Halo: Mystery on Vector RP IC

Play around with roles and whatnot in here, I suppose.

Moderator: avwolf

Delta-17

Re: Halo: Mystery on Vector RP IC

#16 Post by Fawkes » Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:04 am

The hologram of the ONI officer flickered for a short time as Captain Moreau appeared to be speaking to someone off screen. The image stabilized and the Captain answered the Spartan IVs' questions, "As far as we know, Spartan Reija and Spartan Trevor, last know communication with the security teams was moments before entering Vector's atmosphere. From there we don't know whether the teams even landed, but we're assuming that the teams flew in together in a staggered formation for a short time before splitting up to their selected destinations, Research Base Charlie and Delta respectively. The same appears to have happened with the second deployed teams as well." Captain Moreau explained.

The Captain's hologram flickered once again as he appeared to be speaking with someone else off screen again before continuing to answer the Spartan's question, "... last recorded communication with ground side science teams happened at 0648 hours station time, at Research Base Charlie. The transmission was cut off during the routine report from the Smart AI, "Shade". Just before it was cut, from his location, he had mention the Forerunner relic that had been discovered there had a sudden spark of activity. That's when all communications with the planet ceased and several attempts at reestablishing contact were made remotely. Then security teams were deployed, from there you know the rest. Anyone else have a question?"
"Why worry? If you've done the very best you can, worrying won't make it better." - Walt Disney

Templar GrandMaster

#17 Post by Ketzal » Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:13 am

Antonio decided to step forward, a troubling thought suddenly rattling in his head. "Has there been any prevalent alien pathogens or diseases documented here?" The last thing that he wanted was to lose a squad member to some alien version of polio because he couldn't treat it.

Delta-17

#18 Post by Fawkes » Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:54 pm

The hologram of the ONI officer turned towards the medic, "A simple enough question, I am pleased to say that there aren't any alien disease or patheogens known to be on Vector at this point in time, PFC Antonio."
"Why worry? If you've done the very best you can, worrying won't make it better." - Walt Disney

#19 Post by triman95 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:43 pm

"So in summary sir you are sending us into the darkest part of the fog of war where a possible active forerunner relic may be the cause of the disappearance of the previous squads." Leopold added into the Q&A as he set his hand upon his face.

"I'm hoping you are at least giving us a last meal and a smoke before sending us into the unknown." Showing his lack of confidence in both command and the Spartans accompanying the mission.

The Unpronounceable
Location: Stuck in a never ending hell of Asashio Class Destroyers.

#20 Post by y7h65 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:44 pm

"Marine," David's voice cut through the cold air amid the din of machinery, tone unreadable, as he turned his attention to the Master Sergeant Leopold. Flat brown eyes gazed out at Leopold, expression unchanging as David spoke. "Your attitude and suggestions are neither helpful nor productive. If you truly wish to be a fatalist then your presence is not required or wanted here. This mission is for professionals and your attitude marks you out as one that is less than that."

Gazing at his datapad, David's eyes flitted from detail to detail as he apparently took in as much of the information as possible. Already, his suspicions were proving to be correct about the Marine and ODST [GEN]2. Unreliable lot that they were. Gazing through the notes and the timestamps, he had to admit that this mission was starting with significantly less intelligence than what he was used to. Still, a mission was a mission and he was here to ensure that it was either completed or that they gave it their best shot.

"Captain Fawkes, Captain Moreau, Sirs;" David started , eyes drifting over to the hologram and the ODST. "Will we be provided layouts to all the major bases and locations on the planet? It would greatly improve our ability to preform and succeed in this mission. Though I am sure that such material will be provided, experience has shown to me that such things may be withheld for confidential reasons."
Local Type Moon Fanatic.

New Citizen

#21 Post by Hotep the psychic » Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:05 am

"i have a last concern in terms of communication...as you said earlier communication was cut of upon entering the atmosphere by the teams you sent previously, yet before activity the station replied fully correct?. My concern is now the atmosphere itself, are there readings of anything that could interupt signal? IONS, electronic acitivty, matter at all in the cloud cover or in the atmosphere after the activity began? i beleive that theres something more than we expect." Trevor said
As an engineer for war, a thief for hire, and a regular guy, one finds similarities to all these occupations in time.

Council Member

#22 Post by deathwatch » Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:26 am

"Hmph, the day I see Sergeants talking down to Master sergeants..." Isaak grumbled as he stood forward. "The Sergeant is right, sir, we'll need details of these facilities to better plan our operations on the ground. I mean jumping feet first into a potential deathtrap is my forté but as far as I'm aware, this isn't just another combat op.

Isaak took in the others. The attitude of that Gen 2 didn't help, whilst he didn't think much of many of Parangosky's IV's the fact that this one wore ODST armour was more of a kick in the face. Neither did the attitude of the M.Sgt. A senior NCO that is supposed to be a role model for the men under him. The other sergeant seemed a bit more professional about it, the rest he would have to wait to see how they developed... Still, it wasn't his main concern. His main concern was making sure they all got out alive, objective or no objective these people were going into the dark against an unknown force. Being another number on the casualty list ONI keeps throwing down to the surface didn't appeal too much to him.

Delta-17

#23 Post by Fawkes » Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:35 am

Captain Moreau's face quickly grew a scowl at the marine's lack of respect before turning into cruel smile at the reaction it brought on from his fellow squadmate, "Well Master Sergeant Leopold Eisenberg ," putting emphasis on the man's rank, " I consider your recent conduct to be damn near insubordination. You're pretty damn lucky I don't have you tossed out the nearest airlock by anyone of your fellow soldiers for that remark. So shape up soldier, there are men missing out on that planet and we need to find them... and just remember this, there's always more men to fill your boots if they happen to become empty at some point." The ONI officer left the vague and ominous threat hang in the air as he glared at the Master Sergeant.

The hologram of the Captain recomposed himself in a calm and professional manner before answering questions, "Now then, about those maps. Holding back any information would only hinder this operation so you all will get complete and detailed layouts of all established bases on Vector. The only things you won't have access to will be the data you might find, it's all been encrypted and only those with the encryption key and access codes may access them. Anyways, Captain Fawkes will make these maps available to everyone before you leave." Captain Moreau explained to the squad.

Turning to Spartan Trevor he continued on, "Unfortunately Spartan, we don't have enough data to determine if there are any anomalies that may be causing this communications black out... which can be attributed to the loss of our drones. Normally upon loss of control signal the drone is to immediately return to it's point of origin but they have failed to do so, which is highly unusual. We suspect there is something causing this communications black out, some sort of effect or device may be responsible for this, so keep your eyes peeled for anything that may be causing this. Now then anything else?"

The Coffee Wolf

#24 Post by Gabriel of creosha » Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:28 pm

Zorro, ignoring the pessimistic Marine's drivelous insult to the chain of command and superior Spartans, asked his own question. "Now, this is a research base, correct? I wouldn't expect Spartan lasers, anti material rifles, Sonic Electronic ball breakers... any real ordinance by definition. But they had some sort of weapons stash right? If someone's taken out this research base, we could easily scale our reactions based on what they may survived fighting, or taken from the teams."

While Weyland awaited his answer he took note of David's dislike of the critical Marine. He had worked with many Marines before, and was familiar with their general Idiocracy they believed existed. He had however, never met one this full of himself to ask command, their superior in rank and experience, why they were sending them on a mission.
Grace wrote: ARM IS FINE. KALASHNIKOV DESIGNED ARM TO BE PERFECT. ARM IS FINE. PROBLEM IS NOT WITH ARM. PROBLEM IS WITH STUPID CAPITALIST USING ARM.

#25 Post by triman95 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:40 pm

"Dually noted sir. I'll remember that next time." Responding to Captain Moreau's. Meeting Moreau's stare with a cold one of his.

Taking things a bit more serious Leopold began to asked another, "Do we have any possible information or theories on this Forerunner relic you mention about or is most of it still in the research bases? Before communication lost with the surface. I believe it might be best to be prepare if it is the cause of what is happening or too dangerous to be left intact." Now waiting to see how the captain would respond to him again after his last remark, knowing that he wouldn't receive more welcoming answer after his outburst.

Delta-17

#26 Post by Fawkes » Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:48 am

The ONI officer's hologram faced the Spartan, "You would be correct in your assumptions Spartan Weyland, you will not be finding any "real" ordinance there. The weapons stash you are referring to is mostly made up of M45D shotguns, M6H handguns and a limited number of MA5D assault rifles which are contained in a small armory at each base. These were to be used only in an emergency so the civilian scientists could defend themselves until Marine reinforcements arrived. The security teams sent in were armed with MA5Ds, M395 DMRs and BR85HB SRs, no heavy weapons or ordinance were brought in by them. At the very least you have possible ammunition supplies at your hands should you need them. But you might be able to find something use there if you happen to get your hands on any of the bases inventory lists."

Captain Moreau kept his glare on the the Master Sergeant as he answered his question, "Unfortunately Master Sergeant Leopold, what we know about this device is only a partial translation of it's name, 'the core". Assuming from it's name it the artifact is the core piece or an element to an undiscovered Forerunner technology on Vector. As to what purpose it may serve is still a mystery, one that I hope Dr. Matheson here will be able to solve." The Captain motioned to the Doctor being preoccupied with that data pad in his hands. Continuing on the ONI officer explained, "Also should the artifact be the cause or too dangerous to be left intact, UNSC HIGHCOM has authorized the use of a NOVA Bomb on Vector should the need arise. It will ensure that whatever danger on that planet poses to Earth will be wiped from existence in the blink of an eye, regardless whatever or whomever may be on the planet when the bomb detonates. We can't afford for this to catch us off guard and turn into the next New Phoenix Incident."

No hugs, I asplode.

#27 Post by Lief » Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:23 pm

"So this may be a suicide mission, sir?" Rae piped in, having been silent up until this point. "Not exactly inspiring confidence in the poor Master Sergeant, there, Captain." She stifled a chuckle, the Marine was never going to live this one down. Then again, he may not be returning from the mission.
Don't ask, its better that way.

The Imagineer

#28 Post by Myperson54 » Thu May 01, 2014 4:42 am

Blitz humphed once and turned to let his gaze fall upon the woman who spoke up. "I wouldn't be so sure, Sergeant Major. Way I see it, we're here today because we each have some kind of skill or experience which might prove useful out there. Somehow, I can see us getting through this alive, mostly." He paused for a moment, then sighed softly. "Although, I do share your sentiment. Let's hope for the best."

I am become salt, destroyer of memes

Join the Unofficial 2k Discord Channel!

Delta-17

#29 Post by Fawkes » Fri May 02, 2014 4:48 am

The hologram of the ONI Officer looked at the soldiers gathered around him and sighed, "It's hard to inspire confidence in one's men when the possibility of this being a suicide mission is a possibility given the circumstances, Sergeant Major.", Captain Moreau then turned to Spartan Alex "Blitz", "But you're correct in that respect Spartan, you are all here for your various skills, whether it be a leading expert in a certain field, with ordnance, repairing equipment and among other things as well. You all provide some valuable skills and abilities to this mission that may be the key to accomplishing the task at hand. Now then, are there any more questions that need to be answered?"

Grand Templar

#30 Post by MrFlyingAmoeba » Sat May 03, 2014 9:29 pm

Reija kept silent, having remained still during the lengthy discussion. She did have a few unanswered questions which she refused to voice. (Was lethal force authorized?) Of course it was, you didn't send Spartans (And especially not two IIs) just to have a chat with a hostile unknown entity, especially not when backed by a NOVA timer. (How were they going to be split?) A redundant question, she'd know in a few minutes. The engineer(s) would likely split into separate groups, or the Spartan IVs could paired together, leaving one of the more experienced IIs for each group. She hoped the latter wasn't the case; Reija would rather be alongside one of the IIs. There was the itch to ask what their exact objectives were, and especially what this Forerunner artifact was supposed to be doing, but that should be handled as they approached their initial drop off.

She dismissed the idea of trying to boost their morale with confident remarks. A few of the group would probably react with annoyance if not outright hostility, and the others wouldn't be particularly affected either way. A dismal outlook, perhaps, but Reija had long since resolved to be thought a stoic instead of a gadfly if given options.

Especially around them.
Red Mage Statscoski wrote:That is not how we do things around here, buddy. First we have to argue incessantly over semantics.