Outbreak Alpha (IC)

Play around with roles and whatnot in here, I suppose.

Moderator: Moderators

Twokindsofawsome
Hopelessly Romantic

Outbreak Alpha (IC)

#1 Post by Twokindsofawsome »

Time: 6:50 AM local time
Days after initial Outbreak: 12

As the sun rose over the pacific island of Panthera, the morning was greeted with the usual birds, but also something horrific. The sounds of the walking dead groaning, shambling about, searching for flesh to eat and new victims to infect. The island that was already a military warzone was now turned into a zombie nightmare. The isolated island was full to the brim with zombies, and the survivors faced a challenge there. The airfields remain clogged with the undead and they shambled through every town, settlement, and populated area of the island. Just 12 days ago, US and Russian troops used the island as a war zone, battling it out to seize control of towns and even hilltops. Now what remained was the still smoking battlefield littered with walking corpses. However, survivors remain on the island. They managed to escape the inital wave of infection and remain human. This is the story of them. Their struggles, success, and lives in the zombie appocalypse. Many rumors have made their way amongst the survivors on the island. Weather it be the location of a boat that isnt really there or a supposedly "working helicopter" that turns out to be a charred metallic carcass of one. While the gunfire of American and Russian guns do not echo anymore, occasionally you will hear a shot in the distance. Or perhaps much closer than you think each shot is a signal of death or success. And 12 days after the infection, the morning is greeted with zombies and shots ringing out across the island.

Luka Schafer
Luka awoke to the sound of banging. Banding and moaning. He immediately looked to the door of the house he was residing in and noticed the large dresser he had was slowly being inched away from the door he had pushed it against. One of the undead had managed to get its arm in the crack of the door. His eyes widened and he quickly grabbed his backpack and shotgun. He also clipped his belt on hastily and donned his sniper veil and hat. He patted his leg to make sure his dive knife was still on it, which it was. He looked back to the door and saw the zombies making more progress. He realized the urgency and ran to the back of the house. Spying a bay window he took a deep breath and said, "This might not end well." He charged at the window and jumped at it, extending his leg so his boot faced the window. He made contact with the glass and it caved as he drove his boot into it. He crashed through the window and landed in a crouch after he had gotten through the glass. He looked at his arms and saw a few light cuts, but that was the extent of it. He saw some zombies notice him from the feat he had just done and he quickly got up onto his feet and began running from the building. He ducked into another building close by and got up the first flight of stairs in a stairwell right near the door he went in. He looked down the stairwell and saw the zombies get confused as they shambled at the door. He sighed in relief and waited to see if they would leave. He quietly checked his shotgun and concluded he had 4 buckshots loaded in it right now, half of the maximum capacity of the weapon.

Julia McKinley

Meanwhile Julia was perched atop the roof of one of the bigger buildings in Fisher's Corner. She had already been up for a bit and was already equipped for the day. Now that the sun was up she hefted her Guide Gun and used the scope to scan the town. She made note of the zombies shambling about the town, completely oblivious of her. After confirming there were a lack of other survivors in the town she pulled out a map and looked it over. She made note of her location and decided it would be a good idea to traverse around the bay to and see if there was anything worth scavenging there. She folded her map and did one more quick survey of the town before she slung her rifle and drew her M&P9c which she had just been keeping in the pocket of her jacket. She went down the stairs and out the back door. Luckily the house was on the north outskirts of town. She scurried out, keeping her pistol tight in her grip. she managed to evade any zombies and quietly made her way from the town. On the way out however she did spy one zombie notice her. It began to charge at her so she pulled her machete with her free hand and had it ready just as the zombie got to her. She swung and imbedded the machete in the undead's neck. she practically severed its head. She kicked the zombie back and yanked the machete free of the things spinal cord. It fell to the ground and she shook her machete, getting some of the blood off. she sheathed it once again and whispered, " Bloody zeds.."
A friendly desert community where the sun is hot, the moon is beautiful, and mysterious lights pass overhead while we all pretend to sleep. Welcome… To Night Vale." ~ Ciesel Palmer

LuckyMudman
Templar GrandMaster
Location: Croatia, the land of many islands (or so I have been told)

Re: Outbreak Alpha (IC)

#2 Post by LuckyMudman »

Elise Ratchet
Dreznica

Elise slumped down in a chair, her pack and revolver on the table in front of her. It had been more than twelve hours since she last stopped. She ran all the way from FOB Boriana, and she didn't stop, not for the night, not for succor. Only after she couldn't run anymore did she stop, and now, she was in a hunter's lodge in Dreznica. The lodge itself was a bit away to the north of the town, next to the treeline, so the undead horrors that were shambling through the town didn't come too close. She had closed all the windows and barred the doors by placing extra chairs underneath the doorknobs making the house as safe she could in a rush, but still, the sound of gunshots and images of her dead friends haunted her. She inspected her find, a CZ550 rifle chambered to 7x64mm rounds. It was a nice rifle, like one her grandfather had when he went hunting. She didn't really rummage through the rest of the house, she didn't have time nor strength for that. As she silently rocked in her chair, she could feel her eyelids closing. It wasn't warm in here, but it wasn't cold or humid either, nor could those horrific, dead moans be heard. Maybe she could rest, sleep, even if for just a moment...
Gabriel of creosha wrote:Far cry 3 Weed burner simulator 2012
Souls Of The Wild: A short story I'm writing, inspired by TwoKinds and Sword Of Truth.

y7h65
The Unpronounceable

#3 Post by y7h65 »

Grigori
Ukanc, The Gates

With a muted groan, I sat up in my bed, stretching and popping some joints while yawning. At least the sun did his job in waking me up and judging by the fact that my sleep passed uninterrupted, nothing got in either. Pulling myself out of bed as I tried to rub the sleep out of my eye, I walked over to the dresser in the office that I had since commandeered as my bedroom. It had been just a tad bit annoying for me to disassemble the bed and drag the mattress up here along with the dressers after having pushed all the office furniture down the stairs to form a barricade before moving my own stuff up here, but it was worth it.

Of course, there was a similar office on the factory floor but I chose this one for a few reasons. First of all, second floor is always better than ground floor in zombie situations. Second of all, this office was supported by multiple I beams and had, from what I had seen, a thick metal base. This meant that the only way to break in if I decided to break the stairs was to climb up smooth I beams. Finally and most importantly, this office had a carpet. The other one didn't. Even though it was still a bit on the dirty side even after a day or two of cleaning, I have gotten used to walking around barefoot on a floor that wasn't freezing to the touch after living in five or so different houses with carpets and I wasn't planning on breaking this streak over something like a zombie apocalypse.

As I pulled on a clean loose shirt and bra, I took a quick glance out the window at the shipping containers that formed the perimeter wall of my fort. Had to say, I wish I could put in windows into this place. If only life was like minecraft, then I would be able to put in glass panes or a hole in the wall without having to worry about the living dead pouring through. It was wishful thinking but at this point, wishful thinking was keeping me going. In this day and age, one only had their dreams and hopes to cling to. Without them, death was but a certainty.

Tugging on a pair of pants, I made my way to the armor that sat on a mannequin in the corner of the room. The metal of the helmet shone slightly in the light of the... late morning? sun. Humming, I grabbed the parts that made up the chest piece and strapped them on before grabbing my slashy sabre and crossbow. Didn't really expect to run into anything but these were interesting times where one could never walk without arms and blades.

Slipping into my boots and walking out of the office, I found myself on the scaffolding that overlooked the warehouse. It was, in a way, slightly beautiful and poetic. Massive machines spaced meters apart, all of them capable of shaping and cutting metals, titans of the industrial age, now left to rust with only myself as their caretaker as the world that had brought them up left them the instant the outlook turned bad. Leaning on the railing, I sighed wistfully for a moment before grabbing the toolbox that laid against the exterior wall of the office. After an hour or two of maintenance, I could probably relax in the crane and try to see the patterns of the horde today. But until then, the machines that made this place their home needed care and I was the only one capable of handing it out.
Local Type Moon Fanatic.

MrFlyingAmoeba
Grand Templar

#4 Post by MrFlyingAmoeba »

Kathy and Kristoff, Ribcev Laz

Kris snuck a peek around a corner, mentally grumbling at his find. Main street certainly is popular with zeds. Gripping his pistol tighter, he snuck towards a house, heading away from the main road.

Kathy Yu eyed the approaching figure through a crack in a purposefully dirty window which had been mostly barricaded by roughly hammered nails. "You're not from here, are you? No, a survivor." She muttered to herself, unaware of it entirely. "Murderer? Does killing zombies count as murder? They're not human, so I suppose not. Bandit? Maybe. I have a gun. Does he-yes, he has a gun. Should I get his attention? What if he's a necrophiliac and tries to make me his next victim? Well, I might be going crazy, so perhaps it's better if he gets me before I get him. Unless he wants to die. What am I supposed to do then?"

Kris approached the house cautiously, head on a swivel to make sure no zeds managed to creep up on him. Nothing. But... He could hear something, different than the standard zombie moaning and groaning. Turning his head towards the boarded-up window, Kris narrowed his eyes, continuing his approach but at a quickened pace with his pistol raised.

"Hssspt!" Kathy had never been very good at hissing. Where was your tongue supposed to go? And were fingers involved? She tapped on her window a few times, trying to guide the man-yes, it was definitely a man, unless it wasn't. She raised her voice slightly, keeping an eye out for anyone else. "Do you want me to kill you? No, wait, don't answer that. Do you need help? Everyone does. Need my help? The regular kind."

Kris lowered his pistol slightly, a quizzical look on his face. "I don't... What?" Shaking his head, he took a quick look around, naught for zeds and no other survivors besides him and this mysterious... Woman? Definitely a feminine voice. By this point he had reached the house, and not one to enjoy getting shot, ducked to the side of the window. Just in case. "Zombies, yeah? Not comfortable in having a casual conversation while standing out here."

There was a moment of silence, before the sound of a dozen sliding chains and locks dully echoed from inside the house. "Get inside. I could use your help. Don't try to kill me, or Bianca will get you first. Door's unlocked." Kathy backed up behind a ratty couch, revolver pointed at the door, which thankfully was rather hidden inside the alley. There were no bullets inside, but she didn't have to know that, did she? Maybe, but she wasn't going to tell a crazy person like herself that. Never give a lunatic a loaded gun, after all.

"Bianca...?" Kris trailed off, edging towards the door. Sticking to the wall next to it, he reached over, turned the handle, and slowly pushed it inward, waiting for the almost inevitable attack. Which never came. Surprising. With a shrug, Kris entered the house, pistol lowered but still somewhat pointed in the direction of the woman. As an afterthought, he pushed the door closed with his foot, careful to avoid it making too much noise.

"Bianca?" Kathy wrinkled her nose. "I would've said 'hello' or 'hi there' or at least something witty like 'Is that a gun in your hand, or am I hallucinating some fever dream'? Could you lock the door again, please? Thank you. It would be bad if we were eaten after going through the trouble of establishing trade routes."

"You mentioned Bianca getting me first if I tried to kill you. I assumed you had a companion, or were referring to yourself in third person." Turning, Kris began locking the door, keeping an eye on the revolver-wielding woman. She missed the perfect opportunity to shoot him, so it was unlikely that she would do so now. He was safe, for the moment.

"I did? Oh, yes. That's my revolver. Talking about myself in third person is just creepy. And crazy. Which, I might be a little bit of, but only a little. Nothing to worry about." She replied comfortably, holstering Bianca on her thigh and standing up to brush errant dirt off her knees.

"I'm Kathy Yu. Want something to eat? Of course you do. It's not poisoned. I might accidentally kill myself if I tried to do that. Anyway, I'd rather talk to a living person than a poisoned person. You'd probably just complain about the agony in your muscles or something, and that's just boring. Push that chair against the door, please. Don't worry about noise, I caulked almost all of the house. Stuffy when it's hot, but the holes in the floor help." Ceasing her endless flood of 'conversation', Kathy sat down onto the couch, gesturing idly at a nearby cupboard, where presumably the promised food resided.

"You named your revolver? That's far from the craziest thing I've heard lately." Kris chuckled, moving the chair against the door and propping it under the doorknob. "Kristoff Armistead. Feel free to call me Kris or Ry." He shook his head, grabbing a chair from nearby and sitting in it. "No thanks, not hungry."

"Well, Kris or Ry, I'm going to take a nap. It would be great if you didn't kill or rob or mutilate me in my sleep. Or do something like open any door at all. Thanks." Without another word, the slightly-cracked woman flopped her head back on the couch cushions, falling silent.

"I, uh... Okay then." Kris' face adopted a quizzical look again, but he resisted saying anything else for the moment. Instead, he took his backpack off and set it next to him, unslinging his rifle and resting it in his lap.
Red Mage Statscoski wrote:That is not how we do things around here, buddy. First we have to argue incessantly over semantics.

Stryder221
Templar GrandMaster

#5 Post by Stryder221 »

Varil Grant

"Let's see what we have here... Ah, jackpot! No, hold on... Damn it, there's no engine...!"
Varil swore under his breath, convinced that he had finally had some luck, only to be disappointed. The truck in his hideout's garage was no good as transportation.
Even if he COULD find a working engine, he was no grease monkey, he didn't know right from wrong with these things...

The only thing worth taking was a chocolate bar under the seats. Who knew how long it's been sitting there, but it was still wrapped, at least...
That will have to go to Celia... God knows what she had to eat while she hid here, a bit of candy would cheer her up, at least...

Celia Vance

"No, please! Mum! Dad!"
"Stay back! They're not our parents, not anymore!"
Celia's former parents were slowly advancing on her. Her brother standing before them with a fire axe.

"Just run! Find somewhere to hide, I'll hold them back!"
That was the last thing she heard from him before the shambling monsters grabbed him, the father taking a bite out of his neck.

"Just... Go already...!"
Celia turned to run, only to find her infected mother standing in the way. She clawed at her, leaning in to take a bite.

"Hey, wake up..."
With a gasp, Celia awoke.

She'd apparently fallen asleep on the bed, the blue burglar from last night shaking her awake.
With a yawn, she sat upright, taking in her environment.

Celia was still at the house she'd hidden at when she ran for dear life. Both she and the blue-furred stranger were on the second floor, in one of the bedrooms.
It was a simple two story house, with a (Cleaned out) kitchen, living room, and a garage on the first floor, with only bedrooms and an attic on the second.

"Good morning to you. You feeling alright?"
"No..."
She didn't feel alright at all. Her mother, father, and brother were all dead. Not many people would feel fine after that.
In fact, she was on the verge of tears, remembering the incident and her nightmare so clearly...

"Well... I found this in the garage, I was thinking that maybe you'd want it..."
It was then that Celia noticed him hold out a chocolate bar, still wrapped. With a mumble of "Thank you.", she took it, tearing off the wrapping eagerly.

[POV switch!]

Varil placed a plastic water bottle on the nightstand next to the fox-child's bed, and sat on a chair opposite of her, watching the sunrise out the window while she enjoyed her snack.
It's actually quite pretty, if you ignore the zombie apocalypse...

He pulled out his map, and began to plot a route, still thinking of finding a way out of this mess.
Well, the closest airport is northeast, near Arnoldstein... But I already came from there, it's probably a chaotic pile of rubble by now... There's Airport Lesce, but that's on the other side of the island, and I can forget Smuggler's Den, that's even further away...!

I'll have to go south, it's the shortest path I can really take. We'll stop to scavenge in the towns we pass through, that's at least six stops... I just hope bandits aren't holed up in those places, that's the last thing I need, considering my last encounter...

Unconsciously, Varil reached up to his left ear, remembering how much of it got blown off by that bandit. It was lightly bandaged in an attempt to stop the bleeding, which succeeded.

Of course, a working car would be REALLY nice, too... I don't fancy taking a hike through zombie-infested woods...
"Um... Mister?"
"Hmm?"

Celia was tugging at his jacket, finished with her candy, and clearly trying to get his attention. He folded up the map and put it in his bag.
"What is it?"
"I'm... I'm still hungry..."

Varil sighed. He couldn't really blame the kid for being as hungry as she was... He reached into his backpack, pulling out some canned fruit.
After rushing downstairs to grab a can opener, finding, and using said can opener, he handed the can of fruit to the poor girl.
"I don't have much of that stuff, you know... We'll have to find more somewhere outside... I'm not leaving you here alone, so once you're done, we're both heading out, alright?"

"Okay, mister."
"Please, just call me Varil..."
E͎͖̯̱̻͡r̲͇r͢҉͈͚ò͈̹̰̩̺͓̝̘̟̕r̨̡̺̥̲̰͕̭̬:̵͙̦̟̮̖̯̞́͢ ̴̛̞̙͙̠̲̝̟S̵͎̼̖̜̯͕̺͔̀i̶͉̟̝̻͕̺g̢̤͕n̴͈̩̝͓͖̹͕̟͢a͕̺̱͞ț̸̛͓u̢̥̣̣̰̪ͅr̨̠͙̯̣̣̘̠ḛ̡̨̟̗̥̰̱̻ͅ ̻̮̼̥͕̼͉͎u͏͔̳n͏͔͈̭̭͟a̮͕͖̲͕͙͔ͅv̺̦̼̥̭͙a͏҉̦̺̫̯i̝̙̳̜l̴̡̳̥͠a̢̘̬͈͢ͅb̶̶̦͉͙́ḷ̸̙̙̳̩̥́e͔̪̳̦̫͚̪̹ͅ.͖̠̗͔̖̞ͅ

the red soldier
Even my blood is socialist red.

#6 Post by the red soldier »

On the outskirts of Taff Grove, about a mile from the towns limits one could guess, a pretty big horde of zombies surrounded a building, a gas station to be more specific, relentlessly trying to break in.

Inside was a man in a suit, wearing a gas mask with one of the lens busted. The man busily went from one window to another, stabbing every visible limb with a crowbar. "Tabarnac de calice!" He screamed. The current situation being quite pointless, the man started to devise a new plan of action. Quickly glancing at the stuff in the gas station, he noticed a ladder heading to the roof. Next to it he found several gas canisters and by the looks of them, they were full.

Not thinking this through at all, he started pouring the gasoline on everything in the store. Next he bashed his own barricades so some of the zombs could get through, into his not so clever trap. Bolting for the ladder, he quickly glanced back, shooting a few shots with his pistol rifle to ignite the gasoline covering most of everything. Before long the entire building was up in flames as the man found himself on the roof of the burning building.

Clearly not a time to think his actions through, he quickly glanced down the sides of the building for anything squishy to jump on. He did notice about a dozen burning corpses flailing about but more importantly, a cargo truck was conveniently parked right next to the building. With a loud TUD, he jumped on top of the truck, crawling along side it and then making another jump on top of what seemed like a trailer home. Looking back, the mess he just made was easily noticeable for miles around as the a giant pillar of smoke rose through the air. The sight of the burning building and the burning corpses still running around simply made a smile cross his face before he continued onward before the horde noticed where he went.

Geo_&_Bio
Grand Templar

#7 Post by Geo_&_Bio »

(Apparently , I wasn't the only one who thought of burning down a building... dammit red, you beat me to it(By like, half a day or more.(I still went on with it because I didn't want to rewrite it :oops: .))

In the town of Dreznica, a small house nearing the town line up closer to the north, Wolfgang was asleep in a bed. Most of the hoard was closer in town anyways and only a few zombies mingled around where he was at and it was difficult to find him. His time as a smuggler of arms for this island has taught him many things about keeping sneaky. However, he knew it wasn’t totally secure, as the windows were boarded up and the doors were secured. Wolfgang opened his eyes and slinked out of his bed, still a bit dazed of morning rest. His long hike through the mountain was rigorous, but it was necessary as those zombies managed to block the road to the FOB Airfield. He probably should have brought his machinegun with him, or some rockets; but if he was going to survive this trip and get out, he needed to be as light as possible. The money is what’s important now.

When Wolfgang first entered this house, after boarding the place up, was to scavenge the entire place. Toilet paper, more cigarettes, some alcohol, and a bit of food that still good, yet no weapons or ammo; regret fell upon Wolfgang when realizing this, he should of brought more ammo from one of his goods caches, but he didn’t think he would blow through them fighting off zombies. Wolfgang seemed to remember one of his caches near the FOB, smuggled away in his locked up armory; doubtful any zombies or soldiers could have gotten to it, and it should provide some place safe until he gets out of this god forsaken island.

As Wolfgang was getting dressed, knocking and pounding came from the door. Wolfgang went to the peephole on the door; looking out he could see a good amount of zombies trying to get in. “Scheiße!” he whispered to himself, the house he borrowed now under siege. He decided to pack everything he had in his bag and grabbed his suitcase as fast as he could. He looked at the back window of the house leading north, no-one, good. And then back again to the front door, still have plenty of time. More knocking grew louder and more obnoxious. “Don’t come in, I am naked.” He joked, moving quickly to the oven. He opened up the latch and turned on the gas. “Mien vater once told me, ‘never leave the stove on, you could burn the house down’”. The Knocking grew louder and moans began to fill the front entrance. “Hold on, let me get dressed dammit.” He joked again, rushing to the bed. He looked around and found an old newspaper from the recently finished war. “Mien mutter once told me, ‘never shmoke in the bed, it could burn the house down.’” He began lighting the newspaper with his lighter, and threw the burning script upon the bed so it sets it aflame. “I’m so sorry; I am such a terrible listener.” Smirking an increasingly wolfish smile. The Bed was now ablaze; taking out one of his cigars, he used the burning bed as a lighter, setting one end into the flame and inhaling from the other. Normally he would cut it, but this was an urgent matter.
The door began to make a cacophony of terrible moaning and knockings, the front windows were smashed and their barricades began to break. The Door’s lock managed to break and the door began to move ever so slowly open. “Yes, yes, you may now come in. Thank you for being patient, you damn Schwachkopfs.” Wolfgang opened the rear window and managed to slip out. He could hear the zombies shamble into the house, but Wolfgang’s more worried about getting away from the blast radius. He ran to the woods, as fast as he could, occasionally looking back to see if he was being followed. One or two zombies, but they seem to be more interested in the house for some reason. He went from a full run to a casual walk, talking to himself in German. <“ Ah, the great escape from authorities, what a wonderful feeling to be had, a sense of accomplishment just by outwitting the. I never thought I’d go as far as arson, but in the business were anything can happen, sometimes it’s best to improvise.>” He was surprised that the House hasn’t blown up yet, but it matters not to him. As long as they burn and he is free, he couldn’t care less. Cigar happily in his mouth as he marches, hopefully unto the main road which’ll lead straight to the FOB.

(May come near Elise, or not; depends if she wants interaction with him.)
The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Twokindsofawsome
Hopelessly Romantic

#8 Post by Twokindsofawsome »

Luka had waited now and was satisfied when he did not see any zombies near the door frame. He descended the stairs and peered out the door, aiming his shotgun as he did so. Seeing that the zombies had dispersed, he ventured out of the building and quickly headed for the exit of the town. He snuck to the exit and then went to walking along the road. There were less zombies in between towns so he felt safer not sneaking around on the road. After a bit of walking he passed a dirt road that provided access to another town, which He didnt want to go. As he walked he looked at his shotgun and flipped the metal folding stock down. After doing that he shouldered the weapon to get a feel for the stock and the sight. The sighting consisted of pistol type iron sights with green dots for night time aiming and easier sight picture. Satisfied he put his weapon back down. He realized the weapon was only half loaded, so he took 4 more buckshot rounds and fully loaded the shotgun. 7 shells in the tube and one in the chamber. After doing this he came up to a bridge crossing a river into another town. He could see a fairly good amount of zombies on the other side. He sighed and said, "Oh boy, fun time. Good thing I loaded my shotgun."

Meanwhile, Julia had made her way around the bay that was sepperating Fisher's Corner from the military outpost. She had her rifle slung and her pistol in her holster momentarily while she took her shemagh from her neck and wrapped it around her face. As a common practice of most bandits, she was hiding her face to protect her identity. After securing the wrap on her face, she took her rifle into her hands and looked across the water. She could not yet see the outpost yet, but she knew it was not too far off, relatively speaking. She kept on walking and yawned, still a little sleepy from the early wake up. Despite being a bandit she wasn't entirely inhumane, so she still grasped the concept of tiredness. She didn't really choose to be a bandit just to brutally kill others, but it was a means of prevention and getting supplies. She sighed, thinking about what she had been doing. She would start to like some company, but no one could be trusted right now.
A friendly desert community where the sun is hot, the moon is beautiful, and mysterious lights pass overhead while we all pretend to sleep. Welcome… To Night Vale." ~ Ciesel Palmer

Twokindsofawsome
Hopelessly Romantic

#9 Post by Twokindsofawsome »

Luka crossed the bridge cautiously, careful not to prematurely alert any zombies. Once across he scanned the town and realized that he had room to dodge the zombies if need be, and there were not many points where he could not escape them. He collected himself before deciding to break out into a run through the town. He ran in a Northeast direction, trying to link up with the main road going through the town. At first a good few zombies noticed him, but he swerved behind walls to shake them from him. He kept up the hustle until he ultimately managed to escape and get on the road out of the town, but he dare not quit running yet. Looking behind him he saw he had 5 zombies in tow. He kept the chase up until he was a fair distance from the town, and rather tired out. He then spun around to face the undead. They were rather clustered together, so this would be easy work. He shouldered his shotgun and aimed at a zombie in the center of the group. He let a shot out followed swiftly with racking the pump, expelling the spent shell and loading another buckshot. 2 of the 5 undead had fallen from the first shot. He let out two more shots, and had successfully downed his undead pursuers. He racked the shotgun once more. He now had 5 shots left loaded in the weapon, and the pouch on his belt jingled with more shells. The hyena noticed one zombie still clinging to life so he drew his dive knife and rammed it into the abomination's skull. He yanked the blade free and shook the gore off before returning it to his kydex leg sheath. He sighed in between his winded gasps for air. The young hyena slung his shotgun over his shoulder and sighed before carrying onward down the road. Luckily, none of the shots had alerted any more zombies.

Meanwhile, Julia had nearly reached FOB Brown. She could clearly see the buildings and the zombies lumbering this way and that around the barracks. Most of the zeds were clad in military gear, but it was torn and bloody. As Julia approached, her ears stood up as she heard a shot from a pistol. One of the zombies around the barracks went down after the shot. She immediately got into a low position, sitting on the ground. She steadied her rifle on her leg and aimed down the scope. Scanning the barracks she saw a survivor, a young human male, hugging the wall of one of the buildings and holding a small pistol. He looked as if he was ready to pop out from cover to shoot another undead. However he looked Julia's way and paused for a second. He frantically fumbled in a pouch and drew some binoculars and looked towards Julia. This frightened her and she centered the crosshairs on the man's head she drew in a deep breath and slowly exhaled before pulling the trigger and letting a 30-06 round fly. She quickly cycled the bolt as it hit the man and there was a spray of blood before he fell to the ground. Julia winced at the sight and it left her heart racing. The zombies around the barracks, smelling the stench of blood, rushed to the fallen survivor and began congregating around it. Julia saw this and said quietly, "ah, perfect." she slung her rifle, drew her pistol and moved in. With the distraction of the body, she was able to check the barracks, where she found nothing more than a pack of chem-lights and a few random rounds she picked up, including a STANAG magazine, and a few batteries. She didn't want to check the corpse of the survivor because of the swarm of zombies and furthermore, he only had a pistol anyways. She decided to head to the main road to travel. She was a bit disappointed she didn't find anything amazing at the outpost. That survivor had probably already cleaned the place out before she got there. She headed out towards the road with no zombies spotting her because they were still feasting on the corpse. She reached the road and began walking along it, trading out her pistol in favor of her rifle, so she could engage any survivors further down the road. She adjusted her shemagh, wrapped around her feline face. It did give her the standard bandit appearance. After that she reached into a pouch on her jacket and pulled out 1 more rifle round and loaded it into her rifle, giving her full capacity again.

Stryder221
Templar GrandMaster

#10 Post by Stryder221 »

"Junk... Trash... Rotten... Expired..."
"Isn't this stealing, Mr.Varil?"
"Not in a zombie apocalypse, it's not like anyone would really want money."

Varil was sifting through store shelves, looking for any goods still left. A Zed with a cracked skull laid nearby at the windows, recently brained with the cash register. Celia looked about ready to lose her stomach contents whenever she looked at it. The smell wasn't much better, either...
A general store was a good place to scavenge, in Varil's mind. There would be all sorts of things to find, including food, and maybe ammunition...
He trusted Celia to keep an eye out for a horde while he searched.

"Ooh, lovely. I'll just grab this... And that, too..."

Varil grabbed out two boxes of breakfast cereal, fruit flavored.
Surprisingly enough, the store shelves weren't all that empty. Bits and pieces of merchandise still remained in their place.
Give it another week or two, though, and nothing would be left...

"EEEEK! The dead people!"

[censored]...

Celia rushed behind Varil as he looked to see at least a dozen or so Zed pounding on the doors, moaning, groaning, and growling.
"Time to go!"

Thankfully, the doors opened outward only, meaning that Varil at least had time to plan their escape before the Zed broke in.
Thinking fast, he grabbed one of the store's shopping carts, piling it up with all sorts of heavy junk, including the blood-stained cash register.

"Kyle?!"

Kyle? Who the hell is Kyle?
Varil paused briefly to see who this "Kyle" was.
A fox anthro, in his late teens was among the dead outside, his neck mutilated with giant bite marks. He actually looked pretty simiar to Celia, who was in tears...
Oh, so that was her brother? Poor kid...

"C'mon, on my back, and don't let go for anything."

Still sobbing, Celia clambered up on Varil's back as he finished constructing his "battering ram".
The door was cracking under the zombie assault, it wouldn't last much longer.

"You know when grown-ups tell you everything's going to be alright, but they're probably lying to make you feel better?"
"Y-yes."

"Everything's going to be fine."
With those last words, Variil began to run at the horde, pushing the heavy cart along.

*CRASH!*

The doors burst open as the cart plowed through, knocking away the zombies unfortunate enough to be near the doors, and possibly "killing" a few.
He let go of the cart once he was clear of the horde, and ran at a full sprint with Celia still clinging to his back.
E͎͖̯̱̻͡r̲͇r͢҉͈͚ò͈̹̰̩̺͓̝̘̟̕r̨̡̺̥̲̰͕̭̬:̵͙̦̟̮̖̯̞́͢ ̴̛̞̙͙̠̲̝̟S̵͎̼̖̜̯͕̺͔̀i̶͉̟̝̻͕̺g̢̤͕n̴͈̩̝͓͖̹͕̟͢a͕̺̱͞ț̸̛͓u̢̥̣̣̰̪ͅr̨̠͙̯̣̣̘̠ḛ̡̨̟̗̥̰̱̻ͅ ̻̮̼̥͕̼͉͎u͏͔̳n͏͔͈̭̭͟a̮͕͖̲͕͙͔ͅv̺̦̼̥̭͙a͏҉̦̺̫̯i̝̙̳̜l̴̡̳̥͠a̢̘̬͈͢ͅb̶̶̦͉͙́ḷ̸̙̙̳̩̥́e͔̪̳̦̫͚̪̹ͅ.͖̠̗͔̖̞ͅ

Tyendinaga
Templar Inner Circle

#11 Post by Tyendinaga »

Who:The Unknown Man.
Where:Unkanc, North western outskirts approach.

With each step the man took the grass beneath him rustled ever so slightly, as was expected of longer somewhat overgrown grass. His path through the woodland only illuminated slightly by the stray rays of sunlight that had begun to pierce through the many overhanging leaves and branches as he weaved his way through the tangled mess of roots and haphazardly placed trees that only a couple dozen years and the sheer power of nature could manage to ever hope to muster. Of course though, there was little time to be had to take in the beauty of nature as a whole. Such things were at the back of most peoples minds with the threat of a zombie apocalypse having come to be realised. Of course, this man wouldn't have doubted that there were some people who would treat this more so like a vacation than a crisis. Most of those folks were probably dead already.

As much as he could have stopped to think about the philosophy behind their collective situation, there was little time to waste. All he could do was proceed forward in what was a simple hike to the South east. It wasn't exactly a short hike either, having started late last night up near the small village of Fusine, and though it was a mere few kilometers away, the terrain itself was punishing even for a fit man, and the need to avoid the survivors and zombies was not a task to be taken lightly, what was a maybe an hours walk on flat ground had been transformed into a grueling five hour debacle complete with a couple stops at a few small villages along the way that he had embarked on at maybe two last night. His goal with all this was Ukanc, Well. At least one of his stops was Ukanc. There was little he could do aside from simply explore and seek out proper supplies. Maybe the zombies would eventually die off completely or get themselves messed up so much that maybe most would become harmless sacks of broken bones with the occasional missing limb. One could hope at least.

Soon enough though, the forest had begun to thin out, the evidence of years of logging and land clearing that tended to coincide with human development and land clearance, perhaps they liked to thin out the trees as one neared a settlement, or maybe it had originally been cleared but some green lover decided they needed to replant a few things, or someone else wanting to hide something from plain view in the past. Eventually though the trees themselves cut off, leaving him to exit out into a slight field, Ukanc clearly in view. It was a smaller place, hidden within the forest, itself, numerous small buildings grouped up together with a small factory district somewhere in the back. Like some little businessman who wanted to take advantage of the lake, and who wouldn't? Perfect for cooling hot machinery, or getting something to drink. The little town that surrounded it was probably little more than people wishing to live close to their place of work. The beauty of it though was the fact it was out of the way. Practically in the middle of nowhere with only one road coming in or out. If it weren't for maps and other small factors almost no one save for locals would probably know it was even here.

Soon enough he continued forward, his feet taking him through the grass and into the small town itself in what was a soft jog. The first building he came across he immediately pressed himself up against it, the white vinyl siding, or what would have been white if you washed it for once vinyl siding, creaked every so softly under the pressure his leaning body would put against it. One had to be careful as they entered villages and towns like these. Larger towns were almost suicide alone and the forest was relatively safe even during the daytime save for the occasional animal but small places still posed a threat, so innocent as they may look. Slowly he slid himself along the siding, his mind ever reminding of the presence of the blade under his right arm, and the rifle that sat strapped over his back. With a peak around the corner he looked, waiting for a few moments as he sat there. It was quiet, everything was, that was a sad realisation of the apocalypse, it was all too quiet, the sort of quiet that made your ears ring and heart sound like a Boeing taking off in your chest simply because there was nothing else to hear.

Nothing.

His eyes shifted a bit as he pulled away from the building, his feet crisscrossing over one another as he strafed across the street, soon hugging up against the side of another building, this time brick, as he turned the corner into the alleyway between it and another building just near it. It was then though that an all too familiar slight stench had hit his nose. If there was one thing about undead, aside from the bits missing out of them and the moaning that would give them away, it would be the scent. Many of them smelt absolutely terrible in their half decayed sun exposed state, with a good downwind you could smell one a mile away. Moving further he crossed further, finding himself on the alley exit to a parallel street and once he looked past, the very thing he had smelt was just a short ways away, a smaller zombie, wiry, thin, emaciated, not unlike something you'd see out of a girl with an eating disorder simply eating at a dead corpse too far too damaged to ever become a dangerous zombie at this point.

The clip on the near his waist opened with a soft click shortly before the blade it held was drawn out. Taking a few looks out from where he stood within the cover he noted the simple fact it seemed everything was clear enough to ensure some relative safety around him. With that he merely stood out from his cover and slowly but surely creeped towards the gorging zombie, his footsteps chosen with care and caution as not a sound came from him as he moved. Merely a foot away he stopped, raising his machete up and aiming its sharped tip towards the back of the zombies neck while the other reached out near the back of its head. He took one final breath it and out. In what was almost an instant his left hand darted out, gripping and pulling back on what was left of the zombies hair while his right shot forward with as much of his weight as he could muster behind it. The rotting flesh merely gave way as the hefty blade sheared through, parting a vertebrae before gouging its way out through the zombies own throat. In that instant the undead being had fell limp, falling from his blade and onto the body it had moments ago fed upon, twitching slightly. It was not dead, merely disabled, its nervous system damaged well beyond any form of repair.

With a slight sigh he removed a small cloth from his pocket, stained brown from putrid long dead blood, and merely wiped it down the sides of his blade before simply sheathing and securing his blade once more, and pocketing the cloth. Following a quick stretch he continued forward, disappearing into another Alley between a pair of buildings across the street.

There was work to be done.

MUDPUNISHER
Grand Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Natani

#12 Post by MUDPUNISHER »

Sliding up from a sitting position in an old rotting mattress in a brick house in Ucank I stepped to the window and looked out, parting the decayed grey moldy curtains slightly to look out and see a man stab a zombie with a rather large knife ok... Stay away from that one for sure. walking away from the second story window I slid my gear back on, the mags for the tiger that hung from my shoulder slipped into grooves cut into the leather belt I wore. I had a destination, kobarid, just over the mountains. If I wanted to get there today I had to get a move on. Checking I had my equipment I slid the heavy bookcase aside from the door, my heavy judge loaded down with .45 in my right hand.

Stepping into the sun I checked both ways before checking the sun and setting my course, I had a long walk, a full canteen and guns... Great. As I went down the road I went silently, until I was really sure I was far out of town, at two miles I stepped onto the road, walking due west, a long way to go and hopefully non zombie infested mountains, my map showed a small farm house, perhaps containing supplies I could use.

As I went I put my bat in the left hand, keeping a single steady pace along the way, I'd be there by nightfall at latest.
Nuclear Cowboy
Gotta build them flat decks.
Manchild with to much disposable income and not enough sense to spend it well

Stryder221
Templar GrandMaster

#13 Post by Stryder221 »

"Hah... Hah... Oh god... That was... Too. Freaking. close..."
Varil panted heavily, sitting on the roof of a cheap motel.
Put simply, he was exhausted. He had climbed the first Pipe he saw leading upward like some kind of monkey, and afterward done some insane crazy roof-running parkour crap. All with the added weight of a child clinging to his back... But still, if the Zed Managed to follow him after all that, he'd eat his gun.

He heard sobbing, and turned to see Celia crying her eyes out.
That was her brother she saw as a zombie, after all...

"It's not fair! Why?! Why did they take them away?! Mum and dad...! My bro... And they turned them into... Monsters...! Why are they doing this?! What did we ever do?!"
Varil didn't know what to say... He'd never dealt with grief nor many children in his life...
Celia then turned to him, her eyes of course flooded with tears.

"They'll take you, as well! Just you wait, they'll make sure everyone around me is one of them! And then... I'll be alone again... It's probably better if we just..."
"Stop. Don't say things like that."

Varil put a hand on her shoulder while he attempted to calm her down.
"Look, you have plenty of reason to cry. That's your family turned to zombies... But I made you a promise, I won't have you getting yourself killed. We're getting off this island, and that's the end of it. Got it?"

Celia sniffed and looked up at Varil once with her teary eyes, before launching into him with a bone-crushing hug.
"You... I understand... Thank you... So much..."
"It's alright, if we don't look out for each other, who will?"

After a few more minutes, Varil did eventually manage to calm the poor girl down. He stood up to observe the streets below, apparently looking for something.
"Mister Varil? What are you...?"
"Looking for a car. I don't feel like walking 100 miles or so."
"To where?"
"Kobarid. There's an airport there, and if we're lucky we might find a plane or something, and we can fly ourselves off this rock."

"But if we want to get there sometime today, we need a working car."

Twokindsofawsome
Hopelessly Romantic

#14 Post by Twokindsofawsome »

The hyena anthro that was Luka walked tiredly down the road. His previous chase had worn him out, and he didnt have much of a break. He was already coming up on another town. Luckily though he didn't HAVE to go through this town. Instead he could duck into the woods and skirt around the town, avoiding any zombies. He did just this and hiked up into the foliage as he approached the outskirts of the town. He kept his footing on the raw terrian as he walked by the town, looking down into it, watching the zombies shamble about within it. He sighed and a familiar song came to mind which reminded him of the current times. As he walked, he began making the beat in his head with the footsteps and began to sing it lightly. "Oh there Ain't no rest for the wicked, money doesn't grow on trees. I got bills to pay, I got mouthes to feed, ain't nothing in this world for free. Oh no we cant slow down oh we cant hold back though you know you wish we could. Oh no there ain't no rest for the wicked, until we close our eyes for good." he continued to hum the song, even though his only audience was the distant undead in the nearby town. He hiked for quite sometime. Rather than stay on alert and keep his shotgun in his hands, he had it slung and on his back. Once he had converged back onto the road, he found he was roughly across the stream from Dolje. He had just passed the town of Volce then, he assumed.

Julia meanwhile, was right now cutting across the the wilderness, to meet up the road a little farther north. Se had gotten away from the desert right now and was in the normal lush green vegetation that covered the majority of the island. She walked with her rifle in her hands, vigilant to search for survivors, though she let her guard down more in the wilderness than the woods. After a short while of walking she got a view of the road. She raised her rifle, as always and scanned the road. Once she demed it safe she slowly made her way to the side of the road. She ended up not being too far off from a town.

MrFlyingAmoeba
Grand Templar

#15 Post by MrFlyingAmoeba »

Dreams are strange things. So vivid while they occur, and yet the instant we try to remember them upon awakening, they disappear like the early morning mist. This might be a regrettable thing for those whose dreams are truly that, dreams of whimsy and fantasy, but when the sleep is filled with nightmare, one can only sigh with relief as they fade, hopefully left with mere shadows of discomfort. Sometimes, however, the nightmares, being more powerful than dreams, will stay with the awakened until they must yet fall back into their clutches the following night.

None of this was relevant to Kathy right now, as she had only slept for a short while. REM sleep is not something that occurs during a power nap, unless the person in question has become used to such a thing. Kathy was not one of these people.

Slitting her eyes open, she watched the person in the room for a few seconds. "A finger of rye sounds both disgusting and tasty." She sounded depressed, as if discussing something of great emotional turmoil. Kathy curled up into a ball on the couch, sighing. "I'm not angry, am I? I don't think I am, but I wouldn't know."

Kris was busy cleaning his rifle when the woman awoke, running a cleaning rod through the barrel. Even if he wasn't busy he likely wouldn't have noticed her eyes opening, he was attentive to small details, but at this distance he'd have needed to be staring at her like a creep to notice.

Then the woman spoke, alerting Kris that she was awake. "Ah, you're awake?" He smiled gently for a moment, but frowned when she curled up. "Something wrong?"

She blinked at Kris a few times, sitting up then cocking her head to the left. Sadness was replaced by curiosity before she said a single word. "Of course there is. Haven't you noticed all the zombies about? Ooh, do they look like regular humans to you? That would be so very interesting if we were all hallucinating zombies when they were actually normal people like us."

"Normal humans don't attempt to eat your flesh." Kris remarked, beginning to reassemble his rifle. "I meant aside from the zed apocalypse." He slid the barrel into place as he spoke, locking it and making sure it was secure.

"Oh, certainly." She got up and began stretching, making odd grunts of satisfaction as various muscles were used. "I'm rather frustrated, and there might be a whole slew of other problems that I don't know about. Can't do much about them right now, and since the mortality rate on this island is so high, it shouldn't matter in the end."

"Well, I don't know about you, but I don't intend to become one of the shambling masses or another casualty." He shrugged, inserting a magazine into the rifle and cycling the bolt, chambering a round. "But then again, it's not like anyone ever intends to die. Well, except those who commit suicide." With his rifle reassembled and loaded, he leaned it against the chair and stood, approaching the cupboard she had pointed to before taking a nap. "You wouldn't happen to have any coffee, would you?"

"Yes. No! Wait, yes. Ye-yes." She considered the matter further. "Yes. The virus is transmitted by fluids for sure, but it doesn't seem to be capable of surviving long term contact with the air, or maybe sunlight. Anyway, I have a lot of stored tap water from before. Safety first and all that. Instant and regular, but use the instant. I want to save the gas."

Opening the cupboard, he retrieved the container of instant coffee and set it on the counter, looking around for a moment. "Where's the water?" He could just grab a pouch from his bag, or, hell, use the water in his canteen, but the woman didn't seem terribly hesitant in letting him use her supplies.

She pointed at a nearby tank, currently occupied with touching her toes. "After you slake your addiction, we should go and investigate Ukanc. There's only one person that I think could have been making a lot of noise a while ago, and she might have some things I need. Would've gone alone, but it's better with someone else."

"Oh? If we're going to be traveling, I suppose making it in my canteen would be the best course of action." Kris had refilled it recently at the lake, even taking the time to boil the water beforehand. It was roughly three-quarters full still. Reaching down to his waist, he unclipped it from his belt and set it on the counter, grabbing a nearby spoon and setting about making some instant coffee.
Red Mage Statscoski wrote:That is not how we do things around here, buddy. First we have to argue incessantly over semantics.