Across a Second Sea, Episode 1: The War to End All Wars

Play around with roles and whatnot in here, I suppose.

Moderator: Moderators

MeaCulpa, S.C.M.
The Last Gunslinger

Across a Second Sea, Episode 1: The War to End All Wars

#1 Post by MeaCulpa, S.C.M. »

Episode 1: The War to End All Wars
—Urosa IV, 40 LY from CSH borders: Human Calendar December 31st, 2999 AD—
No one was bold enough to so much as drop a pen. Utter silence filled Colonel Kolisk’s (General Kolisk, now, he reminded himself) office as the news was brought to him.

Not one spy, nor five. Twenty eight. Twenty eight traitors, all of them officers with faked birth certificates, elite training, and advanced technology, struck across every frontier on every far-off continent. Every Messiln front-line general—all of them implacably brave, noble men—had perished within an hour. Their eyes were vigilantly fixed on the horizon, so they were too trusting, too dignified, to look over their shoulder. Millions of acres of hard-earned land from proxy wars, espionage, and skirmishes—lost in an afternoon, in a single, well-executed attack. Kolisk had been promoted from Colonel to General overnight out of desperate necessity.

The silos had, miraculously, been left untouched—and not one had been fired. Even in the midst of the most well-planned attack, they had not been willing to fire a single WMD. It was both relieving and chilling at once. The Keshin now knew where the Messiln were not willing to go.

They had to do some show of force. There was no other way. “Turn on the news, Cadet,” he ordered. A young, pale-crested youth (how young are they these days—he’s barely pubescent, with a crest barely a hand above his head, the general thought) picked up a remote and turned on the local news. This was a forward operating base in one of Messil's proxy countries--originally considered a buffer to a buffer, now quickly becoming a frontline. Already, Keshin broadcasts had begun to make their way to the local air waves.

Kolisk’s crest flared red as Nulahk Rut—the Keshin’s dictator of twenty years—denied any and all involvement in the spy attack. This denial, of course, did not stop him from sending in occupation forces. What Messiln troops were left were now, conveniently, POWs.

“Look at him insulting us,” Kolisk growled. “It’s mockery. He’s just daring us to counter-attack.”

The same pale-crested youth turned to his leader. “General Kolisk,” he asked, “What do we do?”

“The only option left to us.” He took a corded phone from his desk. It had no numbers to dial—it was connected to exactly one person.

“Madame Minister,” he said as he heard the phone lifted by the most powerful woman in the world a thousand miles away, back in Messil—a land he too often dreamed of, and one he knew he would not be seeing any time soon.

“Speaking.” Minister Mayis responded with an aged, gruff voice that seemed uncharacteristic for a woman who had, before her political office, frequently won beauty pageants.

“Do we have a go to begin reclamation?” He asked. He wasted no time pretending he had any other motive than to take back what was rightfully under Messiln occupation.

“You understand what you’re suggesting. This isn't just a proxy country or two. This is a full-scale military operation. This is—“

“No, Minister, it doesn't have to come to that.”

A moment of fertile silence—he could sense (or simply guess) a mixture of relief and interest.

“Go on, General,” Mayis said, guarded.

“We mobilize our sleepers. Not the proxies—they’re all dead or compromised. We mobilize our Shessen assets, and begin Operation Blacksong.”

“What you’re suggesting—“

“Is a contingency plan that has been in development and absolute secrecy for two decades. There is no better time to use it. It will sow absolute discord in their highest ranks, it will disorganize them down to each and every fire team. It was made to shatter their spine, and it will do just that.”

“It’s awful convenient timing, isn’t it? That itself would give it away—“

“It’s awful convenient for their own officials, too. Or did you forget what Rut does to his second in command whenever he gets a boost in power?”

He had overstepped his bounds with that comment, and he knew it as the words escaped his mouth. Silence followed, and he winced in it, knowing all too well his suggestion had permanently fallen on deaf ears—

“You’re right, general,” said Mayis. Kolisk blinked back into reality. “There is no time more necessary. I’ll place the calls now.”

She hung up. And for the first time in 28 hours, Kolisk smiled, confident the Keshin victory would be short-lived. Confident in his revenge.

--

Nulahk, if he knew the story, would be feeling quite like the boy who cried wolf. How many black operations had he denied? How many of his spies had swallowed poison for his cause; how many had he refused to acknowledge ever existed? The Messiln had seen through him in the past, and now his denial was as good as an affirmation.

He could only hope that the desperation in his eye could prove his innocence. He could not say, on public television, that he was retaking the lands due to their arability, to alleviate the widespread starvation in rural countries—such things were publicly denied. He had absolutely no options left.

He was about to bring about the end of the world and it just wasn’t fair. He’d planned everything. He had sleepers, yes—but none there, certainly none so well-coordinated and expert. He didn’t have any kind of grand operation like this planned, and as far as he knew, neither did any of his own officers.

For once in his life, Nulahk Rut was innocent.
—Meanwhile, on CSH Frontier Spacedock 2188, the C.S.H.S. Feynman is about to undock.—
The Feynman was more than an exploration ship, more than a battle vessel—it was a spacebound city. Five thousand souls, three and a half civilian, either family to the crew or bold merchants and pilots out to stake their living in the frontier—had finally gathered upon its decks and made their homes in its quarters. They all met in a single grand plaza—auditorium was too small a word to describe it—as Admiral Alex Eisen addressed the crew. Sitting in front were the Bridge Officers, and front and center was Captain Alicia Merrill. It was controversial to allow a Captain to command such a massive vessel—the head brass wanted Eisen itself at its helm, but he refused, and had suggested Merrill despite all protests against her rank.

He spoke to dozens of species from within the CSH and without. NOAM translators, each part of the Sextant personal computer and fantastically expensive, worked tirelessly with each of them, and so Alex Eisen had the gift of tongues.

“You are about to embark on the most audacious journey in six hundred years. In 2384, the first human reached the Hyades. Within two hundred years, these systems were connected and established the first inter-species government in known history.

“You will be the first exploratory ship to leave the Hyades cluster. Your journey will take you far into the unknown. Whether duty, wanderlust, familial ties, or ambition have brought you here, you are tied by one trait—indominable courage. You go into the great unknown—may all the Hyades learn from your example.”

Uproar and applause. It was an excellent way to send the ship off. The ceremony continued, with the bridge officers each individually introduced. Their ranks were given, they gave their bow to a roaring crowd of five thousand, and they exited stage left.

Eisen had requested Merrill’s presence in his office as soon as possible, whether the ceremony was complete or not. Time was of the essence—not for tactical reasons, but because the human governments and corporations most invested in the Feynman demanded that it take off at precisely the beginning of the new millennium.

“I hope you’ll excuse the hurry, Captain, but the people who paid for the damn ship have a thing for symbolism. Marking a new era for humanity, and all that. I think it’s hubris, myself—if you know your Earth history, you know what happened not too long after the last millennial celebration. And this isn’t about humanity. This is about the CSH.”

He began his briefing without waiting for Captain Merrill’s thoughts on the issue.

“Your first official stop is this planet—Urosa IV.” His sextant shows a star chart which zooms in by orders of magnitude to a green planet with silvery rings, as if by magic. “There’s a sentient, industrialized species there. Our last probe was shot down with a fairly primitive air-to-space missile—going over the data, it looked like a prototype. If they have a space program, it’s still in its budding stages.

“You’re not there to admire the locals. There’s several deposits of auxerite there.” As he said the word, he conjured a picture of an ore, then a soft-blue stone reminiscent of marble, then a fascinatingly complex, three-dimensional molecular model. “That mineral’s used in dozens of ailments. I’m not an expert, but from what I know, if a doctor’s absolutely baffled by a new disease, the first thing they try is auxerite—and it works more often than not, even across species. I can’t describe how valuable that medicine is to us. Given the right chemical catalyst, it’s proven to work on anything from advanced cancer to hay fever, and there’s easily enough on that planet to treat billions of people. You’re going to go to that planet, do your damnedest to negotiate with the locals, and try to open a trade route.

“You know the rules. You’re not to use force if diplomacy doesn’t work. We aren’t going to become a bully empire, even if it means taking some hits. Keep the weapons for real threats—if space travel is revolutionary technology to these people, polarized armor and stun rays should keep you safe from any serious threats. Use discretion and put the safety of your crew before the mission.

“That’s your first mission in a nutshell. Sorry I didn’t give you a chance to speak—our sessions are normally less one-sided.” His speaking began to slow. His Sextant’s projector deactivated, and he sat back in his chair, smiling. “Any questions?”

--

OOC: Center your posts, in IC time, a little after the introduction ceremony. You can certainly have your character’s reaction to the ceremony included, however. Take a quick chance to mingle with other PCs, get settled into the setting, your character, and your role, and ask questions, IC or OOC.
VERY, GOOD

isstmich
Grand Templar

Re: Across a Second Sea, Episode 1: The War to End All Wars

#2 Post by isstmich »

Rinslet was sitting on the shoulders of a man most defiantly twice his size, one of his many handlers he had made a point not to get to attached to or remember their names but this one was different. His name was Hugo, he was a giant of a man and very kind. Rinslet was listening to the speech not through his sextant because he species had no form of spoken or even gestural body language.He was listening to Hugo's thoughts as he was hearing the speech. When the speech ended, Hugo lifted Rinslet off his shoulders and set the tiny little thing on the floor.

Rinslet started to tap his foot on the floor getting a bearing on where he was and how many people were near him. it Seemed Hugo was in a large group of military personnel. The visual display on Rinslet's mask flickered on to an image of what looked like a teenage human female rolling her eyes. Thanks Hugo he thought. He folded his ears down to help mute out the voices that were sure to come when people began to mingle.He didnt like people, and he certainly didnt like talking to them either. he snuffled closer to Hugo's massive leg, Rinslet wouldnt know but the Teenage female rolling her eyes changed to that of a small male child with a look of uneasy fear on his face.

Geo_&_Bio
Grand Templar

#3 Post by Geo_&_Bio »

The Zuulian Ambassador left the scene of the Grand Plaza; the mob of thousands clustered together for their first and maybe even their last voyage across space into unknown territory. The Zuulians never was big into the whole “Aliens are invading! Protect your behind or get probed!” fanaticism like others races would; if a Zuul from Re discovered an UFO, they would claim it to be a secret weapon developed by the Va and vice versa, and whole hardily believed it as well. The oddity truly shocked him when he left his home world to become a diplomat for the CSH and got to see very, very old timey but classical “Alien invaders” movies humans have made. They were quite charming to watch, and reading about them made him giggle a bit at the corniness or sometimes haunted by such barbaric creatures.
However, the Zuulians never victimized themselves with such beliefs, and when the Re(or Kinsa) found the Fu-Kinsa and the Blunters, the whole “little green men” attack didn’t correspond with the Re Colonization and the same thing happened when the CSH broke the two warring empires and forced them into peace and tranquility. And now, Keshvier is going to play the part of first contact; his biggest worry is the thought of being viewed as “The little green man who probes people for information”.

He sighed, this was going to be a long day; his first course on the ship will probably familiarize himself with the crew, namely the Captain and commander, in order to truly be prepared during an event. Scratch that, first order of business, get to his room, and THEN speak with the Captain and the rest of the Crew. Hopefully, they placed his mountain of books in his room, he would feel entirely naked without them and he has only scratched the surface of worldly histories and culture and other anthro(xeno?)pologitic(?) books. He is also hoping he has a good size private room and a comfy bed. However, after the ceremony, he then protested against the original idea and decided to go back with plan A; which was familiarizing with the crew.

The first person that caught his eye was an insect being in a tan uniform and a hood. From what he could remember, that was the Ship’s Science Director, Jar-re Mullan; an interesting and hardworking and according to his report, this Mullan character is also a very good Go player. This was probably Keshvier’s biggest opportunity to familiarize himself with the Director as the probability of meeting him again will be high doubtless of position. The Zuulian walked up to the Dromite, “Hello, Mr. Mullan, I am Ambassador Keshvier’Va-Re’ Tubishtok, Kesh or Tubishtok works finely. I am very pleased to meet you.” Kesh stated in his Va accent as he held out his hand.

(Sorry if I have addressed you before you posted and assumed to quick if its the case, but I was trying to add more to the post without it only being considerably only two paragraphs.)
The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

LuckyMudman
Templar GrandMaster
Location: Croatia, the land of many islands (or so I have been told)

#4 Post by LuckyMudman »

The ceremony wasn't long, which suited Clarke just fine. After the short introduction to the crew, he made his way off stage, amazed by the amount of people that were on board.

As he was idling about his sextant beeped informing him it was soon to departure time. He sighed and moved the optical section from his wrist to his face, turning on the AR interface. He was still getting used to the sheer size of the ship so he had his AR put down a trail towards the bridge, following it at a steady pace.

He reached the bridge fairly quickly, and there weren't that many people present. It would seem I'm still a bit early. Perfect. He sat down at his station, linking his sextant to it and bringing up the AR cockpit. He collected the required traffic data and had a holo display of Feynman and it's surroundings projected next to him via the ship's short range scanners. Some called that old fashioned and useless, but Clarke always liked to have a physical view on his surroundings. Figuring he was as prepared for undocking as he could be, he set the entire AR's current interface aside and brought up an old style racing game, playing as he waited on the others.
Gabriel of creosha wrote:Far cry 3 Weed burner simulator 2012
Souls Of The Wild: A short story I'm writing, inspired by TwoKinds and Sword Of Truth.

MrFlyingAmoeba
Grand Templar

#5 Post by MrFlyingAmoeba »

Jenna had not been present at the inauguration of the Feynman. She had not requested to be present, and the admiral had not asked her to be there with her mobile platform either. If it bothered Jenna, she did not show it in the slightest.

Really, it did make sense. She was only third-in-command in the loosest way. To openly acknowledge her as ranking above countless other beings might have caused a stir that nobody needed, especially not Jenna. Excessive attention could breed fear. Fear could result in her being reset to her original state, or deleted entirely.

As such, her mobile platform had sat quietly inside a storage closet deep inside the Feynman, currently still inactivated. That could wait until they were underway. At least some of the crew had met her mobile platform, but Jenna felt improper bringing it onto the bridge. Too much of a distraction. She had to keep as minimal of a presence while on-duty. Just the input-response machine.

Am I bored? Jenna mused to herself. (Was she even a 'she'? The AI had settled into being a she mainly for the purpose of appearing more friendly, but it didn't seem to be a personal preference)

Running the Feynman leaves a significant amount of my processing power unused. I have nothing left to do in regards to my duties, except forming better relationships with the crew. That will not be viable until we leave, and even if I talked to every single being on this ship at the same time, it would still leave me with considerable space to do...what?

I have already ascertained that I am in little danger of destabilizing if current trends continue. Of course, this is based on very little empirical information, especially since I am significantly more advanced than the vast majority of AI.

Hmm. Pride. Many AI in popular culture first develop instability by determining that they are superior to organic life. I must avoid this. What else? Anger. Envy. Pursuit of an illogical 'metastability'. I am already stable, what need would I have for an imaginary higher level of existence? And yet, the madness appears to be subtle in its onset. I must be wary.
Red Mage Statscoski wrote:That is not how we do things around here, buddy. First we have to argue incessantly over semantics.

y7h65
The Unpronounceable

#6 Post by y7h65 »

It was only military training and discipline that stopped Reilea from breaking out into a smile as the admiral finished his speech. This was it, ten years of practice, training, and missions had lead to this point. She was finally attached to a ship that mattered and not some stupid patrol craft where she got more practice from sims then she did actual flying. This was almost a dream come true for her! Of course they hadn't actually left yet but that was a minor detail. She was finally going places in both career, life goals, and actual destinations! Oh and there was also the relatively small matter of redeeming her people's image in the eyes of the other signatory CSH races but that part could probably be completed along with her own personal goals.

Of course first she had to actually figure out where everything was. She had to admit she missed the smaller spaces of the patrol crafts. It reminded her of home and it actually felt slightly comfortable to her, unlike the rest of her the crew. That was probably the only thing she actually liked about the patrol ships, thinking on it. The open plaza of the Fenyman was almost a hundred times larger then the previous largest place she had been to before and almost slightly unnerving in it's size to her. The sight of the large ceiling arching high above everyone else, the bright and almost harsh light coming from the lights, and just the sheer hugeness of it all made for a stark contrast to the cramped dark space station that was home.

Shrugging off the uneasy feeling creeping down her back, she checked the map installed on her sextant again. Behind her, the two drones positioned above and behind her head as the holoprojector came online and displayed a rather neat intractable three dimensional map. Neat but completely useless in showing her the way to the pilot section of the ship seeing as how she couldn't figure out half of the commands for it. With a sigh she activated her Sextant's mic and selected the link to the ship AI.

"Hi Jenna!" Reliea began, a hint of excitement leaking into her voice. "Soooo, I'm kinda looking at the map here and I just realized I can't figure out where the pilot's barracks are! Would it be too much of a bother for me to ask if you could give me some instructions on this map or something? Hey, while I'm at it, how's my ship doing? I know the hangar engineer was surprised by that landing but I didn't screw up anything too badly, right?"

“Of course, Reliea. The pilot barrack is highlighted here. For further reference, simply speak your request into your sextant and it should automatically locate your destination onboard for you.” Jenna’s voice replied smoothly. The relevant of the ship lit up, a small area on the port side of the Feynman.

“Your spacecraft is superficially damaged. The hangar itself is unharmed. I would advise you refrain from further landings such as that so as to minimize the risks of a collision with other pilots or crew.”

As the AI spoke, Reliea couldn't help but begin to frown. Her landings were most definitely not as bad as Jenna was making them sound like. She only screwed up one landing before and that one was proven to be the other guy's fault and she had in no way caused it! "Yeahhh, Jenna?" Relea said, chuckling slightly. "You don't have to give me any warnings. I mean, I didn't break anything, right?"

Jenna's tone remained the same. "Correct. Nothing was broken, and it did impress several crew. My apologies for sounding overly reprimanding. Your ship will be ready for further use within the hour."

With a grin, Relea gave a quick 'Thank You' before deactivating the link. Taking a look around, she wondered what other species were floating around. Hey. maybe she could find another Seidara. That'd be interesting, seeing as how she had only ever met one other Seidara from another station before. With five thousand or so people aboard, at least one of them had to be from a species that she hadn't meet before. With her new objective in mind, Reilea started making her way through the crowd in search of someone interesting to talk to.
Local Type Moon Fanatic.

unsteddyPhoenix
Grand Templar

#7 Post by unsteddyPhoenix »

Cano strolled casually around the crowded spacedock, no real direction in mind. Four years since he began down this path, the longest he had ever stayed in one position. (I am content) was what he had begun to assure himself over the years, but recently the truth began to be that he wasn't, exactly. Apathy towards life was stirring in the back of his mind like an old and spiteful enemy returning for another bout. At this point he would begin to doubt in his choice which would normally result in him dropping out, changing directions, unchaining himself from current responsibilities; but not this time. This was for his mother who had died to an injustice, this was for his father who was proud and relieved at his newfound solidarity, this was for others that if not for him would feel the same pain he had when his mother was taken. No, he would stick with this. For his family and his pride, he would stay and stop the unjust and protect the people and enforce justice for all. Abruptly he stopped walking and checked the map on his sextant, at a glance all seemed normal; he closed it again but made a mental note to check again later in more depth to be certain. Through his own excellence and success he would find contentment, he was sure.

This was part of the reason he had gotten himself about this new vessel, for how could a journey into the unknown ever be tedious? Exploring new depths, unquestionable risks and rewards awaited them, and he would be in charge of keeping order and justice in places where such concepts may very well not exist. A noble task easily more than worthy of him, or most anyone, and he would preform it to the best of his abilities no matter what thoughts of detachment should float through his mind. Cano let his eyes wander around the room, watching the people, human and alien alike, scurry about socializing or working. Take off would be soon and he had nothing to do until then, so he began his wanderings again, passively looking for someone of note to occupy his interest.

(OOC: Feel free to talk to him, I would've initiated it but I need to sleep now :P)
Tom wrote:The entire Basitin race is actually just a group of extremist LARPers.
ImageImage

deathwatch
Council Member

#8 Post by deathwatch »

After making the long trek from the dock and stopping by the nearest drink dispenser and map Corvus finally stepped onto the bridge with a half-full cup of coffee in his hand and a holographic data pad in the other. The ceremony was a pain to him; he didn't see the point in them, they just took up time that could be used for making additional checks and making sure that everyone was ready to go, but he was still proud to be there, not many of his people were to serve aboard this ship and he was the only one in the command crew. With his eyes fixed on the data pad he wandered over to the commander’s seat, not really paying attention to the floor; but still managing to not trip up on anything, and sat down. Corvus sat the hot cup into a holder and made himself comfortable before he continued to tap away at the pad, conversing with his brother who was serving as a captain on one of the battleships that formed the Deterrian 5th fleet.

“Now back to the topic at hand. So they've finally let you on board the Feynman have they, or did you just sneak on board when no one was looking.” Came onto the screen and Corvus smiled as he sent his reply.
“Don't fret ‘Captain’, we can’t all be like you, bribing father to give you a promotion.”
A moment passed as his brother thought of a comeback
“We both know that wasn't the case, so what if I slipped him a few K, that was a birthday gift.”
“Sure it was, and then you conveniently get promoted the next week, unlike you I work to get places.”
“Oh really? Should I remind you of the time that you slept with your CO for that recommendation?”
Corvus let out a snicker, recalling the fond memories of his early career.
“Oh well, you have me there, so when does the 5th fleet set out?”
“We are going to settle a territorial dispute between two trading empires, unfortunately it’s a peacekeeping op, we have to go and make sure that they don’t start anything whilst negotiations go on. What about you?”
“We’re going soon, just waiting on everyone getting aboard and for the captain to get back.”
“Enjoy it Corvus, and hey, maybe when you come back you’ll be a captain, but by then I’m probably going to be a rear admiral.”
“Screw you Samuel, in the end I am still the better Officer, why do you think they picked me to lead battle-group Sigma.”
“Alright, I need to go now, the Admiral is mobilizing the fleet, see you soon.”
-+-Captain Blackwood has disconnected -+-

Corvus closed the holographic screen and clipped it back into his wrist unit. The Sextant had become his best friend ever since he received it, this tech was a major asset to him and his capabilities, he pressed a button on the wrist unit and music by an ancient artist named Beethoven began playing through his ear phone, the sonata was calming, he lay back on the seat and waited for the launch timer to reach zero so they could depart, he considered starting a conversation with the AI but dismissed the thought, he would have plenty of time to do that later, for now he would rest.

Twippit
Grand Templar
Location: At a table top in a remote part of WA playing a high-stakes game of strip DnD

#9 Post by Twippit »

Mullen closed his eyes and took in a deep breath through his chitinous exoskeleton. He felt at peace with the universe. Nothing could disturb him.

He opened his eyes again and surveyed his boisterous surroundings with a tranquil demeanor. The crowd around him was in a relative uproar. He felt like an island of peace in the midst of a boiling ocean. And yet... Something was missing. He still felt the rushing winds of the storm against his face. The winds... Of change.

Repressing his mild concern, Mullen decided to mingle.
“Hello, Mr. Mullan, I am Ambassador Keshvier’Va-Re’ Tubishtok, Kesh or Tubishtok works finely. I am very pleased to meet you, ” an approaching Zuulian said to him. His Va accent was very strong, Mullen noted as he accepted the outstretched hand.
"On my home world, a handshake means something quite different than what you are apparently intending," Mullen replied with a hint of amusement. "Pleased to meet you, ambassador."

(I am so sorry to keep you waiting like this, I just now saw the IC. PM me for more chatty stuff, yeh?)
Hey. Been a while. I'm on discord at Twippit#9645. See ya around sometime, maybe.

Lief
No hugs, I asplode.
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine

#10 Post by Lief »

Alicia idly scratched her chin in thought while listening to the Admiral. There was a distinct lack of information, though it almost certainly had to do with the probe getting shot down. The Auxerite also seemed mildly suspicious. Would it actually do what it's claimed to? She certainly hadn't heard of it before. Then again, she wasn't a medical expert nor had she ever had any particularly nasty diseases.

"Well, sir, I don't enjoy having so little information... Do we know anything about the locals?" While she could already guess the answer, she had to ask anyways. Then another thought crossed her mind, and while the Admiral likely wouldn't be able to do anything but make a speculation, again she had to ask.

"They're going to try and shoot us down, aren't they? I'm not sure I like that idea." Then again, she had seen the crew roster. Some of the best shuttle pilots in the CSH were on it, as well as a small handful of civilian pilots.

"Do we know how powerful the missile was? If they had more, would they be capable of damaging our dropships?" She asked all these in quick succession, without waiting for a response, as they all occurred to her immediately after asking the previous.

She didn't normally talk so fast, or ask as many questions, but this was technically her first important assignment. A slight frown crossed her otherwise expressionless face, though not because of worry.

"Admiral, Captain." Jenna interjected quietly. "If at all possible, I think it might be best if the natives did not become aware of my...existence, at least until the situation is pacified. They may react poorly to an AI."

"Mm, I agree." Alicia recalled her first meeting with "Jenna", she didn't take too kindly to it at first. She still wasn't fond of Jenna, but hid it well.

the red soldier
Even my blood is socialist red.

#11 Post by the red soldier »

Looking through the crowd, or over it to be more precise, a veritable predator of a creature stood tall amongst the crowd. It almost seemed primal in a way, no clothing to speak of except for his sextant literally drilled in the side of its head, the only indication it wasn't just a wild beast. Many stared at it, giving it a wide birth, which was understandable, most humans wouldn't approach a nearly 8 foot tall preying mantis like alien.

Nevertheless, the mantis didn't move an inch. From time to time one could see his mandibles move around or he would quickly clap his pincers together but not much else. What they didn't know, what they couldn't see was the mind within the creature, quickly processing everything around him, assessing his surroundings, evaluating potential threats from prey, friends from foe. Deep down he knew that everyone around him was "friends" but he simply cant shake off his innate cautious nature.

To be quite honest the fact that he was just standing there in the open was kind of odd. He preferred to stick to the shadows and even though he was just standing there like a statue, the insect was doing his best to "fit in". Thinking over the Admiral's speech for a bit, about exploring the unknown and whatnot. It reminded him of the days he first left his moon Home world when he was exiled. The universe for him was a big vast question mark, everything up to this point has been "exploring the unknown". He never imagined such a massive galaxy beyond the squabbles between the Clans and the Dromites, such an experience it has been.

And there he stood, a giant pink mantis of a statue, almost like it was afraid to move. Almost afraid to cause a panic if he somewhat as approached the wrong alien.

MeaCulpa, S.C.M.
The Last Gunslinger

#12 Post by MeaCulpa, S.C.M. »

"We only know the locals aren't trusting of outsiders--or at least of spacefaring probes. The missile took down our probe, but the probe had no defenses; it was an old model. A shuttle with polarized armor, shielding, or even some chaff, if we still keep that in armory, would barely feel it. They probably will try to shoot you down, or arrest you. Explain your intentions, but don't let them take crew into custody. Set your Sextant's weapons to stun, as always.

"It would be better if they didn't know of the ship's existence, let alone Jenna's. We don't need to be showing off our firepower to technologically primitive cultures. I want you to try to orbit on the far side of their furthest moon; that'll put you about 500,000 klics away from the planet surface. Take a shuttle in, keep your intentions clear, and show them where the deposit is and what it means to us."

"I wish I had more to give you. We know almost nothing about these people. That's going to be par for the course mpst of the time. You're venturing into uncharted space, after all."

The Admiral looked at his watch--he still kept a mechanical one for the purposes of style. He kept his sextant in a compact form in his pocket. The ship had twenty minutes to undock, then move forty-eight light years to its first mission. The enormity of the distance it would travel, of the ship itself, of its motion as its engine tugged upon space-time's fabric to cheat the laws of physics out of its speed limit, all dawned upon the Admiral for an instant. If he was alone, he would have taken a deep breath, closed his eyes, and allowed this fantastic thought to travel through him as he observed, in his imagination's eye, all of its gigantic, terrible beauty--as Moses looking upon the back of Yahweh.

As it stood, he had decorum to hold. He tightened his grip on his watch and let the thought pass. It would come again, but it was a shame to see it go so horribly unobserved.

"Captain, your ship departs in twenty minutes. I hope you understand there's a considerable amount of pressure in the success of your first mission. From this point on, nearly every person you will talk to will either answer to your authority or build their judgment of both mankind and the whole Confederated Systems upon their impression of you. Your responsibility is massive.

"Jenna, it was my personal wish that behavioral overrides--that is, those things that require you to follow commands by overriding your brain--were inhibited, and, with review of your conduct aboard the ship, to be ultimately removed. I have my utmost faith you will..." he meant to say she would demonstrate such prejudice's folly, but instead, he decided he would stick with the official line-- "that you will earn your freedom." The sudden coldness in his voice was an echo of his anger at the sentiment. Earn. You'll earn your right to be treated like every other crewmember of countless dozens of species. You'll earn what no one else had to earn. Under the weight of that decision, the Pillar of Equity crumbled like sand.

His own station decried his soul, which like decried his desire to leave his station.

"I offer both of you my most sincere hopes for the future. Captain, prepare your ship for flight. Your tug drive is the strongest in the fleet--that makes your ship not only the largest, but the fastest, too. You should reach your destination within two hours of travel."

They may have said something, but he found himself unable to respond except in the most generic of nods, thank yous, and hopeful remarks. The combined inability to observe his own imagination (a relatively minor inconvenience, but one nonetheless) and the unexpressed indignance at Jenna's condition, left him too distraught for anything else.

How strange a man, utterly calm in the command of a vessel thirty seconds to burn into nothing, is terrified of what goes on in his own mind and conscience. Among his private vanities, he imagined someone might understand his innermost thoughts and chronicle them.

He left. He wondered if he fled. There was no fanfare as he finally left the ship. Thankfully, for once, despite his brash uniform and its countless medals, he slipped by unnoticed.
VERY, GOOD

isstmich
Grand Templar

#13 Post by isstmich »

Rinselt backed out of the group of talking military folk and into Hugo. The big man knelt down and touched Rinselt on the shoulder. "Come now Rinselt, time to get to engineering, Ships going to take off soon." Rinslet nodded in understanding and made his way across the floor of the hall, Hugo not far behind him

As he walked he picked up the distinct reverberations that there was a Krag nearby, and it was a big one.Rinslet stopped but Hugo walked a few steps ahead of him before turning around. "whats wrong Rinslet?"

Rinslet stuck his right hand into his Communicator. The pleasant voice of a woman came out of the device,"Hugo go, Rinslet Follow." his Display changed to a young boy, who was missing a few teeth showing off a massive grin.

"Rinslet what are you planning?" Hugo crossed his arms and looked down Firmly at Rinslet, and action that was very much pointless to the little Boreas, but the intent of harsh judgement was Rolling out of his mind.

The smiling boy on Rinslets display Slowly lost his grin as he pursed his lips in one direction as his eyes drifted off to another. "Rinslet no plan." He had been Drumming his heel on the floor and by now had a very clear idea of where the Krag was standing.

Hugo Stood back and unfolded his arms "your up to no good, and i know it, but that Visual i just saw... you have never used that one before." The boy smiled again and Rinslet pointed over to where the Krag was standing. "Really Rinslet?" Hugo dropped his forehead into his palm and shook his head from side to side. "just this once, ok."

Rinslet jumped up in joy and tapped his fingertips together in glee. Moving across the room and dodging though people until he was standing near one of the legs of the Giant Krag. Rinslet curled his Fingers into a ball, all except for his pointer finger. raising his hand high into the air he looked over to where Hugo was. Slowly he inched his finger closer to the Krags leg until his gloved Finger touched Carapace. An instant later Rinselt was running away nearly at the speed of an Olympic athlete. Hugo cupped his hands over his mouth and Yelled over to the Krag "TAG, YOUR IT!"

LuckyMudman
Templar GrandMaster
Location: Croatia, the land of many islands (or so I have been told)

#14 Post by LuckyMudman »

A sound of two vehicles colliding and crashing into a metal railing echoed through Clarke's earpiece. He lifted his arms up and close to shouted in joy.
"Bullseye!"
His AR showed the racing track upside down, almost all the vehicle indicators were red and his character wasn't responding to commands, signifying that he was gravely injured. All of this was accompanied by a female voice shouting profanities.
"You dunce! Have you ever driven a vehicle before in your life!?"
At this, Clarke started laughing which was followed by even more profanities by his new nemesis. Clarke enjoyed competitive gaming, by now he racked up almost two months worth of salary in reward money, but this time, the driver in the first place was taunting him the whole time, so Clarke rammed them both offroad, effectively killing them both. He looked at his bridge station, he didn't really care about money, he was already living his dream and was in competitive gaming purely for fun, so he forwarded a message to the competition administrators to pass all of his winnings to a charity for spacer colonies. He spun around in his chair, looking around the bridge. It was still twenty-ish minutes to departure and the only other high ranking crewmember on the bridge was the commander.

Clarke looked at the Deterrian noticing that the man was half asleep. Maybe I shouldn't be shouting. It'll be fun to see the Captain waking him up. The noise in his earpiece became really annoying so he logged off, the message 'Saerminus, Clarke resigns' appeared on the newsfeed for everyone in the racing competition to see. He lounged in his seat, thinking about various noises that could be used to wake a Deterrian, short of using a frying pan and a piece of aluminium.
Gabriel of creosha wrote:Far cry 3 Weed burner simulator 2012
Souls Of The Wild: A short story I'm writing, inspired by TwoKinds and Sword Of Truth.

Geo_&_Bio
Grand Templar

#15 Post by Geo_&_Bio »

The Zuulian and the Dromite talked for a while, making small talk; Keshvier gave a quick glance at his watch before realizing that the small talk had to end unfortunately. “Ah, forgive me; sometimes I ramble far too much, Diplomacy seems to do that to me.” Smirking at the small humor, “Hopefully we meet again, Mr. Mullan.” The Keshvier gave a small bow and began his search for his office and room. He was searching all around the civilian center of the ship getting lost between all the doors and other quarters. Asking the AI’s help seemed far too foreign for him and he didn’t want to waste the AI’s time. In truth, an AI able to be this intelligent was considered odd for him, eerie in a way, not in a “Kill all humans” type of mentality as he saw in the human’s media, but in a place where it just seems…off.
It could be because in Zuul, despite its technological advancements, have never actually thought about AI as an intelligent being and thus never had a fear of them becoming “Self-aware” and never truly progressed beyond simple Virtual Intelligence used for petty works, shielding and repairs. This Jenna figure just felt odd, even the thought of responding to him with comprehensible words was just weird. He decided to just continue blindly and aimlessly until he actually found his room. His Quarters was decently sized, enough for one person to fell enough space without hogging it too much. Of course, a good portion of the space is now occupied by tons and tons of books stacked in towers. History, culture, progressions, technology, impacts on the CSH of almost every big or decently sized races in the Confederacy within these books. Now that he knew where his room was, it was probably time for him to find his office, surely it must be relatively close by.
The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.