn't understand her when she ran out of the shop earlier that morning. His curiosity only heightened when he learnt that her ability to communicate thus far was entirely through the help of a translation spell.

Curious as to how exactly Phaing's spell worked, Malcolm asked a short phrase in Low Keidran "Can you still understand me if I switch tongues?" waiting to see if she responded.

Phaing
Master

#41 Post by Phaing »

Stryder221 wrote:"Whoa there..." Oalei had interrupted when his companion had pulled a knife, putting a free hand on the wrist holding the blade.
"It's more complicated than just saying a few words and letting the magic do the rest, as you've figured out. You need to know exactly what you're doing, or else you could end up in a worse shape."
"I knew it!"
For the first time she flashes Oelie a genuine smile, he is smart enough to know what she meant and decisive enough to take action when it is needed. She also will not even glance at his grip on her arm, as some other folk might. Phaing simply flips the dagger to her other hand and slips it back into the inverted sheath on her shin.
"So, how does one learn from those that want to teach?"
Stryder221 wrote:"Y... Common human isn't your native tongue?" He asked in bewilderment. The scholar's expression then seemed to harden with determination. "Spell or no spell, you need to learn basic human language. I'll help however I can, though I'm unsure how good of a teacher I'd be."
"Oh, of course not. I was on a ship for 7 months just to get to this colony." sigh, "You are right, I should have learned some more of your language, I only know bits and pieces... but the sailors that could have taught me, I didn't like what they wanted from me to teach. They were..." she searches for the right term; "Yucky."

"You can teach me, you are an educated man, yes?" She reaches out and flicks his robe. "You are not just pretending to be Sargon junior or anything, real mages have to be smart and you speak better than I do. Spells don't make me speak more nicely, just understandably. I'm just as dunder-headed as ever about conversing with people."
The Rookie wrote: Curious as to how exactly Phaing's spell worked, Malcolm asked a short phrase in Low Keidran "Can you still understand me if I switch tongues?" waiting to see if she responded.
"Huh, what?" Then she waves her hand. "No! No more spells, just one at a time, please! You can teach it, I hope?" She nods at the gold coin on the counter, she hasn't forgotten about it.
(and no, its the only one she has, so nothing to compare with it)
"If you want that, show us how your spell must be thought-out."

-George Bernard Shaw

The Rookie
Grand Templar

#42 Post by The Rookie »

Malcolm eyed off the strange coin, unsure of it true value. From the way this girl spoke about the importance of holding magical secrets close, she must be offering a small fortune.

"I'm sure your friend, Oalei here, would make an excellent teacher, but if you insist." Malcolm shrugged. "It's not as easy as snapping your fingers and all is well. These things take time and practice, and I'm certainly not going to let you test out your spells on anyone just yet."

Malcolm walked over to his counter and retrieved a small black tomb, with an emblem of a winged sword entangled by two serpents on the cover. "I'm willing to sell you this, a tomb on the basics of the healing arts." Malcolm said, placing the book in Phaing's palm. "Inside you'll find everything you'll need to know about healing a minor flesh wound, as well as a few special notes added through out by yours truly."

Malcolm turned to include Oalei in the conversation. "Now if she can't speak the language, I'm going assume she's going to have trouble reading it. Luckily, you'll be there to help her with this." giving the man a tap on his shoulder and a smile. "Not only can you read, but I assume you'll be able to translate a lot of the magical jargon for her as well."

"Now, once you've understood the theory behind these spells, I want you both to come back and if I'm convinced you're ready, we'll go through them together in a safe environment."

Phaing
Master

#43 Post by Phaing »

The Rookie wrote: Malcolm walked over to his counter and retrieved a small black tomb, with an emblem of a winged sword entangled by two serpents on the cover. "I'm willing to sell you this, a tomb on the basics of the healing arts." Malcolm said, placing the book in Phaing's palm. "Inside you'll find everything you'll need to know about healing a minor flesh wound, as well as a few special notes added through out by yours truly."
She stares at him with open-mouthed wonder.... which may seem over the top for such an occasion, aa he understands things.
"For me... us I mean? Wow, who are you?"
At the back of her head is the idea that it must be a short book, or a short section else they are looking at a long stay in this town with a borrowed book. Much more relevant is this; "But, you don't know me, and you don't seem to know Lei. Why?"
The Rookie wrote:Now, once you've understood the theory behind these spells, I want you both to come back and if I'm convinced you're ready, we'll go through them together in a safe environment."
She smiles at Oelei again. "Looks like I should be really grateful I met you instead of that other guy ....hmm, probably more so than you are to have met me. I can teach you the translation spell in return for this." She glances at Malcom, "You too, if that Tekili-Li isn't the right price." She nods at the coin, which has no more intrinsic worth than any other 1/4 ounce of pure gold.

-George Bernard Shaw

Stryder221
Templar GrandMaster

#44 Post by Stryder221 »

[Ok, wow, I'm terrible. Sorry for the long delay.]

"Wow... I mean, just... You really know how to keep customers coming back, don't you? Grateful would be an understatement. And the reading? I said I'd help, and that's what I'm gonna do."
Even if it was just a basic tome, Lei still had one of the biggest grins on his face. Not only will he get his hands on a spell tome at little to no cost to him, but he gets to learn a translation spell as well!

Of course, he'd still have to work for it. Teaching a language, spoken and written, to someone whose knowledge of it was minimal... That was gonna be a chore, especially since he felt that he was better at being the student rather than the teacher... But by the masks, was he going to try!

He didn't need to stress out about that wolf; This scholar's day was looking brighter and brighter by the minute!

The Rookie
Grand Templar

#45 Post by The Rookie »

The Rookie wrote: "But, you don't know me, and you don't seem to know Lei. Why?"
"Simple. The pair of you seem to have an appreciation for magic. Not three minutes ago you were scribbling wildly in your journal, and you were willing to carve into your own arm in the pursuit of learning. That's commitment." Malcolm said smiling, pleased with the pairs reaction. "It's a nice change from the usual wolf who comes in asking for flea powder or a cure all for a simple stomach ache."

Malcolm tapped twice on the tomb in Phaing's hands "Now this book covers a lot of the basics. This means, cuts, bruises and light burns. Basic first aid with magic really." he went on. "I know it's only a short book, maybe a little over 300 pages, but it's got a fair bit of knowledge packed in there."

Malcolm walked back over to the counter, picking up the strange coin and inspecting the inquisitive markings. "This will cover the book, no worries." Malcolm said, flipping the coin in to the air with his thumb and snatching it as it fell back down. "But I'm afraid I'll have to ask a little more for the hands on training." Malcolm said in a slightly sombre tone "Not only do I have to organise some materials, but it'll mean taking time away from the shop. I'm sure you two understand."

Malcolm was clearly feeling a bit hurt by the situation, but like he said earlier this was his job. Despite how quickly the pair had grown on him, he still needed to make a living some how.

"I tell you what. If we're including this gold coin here, I'd say I'd only need another 50 silver from each of you to balance the books. Would this be possible?"