Upcoming War

The comic stuff here.

Moderator: Moderators

Gforce81
Templar Master

Upcoming War

#1 Post by Gforce81 »

I was reviewing the comic the other day and I got to the part where we learn that the human king has been assasinated. For lack of anything else to talk about, What do you think will happen (specifically) when the gang returns back to the mainland from the Basidian islands?
ImageBest movie of all time!

FastChapter
The Inkwell Coyote

Re: Upcoming War

#2 Post by FastChapter »

Carnage? I dunno, I've found myself steadily forgetting the TwoKinds storyline since the boat trip began. Off the top of my head, without cheating, I can only remember that whole fight scene with Flora/Mask and Keith, the whole bit where the broken mask says she has to allow that new species that Flora's going to have... and for some reason they had to go to Basitan-Land because...

Yeah, I don't even remember why they went to Keith's island.

Cupil
Templar Master

#3 Post by Cupil »

FastChapter wrote:Carnage? I dunno, I've found myself steadily forgetting the TwoKinds storyline since the boat trip began. Off the top of my head, without cheating, I can only remember that whole fight scene with Flora/Mask and Keith, the whole bit where the broken mask says she has to allow that new species that Flora's going to have... and for some reason they had to go to Basitan-Land because...

Yeah, I don't even remember why they went to Keith's island.
Trying not to look at the archives.
Keith needed Trace for a 'you can't come back home unless you do this specific thing' but why they need to be there? I don't remember it well, but I think that both Flora and Trace are using the detour as an excuse to stay together longer. But wasn't that made around the time it was assumed that they would part ways once she reached her homeland? So wouldn't that be moot? I guess Trace couldn't exactly go back on his word to accompany Keith. It was sort of the only reason why Keith was in the group to begin with barring from maybe filling the straight man and 'token Basitian' role. From a storyline stand point it's probably the most logical way to show off the Basitian people and culture, at least from Keith's faction.

As for what I think will happen when the group goes back to the mainland after the Basitian Isle arc? Um. . .Probably more of the same. Honestly, it depends on where they go on the mainland, and why. The new goal is to reach the tiger lands so that they can proceed on through to Orchard Valley. As oppose to the 'reach Tiger lands, drop off Flora' thing from the earlier parts. But there's still the possibility that the Templers can finally succeed in bringing Trace back to the human territories. Prompting Flora to either go 'aw' and just go back to her tribe, or develop some big scheme to get him back.

Evan
Traveler

#4 Post by Evan »

Cupil wrote:It was sort of the only reason why Keith was in the group to begin with barring from maybe filling the straight man
And he kind of wrecked that when he found Natani attractive before he knew she was a girl.
Just sayin'.

Kilroywuzheere
All that and a side of fries

#5 Post by Kilroywuzheere »

Evan wrote:
Cupil wrote:It was sort of the only reason why Keith was in the group to begin with barring from maybe filling the straight man
And he kind of wrecked that when he found Natani attractive before he knew she was a girl.
Just sayin'.
While I'm not usually one to whine about puns, I feel the need to say something about the term straight man. Its the term for the guy in comedies that all the jokes "bounce off of". In effect, they are the ones that are either the butt of the joke, or the ones that inadvertently set them up. For example, in knock knock jokes, the straight man's usually the one that says "Who's there?"

Although I must say that you pun is awful, and I usually enjoy those... not this time. Although, that is an interesting tidbit that I did not remember from the archives.

Although, on topic, last I remember the war had already started, the wolves already assassinated the human's king. Though that doesn't matter too much, seeing as the Templar are the main people promoting the war effort. Honestly, I'm not gonna go through the archives just for this.
ImageImageImageImage

EB from G
Council Member

#6 Post by EB from G »

Kilroywuzheere wrote:Although, on topic, last I remember the war had already started, the wolves already assassinated the human's king. Though that doesn't matter too much, seeing as the Templar are the main people promoting the war effort. Honestly, I'm not gonna go through the archives just for this.
Without the archives I just remember when Zen spoke with Natani about the war via their psychic link: The human's king was assassinated (either by the wolf clan or somebody other, I can't say) and that started the war between humans and Keidran. Zen explicitly said their people overestimated the strenght of the human forces and implied that way the humans were loosening the war.

But that was way back and it's obvious that the Templar masterminded this developments to obliterate the Keidran race with their master plan.

FastChapter
The Inkwell Coyote

#7 Post by FastChapter »

:grin: Good lord, none of us have any clue what's going on in the webcomic any more, do we?

Aherdofgoats
Banned
Banned

#8 Post by Aherdofgoats »

I'm surprised at myself. I've been meaning to reread 2kinds forever, but I can never bare to get past chapter 6.

Curse my ADD.

Scorpio803
Templar

#9 Post by Scorpio803 »

FastChapter wrote::grin: Good lord, none of us have any clue what's going on in the webcomic any more, do we?
Nope, i think everyone eventually lost interest in it a while ago but stayed on the forum because it was that flippin awesome.

EB from G
Council Member

#10 Post by EB from G »

Scorpio803 wrote:
FastChapter wrote: :grin: Good lord, none of us have any clue what's going on in the webcomic any more, do we?
Nope, i think everyone eventually lost interest in it a while ago but stayed on the forum because it was that flippin awesome.
The real explanation therefore are the virtually dozens of simultaneously subplots, hints/lampshades/foreshadowing mulligan and wild location-skipping.

Nevolji

#11 Post by Nevolji »

As a lurker, this thread makes me laugh. And as a bad lurker, I should remind everyone that the group headed to the isles to hitch a ride with Eric on their way to that one valley of peace. (I know the name, but I can't remember it at the second, hah.)

I'm pretty sure that after this arc is done, the group will head to the Tiger Keidran land, which they have to pass through to get to the valley.

I might be wrong, though. I didn't check the archives.

Naglfar
New Citizen

#12 Post by Naglfar »

Nevolji wrote:on their way to that one valley of peace. (I know the name, but I can't remember it at the second, hah.)
Orchard Valley iirc. But more specifically, to a town located in said valley with mixed race populace.

And indeed.

All this. From leaving the main human lands to current is all more a side plot that have been used to explain/evolve Keith's situation/relationships in general. Prior to all this. Info on Keith was a tad scarce and did not make much sense, but not so anymore. But I suppose the same could be said about Natani. This whole twist have made it more likely for her to abandon her orders and "join" the group as opposed to just tagging along as a spy.

All that remains atm is to tie up the loose ends concerning Trace / Templar presence & the slaves. (Maybe a few more pages about Alric, who knows?)
Not mentioning the trial, cause I don't really see that happening anymore.

After that it's most likely going to be bye bye.

Also .. I have a suspicion that Laura will die soon, probably from a heroic save or stray arrow during the escape or a battle .. *shrugs*
Of course, I could be horribly wrong, and the group ends up fixing whatever is wrong and Keith explaining a few things for Laura and it ends in she standing on the harbor waving goodbye to the ship as it sails off. But I don't really picture her tagging along too.

As for the war:
The wolves are attacking and the humans not really responding to it just yet due to confusing. So the wolves think they are winning.

The Templars are ready to strike, but are still waiting for the "green light" from the human government. After all, they are supposed to be nothing but a mage guild. And not a private or governmental army. However, they will use the war (and their victories) to get themselves instated as such, and eventually take over power. Making the human lands ruled as a Magocracy. (A land ruled by powerful wizard, or council of wizards.)

At least that is what I think.
Reality deceives and lies tell the truth.

avwolf
Templar Inner Circle

#13 Post by avwolf »

The war didn't start with the assassination. It's been a cold war for a long time, and things started to heat up shortly before the assassination of the Human King, by my interpretation of the events. The Keidran have been sweeping into Human territories, killing every man, woman, and child they can get their paws on. The Templar haven't really been "waiting" so much as they've been strategically deploying their assets. It lets the Human defenders to the King get slaughtered, the Keidran look like monsters, and then the Templar can sweep in and look like saviors. All the while they were biding their time until they could prepare the "final tower," their doomsday weapon. Depending on what it does, we might not see it activated for some time. Trace initially agreed to help Keith when Keith was getting harrassed by Trace's old friends, when he first went into town to gather supplies after meeting Flora. As the Basitin's been a faithful friend, why would Trace go back on his word to help the man? Besides, going to the Basitin Isles got the party out of Templar territory, where they were being constantly hunted. Unfortunately, recent events show this to be akin to leaping from the frying pan into the fire. I expect that the war is continuing to go "badly" for the Humans, mostly because the Templar are using it to demonstrate how the Humans need the Templar, which grew more autonomous after Trace took power. Nora mentioned that he transformed it from a simple mage's guild into a paramilitary organization, and it seems as though he positioned it to take on the King himself, to seize ultimate power in Human territory. I expect they will do so, and then unveil their ultimate weapon. The war might seem to be going poorly for the Humans, but the Masks seem to have little doubt that the Humans will devastate the Keidran before the war's end -- otherwise Neutral would not have taken the measures she did.

Gforce81
Templar Master

#14 Post by Gforce81 »

Cool. Thanks for your opinions guys. I was just curious.
ImageBest movie of all time!

Dante_715
Templar GrandMaster

#15 Post by Dante_715 »

Gforce81 wrote:I was reviewing the comic the other day and I got to the part where we learn that the human king has been assasinated. For lack of anything else to talk about, What do you think will happen (specifically) when the gang returns back to the mainland from the Basidian islands?
Well one, the humans get a new King/Queen since the feudal system can't be taken down that easy. I would guess the Council of Nobles would hire some mercs and amass there armies and counter attack. Since there is no geneva convention, methods in craeting a supplied routes (that's Napoleonic era) or and magic the food up can only last so long (that's if the Nobles care about the rank and file's food), I would say said human armies would have to loot and pillage villages and since no one cared about anyone NOT form their nation they would just killed the villagers.

So that would mean wend the group, of mostly Keidran,who don't know what's going on, see an army of humans killing unarmed keidran, what do you think will happen?