Treated in Kind IC

Play around with roles and whatnot in here, I suppose.

Moderator: Moderators

Stryder221
Templar GrandMaster

Re: Treated in Kind IC

#31 Post by Stryder221 »

The first thing Bastion's mind registered as he entered Conroy's room was an incredibly pungent, alcoholic scent. His sense of smell wasn't as good as a keidran's, but the odor alone was enough to make him cough.
"For the love of- That's definitely a strong scent... May I ask why am I'm smelling it?"
His eyes narrowed onto a small white, mostly empty bottle. Most likely the container of whatever made the stench that tortured his nose so.
"I see..."

The Basitin pulled up a seat, a glint of metal visible under his cloak as he sat.
"I must apologize for demanding a meeting like this, but it's somewhat important. But first, what to do with the eavesdropper?"
He was trying to find his own answer to that question when the eavesdropper in question had arrived.

Upon hearing the question Conroy had asked, he had forced himself not to laugh. The question was indeed quite ludicrous.
E͎͖̯̱̻͡r̲͇r͢҉͈͚ò͈̹̰̩̺͓̝̘̟̕r̨̡̺̥̲̰͕̭̬:̵͙̦̟̮̖̯̞́͢ ̴̛̞̙͙̠̲̝̟S̵͎̼̖̜̯͕̺͔̀i̶͉̟̝̻͕̺g̢̤͕n̴͈̩̝͓͖̹͕̟͢a͕̺̱͞ț̸̛͓u̢̥̣̣̰̪ͅr̨̠͙̯̣̣̘̠ḛ̡̨̟̗̥̰̱̻ͅ ̻̮̼̥͕̼͉͎u͏͔̳n͏͔͈̭̭͟a̮͕͖̲͕͙͔ͅv̺̦̼̥̭͙a͏҉̦̺̫̯i̝̙̳̜l̴̡̳̥͠a̢̘̬͈͢ͅb̶̶̦͉͙́ḷ̸̙̙̳̩̥́e͔̪̳̦̫͚̪̹ͅ.͖̠̗͔̖̞ͅ

Phantom
Templar GrandMaster
Location: In the land of Mountains, lacs and hills. Where the rails meet, binding the knot.

#32 Post by Phantom »

Fabien heard noises in the corridor. He strolled over to the door, opening it slightly and watching as the two men who where talking at the bar, as well as what appeared to be some eavesdroppers headed up into the parlour. He watched as the main man, the human who was looking for hands for his job turned round to ask a question to a younger fox a question, and upon hearing the question Fabien can't help grinning to himself. At the same time, a second group of people where carrying up the wounded wolf up into a room accompanied by the cleric and the mage wolf.

Fabien's expression turned more serious now, and he came out of the room into the hall, and watched as they passed. He remained silent and simply took note of which room they put her in. With a quick glance back at the others, making only short eye contact with the human at the door, Fabien returns to his room, picking up his book and going back to previous records, searching for something.

Chaosye
Grand Templar

#33 Post by Chaosye »

Naira remained lying down, but the shine of Magnus's silvery arm was clearly visible. A half-mechanical man was not something Naira had ever seen before; practically all her time was spent far away from the technological or magical centers of the world, and rarely did she have a chance to see such feats of machination. Her sensitive ears could hear almost every little creak and slide that his arm made in the nubile silence. At the least, it was a bit astonishing to Naira. Not only in the sense of technology, but in the sense of his attainment. His owner provided such a luxury? He was almost laughing in Naira's face. Of course it wasn't intended; but Naira was jealous either way. Naira never had an owner that wasn't 'vicious,' and here's someone whose owner replaced his arm without what seems a single complaint.

She was definitely growing jealous, with a considerable feeling of belittlement. Hell, she would have smacked him in the face right there if she could have. "<I know what kind of pain you must have felt.>"?! Are you kidding me? You don't know half of what I've-, went Naira's thoughts, too weakened to let them flow through her voice. But then, he practically pledged an allegiance to her. It was... a bit surprising. And clarifying. She really was not in much of a position to retort and rebel. Naira was very, very alone. Where is she, even? If she left this town, she wouldn't have anywhere to go. Yet, here was someone willing to devote at least some effort to her recovery. After such a long period of forced servitude, it was bit endearing, if in a bit of a strange and obtuse manner.

"<Naira.>" She hoarsely voiced, "<I appreciate it.>" She shifted a bit, to allow more space to Magnus, "<You know, losing an arm seems a bit more than a mistake. A mistake's tripping over a root and dropping an hour's worth of picking, that's a bit more major, you know?>" Naira held a bit of a strained smirk on her face, before dropping her head back on that wonderfully comfortable pillow. Of course, how someone lost their arm is probably a fairly sensitive subject, so Naira tried to reroute it a bit,"<Though, now that we're exchanging names, whose that owner of yours?>", with a bit of exasperation,"<Sounds awfully nice.>"

Phantom
Templar GrandMaster
Location: In the land of Mountains, lacs and hills. Where the rails meet, binding the knot.

#34 Post by Phantom »

After finding what he had searched for, he decided to go and visit the two wolfs later when the corridor was clear to try and see if he couldn't help her. He spent a good few minutes carefully planning out what he would say.
Perhaps now is the time to fight back instead of running.... he thought to himself as a feeling of courage began to take him, something he had not felt in quiet a while. Picking up the book as well as letter opener and putting it on his belt. Fabien then creeps towards the door, trying to make little noise as possible, and he opens it just a tad, enough for him to peer down the hall to make sure things where clear. Seeing as the hall was clear, and hearing only what you would expect from an Inn downstairs, Fabien makes his way down the dimly lit hall to the room where he saw them carry in the wounded Wolfess.

Before entering the room, he takes a moment to calm his breathing which has now jumped up a few beats. Managing to reassert himself in his mind, he knocks at the door calmly, and then opens it slowly to see inside the wounded wolfess lying on the bed with the other wolf beside her.
"I'm sorry to disturb you folk, I just came to see if you were feeling better." he said as he stood by the door, only half entered.
"I also wish to apologize for my comment downstairs, I did not mean to upset you..... it was just that I..... well...." he started before the words were lost to him. Drats.. he thought as he tried to remember what he had planned to say. As he stumbled for words, he grasped the book trying desperately to remember what he had planned.
"...I... I have know of others that were not so .... Lucky i could say." he manages to say.

((Hope you guys don't mind if i join in the little story telling))

Chaosye
Grand Templar

#35 Post by Chaosye »

(Done through PMs with Creosha. Side-note: PMing other players with planned interaction, especially one of the GMs, is never a bad idea!)

Magnus felt it was good she was able to talk, and decided to avoid the awkwardness of explaining why he wasn't wearing his cloak and put it back on. His face didn't visibly brighten much when she shared her name with him. He winced at her questioning his calling his arm a small mistake, but let it slide as she changed the subject, noting she seemed annoyed. "<His name is Howard. He has a home not too far from here with near a few other Keidran.>" He wanted to try not to seem as if he was some small child, showing off their favoritism by a pack leader. "<My first owner's name was Samuel. He had me until I was nearly 7. Then I exchanged was bought at an auction by Mr. Howard. That's the last I've seen of any wolves since I went into his service.>" He waited a moment before making a quick addition to what he had said. "<If you want I can get you some food or drink. You are probably famished, and I doubt bread and water are any bit as good as soft ale and meat.>"

Naira's ears perked up, watching out the corner of her eye how Magnus spoke. It began to make some sense why he was so formal and obedient; he was literally born into the position, after all. The name Samuel diverged a minor amount of attention, but Naira couldn't remember where it was from, and that attention dissolved when he mentioned food. He was right, she was absolutely famished. Nearing excitement, Naira said,"<That sounds->" The request was quickly interrupted by a coughing fit; the burning remained in her throat. Alcohol, of any sort, was going to be off the list for some time. "<Water and meat would be good...>" she said, in a softer tone.

The bed sprung up slightly as Magnus stood up and said, "<I will be prompt.>" As he turned toward the door, however, it opened, and Magnus paused. It creaked a bit, and gradually revealed the Fox who had unsuccessfully attempted to calm down Naira during her frenzy. Naira, however, only recognized the man as another part of the crowd, if rather matured and surprisingly bridled in comparison. The difficulty of what the man was saying, however, was considerably amplified for Naira. The quiet, faltering voice combined with a language that Naira was nowhere near fluent in created sounds that certainly resounded in her ears, but did not quite reach the necessary mental steps steps to being registered in her mind. Naira's eyes squinted in confusion, and she shifted her head slightly towards Magnus, not wanting to disturb the shards in her back anymore than they already were. She spoke, with a coarse tone, "<What's he saying? Why's he in here?>"

Ace5762
Grand Templar

#36 Post by Ace5762 »

Conroy laughed softly and grinned, standing aside to let the young keidran in, waving him briefly into silence and closing the door once they were inside the parlour.
"All sounds well 'n' good, fair indeed" he said, crossing the room to land himself in one of the luxurious armchairs.
"Pardon me for confusin' you. Spot on that there is na tiger with spots. 's a code phrase smuggling folk used to use, abandoned nigh a few months ago. Catches out the moles, y'see. If you was a good little spy for the watch, you'd have diligently replied 'Same as a leopard's stripes, of course'." he explained, motioning the fox to a seat.
"Anyhow, I am looking for spare hands for smugglin' job over the border- good chance the wolf one, and I can guarantee y' both a fair cut if you haul in" he said. Conroy looked to both of them for their reaction.
"But a'fore I get ahead of myself. Name's Conroy- fella here is Bastion" he said, nodding to the Basitin.
Not too shabby.
Born unto Bureaucracy.

Phantom
Templar GrandMaster

#37 Post by Phantom »

After Fabien had finished he took a pause to look over the two wolfs only to see faces of slight confusion. He began to search his mind for a reason going through what he had said, when he realized he had been speaking in the wrong language! Almost embarrassed at his mistake, he whacked himself on the forehead.
"<Ohhh I had forgotten what language i was using, force of habit i guess you could say or old age.>" he said after taking the time to convert his words back into keidran.
"<My name is Fabien>" he said, taking a short formal bow
"<I came here to see if you were feeling better and to apologize for my remarks earlier, I had not meant to offend you. It was just that i have known others who where not so lucky with their escapes.>" he added after, this time more confident then when he was speaking before.
As he finished speaking, he noticed a shine come off the Mage wolf's arm as he stood there from one of the candles that lit the room. Fabien seemed slightly dazed and stared for a brief moment for it was not something he had seen or heard of before and it brought up a couple of questions in his mind which he decided to put away for the moment. Getting back to what he was saying, he then continued with what he wanted to say.
"<If there is anything that I can do to do help, do let me know. I like to believe that i know more on the....>" he paused to think, deciding not the mention Slavers, as it might bring up another fit. "<.. this matter then most people around here.>"

Fabien remained by the door, his book still firmly in his left hand.

Chaosye
Grand Templar

#38 Post by Chaosye »

"<This matter...>" Naira muttered to herself, watching as Rune left the room to fetch something, and her eyes fell upon the journal Fabien was holding, from there travelling to the Keidran's wrists. Scars from the stretch of skin, of constant compression, fur that was left to rot rather than shed. Either a constantly imprisoned criminal -where he certainly didn't seem that sort-, or he was trying to imply... something. She paused for a few moments, looking at the Fox with tired eyes, before inquiring,"<You know about this matter, what are you actually trying to say?>" Naira was still too sluggish in mind to really comprehend his implications, and too impatient to keep having him circle around his intention.

By this point, Rune had returned with the food and water, and she immediately reached for the water as soon as it was set down, gulping it down as best as she could while still lying down, "<Right now, I'll just... I'll just wait.>" Naira's sensitive ears had begun to hear footsteps outside the door, presumably the cleric, but there was another sound... Human voices came from the other side of the wall. Her ear pressed against it. The few words she could understand popped out of the muted conversation, "Looking... for... job... good... wolf."

Naira's eyes widened. This could be her chance out of this town. Her ear was now obviously pressed against the back of the wall. "<Magnus?>" she asked, "<Do you need any work?>"

Ms. Carpenter opened the door holding a case, nearly hitting Fabien, "Ah! <I'm sorry! Wasn't expecting another person to come in here! I'm Ms. Carpenter, cleric, nice to meet you.>" She bowed towards Fabien, and looked over to the bed, seeing Naira wide awake now, and pressed up against the wall next to the bed, "<Oh, I didn't expect her to wake up already. Honey, how are you->"

"Shh!"

"... Well, <at least she's feeling better.>" Ms. Carpenter placed the case next to the bed, opening it to reveal a number of medical supplies, and she pulled out a pair of tweezers, "<Make sure you hold still, honey.>" She said, as she began to pull the splinters out of Naira's back, a wince running through Naira's body with each removed shard. As she worked, she noticed the plate of food and the accompanying empty glass, and purposely spoke in Human, "So how'd she act when she got up? And what's she listening for?"

Ace5762
Grand Templar

#39 Post by Ace5762 »

"Well I 'spose we should be talking business. The client's a late jay, though" said Conroy, who was scratching his scraggly beard idly. He turned his head slightly, feeling an uncomfortable tension building in the air.
"Bloody hell!"
It was then that a loud, resounding boom hit the inn, making the building quiver as the shock wave hit, the windows remaining undramatically intact however. Conroy flinched and ducked his head, a wave of unnatural warmth passing through the room and dissipating. There were screams and yells from outside as the festivities outside came to an abrupt halt.
"By th' masks, what was that?"
Conroy pulled himself to the windows and looked out. There was an unmistakeable orange glow and the flicker of flames curling over the docks district.
Not too shabby.
Born unto Bureaucracy.

Stryder221
Templar GrandMaster

#40 Post by Stryder221 »

[I apologize in advance for how short this post is.]

"{Holy Hell!}"
Bastion swore as he felt the impact.

"The hell was that?! Sounded like we're under attack!"
The Basitin's halberd was already in his hands as he readied himself for a fight.

"Your orders, sir Conroy?"
E͎͖̯̱̻͡r̲͇r͢҉͈͚ò͈̹̰̩̺͓̝̘̟̕r̨̡̺̥̲̰͕̭̬:̵͙̦̟̮̖̯̞́͢ ̴̛̞̙͙̠̲̝̟S̵͎̼̖̜̯͕̺͔̀i̶͉̟̝̻͕̺g̢̤͕n̴͈̩̝͓͖̹͕̟͢a͕̺̱͞ț̸̛͓u̢̥̣̣̰̪ͅr̨̠͙̯̣̣̘̠ḛ̡̨̟̗̥̰̱̻ͅ ̻̮̼̥͕̼͉͎u͏͔̳n͏͔͈̭̭͟a̮͕͖̲͕͙͔ͅv̺̦̼̥̭͙a͏҉̦̺̫̯i̝̙̳̜l̴̡̳̥͠a̢̘̬͈͢ͅb̶̶̦͉͙́ḷ̸̙̙̳̩̥́e͔̪̳̦̫͚̪̹ͅ.͖̠̗͔̖̞ͅ

Phantom
Templar GrandMaster

#41 Post by Phantom »

Fabien was still debating deeply about how to react, if he should open things up now or keep it for later as he felt it was a very hard game of chess and he had to play the right move if he didn't want to find himself alone or worse, locked up. While still in thought he was nearly knocked down by the sudden opening of the door.The person introduced herself as a cleric called Ms. Carpenter. "<My name is Fabien>"he said, introducing himself with a short formal bow. He moved a bit more to the side, to ensure that he would be out of the way should another person wish to enter into the now more crowded room.

He watched as Naira now pressed her ears to try and listen in on the conversation going on next door. He was just as puzzled as the cleric had been as to what she could be trying to listen for. He decided to play on his luck, and that perhaps he would be able to convince them of his good will, as it was not often that he had the chance to try and redeem himself for his actions.
"< As for your question, I was employed by the slavers until not long ago so I have valuable information that might be of use to you if you wish to avoid them further.... but that is a long story for another day perhaps.>" he said calmly "<Might I inquire what you are trying to hear from the other room?>"

As he asked his question, there was a loud explosion that shook the inn, and as a wave of warmth passed through the room and Fabien was sent to the floor as well as his book that few out a bit further and opened up. He managed to recover rather quick, and as he rubbed his sore knee, he made his way to the window, from which he saw the unmistakeable glow of embers and the flickering of flames come from one of the buildings over by the dock district. "<What the hell..... We have to move sooner then anticipated i think...>" he said, grabbing his book.

((Sorry for the late post, work is heavier then anticipated))

Ace5762
Grand Templar

#42 Post by Ace5762 »

Conroy was still pressed against the window, wide eyedly viewing the chaos unfurling in the streets. Many citizens had now been quickly sobered and broken from their reverie, most fleeing the growing inferno in fear, particularly the non-local festival goers. Those of hardier disposition and with a stake in the businesses at the docks were rushing to rally to combat the flames.
Conroy turned his head and gave Bastion a funny look.
" 'Sir' Conroy? Cor lummy, tha's some airs and graces a soul never spoke to me before" he said. The man was already going purposefully for the door.
"Bucket brigade's formin' down below. I've a pers'nel and professional interest in this town here, so I'm goin'ta lend a hand" he said, swinging the door to the parlour open and taking that moderate but rushed little jog of a man in a hurry, who's acutely aware he's a bit tipsy for it.
The ground floor was quickly emptying of patrons, the inn being in closer and closer proximity to the flames. The innkeeper and his wife were already outside, joining one of the growing lines of hands for buckets of seawater to be passed along. A local mage and apprentice were also arriving onto the scene, attempting to freeze the fire out by draining the heat from the area. Effort showed on their faces but they were containing the spread, for now.
Not too shabby.
Born unto Bureaucracy.

Chaosye
Grand Templar

#43 Post by Chaosye »

Mrs. Carpenter bowed her head toward Fabien, "<A pleasure."

"Shh!" Naira repeated, her ear pressed against the wall. Mrs. Carpenter quieted a bit, as she continued pulling splinters out of Naira's back. With each flick of her forceps, a pain shot through Naira's core, but the light throb that replaced the prior scraping sensation in her back was far less painful. Naira's other ear twisted slightly, as Fabien spoke to her, "<Getting away from those slavers is one thing, but I need to figure out how in the Mask's name I'm going to be getting back home. I just..." Wait, why was she listening through the wall? What could she possibly gain from that? She must be crazy. And tired. Crazy-tired.

Naira pulled her head a bit away from the wall, as Mrs. Carpenter began to finish pulling the splinters out of her back. She began to mutter, "<I guess I'm afraid the slavers would be in the next room over or->"

BOOM

The fine-tuned sensitivity of Naira's ears were overblown as the blast sounded out. Heat pervaded her whiskers, and a jagged pain filled her back, as a moment of realization quickly flew over her, "<Agh! The slavers! It must be them! They're getting back at the slavers!>". Mrs. Carpenter was knocked away from Naira, ripping out the last substantial splinter from her back in a bloody flourish, "Oh my!"

Naira spun, a small spray of blood landing on the bed behind her, "<I thought they would've caught them by now.>" How long had it been since she fell unconscious? She had thought it had been hours, but it must have only been a few minutes! She had to go, "<The men who are going after them- I need to help them!>" She jumped for the door, and was about to run out as Conroy ran past her. As she stepped back to avoid the man's path, another shock of pain went through her body, hesitating at the doorway, "<Hnrk, everyone out of the room!>" She said, as she ran down the stairs, eventually exiting that inn's doors, gripping her back. The fire was spreading fast. An oil bomb? She sniffed the air; no such scent. A normal fire couldn't have spread that quickly from the docks. She turned, seeing the inn and some of the scattered inhabitants, among them Mrs. Carpenter, running out of the inn as well. "<This wasn't the slaver's work...>" She muttered, as she gradually blended into the lines of water runners, towards the docks.

Ace5762
Grand Templar

#44 Post by Ace5762 »

"Come on- have t' it, Miss!" Conroy said loudly above the hubbub around them all, a female tiger keidran passing up a bucket to him, he in turn passing it to the next person as the stream of buckets brimming with sea water made their way down the line, empties being rushed back to be filled again as the intimidating glow of the flames lit up thick smoke and anxious faces all around.
Progress was being made. Slow progress. The citizens were managing to beat back the flames from the nearest building, a store for the boatyard, the timber dinghies inside having sustained some bad scorching. The efforts of the mages were keeping the fire from spreading while the bucket brigade doused it, but the mana in the district would soon dry up and then things would change for the worse.

"<WAIT! Snow wolf! Northern Brother!>" came a strained, rasping voice. A wolf keidran stretched his arm out feebly as Rune came toward him. He was being supported and half carried by another, lighter furred wolf carrying a grim look on his face. The one who'd called to Rune gave a series of wheezing coughs. Fur was singed in several places, and bare, badly burned hide showed along his arm and back. One of an observant nature would have recognized him as a sailor who had visited the sailor's reprieve earlier that night.
"<You were...>"
he made a labored breath before continuing
"<...at the tavern, correct? It is the slavers. We found their ship, got in a fight with them- but a human arrived, with fire magic. He has all of them tra->"
A dry cough.
"<He has them trapped, on the far end of the docks, the slaves will burn or be lost as well- the slavers are trying to fight and jump port. Tell the watch there's a way through the fire on the North-Eastern side- please>"
Not too shabby.
Born unto Bureaucracy.

Stryder221
Templar GrandMaster

#45 Post by Stryder221 »

Bastion had not immediately rushed out to help contain the fire. Rather, he had stayed behind in an attempt to safeguard the Keidran Former slave.

A fire like this would be a perfect distraction. He had thought. If they recapture her and make their escape, I can only imagine the consequences.
Of course, as he ran out the door, he saw the very Keidran he'd meant to watch over rushing down the stairs. Unfortunately, the basitin lost her the instant he ran outside.

Into the fire, then. If she's not there, I can at least assist the villagers.
In his path towards said inferno, however...

"NAIRAAAAA!"
Someone, a Keidran screamed, causing Bastion to wince, cursing his overly sensitive ears. At least he knew he wasn't the only one searching.
Searching for the source of the shout, he saw a snow white wolf making haste towards the docks. Wishing to assist with what he assumed was a similar goal, he followed with equal haste.