Wit's End (Twokinds Based) Rp thread

Play around with roles and whatnot in here, I suppose.

Moderator: Moderators

Ace5762
Grand Templar

Wit's End (Twokinds Based) Rp thread

#1 Post by Ace5762 »

"<But I was told to bring this up, Sir!>" echoed the protest of a younger Keidran recruit through the halls of the tavern. Markus frowned at the lad and shook his head wearily and yawned. He'd been awoken by the wolf rapping on his door with a chirp of 'Breakfast in bed', much to his bemusement.
"<For the last time, Soldier, I believe you and I are the butt of someone's joke. I have never taken 'breakfast in bed' and never intend to. I'll be taking my breakfast with my troops, as usual; I don't have time to stay in bed either>" said the Basitin kurtly, turning the recruit away.
"<But this is the finest cut of the pig, sir! Picked it out myself!>" he persisted. Markus sighed and put up a hand.
"And furthermore, I don't eat raw meat- that's keidran fare. If you MUST give it to someone, see that the quartermaster gets it. He's got his hands full today and I imagine he'd appreciate it most- he might even see his way clear to giving you a pole-axe, if you ask nicely">
The keidran perked up and nodded eagerly at that, retreating respectfully and leaving the basitin lieutenant in peace, who frowned and retreated into his room.

A handful of minutes passed and Markus emerged from the tavern where the door had been torn off it's hinges, wrapped in a dense cloak as the morning chill swept over him. It was early before dawn but the military camp was already a hive of activity, numerous wolf keidran tending to the various duties in camp, others beginning to line up for the morning meal. Markus surveyed as he made a beeline for the quartermaster's tent, kicking a couple wolves awake and berating anyone slacking off as he went.

"<Morning, Sir!>" said the quartermaster cheerfully, who was tucking into the cuts of meat Markus declined not 5 minutes ago.
"<Good morning, Isaac>" he said, taking a stool from the corner of the tent "<Where are the new arrivals?>"
The bulky wolf keidran gulped down a large mouthful and gestured towards the door-flap of the tent.
"<They should be along to me soon, as it happens. I instructed them to report to me as soon as they finished breakfast, for a gear inspection and outfitting, as required, Sir>"
Markus nodded slowly and adjusted his cloak.
"<Very good, I should like to meet them personally. I imagine the other soldiers have already piqued their curiosty>" he said, with a little smirk.
"<Right you are, Sir>"
Not too shabby.
Born unto Bureaucracy.

cliffpanther
Grand Templar
Location: In the central point of the Universe. Just like everyone else.

Re: Wit's End (Twokinds Based) Rp thread

#2 Post by cliffpanther »

Fine, fine, I'll leave my sword outside - a male voice outside the tent spoke with irritation, which was followed by metallic noise. Then the entrance of the tent flashed with light and a tall grey Wolf Keidran walked inside and stood upright. Good morning, sir! - he said with serious, polite voice towards Markus
I am Kevin of the Wolf Tribe. I have received orders to serve under your command, sir. - he added, still standing straight and looked at an unprecised point somewhere in the tent waiting for his new Basitin commander to react.

mullac
Templar Inner Circle

#3 Post by mullac »

Upon being challenged at the hooded figure lifted his arms revealing a sheathed sword at his side. "You may take my sword, but any damage to it will be held on your head". A quick smirk flashed across the hidden face of the figure as he entered the tent illuminating the inside briefly. The figure stopped next to the taller grey wolf and glancing around the tent before lowering his hood revealing his face. "You sent summons for my services" said the brown wolf as he bowed to his commanding officers bring a clenched fist up and over his heart in salute. "I am Carden of the Forest Wolf Tribe". He stood with his arms crossed and partial hidden under his cloak awaiting a response from his new commanding officers. As he stood in place he observed both of the officer one being a wolf much like himself and the other a Basitin the more superior of the two.
He who wanders....in and out of here every 6 months or so 8)

y7h65
The Unpronounceable

#4 Post by y7h65 »

Rozalin let out a quiet sigh as she looked over the last of the reports being handed in, various torches and candles the sole source of illumination in the cave she called an office. So far, it seemed that the damned furs had finished entrenching in her town, the town that she was supposed to defend.

She grit her teeth as she remembered the order from the commander to abandon town. She would have preferred to stand and attempt to hold it but no, it was much more tactically sound to retreat and fight another day.

A quiet cough broke her out of her thoughts and drew her attention to the entrance of the cave. The sole courier for the cave system they called a base stood at attention, waiting for something. She realized that it must be morning if the courier was here. Seeing as how he wasn't giving her anything that must meant that he was waiting for the daily orders to give out to everyone in the base.

With a quiet grunt she stood up, picked up a stack of papers, and handed them over to the runner.

"Hand these sheets to Wetson and Mark, tell them that nothing has changed and that they should continue doing the last set of orders they were given."

-MEANWHILE-
Steve sighed as he leaned against the side of the cabin that served as the outpost for the Recon group. The recon group itself was small, containing five people at best but the cabin was really only meant to contain three people. This meant that at least two people had to stay outside at all times.

However, the defensive value and recon value of the building made it worthwhile to stay at. Made of stone and situated on a field of permafrost, the cabin was close enough to the town for scouts to run recon but far enough to be out of the path of the warband. Furthermore, the fact that it was on a snow covered field meant that there was no cover for anybody sneaking towards them. Even better was the fact that one of the two rangers of the militia had opted to go with them. Nobody knew the land better then the ranger as they have spent years learning the steps and paths of the place.

Looking at the hourglass, he realized that the scout that he had sent to observe the former town would be back soon. And if not... well, there was always the alarm bell. With a bit of anxiety building in his stomach, he hefted his axe and got ready to change shifts.
Local Type Moon Fanatic.

Ace5762
Grand Templar

#5 Post by Ace5762 »

Isaac chewed on a mouthful of meat as the two new recruits entered the tent, watching them passively. Markus however, glanced from top to bottom, analysing them and sizing them up. Once the two had announced their arrival so delightfully formally, he got up from his stool and gave them a stiff nod.
"<At ease, Kevin and Carden of the wolf tribe- and a good morning to you, as well. I trust you ate a good breakfast>" said the Basitin, giving a wry smile. Markus was a good bit shorter than both of them, but as with all basitins, he had an uncanny way of projecting a presence bigger than himself.
"<At a glance, I'd guess the both of you have seen combat before, so I reckon I can be brief with you here. I'm Markus Hailes, the lieutenant of this little outfit. You answer to me and the officers. You fight like a keidran, you act like a soldier and avoid dying. Understood?>"
Markus pointed vaguely to a couple of stools as he took his own stool "<Both of you can take a seat, our quartermaster here, Isaac, wants some words with you.>"
"<Mrm?>" Isaac mumbled at attention, swallowing down the last of his breakfast and nodding "<Ark, bring in these wolves' effects, would you?>"
The hooded figure from outside strode in, his muzzle showing slightly under the hood as he set the two keidran's swords in front of the quartermaster, bowing his head slightly. Isaac took a delicate craftsman's hold of both swords in turn, scrutinizing them from edge to hilt. A few moments passed as he turned the weapons this way and that before he set them down, apparently satisfied.
"<Good enough, I'd say. Although this one is a little dull>" he said, pointing to Kevin's sword "You'll both need a decent knife too. As for bows, pole-axes and the like, you can keep 'em once you can prove you can use 'em>" said the quartermaster, sliding the swords to their respective owners
"<Ark is our right hand man, he'll show the training ground and generally point you in the right direction until you find your feet>" said Markus, giving a small nod to the hooded keidran, who silently gave a paw-over-heart salute in response.
"<And with that, I welcome you both to the war front>, {may the gods give you their sympathy}" said the basitin, tactfully masking the last part in his native language.
Not too shabby.
Born unto Bureaucracy.

cliffpanther
Grand Templar
Location: In the central point of the Universe. Just like everyone else.

#6 Post by cliffpanther »

Kevin grabbed his sword and ran his paw over the blade. It must have been a long time since he last sharpened it. Luckily for him, he didn't need to use it on his way to the camp. Thank you, sir. - he said to the quartermaster and nodded his head. There was no time to waste, and resting would count as that.
The wolf smiled at his commander's words and reattached the sword to his belt. He looked at the other soldier and then stood back up.
Lieutenant, with your permission, sir... - he started formally and waited for a moment in case his commander interrupted him - If there are no awaiting duties for me, could I be taken to a place where I can sharpen my sword? - he asked politely and looked at the Basitin.

mullac
Templar Inner Circle

#7 Post by mullac »

As Carden retrieved his sword and sheathed it and stood up "I have both a sword and a knife.." he let his word hang in the air for a brief second. He reached around under his cloak to another sheath on his lower. As he removed the blade from under his cloak its immaculately clean large surface glinted in the light of the tent. The size of the blade and the curved blade made it very unique. The dark wooden handle brought a contrast to the shimmering blade yet the inset metal tribal pattens running across it stood out. "I know we were ordered to leave weapons outside, but a good soldier always has a back up...". He moved the blade around in his hand and moved his wrist showing the weapon was more then adequate for any job thrown at it. "I'm sure you both understands the needs under these circumstances".

((if anyone wants to see what the blade looks like just Google kukri))

Ace5762
Grand Templar

#8 Post by Ace5762 »

The quartermaster raised an eyebrow as Carden revealed his knife, clearing his throat.
"<You're aware that coming in here with a blade concealed like that could've gotten you killed on the spot?>" he said, as Ark silently positioned himself behind the wolf recruit. Markus rolled his eyes and waved Isaac and Ark into dismiss.
"<Perfectly understandable and trivial at best. Come, I think we're finished here anyhow- if I remember right, there's a smithy on the other side of town with a grindstone. There might even be embers still burning in the furnace>" he said, rising from his chair and slipping between the two keidran out of the tent flap, a slow billow in his cloak as the cold breeze caught it, beckoning for them both to follow him.
"<Oh, and you are dismissed, Ark- see to it the water cart is ready to leave soon, and perhaps you could find me something for breakfast that wasn't butchered. I'm sick of meat, I really am>"
The hooded keidran bowed his head affirmatively, both he and the quartermaster giving a salute.
Not too shabby.
Born unto Bureaucracy.

mullac
Templar Inner Circle

#9 Post by mullac »

Carden looked the quartermaster in the eye "I am fully aware of the seriousness of my actions sir. However due to previous experiences it was one I felt necessary." He paused for a second analysing the quartermaster before placing his paw over his heart and bowing. " I mean no disrespect in my actions and they are not the actions of someone attempting to undermine the authority of an officer". He stood up and reached for the hood on his cloak, bringing it up and over his head. Once again shrouding his face in darkness hiding his identity. He turned on the spot and ducked out of the tent after Marcus. He gazed over the camp from the entrance of the tent, surveying the buzz of activity. He also took the opportunity to get a better look at his commanding officer, whilst being a shorter fellow he looked like his could put up a better fight then a man twice his size.

Lief
No hugs, I asplode.
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine

#10 Post by Lief »

A small knock rung out through what could be considered a small room in the cave system, forcing Mark to awaken. The courier had knocked on the wall of the cave, not wanting to tempt fate by waking the blacksmith up personally. It had almost ended badly for him once before, a small scar on the side of his neck served as a reminder of that day.

With a groan, the blacksmith climbed out of bed and approached the courier, snatching the papers from him and looking them over while the courier stammered along his longer-than-needed explanation of "your previous orders still stand". It brought a small grin to Mark's face that he intimidated the poor man so much, though it didn't help that he was several inches taller. The poor guy was actually shorter than Rozalin, their de facto leader. Though, to be fair, she was fairly tall for a woman.

The papers, again, overly explained the simple point of "we're running low on swords, repair/make more". Mark dismissed the courier with a small wave of his hand before turning to and going to fetch his sword. Crumpling the paper, he tossed it into the "corner", grumbling about how much of a pain it is to travel to the forge. After grabbing his sword and making sure it was securely placed on his hip, he went to go find Weston.

Whistling was heard from Steve's left, as the next person on shift had popped out. They wore a cloak lined with bear fur, and the hood covered a fair portion of their face. What little could be seen, though was obviously feminine. The woman leaned against the cabin next to him, having stopped whistling.

"You can go warm up now, Steve." She paused, spotting him eyeing the hourglass. "And don't worry so much, he's been late before. I'll keep an eye out."

"Alright, thanks, Elizabeth." Steve started heading inside, but stopped before turning the corner. "Keep me posted."

"Wilco." After Steve heads inside, Elizabeth resumes her whistling.

Chaosye
Grand Templar

#11 Post by Chaosye »

"One!"

Left arm forward, angled. Right foot back. Left leg slightly bent.

"Two!"

Lunge. Thrust right arm forward.

"Three!"

Pull back. Defensive stance.

Weston held a battered shield in his left and his shortsword in his right, and was standing in front of about four men, replicating his movements. He stood with a perfect stance; impossible to push but easy to move about within. The other men had difficulty holding it for as long, their muscles shuddering or their energy waning. One in particular appeared to even have difficulty standing after the lengthy training, but it was understandable for it to be difficult. It certainly took Weston a long time to understand these teachings, but perseverance shall lead you through; one of the many tidbits of advice he throws at those he trains every once in a while. The rotation changes often, but it meant that Weston's influential training spread wide and far throughout the militia, and it was something was proud of.

A slight, tittering knock came from an entrance, and Weston became rapidly more of his surroundings, his focus taken out of the pages of combat manuals and old teachings. Turning his head, one of the militia's few but well-experienced couriers stood at the door-without-hinges, and Weston pulled up his helmet, grinning, "Hail, Aaron! What's the latest?" Without a word, in their typical courier fashion, Aaron handed him a sheet of paper. A quick unraveling revealed it to be directly from Roza, but describing little more than 'keep training'. Typical Roza! Tells you to do something, and keeps telling you to do it! Weston could learn a thing or two from her.

Now that Weston's focus had been temporarily torn from the wiles of training, however, he took a second to notice his surroundings further. Weston and the four men stood within one of the larger rooms of the cave system, situated fairly close to one of the system's many exits, but not close enough for any sort of light to reach it. A flickering lantern illuminated the miniature barracks, revealing a number of wooden sticks carved into sparring implements littered about the walls, as well as a number of real weapons, a majority of them within the same, below-average quality of upkeep. Nearby those weapons for the militia, however, stood his prime weapon, often cleaned and kept in respectable condition by Weston, his weathered and well-serving halberd lay upon the stony wall. A good polearm like that is a thing of beauty.

As Weston was returning to his prior mindset, however, in came Mark, sword at hip and with a look in his eye that Weston was well familiar with. "Joseph!"
One of the trainees blinked, "Ey?"
"You're doing well enough; go through the routine again with the others, and go back to that parrying lecture I did earlier. I have a higher priority order to stay to." And, indeed, it was of higher priority. The safety of the militia's prime blacksmith was of tremendous importance, and it was a safety delegated to Weston's martial eye. Sheathing his shortsword, dropping his shield off to the side, and grabbing his halberd, he tipped his helmet to Mark. "Back to the forge again, is it?"

Ace5762
Grand Templar

#12 Post by Ace5762 »

Markus led the two new arrivals through the camp set up in town, slipping past many keidran going about the day's business. As they passed, a few saluted, some gave a silent, reluctant nod of respect, while most of the lieutenant's subordinates paid him little to no mind at all. Both the soldiers in tow saw that this wasn't an unusual state of affairs for the basitin however, who made a point of stopping some of the soldiers in an exaggerated fashion to inquire after them and their duties, forcing them to meekly acknowledge his existence. One such soul hurried away as Markus laughed softly.
"<I can't help but wonder if your kind's stubbornness matches my own species'>" he said, smirking at the recruits behind him.
"<Progress though, I suppose. A week or so ago, no keidran here would even give me the time of day. Anyhow... Kevin, was it? The smithy is over there->" he said, pointing to low roofed building in front of them, a scuffed anvil with a discarded length of steel beside it, along with the grindstone and other tools of the smith "<Perhaps you'd both care to accompany the water cart when they set off? At the east gate, twenty min->"
"<Sir.>" came a calm murmur that was more audible than they felt it should have been. It was the cloaked keidran again, who had stepped from the shade of a nearby alleyway.
"<Yes, Ark?>" said the lieutenant, apparently unphased by this behaviour.
"<Something has enraged the troops>" said the keidran, beckoning.
"<Are we under attack? Has the alarm been sounded?>"
Ark shook his head slowly.
"<Unneccessary. But you should come and see, lieutenant, post-haste>"
Markus made a frustrated sound and gave a stiff nod to both recruits.
"<I'm afraid we'll have to cut this short, soldiers. As you were, or rather, as you are going to be>" he said before quickly tailing Ark toward the source of discord.
Not too shabby.
Born unto Bureaucracy.

MrFlyingAmoeba
Grand Templar

#13 Post by MrFlyingAmoeba »

Thomas Reed cursed his poor fortune. When he had heard the shouts and clattering in the night, he had chosen to stay in town, believing that the Keidran would simply move past. Actually, it had been a combination of cowardice and calculation, mostly cowardice. The town doctor, who doubled as an inventor in his spare time, had been loathe to leave his things in the possession of the tribal...animals. Ignorant creatures would probably kill themselves trying to use a few of his things, but they were far too bulky to move easily. He had been hiding in his home since the invasion, but some lucky Keidran had spotted him moving about through a chink in an improperly boarded up window. The morons had beat futilely against his barricaded door, ordering him to get out, before gathering the cumulative brains to ram it down with a piece of pilfered furniture instead.

He briefly considered lighting the house aflame, but decided against it. While it would ensure that the brutes wouldn't tear him apart or enslave him, it would mean a rather painful end, and Thomas was incapable of ending himself with his own hand.

With a shout of triumph, the furred monsters broke down his door and grabbed the hardly struggling man, dragging him outside by his collar. Not much drew a complaint, until one of them roughly clenched a sharp paw in his greying hair.

"At the very least, let go of my HAIR, you ingrates!" He shouted, receiving a cacophony of snarls and growls in response. "Don't you dare touch any of those things inside, it might set half the town on fire!" The previously limp human began struggling against his captors, only to be knocked to the ground by the butt of a spear. His spectacles cracked, Thomas nursed a deep gash on his forehead, before doubling over in pain as another guard kicked him in the stomach, then in the face.

His cries of pain seemed to only encourage them, and they crowded around him, kicking at any exposed body parts. All things considered, maybe he should have burned his home down with himself inside.
Red Mage Statscoski wrote:That is not how we do things around here, buddy. First we have to argue incessantly over semantics.

Ace5762
Grand Templar

#14 Post by Ace5762 »

The mob savaged the misfortuned human, their claws raking his clothes and skin as keidran insults and curses thickened the air. A pole-ax was quickly being passed along through the crowd.
"<Shut up, human!>"
"<Enough! Let's kill it already!>" shouted a large wolf, yanking the pole-ax out of another's paw and brandishing it above the downed man.
"<No bald-skinned wretch deserves life>" he declared, raising the weapon as a string of other keidran pinned the human down, waiting in anticipation for the blade to sink into their enemy's neck.

"<Hold there, soldier!>" barked Markus, who was striding through the crowd of wolves, who parted fretfully- perhaps afeared by their lieutenant's anger, or from the hooded keidran behind him, a hint of a blade showing near his paw.
"<The next wolf so much as moves before I get an explanation will take refuse duty for the next month!>" he continued, pushing aside the last keidran soldiers from the centre as he finally saw the cause of commotion. The basitin leered at the man pitilessly before levelling his stare with the keidran wielding the pole-ax, whom had brought it to his side.

"<Well?>" said Markus, his arms folded like a disapproving parent.
"<It's- it's a human, lieutenant>" said the wolf.
"<I have eyes,> {you idiot} <What is he doing here?>"
Another wolf spoke up.
"<We found it in there>" he said, motioning to the broken door of the man's home "<Must have missed him... while we were... searching...>"
The wolf sensed the lieutenant's displeasure at this and shrunk back into the rows of wolves.
"<If that is so, then a great deal of incompetence is rife as of late. Search the town again, properly>" he ordered, the soldiers uniformly slinking away.
"<And continue disposing of this one, Ark>" said Markus in a businesslike manner.
The hooded keidran nodded silently and drew a short blade from inside his robe, pressing his foot against the man's throat to steady him as he poised his blade.
"<No, wait...> {There's something familiar...} said the basitin, giving the human another good, long stare.
"<Keep him down, I want to see inside here first>" he said, picking his way through the broken doorframe and barricade of the human's home.
"You will remain still, if you are smart" he added in human to the man as the short blade touched slightly against his neck.
Not too shabby.
Born unto Bureaucracy.

y7h65
The Unpronounceable

#15 Post by y7h65 »

As the guards continued to threaten the mangy human, a single man over a kilometer away put away a telescope. Interesting. He wasn't expecting this but this was good news. His superiors would want to hear this and this could open the way for a rescue. It seems that the man was unlikely to last long under the abuse of his current captors. With that, he dashed back to his camp. They had yet to know of all the land on the human side but that would change soon. This may be the last time he could get close enough to use his telescope.

A while later the man dashed out from the bush near the cabins. He ran up to Elizabeth and quickly whispered his report.

"There's still a human in town. Do you think we should save him?"
Local Type Moon Fanatic.