VIP Roleplaying Board announcement

Play around with roles and whatnot in here, I suppose.

Moderator: Moderators

Kaizure
Apprentice

Re: VIP Roleplaying Board announcement

#46 Post by Kaizure »

TheNewGirl wrote:You begin the game with amnesia, so your character sheet will contain nothin butthe immediately obvious. As you interact you will discover "yourself" and adjust the sheet accordingly. It's a way for people to branch out and write as a character they may not have ever chosen to play before. It will be a challenge.
This sounds a lot like what Trace went through in Twokinds. Woke up with Amnesia, doesn't know who or what he used to be and throughout the story, he's becoming a better person than he once was. His history, however, is slowly revealed to him by people he encounters in the world.

The idea of making up a personality is very much like saying "This character was once a very important individual, once incredibly powerful, but only used said powers for evil. Killing whole towns of innocent people and never looking back with regret."

Now granted, I don't know Trace all that well in terms of his history, but the idea sounds very familiar due to what's told within the comic.
ImageImage
Choose Your Path

PLEASE DON'T PRIVATE MESSAGE ME UNLESS IT'S SOMETHING THAT REQUIRES MY IMMEDIATE ATTENTION

TheNewGirl
Templar GrandMaster

#47 Post by TheNewGirl »

It's funny I never noticed the parallel to the comic.... neat :) This is a lot like that- you must enter into a volatile situation that you don't understand, figure out what skills you possess that might help, uncover who you were, and reconcile that with who you are now.
"Challenge me, dare me, even defy me. But never underestimate me, for on the back of my horse anything is possible."

Raphael
Templar Inner Circle

#48 Post by Raphael »

I forget, is this still active?

Twippit
Grand Templar
Location: At a table top in a remote part of WA playing a high-stakes game of strip DnD

#49 Post by Twippit »

Not really, no. I've got a thing I'm running there now, but it's pretty much just me and Lief. It's the first activity there in about a year. Of course, you're welcome to join us.
Hey. Been a while. I'm on discord at Twippit#9645. See ya around sometime, maybe.

SkybornWG
New Citizen

#50 Post by SkybornWG »

I understand that I am rather new to the TwoKinds forum site, but you didn’t really say that anyone applying to the “VRP” forum thread has to have been here for any certain amount of time. I can also see, according to recent posts here, that it isn’t that active at the moment, and I’d love to put some activity back there, not that I’d really know how active it was to begin with... I would like to apply. ^_^

Myperson54
The Imagineer

#51 Post by Myperson54 »

SkybornWG wrote:I understand that I am rather new to the TwoKinds forum site, but you didn’t really say that anyone applying to the “VRP” forum thread has to have been here for any certain amount of time. I can also see, according to recent posts here, that it isn’t that active at the moment, and I’d love to put some activity back there, not that I’d really know how active it was to begin with... I would like to apply. ^_^
The VIP RP board is no longer active, to the best of my knowledge; Twippit's only on the forums sporadically these days, and he and Lief were the last two people to actually use the board.

It's also grown out of use because:
a.) We already have a relatively small number of active players
b.) The VIP board's joining criteria were subjective at best, and susceptible to bias at worst
c.) There was a general agreement that limiting the board to simply highest-skill players would not only draw gameplay away from the regular board, driving new or inexperienced players away, it would also create an elitist "old boy's club", and that was never wanted.

For those reasons, the VIP RP Board isn't used.

I am become salt, destroyer of memes

Join the Unofficial 2k Discord Channel!

SkybornWG
New Citizen

#52 Post by SkybornWG »

Myperson54 wrote:
SkybornWG wrote:I understand that I am rather new to the TwoKinds forum site, but you didn’t really say that anyone applying to the “VRP” forum thread has to have been here for any certain amount of time. I can also see, according to recent posts here, that it isn’t that active at the moment, and I’d love to put some activity back there, not that I’d really know how active it was to begin with... I would like to apply. ^_^
The VIP RP board is no longer active, to the best of my knowledge; Twippit's only on the forums sporadically these days, and he and Lief were the last two people to actually use the board.

b.) The VIP board's joining criteria were subjective at best, and susceptible to bias at worst
c.) There was a general agreement that limiting the board to simply highest-skill players would not only draw gameplay away from the regular board, driving new or inexperienced players away, it would also create an elitist "old boy's club", and that was never wanted.

Ah, that’s alright. I understand how the possibility of avoiding newer RPers might drive away certain RPers from posting in the general forum. I somewhat figured that this would happen, but I suppose it was worth checking anyway. ^_^

Twippit
Grand Templar
Location: At a table top in a remote part of WA playing a high-stakes game of strip DnD

#53 Post by Twippit »

Good to know I'm still relevant...! ^-^
Hey. Been a while. I'm on discord at Twippit#9645. See ya around sometime, maybe.

MeaCulpa, S.C.M.
The Last Gunslinger

#54 Post by MeaCulpa, S.C.M. »

i_tried.jpg

RPing is hard to get together with forums, because RP skill matters a lot more if you're writing long paragraphs about what your character does, rather than responding to criteria (like D&D) or writing quick lines (like chat-based)

My original idea with the VIP Forum was that people could get away from the general boards from time to time to play with people they knew could RP at a decent level. No one would be shooting hadokens out of their super saiyan werewolf's [censored], no one would be a master samurai with a mysterious past.

Unfortunately (and perhaps expectedly) it kind of got elitist. We honestly felt bad turning people away but we did it to a lot of folks, and people got bitter about it sometimes. I guess I should've seen it coming but oh well. I thought it was worth a shot.

I tried to keep the bar pretty low--basically we were only gonna test for competence. I tried to build a "pass-heavy" introduction system that would only root out really, really bad RPers, but some okay folks got turned away anyways.
VERY, GOOD

KarentheCollie

#55 Post by KarentheCollie »

I would like to join the VIP Role plays please. I'm not sure if I have to be involved in one of the non-VIP ones first or not. But uhh yeah here's my post in this threat as per the instructions.

Razmoudah
Merchant

#56 Post by Razmoudah »

Sadly, Karen, you missed something:
Myperson54 wrote:

It's really sad too, because I would've loved to have joined it if I'd known sooner. I don't dislike RPing a character who is good at combat, actually all of my core character archetypes that I use when starting an RPG that lets you create your own characters have they're specializations, but without some good story-telling to go with it it gets really boring really quickly.

If you are interested in trying to get a new RP going why don't you PM me and we'll see if we can come up with a setting seed to work with for starting a new RP thread. Although I am in favor of having a sub-board where we can selectively give people temp-bans from just that sub-board for godmodding or other activities that are disruptive to the general RP being done in that sub-board (which they were just trying to avoid having to do that, and it sounds like either they were too picky about explaining why a character ended up in the trial scenario or too many people tried to fight their way out) I am willing to attempt to get a new one going in amongst the general population (we could just use the rule that disruptive posts are ignored until the poster either learns how to properly play along or gets banned for trying to start a flame war).
Hmmm......about what I expected when almost half of the questions I'd want to select a few of the answers not a specific one.

ImageImageImageImage

KarentheCollie

#57 Post by KarentheCollie »

Razmoudah wrote:Sadly, Karen, you missed something:
Myperson54 wrote:

It's really sad too, because I would've loved to have joined it if I'd known sooner. I don't dislike RPing a character who is good at combat, actually all of my core character archetypes that I use when starting an RPG that lets you create your own characters have they're specializations, but without some good story-telling to go with it it gets really boring really quickly.

If you are interested in trying to get a new RP going why don't you PM me and we'll see if we can come up with a setting seed to work with for starting a new RP thread. Although I am in favor of having a sub-board where we can selectively give people temp-bans from just that sub-board for godmodding or other activities that are disruptive to the general RP being done in that sub-board (which they were just trying to avoid having to do that, and it sounds like either they were too picky about explaining why a character ended up in the trial scenario or too many people tried to fight their way out) I am willing to attempt to get a new one going in amongst the general population (we could just use the rule that disruptive posts are ignored until the poster either learns how to properly play along or gets banned for trying to start a flame war).

Aww pitty. I would have loved such a thing. I am interested in starting a new RP, but I wouldn't really know what to do as far as hosting or GM-ing it. I'd be happy to brainstorm in PM with you.

Kaldra Versvesh

#58 Post by Kaldra Versvesh »

KarentheCollie wrote:
Razmoudah wrote:Sadly, Karen, you missed something:
Myperson54 wrote:

Aww pitty. I would have loved such a thing. I am interested in starting a new RP, but I wouldn't really know what to do as far as hosting or GM-ing it. I'd be happy to brainstorm in PM with you.

Are you guys still going with the above concept? I have had experience in other places of rp, but I'm alittle hesitant in joining rps on these forums. Perhaps I just need help breaking the ice.

Phaing
Master

#59 Post by Phaing »

Looks like the interest level is considerable. :wink:

Maybe instead of V.I.P., it could be called 'Active', ready and willing to actually participate in something.
"If you’re going to tell people the truth, you'd better make them laugh; otherwise, they will kill you."

-George Bernard Shaw

The Rookie
Grand Templar

#60 Post by The Rookie »

Phaing wrote:Maybe instead of V.I.P., it could be called 'Active', ready and willing to actually participate in something.
^This^

There's certainly a few reliable RPers on here, but there are certainly some of us who tend to be more dedicated to updates and progress.
In my case, it's because I have very little else to do with my life. Oh God why... ?
Nothing ventured, nothing gained.