The Daily Beasts (open)

Play around with roles and whatnot in here, I suppose.

Moderator: avwolf

Message
Author
User avatar
Overlord of Space & Time
Posts: 1455
Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:32 am
Location: Somewhere between life, death, and a grilled cheese sandwich.

Re: The Daily Beasts (open)

#991 Post by DarkTheImmortal » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:26 am

Phaing wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:01 pm
You have covered a few miles when you hear the sound of small trees being splintered behind you, and the bellow of the Bear again, far behind you.

Rita and Annaria are riding together, and Rita huffs a little impatiently while the adults are talking. "They won't let me to anything important." She does not show any grumpiness or frustration to Sylvi or Raimius, they have enough to worry about, but venting a little with Annaria seems safe enough. "What about you? I know this isn't your kind of forest, but you are a Fox, the cleverest of all Keidran, right? I bet you can get used to it faster than they think. Maybe we can go scouting ahead and find a short-cut to the lake?"
Upon hearing the bear again, she quietly let out a few keidran curses, probably loud enough for someone else to hear though.

After Rita brings up the idea of scouting, she ponders the idea for a moment. "We probably could..." She paused for a moment, looking back in the direction of where they heard the roar. "But I kind of don't want to get separated with that thing following us. I know you want to do something exciting, but maybe not when we know something that can kill us is nearby. Especially since I stick out like an orange in a pile of apples." With all the clothing she's wearing, the orange fur on her head, and the snow would probably make it difficult to stay out of sight if anything does find them if they're scouting.

(Also, I will say Anaraia probably has little experience with forests as of now because looking at the map the fox territory is forest-free, probably the only experience she has is running away at the beginning of her adventure from the town.)
The Rookie wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:19 pm
“<Anaraia, Raimius and I are going to lag behind in case the beast tries to follow us out. You keep going no matter what you hear, alright? Don’t stop, don’t hide and don’t come back looking for us, alright?>” Sylvi is trying her best not to sound terrified, but there’s a tremble in her Kiedran she hoped Rita won’t be able to distinguish from her normal speech.
Her eyes pass over to the daggers and she visibly winces “<They won’t do anything, alright, hon? You can’t get too close to these things; at least not without spear or pike of some sort...>”
"<No>" She said without hesitation, staring directly at Sylvi. "<I don't want to lose anyone else. I just can't stand by while more people I care about die.>" She is trying to stay calm-ish as well with Rita there. She takes a deep breath and sighs to calm down a bit more. "<You underestimate my power.>" She said while showing off her main blade. "<If the bear does find us, which hopefully it doesn't, the three of us fighting it...>" Since she never seen Rita fight, Anaraia assumes she doesn't "<...will have a better chance of beating it. It'll be like what some of the hunters did back home.>"

The Rookie wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:19 pm
With that, Sylvi plunges her spear head deep into the animal’s leg; its agonising bellow ringing out for all to hear as it bolts off into the wilderness, leaving a crimson red train behind it for all to follow.
"Yes, lots of noise, keep bear away from us, now can we keep going?"

User avatar
Master
Posts: 216
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:31 am

Re: The Daily Beasts (open)

#992 Post by Phaing » Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:10 am

DarkTheImmortal wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:26 am
"We probably could..." She paused for a moment, looking back in the direction of where they heard the roar. "But I kind of don't want to get separated with that thing following us. I know you want to do something exciting, but maybe not when we know something that can kill us is nearby. Especially since I stick out like an orange in a pile of apples."
"Oh, I didn't mean right now! I just thought that we might be able to do some good in the future. Maybe-"

The Rookie wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:19 pm
Sylvi grabs Rita around the waist and lifts her atop her steed. “Girls, both of you out front.” she orders in a fluster while fussing over both Rita and her mount.
..."or maybe right now!"
It is a pleasant surprise for her, and Rita already has a path in mind...
The Rookie wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:19 pm
“Predators aren’t like hunters, they’re not after a challenge; they just want an easy meal.” she explains as she draws her spear from one of the packs. “Injured and isolated prey is less likely to put up a fight.” she pauses as she lines up the tip of her spear to the mare’s hip. “So let’s give it something easier to chase.”

With that, Sylvi plunges her spear head deep into the animal’s leg; its agonising bellow ringing out for all to hear as it bolts off into the wilderness, leaving a crimson red train behind it for all to follow.

Yes, but there was a flaw in this plan. Even in pain, it isn't about to run straight into the arms of a Bear. The horse veers off and loops back around. Not straight at you, you just hurt it, but close enough to make Raimius urge everyone to move. "Faster!"
The path is Handy, you need an easy way to go now, being short a horse now one of the adults has to run alongside, or both, hanging on to the stirrup.

It is an anxious few minutes, but You catch a break; the Bear follows the horse, not you. You can even catch a glimpse of it as the big old bruin puts on a burst of speed, and lands on the wounded animal somewhere in a thicket. There is hardly a sound from the horse, the end is that quick.
However, you haven't gone far enough to hear the rest of it.
There comes a trumpeting screech ... I can't describe it better than that, and this is something that even Sylvi has never heard the like of before. The horses do NOT like it and want to move even faster.
More screeches, answered by the distant roar of the Bear, and he is outnumbered, his roar is drowned out by those other strange noises. It is a heck of a battle, but in the end it is the Bear's turn to scream. It is over before you are out of earshot, Raimius is looking grim and Rita is shaking.
"Maybe we should not camp tonight, just press on by the light of the Moon."
"If you’re going to tell people the truth, you'd better make them laugh; otherwise, they will kill you."

-George Bernard Shaw

User avatar
Grand Templar
Posts: 1325
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:34 am
Location: Australia

Re: The Daily Beasts (open)

#993 Post by The Rookie » Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:23 pm

DarkTheImmortal wrote:"<No>" She said without hesitation, staring directly at Sylvi. "<I don't want to lose anyone else. I just can't stand by while more people I care about die.>" She is trying to stay calm-ish as well with Rita there. She takes a deep breath and sighs to calm down a bit more. "<You underestimate my power.>" She said while showing off her main blade. "<If the bear does find us, which hopefully it doesn't, the three of us fighting it...>" Since she never seen Rita fight, Anaraia assumes she doesn't "<...will have a better chance of beating it. It'll be like what some of the hunters did back home.>"
Sylvi, unpacking her kit from her horse at this point, drops a bag to the ground in frustration. “<Look, I get you want to be seen as an adult, but this isn’t the time or the place.> she grumbles, firmly putting her foot down. “<That is a bear; A very large, angry northern bear. If it catches us there won’t be a fight, understand me?>” Ana has probably never seen this side of Sylvi before, but Raimius would be able to recognise her authoritarian tone as similar to how she addressed Zha-Zha; very much a ‘don’t push me’ tone and posture.

“<We wouldn’t be trying to fight it, we’d be running as distractions to keep you and Rita safe. Get it to follow one of us instead.>” she looks towards where the bear had been heard, realising she was wasting precious little time. “<I am not arguing this with you. Keep Rita a safe distance ahead, understood?>”

//Not waiting for a response, she continues to stab the poor horsey//
Phaing wrote: Yes, but there was a flaw in this plan. Even in pain, it isn't about to run straight into the arms of a Bear. The horse veers off and loops back around. Not straight at you, you just hurt it, but close enough to make Raimius urge everyone to move. "Faster!"
The path is Handy, you need an easy way to go now, being short a horse now one of the adults has to run alongside, or both, hanging on to the stirrup.
Sylvi is confident enough in that small window of time to summon Sven, although in hindsight she probably should have done that before stabbing the horse...

In no more than half a minute flat, Sylvi gathers her belongings and quickly mounts Sven’s back; ensuring she keeps a safe distance left or right of Raimius for now.
Phaing wrote: It is an anxious few minutes, but You catch a break; the Bear follows the horse, not you. You can even catch a glimpse of it as the big old bruin puts on a burst of speed, and lands on the wounded animal somewhere in a thicket. There is hardly a sound from the horse, the end is that quick.
However, you haven't gone far enough to hear the rest of it.
There comes a trumpeting screech ... I can't describe it better than that, and this is something that even Sylvi has never heard the like of before. The horses do NOT like it and want to move even faster.
More screeches, answered by the distant roar of the Bear, and he is outnumbered, his roar is drowned out by those other strange noises. It is a heck of a battle, but in the end it is the Bear's turn to scream. It is over before you are out of earshot, Raimius is looking grim and Rita is shaking.
"Maybe we should not camp tonight, just press on by the light of the Moon."
“Not a chance in hell!” Sylvi mutters, still looking back to where the noise came from. “Bears don’t scare easy, and we’re not stopping to find out why. HIYA!” she cries out, giving Sven a swift heel to the side.

She ain’t slowing down, and she sure as hell ain’t stoppin’.
Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Image
Image

User avatar
Master
Posts: 216
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:31 am

Re: The Daily Beasts (open)

#994 Post by Phaing » Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:05 pm

The Rookie wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:23 pm
“Not a chance in hell!” Sylvi mutters, still looking back to where the noise came from. “Bears don’t scare easy, and we’re not stopping to find out why. HIYA!” she cries out, giving Sven a swift heel to the side.

She ain’t slowing down, and she sure as hell ain’t stoppin’.
((Just a reminder, the suggestion was to NOT camp that night))

Rita's senses are heightened by fear, and the feeling that the Bear was not frighted, but killed by a pack of ... something. She points without speaking at something on the ground, as she and Annaria pass by it.
You are crossing a line of tracks in the snow, prints that look like 3-toed claws, and each claw is about as long as your fore-arm. Raimius sees them and silently mouths the word Dragons? to Sylvi.
"If you’re going to tell people the truth, you'd better make them laugh; otherwise, they will kill you."

-George Bernard Shaw

User avatar
Overlord of Space & Time
Posts: 1455
Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:32 am
Location: Somewhere between life, death, and a grilled cheese sandwich.

Re: The Daily Beasts (open)

#995 Post by DarkTheImmortal » Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:28 am

The Rookie wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:23 pm
Sylvi, unpacking her kit from her horse at this point, drops a bag to the ground in frustration. “<Look, I get you want to be seen as an adult, but this isn’t the time or the place.> she grumbles, firmly putting her foot down. “<That is a bear; A very large, angry northern bear. If it catches us there won’t be a fight, understand me?>” Ana has probably never seen this side of Sylvi before, but Raimius would be able to recognise her authoritarian tone as similar to how she addressed Zha-Zha; very much a ‘don’t push me’ tone and posture.

“<We wouldn’t be trying to fight it, we’d be running as distractions to keep you and Rita safe. Get it to follow one of us instead.>” she looks towards where the bear had been heard, realising she was wasting precious little time. “<I am not arguing this with you. Keep Rita a safe distance ahead, understood?>”

//Not waiting for a response, she continues to stab the poor horsey//
Anaraia was at first taken aback by Sylvi's authoritative tone, but collected herself and stood her ground as well. She looked into Sylvi's eyes and spoke in a hushed voice, her eyes watering up a bit but no tears actually fall. "<I can't lose anyone else.>" With that she just looked away from Sylvi and continued with what they were doing. I was obvious she was a mix of saddened and scared.

Phaing wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:10 am
It is an anxious few minutes, but You catch a break; the Bear follows the horse, not you. You can even catch a glimpse of it as the big old bruin puts on a burst of speed, and lands on the wounded animal somewhere in a thicket. There is hardly a sound from the horse, the end is that quick.
However, you haven't gone far enough to hear the rest of it.
There comes a trumpeting screech ... I can't describe it better than that, and this is something that even Sylvi has never heard the like of before. The horses do NOT like it and want to move even faster.
More screeches, answered by the distant roar of the Bear, and he is outnumbered, his roar is drowned out by those other strange noises. It is a heck of a battle, but in the end it is the Bear's turn to scream. It is over before you are out of earshot, Raimius is looking grim and Rita is shaking.
"Maybe we should not camp tonight, just press on by the light of the Moon."
"Well, that's one way to solve a problem" She said with a quiver in her voice. She was shaking a little as well. She tries to do the kick she sees people on horses do to make them go faster. "But solving a problem with a problem is the least helpful and causes more problems. Not stopping sounds like an excellent idea."
Phaing wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:05 pm
Rita's senses are heightened by fear, and the feeling that the Bear was not frighted, but killed by a pack of ... something. She points without speaking at something on the ground, as she and Annaria pass by it.
You are crossing a line of tracks in the snow, prints that look like 3-toed claws, and each claw is about as long as your fore-arm. Raimius sees them and silently mouths the word Dragons? to Sylvi.
Anaraia only sees it after Rita points to it as she was looking forward the whole time. As they were passing the tracks she looked at them and squinted a bit. "What do those belong to?" She asked, never having seen anything like it. She started mumbling a bit. "<Stupid snow forest trying to kill me. In all my journey it had to be here where wildlife tries to kill me and don't get me started on the cold...>" Her hushed ranting goes on for quite a while.

User avatar
Grand Templar
Posts: 1325
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:34 am
Location: Australia

Re: The Daily Beasts (open)

#996 Post by The Rookie » Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:40 am

DarkTheImmortal wrote:Anaraia was at first taken aback by Sylvi's authoritative tone, but collected herself and stood her ground as well. She looked into Sylvi's eyes and spoke in a hushed voice, her eyes watering up a bit but no tears actually fall. "<I can't lose anyone else.>" With that she just looked away from Sylvi and continued with what they were doing. I was obvious she was a mix of saddened and scared.
Sylvi isn’t made of stone, and it wasn’t that Anaraia’s pleas were falling on deaf ears; it’s just there was no time for niceties, and Sylv was having none of it.

Sylvi is heard muttering “I swear, when I was her age...” and something about along the lines of “Back in my day.” when she pauses and gives Raimius a threatening look. The ‘I don’t want to hear it’ glare’, hoping to end any discussion before it began.
Phaing wrote:((Just a reminder, the suggestion was to NOT camp that night))
//Yep, just doubling down on the not camping part.//

Phaing wrote:Rita's senses are heightened by fear, and the feeling that the Bear was not frighted, but killed by a pack of ... something. She points without speaking at something on the ground, as she and Annaria pass by it.
You are crossing a line of tracks in the snow, prints that look like 3-toed claws, and each claw is about as long as your fore-arm. Raimius sees them and silently mouths the word Dragons? to Sylvi.
Sylvi had never seen a dragon in person before, and her studies had only given her a rough idea as to what to expect from such things.

The only connecting trait between all dragons and drakes was their size, strength and connection to the powers of magic; the rest is up to the individual. Whether they’re man eating beast or sentinels of justice is purely on whatever mood they’re in that day.

Still, without the proper knowledge, Sylvi shakes her head with an accompanying shrug in response to Rita’s question. Raising a finger as if to ask her to wait a moment, while moving closer to Raimius (As close as she can get given Sven).

“<Raimius... The footprints... How old they are?>” flashing Rita a smile as she waits for a response. “<Rita thinks it’s a dragon, and if it is... Dragons aren’t supposed to do much walking...>”
Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Image
Image

User avatar
Master
Posts: 216
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:31 am

Re: The Daily Beasts (open)

#997 Post by Phaing » Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:15 am

DarkTheImmortal wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:28 am
Anaraia was at first taken aback by Sylvi's authoritative tone, but collected herself and stood her ground as well. She looked into Sylvi's eyes and spoke in a hushed voice, her eyes watering up a bit but no tears actually fall. "<I can't lose anyone else.>" With that she just looked away from Sylvi and continued with what they were doing. I was obvious she was a mix of saddened and scared.
Sylvi and Raimius are both too focused on other things, but Rita is still there. She squirms so that she can turn around and give Anna a nice hug. "Don't worry! I used to be a Princess, and Raimius is the best Guard I ever had! And Sylvi can heal us if we get hurt! Well, maybe not Raimius, but he never gets hurt unless he does something dumb."
"I heard that!"
"Well, its true, isn't it? Anyway, don't worry, and don't think that anyone is just going to do anything bad to you while we are around. We are the good guys, right?"
DarkTheImmortal wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:28 am
Anaraia only sees it after Rita points to it as she was looking forward the whole time. As they were passing the tracks she looked at them and squinted a bit. "What do those belong to?" She asked, never having seen anything like it. She started mumbling a bit. "<Stupid snow forest trying to kill me. In all my journey it had to be here where wildlife tries to kill me and don't get me started on the cold...>" Her hushed ranting goes on for quite a while.
Rita just shrugs, she will be turning around again so that she can sot on something other than the saddle-horn. "Aw, don't get too excited yet. This is just the North, we haven't even made it to the Far North yet! I wonder if we will get to see the Whitefield Ruins..."

The Rookie wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:40 am
“<Raimius... The footprints... How old they are?>” flashing Rita a smile as she waits for a response. “<Rita thinks it’s a dragon, and if it is... Dragons aren’t supposed to do much walking...>”
"They don't, not on their hind feet!" Raimius crouches low over the print, and pokes it with a stick. He watches it crumble, and he isn't liking what he sees. "Lets get going."
A little later, when he can tell her without being overheard, he says to Sylvi; "Minutes, maybe. Whatever that was, we didn't miss running right into it by very much at all!"

It is a miserable night, for the horses most of all. You have to dismount and walk them fairly often, and at dawn Raimius has to break the ice on a stream so they can drink. Pressing on through the day, even Rita is getting cranky, but she has also picked up on the mood of the adults and does her best to keep watch. Her eyes are on what is ahead of you, and Raimius is mostly looking behind.

(this references the map below, which you entered from the bottom right corner)
There is a road that you cross a little after mid-day, but Raimius is adamant about crossing it instead of using it. "See how the horses have perked up? There is something around here, some sort of settlement. Let's climb that hill and get a look at them before we let them see us."
The hill is not steep, but it is higher and more heavily forested than he had anticipated. Worse yet, there are more of those monstrous tracks, but these are old, partly filled with blown snow. Raimius is having second thoughts when you find yourselves at a fine vantage point...
(this will be hex 0706, practically dead center of the map)



Image


Rita will be happy to climb a tree, and what she sees isn't much more than you can see of what is north of you, but to the west she sees those slate-grey buildings with brown roofs... they have bars on the windows. "Tarnow?" She climbs down and asks Raimius. "R- ... Dad... could this be Tarnow?"

He drives his fist into his open palm with a crack that makes the nearest horse flinch. "That would be just our damn bloody luck, wouldn't it?!" He shakes his head, and his shoulders too, but it isn't from the cold. "Masks take it, we nearly walked into the middle of-"

"They don't know what you are talking about!" Rita nods to Sylvi and Annaria.

"oh, right... sorry." Raimius collects himself. "Tarnow... they don't advertise, and don't worry about Templars, they stay away from here. This is a prison, a military prison. They send the worst of the worst here. Few come back, even being sent to guard this place can be seen as something of a punishment ... unless that guard is a sadist to begin with." He shakes his head again, struggling to think straight. "I'm not sure what to do... I don't know... cursed daylight, we have to get past this place!"

Rita points north, trying to be helpful. "Aren't those snow-clouds coming now?"

Raimius looks behind himself quickly, as if he heard that warbling shriek again. "Do you really want to trust that crap to get here in time to save us?" He snaps at her, and quickly tries to apologize. "I'm sorry, I ... maybe we can bluff our way through?"
"If you’re going to tell people the truth, you'd better make them laugh; otherwise, they will kill you."

-George Bernard Shaw

User avatar
Grand Templar
Posts: 1325
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:34 am
Location: Australia

Re: The Daily Beasts (open)

#998 Post by The Rookie » Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:17 am

Phaing wrote:"They don't, not on their hind feet!" Raimius crouches low over the print, and pokes it with a stick. He watches it crumble, and he isn't liking what he sees. "Lets get going."
A little later, when he can tell her without being overheard, he says to Sylvi; "Minutes, maybe. Whatever that was, we didn't miss running right into it by very much at all!"
Sylvi can feel her heart leaping up into her throat as she takes in the news. Was thing that took down the bear, or something else entirely? What other monstrosities have wondered into her home land in her absence.

"If it's not a dragon, what else could it have been? A wyvern, or maybe a drake?” she ask, clearly struggling to contemplate anything of such size not being draconid or ornithosaur in nature. “More importantly, where was it going?”

Phaing wrote:Raimius looks behind himself quickly, as if he heard that warbling shriek again. "Do you really want to trust that crap to get here in time to save us?" He snaps at her, and quickly tries to apologize. "I'm sorry, I ... maybe we can bluff our way through?"
“You said this is a human military prison, right?” Sylvi ask for conformation before waving her hands up and down her body. “Do you think they’re going to let me anywhere near this place? They’ll probably hang me as a spy before you could get a word out.”
Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Image
Image

User avatar
Overlord of Space & Time
Posts: 1455
Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:32 am
Location: Somewhere between life, death, and a grilled cheese sandwich.

Re: The Daily Beasts (open)

#999 Post by DarkTheImmortal » Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:40 am

Phaing wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:15 am
Sylvi and Raimius are both too focused on other things, but Rita is still there. She squirms so that she can turn around and give Anna a nice hug. "Don't worry! I used to be a Princess, and Raimius is the best Guard I ever had! And Sylvi can heal us if we get hurt! Well, maybe not Raimius, but he never gets hurt unless he does something dumb."
"I heard that!"
"Well, its true, isn't it? Anyway, don't worry, and don't think that anyone is just going to do anything bad to you while we are around. We are the good guys, right?"
She hugged back. "It's just... so much is happening so fast. It was only a few months ago that I was at home with my parents, helping out around the village and all that. Now I'm very far away, not wanting to go back because it just wouldn't be the same... I'm scared."
She took a deep breath and sighed. "But you're right. I need to be strong. With you all my chances of living are significantly better than when I was alone. And if you're not the good guys, I have to re-evaluate my friend selection." She said that last part with a smile and a chuckle.
Phaing wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:15 am
Rita will be happy to climb a tree, and what she sees isn't much more than you can see of what is north of you, but to the west she sees those slate-grey buildings with brown roofs... they have bars on the windows. "Tarnow?" She climbs down and asks Raimius. "R- ... Dad... could this be Tarnow?"

He drives his fist into his open palm with a crack that makes the nearest horse flinch. "That would be just our damn bloody luck, wouldn't it?!" He shakes his head, and his shoulders too, but it isn't from the cold. "Masks take it, we nearly walked into the middle of-"

"They don't know what you are talking about!" Rita nods to Sylvi and Annaria.

"oh, right... sorry." Raimius collects himself. "Tarnow... they don't advertise, and don't worry about Templars, they stay away from here. This is a prison, a military prison. They send the worst of the worst here. Few come back, even being sent to guard this place can be seen as something of a punishment ... unless that guard is a sadist to begin with." He shakes his head again, struggling to think straight. "I'm not sure what to do... I don't know... cursed daylight, we have to get past this place!"

Rita points north, trying to be helpful. "Aren't those snow-clouds coming now?"

Raimius looks behind himself quickly, as if he heard that warbling shriek again. "Do you really want to trust that crap to get here in time to save us?" He snaps at her, and quickly tries to apologize. "I'm sorry, I ... maybe we can bluff our way through?"
The Rookie wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:17 am
“You said this is a human military prison, right?” Sylvi ask for conformation before waving her hands up and down her body. “Do you think they’re going to let me anywhere near this place? They’ll probably hang me as a spy before you could get a word out.”
"Military prison? Two words I don't want to hear in the same title. Actually I would prefer not to hear either of those words alone as it is."
Anaraia looked around, as if to make sure they weren't already being attacked. "And they'd be more likely to kill me on the spot. Pretty sure they don't see many free foxes up here. Would it be possible to go around at this point? I really don't want to go through."

User avatar
Master
Posts: 216
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:31 am

Re: The Daily Beasts (open)

#1000 Post by Phaing » Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:10 am

DarkTheImmortal wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:40 am
She took a deep breath and sighed. "But you're right. I need to be strong. With you all my chances of living are significantly better than when I was alone. And if you're not the good guys, I have to re-evaluate my friend selection." She said that last part with a smile and a chuckle.
And since she pretty much needs to at a moment like this, Rita passes you the Sheath this has been working on. "It isn't finished, I was going to add a quick-release and some decoration, but its all I have to give you right now."
The Rookie wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:17 am
“You said this is a human military prison, right?” Sylvi ask for conformation before waving her hands up and down her body. “Do you think they’re going to let me anywhere near this place? They’ll probably hang me as a spy before you could get a word out.”
"There is at least one Wolf working with the Templars that I know of, but I don't know any details about that. There is also the conspiracy theory going around that this war is a phony, at some level. Its not like there have been any major battles yet, have there? Just a lot of raiding back and forth... if one side or the other had won a big one we would have heard about it from everyone we met."
He sighs, and nods to her. "I know what you are saying, but ... keep your head and don't quit if you get cornered. If all else fails, you are a healer. NOBODY wants to kill a healer. Aside from the usual reasons, It's also supposed to be bad Karma. At the very least, it gives you a very bad rep with everyone that has a functional brain."
DarkTheImmortal wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:40 am
"Military prison? Two words I don't want to hear in the same title. Actually I would prefer not to hear either of those words alone as it is."
Anaraia looked around, as if to make sure they weren't already being attacked. "And they'd be more likely to kill me on the spot. Pretty sure they don't see many free foxes up here. Would it be possible to go around at this point? I really don't want to go through."
Rita shivers, and looks around. "If this is a prison, where are the Walls? Where are the Guards?"

Annaria is young and has sharp eyes, she can see that a lot of the buildings have numbers on them right above the doors; 3-10, 4-11, 6-16 and so on.

(have to cut this short, I'll be back in two days!. Post away in the meanwhile))
"If you’re going to tell people the truth, you'd better make them laugh; otherwise, they will kill you."

-George Bernard Shaw

User avatar
Grand Templar
Posts: 1325
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:34 am
Location: Australia

Re: The Daily Beasts (open)

#1001 Post by The Rookie » Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:53 am

Phaing wrote:"There is at least one Wolf working with the Templars that I know of, but I don't know any details about that."
Sylvi's expression sours at the thought. keidran had been fighting each other for generations, but taking up arms against your own people in the name of a foreign power was something else. She won't interject, but she mouths the words "<Blood traitor>" as Raimius continues.
Phaing wrote:There is also the conspiracy theory going around that this war is a phony, at some level. Its not like there have been any major battles yet, have there? Just a lot of raiding back and forth... if one side or the other had won a big one we would have heard about it from everyone we met."
((At this point in universe at least 3 major settlements had been razed, and we've seen what looks like a large army mobilising toward the front lines. Arguably, these were all in the South-lands which could be why we'd not heard about it.))
Phaing wrote:He sighs, and nods to her. "I know what you are saying, but ... keep your head and don't quit if you get cornered. If all else fails, you are a healer. NOBODY wants to kill a healer. Aside from the usual reasons, It's also supposed to be bad Karma. At the very least, it gives you a very bad rep with everyone that has a functional brain."
"Like you said, these are the worst of the worst. I have my doubts the warden would care much for a few more blotches on his moral record." she mutters with pessimism. Still, she pulls her chin up. Given her track record so far, there's bound to be a case of gout, or out break of dysentery that she'd be able to alleviate in exchange for immunity... Hopefully...

She reshuffles her kit to make herself appear more like an apothecary than a common traveller. Uncovering her bandoleer of crystals, and openly carrying her satchel. Not a lot she can do, but maybe it'd be enough.
Phaing wrote:Rita shivers, and looks around. "If this is a prison, where are the Walls? Where are the Guards?"
"She makes a good point." Sylvi concurs worryingly.
Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Image
Image

User avatar
Overlord of Space & Time
Posts: 1455
Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:32 am
Location: Somewhere between life, death, and a grilled cheese sandwich.

Re: The Daily Beasts (open)

#1002 Post by DarkTheImmortal » Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:02 am

Phaing wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:10 am
And since she pretty much needs to at a moment like this, Rita passes you the Sheath this has been working on. "It isn't finished, I was going to add a quick-release and some decoration, but its all I have to give you right now."
Anaraia takes it as if she was being handed a baby. "Oh wow, it looks great already. Can't wait to see it finished, once we're away from here that is." She paused for a moment, looked at it confusingly, then spoke. "Just one question where and how do I put it on?"
Phaing wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:10 am
Rita shivers, and looks around. "If this is a prison, where are the Walls? Where are the Guards?"

Annaria is young and has sharp eyes, she can see that a lot of the buildings have numbers on them right above the doors; 3-10, 4-11, 6-16 and so on
The Rookie wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:53 am
"She makes a good point." Sylvi concurs worryingly.
She stares at the numbers contemplatively. "Maybe they don't need guards or walls." She points to the buildings with the numbers. "Maybe those are where the cells are, but with the lack of security, I don't think I want to know what's in there. Or maybe said security is because of how far north we are and nobody sane enough would come here willingly for a prison break." She said the last bit with a tone that was a mix of mocking and seriousness. "and or escapees won't last long out here anyways."

Remembering something, she pulled out her newest dagger she took off of one of the templar thugs from the in. "I also have this."
She takes the handle apart revealing the key shape and the carvings on each side: "TARN" and "5-13".
"Could TARN mean Tarnow?"

User avatar
Master
Posts: 216
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:31 am

Re: The Daily Beasts (open)

#1003 Post by Phaing » Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:41 am

DarkTheImmortal wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:02 am
"Just one question where and how do I put it on?"
"Oh, right! You have to take your coat off, these loops go over your shoulders. It hangs down your back and when you want it you just reach down the back of your collar and pull it out."
The Rookie wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:53 am
"She makes a good point." Sylvi concurs worryingly.
"She does have a habit of doing that." Raimius does not sound very pleased, just grim.
DarkTheImmortal wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:02 am
"Maybe they don't need guards or walls." She points to the buildings with the numbers. "Maybe those are where the cells are, but with the lack of security, I don't think I want to know what's in there. Or maybe said security is because of how far north we are and nobody sane enough would come here willingly for a prison break." She said the last bit with a tone that was a mix of mocking and seriousness. "and or escapees won't last long out here anyways."
"Something stinks here. It isn't always winter, so they can't rely on the cold & snow to foil escapes, and this place isn't isolated enough to ... hey, no stables, does anyone see anything that looks like a stable? Damn, no horses. How do they track down anyone that makes it out?"
DarkTheImmortal wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:02 am
Remembering something, she pulled out her newest dagger she took off of one of the templar thugs from the in. "I also have this."
She takes the handle apart revealing the key shape and the carvings on each side: "TARN" and "5-13".
"Could TARN mean Tarnow?"
"Where did you get that?!" Raimius is shocked and amazed, but he also starts to smile and glances at Sylvi. "I think we just got very lucky! Hope so , anyway..."

Rita freezes, and she is making a panicked whine in the back of her throat. She seems like a scared Rabbit as she raises a hand, and points at the far end of the little valley (hex 0510). A cow was standing around, unnoticed so far, but it bellows and starts to run from... something you have never seen before. The Cow makes it around the corner, but it does nothing but spare you the sight of it's demise. Two of these things pursued it, and a third was waiting for it, possibly, and a fourth Squalls and comes barreling out of the clump of buildings just in front of you.

These "things" look like this, and the scale is accurate -


Image

Raimius is the first to find words. "Okay girls, we have a choice, sneak into the building that Key is for, or run for it and hope we take a long enough way around that those things don't catch our scent. We have to decide right now, while those things are feasting!"
Rita isn't speaking, at all, but she has that "I wanna go home!" look in her eyes.

Building 5 is down in that group to your left.


(( I thought long and hard about how to fill the ecological niche left open by the civilization of Tigers, Wolves and others. All I had to do was look back into recent pre-history; the Terror-Birds of 10,000 years ago. They were out-competed by more efficient predators like Wolves, but it took a long time for that to happen.
Perhaps these are natural, or they were re-invented by a mad mage in this very prison. Either way, I like this, and maybe Tom will like it too... ))
"If you’re going to tell people the truth, you'd better make them laugh; otherwise, they will kill you."

-George Bernard Shaw

User avatar
Grand Templar
Posts: 1325
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:34 am
Location: Australia

Re: The Daily Beasts (open)

#1004 Post by The Rookie » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:20 am

Phaing wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:41 am
Rita freezes, and she is making a panicked whine in the back of her throat. She seems like a scared Rabbit as she raises a hand, and points at the far end of the little valley (hex 0510). A cow was standing around, unnoticed so far, but it bellows and starts to run from... something you have never seen before. The Cow makes it around the corner, but it does nothing but spare you the sight of it's demise. Two of these things pursued it, and a third was waiting for it, possibly, and a fourth Squalls and comes barreling out of the clump of buildings just in front of you.
Sylvi covers her mouth muffle her gasp. "<The fu- > What the hell is that?!"
Phaing wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:41 am
Raimius is the first to find words. "Okay girls, we have a choice, sneak into the building that Key is for, or run for it and hope we take a long enough way around that those things don't catch our scent. We have to decide right now, while those things are feasting!"
While it seems like the obvious thing to bail on the town and flee, that would likely spell worse trouble for all of them. These things seem more than capable of running the group down should they encounter them out in the wilderness later. That's not even mentioning what ever else has been skulking around out in the forest.

"I vote we move into the buildings. At the very least it'll give us a safe place to settle for the night, and I'd rather have the solid walls and iron bars than a tarp tonight."
Phaing wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:41 am
Rita isn't speaking, at all, but she has that "I wanna go home!" look in her eyes.
"Come on, pup. I just need you to keep being brave a little longer, ok?" Sylvi says in her more motherly tone while moving along side Rita's mount. "Here, how about you take Sven for me? You'll have to abandon the horses to get inside, so how about I take the horses to the stable and lock them up safe?" she continues while dismounting from her buck. "Just make sure you two stay a few meters behind you know who, but don't ever let him out of your sight."
Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Image
Image

User avatar
Overlord of Space & Time
Posts: 1455
Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:32 am
Location: Somewhere between life, death, and a grilled cheese sandwich.

Re: The Daily Beasts (open)

#1005 Post by DarkTheImmortal » Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:33 am

Phaing wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:41 am
"Oh, right! You have to take your coat off, these loops go over your shoulders. It hangs down your back and when you want it you just reach down the back of your collar and pull it out."
She quickly takes off the coat, slips on the sheath, and then puts the jacket back on. She reaches behind to slip her dagger into it.
"Now I just have to remember it's there" She said as she was practicing taking the dagger out and putting it back in.
Phaing wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:41 am
"Where did you get that?!" Raimius is shocked and amazed, but he also starts to smile and glances at Sylvi. "I think we just got very lucky! Hope so , anyway..."
"well" She said kind of guiltily but kind of not. "I kind of pilfered it off of one of those templar thugs back at the inn. I played around with it that night, getting the feel of it ya know? and I found that the handle can come right off and reveal this key." She flashed the key into the air.
"If no one is around yet, I kinda wanna go snooping. They deserve it for sending someone with the key after us." She shrugged.
Phaing wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:41 am
Rita freezes, and she is making a panicked whine in the back of her throat. She seems like a scared Rabbit as she raises a hand, and points at the far end of the little valley (hex 0510). A cow was standing around, unnoticed so far, but it bellows and starts to run from... something you have never seen before. The Cow makes it around the corner, but it does nothing but spare you the sight of it's demise. Two of these things pursued it, and a third was waiting for it, possibly, and a fourth Squalls and comes barreling out of the clump of buildings just in front of you.

Raimius is the first to find words. "Okay girls, we have a choice, sneak into the building that Key is for, or run for it and hope we take a long enough way around that those things don't catch our scent. We have to decide right now, while those things are feasting!"
Rita isn't speaking, at all, but she has that "I wanna go home!" look in her eyes.

Building 5 is down in that group to your left.
She looks towards the direction Rita was pointing and immediately her heart sank. "Is it too late to go south, maybe hide in the fox territories. I don't wanna be up here anyone." She said with a quivering voice. "I vote for hiding as well. closer and if we get there less of a chance of being followed."
The Rookie wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:20 am
"Come on, pup. I just need you to keep being brave a little longer, ok?" Sylvi says in her more motherly tone while moving along side Rita's mount. "Here, how about you take Sven for me? You'll have to abandon the horses to get inside, so how about I take the horses to the stable and lock them up safe?" she continues while dismounting from her buck. "Just make sure you two stay a few meters behind you know who, but don't ever let him out of your sight."
"No, too much time. Even Raimius said he couldn't see one."
Phaing wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:41 am
hey, no stables, does anyone see anything that looks like a stable? Damn, no horses. How do they track down anyone that makes it out?"
She looked at the horse. "As much as I'd hate to, the only thing we can do is leave it if we hide. It may survive, but it's a sacrifice we must take."

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests