Road to Ditteridge

Play around with roles and whatnot in here, I suppose.

Moderator: Moderators

Twippit
Grand Templar
Location: At a table top in a remote part of WA playing a high-stakes game of strip DnD

Road to Ditteridge

#1 Post by Twippit »

The Boska Inn & Tavern has always been a popular rest stop for weary travelers and hard-working locals alike. This afternoon is no different. Barmaids hustle across the floor, a bard plays a merry jig in the corner, laughs and drinks spill across the room.

Everything is pleasantly raucous.
Hey. Been a while. I'm on discord at Twippit#9645. See ya around sometime, maybe.

The Rookie
Grand Templar

Re: Road to Ditteridge

#2 Post by The Rookie »

Admits the sounds of laughter and cheerful conversation, a young basitin was pressing the inn’s owner if he had any work for the eager lad.

“I’m sorry, son”. The inn keeper said. “There’s just no work for a cook here at the moment.”
“Maybe you could try your luck in Tylerwynn down the road.” The inn keep muttered while he busied himself cleaning a tankard with an old cloth. “The tavern there might have something for ya.”

Little did he know John had already asked around in Tylerwynn. The three taverns and inns had all turned him away as well. “No work here, lad.” They’d say. His luck hadn’t improved upon coming to Foxhunt either, as this was the last inn in town, none of which were hiring.

Still, John put on a smile and thanked the inn keeper for his time. “Would I still be able to buy a room for the night, and maybe something to eat?” John asked placing a few silver coins on the bar. “That I can manage” the inn keeper chuckled.

A moment later the inn keeper returned with a key in one hand, and a bowl of stew in the other. Once again, John thanked him, placing the key in his pocket while he searched for somewhere to eat his meal. Despite the inn being relatively busy, John managed to find a table to himself. Pulling up a stool and resting his heavy travelling pack by his feet.

Starting to think leaving home was a mistake.” John muttered to himself as he lifted a spoonful of stew to his lips. “Ugh!” John looked away in disgust. “There’s little more than beef, fat and water in this.” He sighed “No work for a cook, huh?” he said while rolling his eyes.
Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Hamers8989

#3 Post by Hamers8989 »

teven walked in from the cold night's air, carrying a large backpack atop his shoulders. He walks over to the counter and ask the inn keeper for a room, handing the man a few silver coins in exchange for a small key.

Steven took his belongings to his new room before returning to grab something to eat. The inn keeper hands him a large wooden bowl filled with beefy stew as Steven places a few more coins down on the counter.

Scouting the inn for somewhere to sit, Steven spots a lone basitin sitting at a table in the corner.

He walks up to the table. A small smile on his face "Mind if I join you? Don't see many basitin here on the main land."

The basitin nods, gesturing to an empty seat across the table. "Be my guest."

Steven sat down, placing his bowl in front of him.

"Hang on." The bastitn called raising a hand. "Don't eat that."

"I'm sure it tastes horrible anyways. Do what you want to or with it." Steven responded.

y7h65
The Unpronounceable

#4 Post by y7h65 »

Alice strolled down the path with a frown on her face as she mentally marked off another name on her list. Another day, another dead end for her efforts. A quiet creak and the sound of plate shifting snapped her out of her funk as the massive wall of metal she had been following suddenly stopped, forcing her to pause as well.

"Is something the matter?" Alice asked, looking up to meet Griswald's unseen gaze; hidden behind obscured visor and the awkward angling of his head. A quiet shuffling noise accompanied the shaking of his head before he motioned at the inn they had been about to pass.

"An inn? It hardly seems as if it is time to retire for the day. There must be several more hours until the setting of the sun."

Another slow shake of the head as Griswald once again motioned to the inn. Alice stared at him, an incredulous expression crossing her face as she grasped why her guardian had stopped her in front of the inn. "You cannot possible be asking me to rest." She said, voice nonplussed. "We can still get much more done today! I do not need to rest I-"

Moving around Griswald as she spoke Alice failed to notice the puddle on the ground before she was already halfway to the ground. A rush of wind and a hand was already around her, keeping her from falling face first into the mud before pulling her back up. Glancing around and noticing the few stares directed at her, she could only curse her carelessness and her guardians uncanny ability to predict what she needed before. Even as she was trying to recover face from her latest mistake, Griswald was already moving into the inn. She could only mutter 'maybe for a bit' before following him into the Inn.

Entering the Inn was almost like entering a new world. From the rather quiet but bustling path to the relatively crowded and uproarious interior of the inn jostled her and, already, she was beginning to feel a bit more energized.If only she could find a table in this massive mess of a room. Glancing around the room, she spotted a mostly empty table with only a Human and a Basitin present. Much as she disliked having to share a table, there did not seem to be much choice. With a sigh she made her way to the table, Griswald following all the while.

"Good afternoon sirs," Alice said, greeting the two males present as soon as she got into earshot. "I see you have an empty spot at your table. May I join you?"

Meanwhile, Griswald stood tall behind Alice with his gaze slowly passing from the Human to the Basitin before moving back to the other. Even with his eyes hidden, one could feel a rather heavy presence behind the visor.
Local Type Moon Fanatic.

Lief
No hugs, I asplode.
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine

#5 Post by Lief »

Elizabeth stopped in front of the inn, eyeing the horizon. Still plenty of light for traveling, but she'd already walked through the previous night.

She turned and started towards the inn, deciding to get some rest in a real bed while she had the opportunity. Eliza gave her hood a light tug before entering, ensuring it would hide her most obvious features. Once inside, it took her little time to weave through the crowd, rent a room, and get a drink. Finding a seat proved to be more of a challenge, however.

The best option appeared to be a table with two humans and a basitin seated, with a suit of armor standing nearby. Elizabeth quickly strode over and rudely (Though quietly) sat at their table, resting her bow against it. In the back of her mind, she briefly considered the possibility she was interrupting some sort of shady dealing. The thought was quickly dismissed when she noted that only the armored figure was providing any suspicion.

Temporarily ignoring the other members of the table, Eliza raised her hand to call over a barmaid, intending to order food. Although judging by the body language of the basitin and human male, the food wasn't all that great. Regardless, food is food.

Somewhere across the room, someone shouted something about a missing drink.

Ranalf
Templar Inner Circle

#6 Post by Ranalf »

Miranda watched a crowd form at a table nearby, but didn't dare get closer from a mixture of feelings. The Knight guarding the curiously-speaking girl frightened her from approaching, the human didn't seem too...particular. The Basitin fascinated her, as she had never seen one in the flesh before, only read about them in books. Finally, the bowwoman, with a cloak on who walked over, planted herself down and was calling a barmaid, which made Miranda envy her rather...robust way of entering conversations.

Regardless, Miranda dismissed trying to find a seat with them and stood half in the shadows, drinking a bit of some heavier types of mead, not that it'd intoxicate her, due to her 'modifications' that made her a bit more than a little immune to alcohol. She was eating some normal bread, spending her cash lightly that she got through odd jobs.
Delicious.
Cool story.

The Rookie
Grand Templar

#7 Post by The Rookie »

John was so focused on the walking wall of steel in front of him that he almost didn't notice that his quiet table was suddenly crowed with strangers, not that he minded the company.

He gave a glancing smile at the new arrivals before looking down at his bowl. John realised he had to do something to salvage tonight’s dinner.

John leant down and started to rummage through the bag at his feet, emerging with some fruit, a knife and a small container filled with ground spices. “Right, let’s see what we can do”. John added some thin slices of apple and a few segments of mandarin to the brown broth, topping it off with a ground brown powder. John took a small sip of the stew, fearing the worst. “Man, that’s much better” he said with a relief.

John looked down the table towards the others. “Hey, if you’d like I’d be willing to share.” “I’m sure you’d prefer something with a bit of flavour.” John said with a cheeky grin. “I’m John by the way. John Wraithwood.

Hamers8989

#8 Post by Hamers8989 »

"Yes I would like some. Thank you for your generosity. Inn food is always bland and tasteless. Either way it's nice to meet you John. I'm Steven Byers." Steven replied to Johns offer of good stew. He poured some into a bowl and tried some. "Wow this is much better than anything I've had in a long while." Steven complemented and thanked John.

It was around this point that Steven noticed just how many people had crowded around the table. Then there was the lage imposing man that arrived with the female. Steven felt as if that man could snap him in half at a moments notice if anything happened to this woman.

Steven tried to shake the feeling that they were being watched. But this was a hard feeling to shake after his many years of travel. He had had to hone his senses so he couldn't shake this feeling. "Fellows I get the feeling we may be being watched right now. I don't know where from but I can't shake this feeling." Steven told his companions around the table. While he was talking he felt as if his eyes were drawn to the shadows in a corner of the room.

y7h65
The Unpronounceable

#9 Post by y7h65 »

"Thank you sir." Alice said as she pulled the chair out and sat herself down. Even sitting down made her feel more at ease and relaxed, bringing her attention to just how tired she was. She supposed that Griswald, being the soldier he was, somehow must have experience telling when someone was exhausted and how exhausted they were.

"Pardon the intrusion but there is an significantly insufficient amount of space in the inn currently. I am Alice Légataire, from Sarn. My companion here is Sir Riles the Bear. It is a pleasure to make your acquaintance."

While this was not her first time in any sort of public house or inn, this was the first time she had seen one so busy at this time of day. It was still somewhat overwhelming to be in tight vicinity with so many other people. Though she could conclusively say that they were definitely here for the alcohol and not the food. From how the rest of the people at the table were treating the stew, her sense of smell, and what she knew decent stew should look like; she could conclusively say that this was not a good stew.

Pausing, she stopped as she had not heard the familiar sound of chain against plate for several moments now. Which meant that Griswald had stopped moving. Looking up and behind her, she noticed Griswald staring at a shadowy corner of the bar with an unwavering head. Although his arms were crossed and he remained unearthly still, years of experience with her stalwart guardian allowed her to notice that he was tensing himself in preparation were something were to go wrong.

"I believe your intuitions may be correct, sir Byers." Alice muttered quietly to Steven before leaning back towards Griswald. "Is something the matter?"

Griswald responded by tapping his vambrace slowly once with one finger followed by three rapid taps. Alice kept her face straight as she decoded it mentally. Something was wrong and the problem was one unknown person.

"Are any of you expecting further company?" Alice asked, voice unconcerned.
Local Type Moon Fanatic.

Lief
No hugs, I asplode.
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine

#10 Post by Lief »

Elizabeth dipped her head towards the other members of the table as they introduced themselves. "Eliza," was her response.

After holding her hand up for a few moments more with no response from any staff, she let it fall to her side, where her satchel resided. Reaching in, she retrieved a piece of dried bread she'd purchased earlier and began eating that.

Eliza glanced around the table briefly, eyes settling on the shadow that was watching their table.

Ranalf
Templar Inner Circle

#11 Post by Ranalf »

When she heard one of them saying something about 'being watched', Miranda instantly realized she was staring and stopped, nervously eating her bread. She then decided to do nothing but wait and avert her eyes as they each started to look her way. She did her best to just eat her food, but it was a bit futile as she watched them out of the corner of her eye. She, however, didn't think any would spring for her...except maybe the fully armored male that she couldn't get a read on by their face.

Regardless, the more time passed, the more nervous she felt about their eyes being on her. It soon reached a breaking point and she decided to try to relieve the tension. She finished off her food and drink before taking a deep breath. She then walked towards the bar, making a beeline around their table, giving them a decent birth as she walked forward. She glanced over mid-way through but quickly shifted her gaze back as she realized she glanced over.
Delicious.
Cool story.

The Rookie
Grand Templar

#12 Post by The Rookie »

"Are any of you expecting further company?" Alice asked.
No, I don’t believe so” John said, almost like a whisper. Like the rest of the table, his eyes were now on the shadowy figure across the room.

Something about this person intrigued him. The way she stood alone, avoiding eye contact with the other patrons. “What’s she doing?” he muttered to himself.

John watched as the figure finished their food and walked towards the bar, attempting to act nonchalant, but still appearing out of place. As she walked, John managed to catch her glancing towards the table, matching her stare. In that brief second, the woman’s face was illuminated by a hanging lantern and John saw something in the woman’s eyes that erased all concern. She didn’t seem treating or mischievous. She was nervous, shy. The hooded woman turned away sharply and continued heading toward the bar.

Excuse me for a moment.” John said as he rose from his seat. “I’ll be right back

John walked over to the bar, standing only a few feet to the woman’s left. “Excuse me, miss. Can I help you with something?

Miranda jumped at the sudden attention, looking to her left suddenly. She saw he was the Basitin who was at the table. She adjusted her hood and did her best to hide her face a bit, though he'd still get a good look at the bandages wrapped around half her face. She then says, "S-sorry, h-help me with what?" she asked finally, in a rather soft voice as she turned from him back to the bar.

He hadn't noticed until now that the woman's face had been bandaged, leading John to assume the she was probably attempting to hide some kind of scar or birth mark. Something that he could clearly tell she felt self-conscious about.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to startle you.". Turning back, his arm outstretched toward the table were the others still sat. "We couldn't help but notice you staring at our table before, and I just wanted to come check if things were ok." John put on a smile and offered her his hand. "My name's John by the way."

Miranda shook her head a bit. "No, no...It's fine. I'm rather easily startled." she said, seeming to calm down a bit. "And...Well, I didn't really have a reason for staring. A crowd started forming and I indulged in people watching is all." she said, shifting a bit as she drank down some of her mead.

It was the same, strong blend as before, which left the Bartender nearby surprised as this small-framed female had not only ordered one mug of the stuff earlier, but to finish it and start drinking another with no obvious signs of getting drunk or discomfort. She soon set down the mug and took the handshake, "Um...Miranda. Nice to meet you..." she said, then pulled her hand back rather quickly, it also being covered mostly in bandages apart from her fingers.

Twippit
Grand Templar
Location: At a table top in a remote part of WA playing a high-stakes game of strip DnD

#13 Post by Twippit »

A young lad burst in the tavern in an obvious panic. "The wolves are attacking, the wolves are attacking!" he screamed.
A middle-aged man turned to squint at the boy. "What're you on about, Temmick?" he growled.
Temmick opened his mouth to answer, but was interrupted by a spear emerging from his abdomen. He fell forward without much fanfare, and behind him stood a grizzly and scarred wolf.
"This town has been reclaimed for its rightful owners, the wolves!" the wolf barked to the increasingly panicked townsfolk. "Come along, slaves," he sneered.

Panic ensued in the tavern.
Hey. Been a while. I'm on discord at Twippit#9645. See ya around sometime, maybe.

The Rookie
Grand Templar

#14 Post by The Rookie »

[Ye Gods!]” John instinctively reached for the axe on his hip with one hand while grabbing Miranda’s hand with the other. “Come on, we’ve got to move!” tugging Miranda in his direction.

Pushing through the panicked crowd with Miranda close behind him, John managed to get back to the table. “We’ve got to get out of here!” he yelled out, desperately trying to be heard above the screams of panicked patrons. “Bryers, we need to grab your gear from your room. You’re going to need it!

Miranda had barely a moment to register the attack was happening and think of what to do before being pulled by her hand. Her free arm immediately went up to keep her hood on as she was pulled suddenly towards the table.

Turning back to the others, John lightly pushed Miranda forward. “Take care if her. We’ll be back in a minute; meet us by the back door. If anything happens, run!

John lent down to his bag on the floor, untying his spear and throwing the pack over his shoulders. “Let’s hope I don’t have to use this.” He muttered while looking down at the weapon in his hands.

Bryers, let’s go!

Once he stopped, Miranda found herself being pushed forward towards them and immediately froze up. "W-wait, take care of me? What do you mean?" she asked, a little slow to the start up from both the news, being pulled along, then shoved in front of the table she had people watched.

She was thinking about whether she'd just run, and was nervously forming a plan in her mind as she stood there awkwardly in front of them amidst the chaos, her hands wrapped together in front of her as she looked at the people at the table nervously, her gaze moving from one to the next.

Hamers8989

#15 Post by Hamers8989 »

Steven stood up at Johns command "let's go and quick I have plenty of stuff we can take. Do you know where we will be going when we are on the run?" Steven asked starting to quickly head down the hall toward his room with the key already in his hand.

"No clue. Let's just focus on getting out of here!" Despite trying to sound authoritative, John was terrified. His hands began to shake as the sounds of screaming and blood shed was getting closer by the second. A few more minutes and the wolves would be on top of them.

"Hurry up! Which room is yours?!"

Running to a room in the hall steven quickly opens a door "this one here" he rushes in starting to grab his pack "can you grab the stuff on the dresser?" Referring to his sword and dagger which were sitting there. Putting the pack on his back he started walking to the door waiting for john.

"Here catch" John threw Steven's sword at him, while tucking the dagger into his belt. "Anything else?"

Catches his sword and straps the sheath to my pants. "No that should be it.I may have set a book down but that's not important all my important stuff is still in here" he pats his pack and heads out the door heading down the hallway toward the tavern assuming john is following him