Frozen Dead IC (Dead as a Doornail)

Play around with roles and whatnot in here, I suppose.

Moderator: Moderators

Lief
No hugs, I asplode.
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine

Frozen Dead IC (Dead as a Doornail)

#1 Post by Lief »

After a briefing that took far too long and seemed to have given more unnecessary backstory than details about your mission, squads one and two were sent to get their gear before going to the motor pool. The motor pool being a large hangar that was probably used to repair planes at one point, and is now used as a combination garage and repair/refuel depot for everyone's vehicles. Personal or otherwise.

As the members of Squad 1 arrived, they first noticed the distinct lack of anyone from the second squad. Either they had left already, or were running late. The next thing they noticed were the three HMMWVs sitting outside, two equipped with M240B GPMGs and one with a M134 Minigun. The engines were running and all the turrets were manned. Clearly, they were waiting on you. Leaning against the lead vehicle was, according to his uniform, a Captain in the US Army. Or had been, back when there was still a US Army.

As you approached he stood straight and called out. "X-Ray, right? We're tasked with getting you to the city in one piece. We're pretty well armed and it's a safe route, so expect smooth sailing. The roads aren't so great, however, so it'll take some time. Everyone pile in, three per Humvee. We're leaving soon as everyone's ready." When the Captain finished, he climbed into the driver's seat.

The convoy left five minutes before 10, with an expected stop at an outpost about ten miles out from the city before finishing the trip. Once you were on your way, the Captain informed everyone that you were expected to meet with one of the long-term recon units in the city and that they'd be in command. He also informed you that it was going to take about two hours to reach your destination, so you should get any last-minute gear checks or catch some shuteye during.

(Check this before posting, please.)

Ketzal
Templar GrandMaster

Re: Frozen Dead IC

#2 Post by Ketzal »

"Bandages...Antiseptic...Pain pills...pills. Pills, where's the damn...oh, there we go. Okay, pills..."

Jacquelyn continued to mutter to herself as she checked the contents of her vest's pouches for maybe the fourth time. She wouldn't call it nerves - despite being part of the group for maybe a week, she was no stranger to dealing with new settings and new faces. Maybe it was boredom? Habit?

...A distraction?

She sighed and put the medical items back in their respective pockets, laying her head back a bit. She closed her eyes and listened to the thrum of the humvee's engine as the vehicle sped along the highway behind the others. It's not like she wasn't grateful that the group had taken her in, but her mind couldn't stop going back to that damned night at the farmhouse.

Mom, pop...goddammit, please be okay...

She shuddered a bit as the sound of gunfire started echoing in her ears, a phantom noise from that fight that still haunted her sleep. She shook it off, already thumbing the flaps to her vest pouches again. She needed to do something, needed to occupy herself.

She looked to the man seated beside her. She'd gotten a briefing on him along with all the others, but she hadn't remembered much of the details besides his rank, skills and name. He didn't look like he was up for small talk, but at this point Jacquelyn was willing to distract herself with anything.

She cleared her throat. "Captain Rose. If it's alright for me to ask, how long have you been with this group, sir?"

Hotep the psychic
New Citizen

#3 Post by Hotep the psychic »

Yornifax joined x-rays first squad after they loaded into the humvees, his uniform was set and flapped some with every boot laden step. He went to the humvee with the m240 mount and scanned the vehicle, one soldier watching him as he did so. After checking the vehicle, he listened to the captain. "routes are never truly safe" he said not trusting the captain too much. He then slung his back pack on and entered the back of one humvee closing the door with a sounding thud.

The staff Sarge checked his equipment while on the road to their destination, he slapped his elbow and knee pads, opened and closed his bags in a silent equipment check then patted his vest checking his magazines. He pulled out the welrod from its holster, checked the safety the set it back. He didn't wear his mask or the mask cover, he was quiet, no thought on the mission or his team as he stared out the window in a daze, he daydreamed some 3 seeing the day him and the surviving SAS were swarmed in the city. He could see the stopped bushmaster and the other flipped on its side with the doors closed, inside men were eaten or dead as the rest fought. The humvee hit a small bump snapping him out of it. He looked at dewitt and the accountant in his humvee, somehow one seemed familiar to him.
As an engineer for war, a thief for hire, and a regular guy, one finds similarities to all these occupations in time.

InceptionBwaaa
Grand Templar

#4 Post by InceptionBwaaa »

To Moira, the drive seemed quiet. If anything mildly eventful did happen, she didn't notice. She fell asleep a short while after leaving, having double-, triple-, quadruple-checked her equipment. Everything had been there, and she could be at ease.

For the most part, her dreams were wild, too crazy to remember. She did, however, have one stable dream. It was more of a memory, wrapped in a layer of dream-like surrealness. The dream carried her back, back, to that first week of this pseudo-armageddon. She had been on a routine jog, like every morning. She stopped for a quick breather, and..

She woke with a start. The HMMWV hit a bump, and she'd hit her head on the wall behind her. She looked around at the others. They looked interesting, if not a little unfriendly. To make small talk, or not to make small talk... she thought. That is the question. She cleared her throat.

"So," she said to the man sitting next to her, who she remembered as one Randal Foley, "What is it you do?"
Certified Jojo fan
"She's a keeper!" ~Firekeeper
Stardust Crusaders banner coming soon.
Zelda x Palutena is the one true ship.

Tyendinaga
Templar Inner Circle

#5 Post by Tyendinaga »

For the most part, Captain Rose, not that one could quite call him that anymore, had spent the ride so far with his head rested on the window to his side and blankly looking off into the distance as they drove by. In Appearance he wasn't all too different from the other soldiers in the convoy, save for the fact he seemed to look like an entire firing squad masquerading as a single person when put next to the lady who occupied the seat next to him, though he paid her no mind. Most of his gear was already stuck to him, though, his assault pack sat between his legs and his rifle wasn't too far off, it itself on the floor facing the roof beside it. He almost seemed out of it, seemingly unaware of what was around him until...

"Captain Rose. If it's alright for me to ask, how long have you been with this group, sir?"

"Hmmm?" He blinked, and murmured, body jolting up straight in its seat, head turnt towards Jacquelyn, at which point he simply spent a moment looking and not answering. The lights were evidently on but it seemed no one was home. After a few more blinks it very rapidly occurred to him he had no idea who the [censored] he was looking at or that they were in the car to begin with. Slightly less rapidly was the realization of what exactly she had said.

"Oh. Right, People, Forgot that's a thing." He murmured, leaning forward a bit and putting his head against the chair front of him all the while rubbing his eyes. After a moment though he turned his head back, looking towards the lady beside him. He was beginning to remember her from before now, though he wasn't quite able to put a name to the face.

"Well, Firstly, you can stop with the ranks as those haven't applied to anything in months. We only got a scant bit of notice so, no, not very long as far as this little section of ours goes, And you?"

y7h65
The Unpronounceable

#6 Post by y7h65 »

Compared to the other men and women in the vehicle Yosef had a much more different air around him, one that was neither anxious or on edge. If anything, the air around him could be better described as peaceful or perhaps even paternal. This, of course, was contrasted by the paramilitary gear on his body. His rifle and vest had the symbol of an infamous private military corporation on it, his equipment and appearance just screamed 'mercenary', and the exact selection of his weapons were as makeshift as everyone else's. Still, with his rifle between his legs and pointed upwards, Yosef turned to look at the passing scenery of abandoned farmland, woods, and roads with a small sad smile on his face as he watched the crumbling remains of human civilization pass by.

Breaking his gaze from the scenery, Yosef took the time to take a quick look over at the kids in the vehicle with him. Well, they looked like kids to him at least. Was this how it started, turning old? People who are only thirteen years younger becoming like children in your eyes? What was next, a distinct dislike of modern music, desire for a boring day job, and a 401(k)? Chuckling quietly to himself, content to know that there was no way that he would become like that, he quickly compiled what he got off the few seconds he had of the two other passengers in the car.

To be honest, Yosef was much more concerned about the British kid than the American one. The American one seemed fine, no sign of anything outwardly that would be a cause for concern yet. Bottled emotions and fears were always a concern but there was not much he could do to pick up on those. The British fellow, however, was clearly zoning out and seemed to be dazed except for when he was going through his gear. Even someone such as himself could see that not everything was alright with that kid.

Though I may not be the most perfect example for that

Without further ado, Yosef turned his attention back to the British fellow before giving the younger man a warm smile and a short, friendly wave as the HUMVEE hit a bump and jolted him back to the land of the aware.

"Ne vous inquiétez pas, mon ami." He said warmly, the unaccented French rolling off his tongue flawlessly. "Relax, my friend. We are still alive. Have bad memories decided to come to haunt you?"
Local Type Moon Fanatic.

Geo_&_Bio
Grand Templar

#7 Post by Geo_&_Bio »

Staff Sergeant Grosvenor:

I sat in the Humvee as my head would bobble as the vehicle would move. The Humvee isn't good when it came to suspensions, they could quite almost feel the road in the most literal sense. It isn't like the Striker, where it was quite the opposite: smooth sailing even on roads with plenty of potholes and roughed up asphalt. It was lucky they had an extra kevlar waiting for me on the seat as it would probably be a very rough ride to our objective, though I am unsure they have the right head size. I usually don't like using kevlar helmets: too much wait flopping about when just a little loose, and if a little too tight I am unable to move my jaw. It's not like I'll keep the damn thing once the ride is over; I am going to drop it back in the humvee and pray that we'll use civilian cars next time. Maybe we wont have to take as long getting somewhere and I won't have to worry about a concussion or the vehicle rolling over. I don't think I have to worry about the road too much, as it seems from reports that the undead seem to corral themselves in larger numbers, so cities seem to be the big hotspots for zombies rather than lonely roads. The only real danger are bandits, or whatever one calls a crazed lunatic willing to pilfer people in a world of desperation. It would be worrisome if they knew how to make IEDs and planted them across the road, but I just can't see that happening in such a world.

I am currently reading a book that was just left here up at the front, probably the Truck commander's or the gunner's, perhaps? I am unsure, but the read was truly interesting; Fahrenheit 451was the name and to anyone who actually read the book or understand its meaning probably knows what the such intense temperature is needed for, or at least alluding towards. I was pretty sure my mother wanted me to read this book when I was in middle school, but apparently never got around to it. Apparently communist animals(something I could have skipped by reading about the Russian revolution and Stalin's Russia) and unnecessary, unreliable surveillance and super propaganda was far more important than the speech about the importance of books. I chuckled a little, something people will most likely not hear over the engine of the humvee, as I was soon reminded that one of the online book store/reader tablet was called the “Kindle”: how deliciously ironic.

I paused reading the book to let my eyes rest a little. I adjusted by prescribed shades as light was getting through. I looked to the left of me, it was the Captain. Not our captain, mind you, but the one taking us to our objective. I made a small but quite audible laugh as I thought, HA! Well it looks like the Officer is finally working for a living. I joked my NCO joke. Well, welcome to the actual army, sir, where you don't do your job and you hate your life for doing cool [censored]. I shook my head in quite the joking mood. I didn't want to say it to his face, he looked like he was far too busy to accept my [censored] and I didn't want to give the impression that I was a complete [censored], but here I am at the end of the world and I finally get the chance to without worrying about "article 15s" and "misconduct", not that I ever needed too but my point still stands. The world is in pieces and his life is convoying people up and down a road. I begin to overhear two people in the rear, Sergeant Foley from the same Army and Petty Officer Seigfried of the Navy. I hear about how Sergeant Foley was a scout and now is questioning the Petty Officer. My answer would have been “I hunt people for a living”. I decided to interrupt the conversation just a little and speak out towards Foley. “Oh, we are going to work just fine with each other, Sergeant. Give me a target and watch for the pink mist.” I cracked a smile if one could see it, I believe I have also gave a good audible chuckle for assurance. I decide to leave it as that and went back to reading the book.

(sorry if it feels a bit unconventional, I decided to do it in First Person viewpoint to add a bit more thought in the process.)
The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

InceptionBwaaa
Grand Templar

#8 Post by InceptionBwaaa »

Moira cracked a smile. She opened her mouth to respond, but was cut off.

“Oh, we are going to work just fine with each other, Sergeant. Give me a target and watch for the pink mist.”

Mhmm, she more felt than thought. She returned her attention to Foley.

"Well, when I first signed up, I was stationed at Dahlgren, Virginia, which is a hundred or so miles south of Washington. When the.." she paused, "outbreak started, I, and everyone else there, moved up to Washington. We walled off the Navy Yard and the surrounding 3 miles, and we waited. After a while, a few groups split off. I went with one. We made our way
Spoiler!
unknown direction
, a few others and I stayed in
Spoiler!
town
." She cleared her throat, peering out a window. "We were a.. team, of sorts. We would do scavenging runs. We even found a car, at one point. I still have it; it's the '87 Legacy in the motor pool. I got a flu, so I had to stay behind for a while. The, uh.. rest of the 'team' got into a firefight with some of the local, y'know.. armed populace. They didn't make it back. About a day later, this task force does another sweep of the city. They find me. I introduce myself. They let me in."

She coughed into her hand. "You know the rest." She thought for a moment. "In hindsight, that might have been more than you asked. Sorry," she finished with a light shrug.
Certified Jojo fan

y7h65
The Unpronounceable

#9 Post by y7h65 »

"No, no, no," Yosef responded to the American, laughing uproariously at the questions. "I am very rarely deployed on any large group missions. I am a, how do you say it? Tracker. I provide estimates as to how the hordes are moving, what direction they are likely to move in given the circumstances, and how best to deploy our forces given these potential zombie movements to best ensure they do not wander into a horde unprepared or unexpectedly. My non-combat abilities are very much more appreciated than my combat abilities."

Chuckling softly, Yosef cleared glanced at the two with a small mirthful twinkle in his eye. "Of course, my combat skills are nothing to laugh at." He paused for a moment as he appraised the two men, one hand cupping his face as he appeared to slip deep into thought before he snapped his fingers in recognition. Letting his hands come to rest on his laps he bowed slightly to the two other men. "But where are my manners? I am Senior Data Analyst Yosef Levy, formerly of CSIS and former sessional instructor of the esteemed McGill University. It will be my pleasure to be working with you two in the field today. May I ask to whom I have the pleasure of talking to?"

Bill responded first, maintaining as much eye contact as possible with Yosef. "Staff sergeant William DeWitt. A lot of people call me Bill, Clint, or Clinton. I handle most of the explosives, and some heavy counter fire." He reached into his backpack, between his legs on the floorboard and pulled out a bottle of his own whiskey. "I brew this in my spare time. Used to be a college student, learned all kinds of tricks to make food more edible in home ec. It may not be amazing, but it's pretty good, and I can age it as much as need be." He extended it out to Yosef, offering the man his flask. "I'd offer it to our driver, but I need him able to drive us home. As well, I feel critiques are always welcome. Every critique I get makes the next barrel better." Bill paused for a moment, the drink out in his hand. "And if nothing else, it helps the time pass, as long as you don't drink it all down at once."

Trevor smiled at the two before taking his chance to speak. "SAS Staff sergeant Trevor Yornifax. I specialize in engineering and mechanics. I can fix cars, rifles, tools. Heck if you wanted id be your man to even fahsion some equipment." Trevor said before popping his knuckles. he then grabbed a black roll from his side and unfurled it. inside was pliers, wrenchs, small vice grips, alan set, and screwdrivers. there was even a small cylinder and gas tubes in a zipped pouch. "I lost my torch however when one of our bushies flipped. so i cant cut doors and metal or sodd them together. Im hoping i can find something similar or make my own while were working. Ive gained the habit of scavenging while i have been here" Trevor said rolling the tools back up. his shoulder showed a small circular patch that held a train on a british flag with the letters LL on it.

"No thank you," Yosef replied to Bill's offer with a smile, tilting the flask back towards the man. "No drinking on the job, I'm afraid. It is, how do I put it? Unprofessional. Maybe another time though." Settling back, he quickly looked over the rest of the group with a keen eye before chuckling quietly.

"I wonder if every team is as specialized as ours," Yosef mused aloud, amused by the exact range of skills at hand. "Or if, perhaps, we are just the specialist team?"
Local Type Moon Fanatic.

Ketzal
Templar GrandMaster

#10 Post by Ketzal »

She couldn't help but jump a little at the way he bolted up, but she had to hide a smile at his response.

"Alright sir...er, Rose. I guess." She coughed, feeling a little awkward. Jacquelyn tended to be a rank and file person. It wasn't that she was trying to be a snob about it, but calling people by rank was a hard habit for her to drop. Then again, maybe referring to the captain by his last name wasn't the best idea.

"Me, well. I haven't been with this group at all until today either. I only joined up with the company a couple weeks back, after..." She trailed off, swallowing a lump that formed in her throat. "Well, after some [censored] happened. And now I'm here, just worrying about people..."

She sighed to herself and shook her head. "At least they had the right supplies for what I do best. Small comfort in that."

Lief
No hugs, I asplode.
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine

#11 Post by Lief »

The two hour ride was about as smooth as the road permitted, although you're pretty sure the guy on the minigun nearly got bounced out of the turret once or twice. True to the Captain's words, no trouble was encountered. Unless you count the fifteen minute runaround the outpost guards gave the Captain before finally letting you in. Then add on the twenty-seven minutes (You're not sure who was counting.) it took them to load up a couple crates- Ammunition, probably, based on the markings. The two hours was quickly approaching three when you finally arrived at the outskirts of the city a bit before 1PM.

The lead vehicle slowed to a stop, quickly followed by the two behind it, with the Captain stepping out and surveyed the area briefly. Apparently displeased with his findings, the Captain barked out a couple orders which his men swiftly followed. Engines were turned off, drivers got out, turrets kept surveying. Must be your stop.

"Welcome to Hell, if Hell froze over. Everyone out, we can't stay long. You leave something behind and it's ours, so don't forget anything."

After a few minutes of mostly standing around and feeling like sitting ducks, one of the gunners yelled out. "Identify yourself!" The other gunners spun their turrets to the same direction as a humanoid figure cloaked in shadows approached the convoy from behind a building.

"Relax, boys," The figure called out as it exited the shadows, hands up. "Agent Burke. You were supposed to be meeting me here, or did you forget?"

The Captain grumbled something, waving Agent Burke over as the gunners relaxed, going back to scanning the area. Agent Burke dropped her arms and approached at a quickened pace.

"You're late." The Captain said flatly.

"Actually, you are. And your men are slacking. I got that close without even trying. Imagine if a group of raiders or hostile soldiers heard about this drop-off?"

The Captain glanced at his watch before replying. "You're right. We are late. You'll have to take it up with the commander of Sierra outpost."

Agent Burke nodded before turning to the lead vehicle and walking to its trunk, which the Captain must've popped earlier. "You have a delivery for me?"

"Yeah. And we've more to make, so if that's all..." He trailed off, obviously tired of dealing with her already.

"Of course," Agent Burke replied, hefting a small crate out of the trunk and setting it down nearby. "Although I see you're a man short of what I was promised. Can't say I didn't expect it."

The Captain nodded respectfully, turned on his heel, and got back in the lead Humvee. The drivers from the other vehicles followed suit, getting into their own Humvees. After checking everything, and some muffled complaints, the engines started and the convoy drove away, heading towards another part of the city.

"Right then. Fall in!" Agent Burke yelled, prying the lid off the crate. "I need names and what you're good at."

Hotep the psychic
New Citizen

#12 Post by Hotep the psychic »

Trevor joined dewitts side showing he came from the same vehicle. He held his rifle steadily, no attachments on it yet. He gave a small "Salute" before speaking "Staff Seargent Yornifax, field engineer and mechanic for the 803rd mobility unit for the SAS , repairs, minor demolitions, vehicle work and jerry rigging are my specialties ill even drive if needed" trevor reported looking the female agent over. "For an apocalypse shes nice. Still wouldnt trust her for my two pounds" trevor thought looking around now he then heard about her being a possible recon which perked up his interest..."recon? That might mean they found "old Gaelic"." Trevor thought (refering to the flipped bushmaster left in the city when on a mission)
As an engineer for war, a thief for hire, and a regular guy, one finds similarities to all these occupations in time.

InceptionBwaaa
Grand Templar

#13 Post by InceptionBwaaa »

Moira stepped up, giving a quick, slightly sarcastic salute.

"Petty Officer First Class Moira Siegfried, ma'am. Demolitions and technology expert, and licensed to operate aircraft." She went to at-ease position.

"Oh, and reigning Foosball champion."
Certified Jojo fan

y7h65
The Unpronounceable

#14 Post by y7h65 »

Entering the city, Yosef let out a low whistle at the sight of the city. While it had been a while since he had seen a city, he had not expected this. It looked bad but nowhere near as bad as he had imagined it. He had seen normal old cities that looked more desolate than this. The city would not give the impression of being a possibly zombie infested hellhole if it were not for the few ruins that spotted the land scape.

Exiting the vehicle with the rest of his travelling companions as it came to a stop, Yosef took the time to sling his backpack over his shoulder and hum a jaunty tune as he stood relaxed but with his rifle at the ready. Walking towards the city but keeping himself within sight of everyone else, he scanned the building. Taking in as much of the area as he could, he noted the possible sites for nests, crawler traps, or any other terrain that could lead to sudden zombie hording. There certainly was nothing like actually being present at a site to survey, even if the helos and planes provided a larger picture. Somethings could only be noticed, captured, or accessible from the ground and on foot.

At the sound of a barking shout, Yosef broke into a small grin before turning towards the source. Even as the rest of the men and women came to a ready in front of the white haired woman, Yosef kept at his position and waved merrily towards Agent Burke.

"Ah, Agent Burke! A pleasure to meet again, no?" Yosef asked loudly with a smile, a soft chuckle at the back of his throat even as his eyes continued to scan the city. "Are we not already acquainted? It would sadden me if you were to have already forgotten me. But for those I have not yet met, I am Yosef Levy. Just a humble Data Analyst and Tracker."
Local Type Moon Fanatic.

Tyendinaga
Templar Inner Circle

#15 Post by Tyendinaga »

As the group entered the city, John had turned his up a bit and found himself watching through the window as his head rested upon it. Buildings, old signs, billboards, and even a few abandoned vehicles. Things didn't look so destroyed as they could have, perhaps out of maintenance but far from destroyed, just six months of overgrown laws and uncleaned windows. Hell, if one were to give it more than a brownouts worth of power most of it would probably light up just fine. Copper thieves and downed lines exempted of course. Maybe soon enough this would all be over, or perhaps the zombies would just rot away to nothing leaving whoever was left to pick up the slack. One could hope.

After a few minutes the vehicle came to a stop. "Hrmmm?" He blinked a moment, all the while people around him started to move, the drive in front of him exiting the vehicle. It seemed it was time to leave. After letting out a yawn, and stretching a bit, the man grabbed his rifle and roughly put the sling over his neck, and grabbed his backpack, before pushing ajar the door and stepping out into the world outside. It was definitely a fair bit cooler than inside the truck. He took in a breath, feeling that familiar rush to fresh air. It was time to get to work it seemed.

One arm after another, he slid his backpack on, all the while looking side to side, at the world around him. Though it was late in the year, it seemed there was little snow around. 'Global Warming for you I guess.' He looked around, watching as a few others got out of their vehicles. All sorts of different people in different sets of gear, Some not even wearing much beyond civillian clothing. Hell one of them was wearing a hoodie and cargo pants. He looked down at himself, guns, grenades, bullets, candy bars, load bearing vest, body armour, and that didn't even scratch the surface. "What am I, Batman's Utility belt?" he murmured to himself.

After a few moments of dallying around, a barking came out from the side as a lady came out somewhere near the back of the building, which John paid little attention aside from simply watching from the sidelines at the back as the lady walked around, eventually going up to the lead vehicle. Though he couldn't see worth [censored] from where he was, it seemed their 'boss' had arrived from a glance. His thoughts though were punctuated by the fact that the Hummvee's packed up and promptly began to leave. That was that.

While the soldiers did their thing, John walked himself over near where the group had begun to gather, once again staying near the back as people began to introduce themselves one by one. 'These people really take themselves seriously, Staff sergeant, Sergeant, Staff Sergeant, Petty officer, what next a Gunnery Sergeant?' he mused to himself, without countries or governments the ranks meant little, especially when anybody can say they were whatever they wanted in this day and age. After a moment he looked to Burke, who was probably looking for the next name at this point.

"John, Your Radioman" He answered simply.