Anthropomorphic Acceptance

The comic stuff here.

Moderator: Moderators

loverhater
Apprentice

Anthropomorphic Acceptance

#1 Post by loverhater »

What is it about the Kiedran and Basitan of two kinds that leads us to accept their anthropomorphic qualities so readily? The first time i read through Two Kinds I was honestly more concerned with Trace having relations with Flora because she was only 11, then i was with her not even being human. I have theories of my own on this but im interested in what you guys have to say , so i'll not unduly influence the course of conversation.
don't mess with black basitin magic, before she met a basitin they called her Mr. Nora.

avwolf
Templar Inner Circle

Re: Anthropomorphic Acceptance

#2 Post by avwolf »

Uh...I'm a furry. Being fine with that sort of thing comes with the territory. :P

loverhater
Apprentice

#3 Post by loverhater »

avwolf wrote:Uh...I'm a furry. Being fine with that sort of thing comes with the territory. :P
Is there a chance i could get a conversational starting giant block of text from you? It's usually your job... please???
don't mess with black basitin magic, before she met a basitin they called her Mr. Nora.

Sable Dove
Pocket Androgyne

#4 Post by Sable Dove »

Yeah, there's not much to say for many of us. Avwolf sums it up nicely: it comes with the territory.
And so it was that Godhead Pickle Inspector created the universe. He regarded His creation with fondness and saw that it was good.
http://www.furaffinity.net/user/ivory-raven/
http://www.tumblr.com/blog/sable-sonata

Anadu Kune
Citizen

#5 Post by Anadu Kune »

I watch and read a lot of sci-fi. Many science fiction books and movies focus on making these crazy looking creatures and have a human character interact with it. These Shows often try to hit home the same subjects and points Tom himself based the comic on.

I myself always try to view and judge characters and people based of their personalities, and besides that I think Flora, Natani, and kieth are cute, I wouldn't have any trouble getting past their apearance.
whats a horse doing on a space ship. Oh come on mikey get some perspective what prerevolutionary france doing on a space ship

avwolf
Templar Inner Circle

#6 Post by avwolf »

And to an extent (to play off Anadu Kune's point), this is the direction that society encourages us to go. Most of us come from Western countries (these are the only ones I can comment on; any of our forumites from Eastern countries are welcome to step in and note if this is also true of their socieites). Western civilization, particularly in the last half a century, has been focused on abolishing intolerance based on appearance. Western civilization is seeking to end judgement based on race and ethnicity. We've had our successes and failures, and (again, as Anadu pointed out) Twokinds is based on this very concept. For a furry, we've already got a fascination with anthropomorphs. (Furry's often called a fetish for a reason. ;)) We've taken the conception of ending discrimination based on skin color and extended it to fur. So that gives us little pause. The age, however, is generally still an issue for us -- Western civilization has a very strong protective urge for children. When we hear that Flora is only eleven, it stirs that impulse up, makes us want to protect her as a child, especially against deviant perverts who'd seek to take sexual advantage. It makes us uncomfortable emotionally, even though we understand, on an intellectual level, that Flora's an adult by the standards of her people. Being still human, though we may accept Keidran, we still judge them by our standards and our rules (save, generally, the ones we wish we could change). That makes it hard to accept that Flora is an adult -- our own conception of child is quite nearly only determined by age.

-- So --
Is that a little more suitable for what you wanted? :P

Sable Dove
Pocket Androgyne

#7 Post by Sable Dove »

avwolf wrote:Western civilization has a very strong protective urge for children. When we hear that Flora is only eleven, it stirs that impulse up, makes us want to protect her as a child, especially against deviant perverts who'd seek to take sexual advantage.
Damn you, Western civilization! Damn you!!! *fistshake*
And so it was that Godhead Pickle Inspector created the universe. He regarded His creation with fondness and saw that it was good.

zagura
Citizen

#8 Post by zagura »

There's not much to say, you're either fine with it, or you're not.
The reasons behind it lie on personal preference and what your comfortable with.

Its kinda like Brussels sprouts =D
Some people like them.
Some people hate them.
The reasons for both differ on a broad range, and are commonly miss understood poor minorities of a larger group.

Tanonx
Traveler

#9 Post by Tanonx »

I think it's got a hand in being that they aren't represented as anything radically different from human. The book being classed as fantasy, we're used to accepting a strange world, and we use the characters' reactions to find out how we should be reacting. Trace and Co. never seem to freak out over Flora and Trace being together, so neither do we. So long as it isn't different enough to jar our suspension of disbelief, it's accepted as part of the world it's staged in. It might be cause for some bemusement, and no doubt a bit of consternation, if someone like Flora were to marry and such in the real world. But in this world, Keidran are part of everyday life, and we have the benefit of painstaking explaination as to the fact that they aren't so different beyond their appearance. From there, the possible fears that come with the unknown are assuged, and we see Keidran as no less 'Human' than their more familiar counterparts.

I know I shouldn't write at 1 AM, but there's no way I'll be willing to remember all this and get myself up to write it all down tomorrow...

Tuna
tunatunatunatuna

#10 Post by Tuna »

I also believe that the fact that the Keidran mature so quickly physically has a lot to do with how TracexFlora is acceptable. If their physical maturation was on par with that of a human, Flora would look like an 11-year-old...and I think we would all have a bit more of a problem with the situation...
XD

Sable Dove
Pocket Androgyne

#11 Post by Sable Dove »

Tuna wrote:Flora would look like an 11-year-old...and I think we would all have a bit more of a problem with the situation...XD
Speak for yourself there. 11yo Flora would be awesome.

avwolf
Templar Inner Circle

#12 Post by avwolf »

The last time somebody molested an eleven year old girl, they turned bright yellow and Bruce Willis punched them to death. Don't forget that, Sable. :P

FastChapter
The Inkwell Coyote

#13 Post by FastChapter »

We're furries for the most part, to it lends itself to being accepting of anthros.

Edit: Aaaand Av already said that.

AzeNaku
Templar Inner Circle

#14 Post by AzeNaku »

zagura wrote:Its kinda like Brussels sprouts =D
Some people like them.
Some people hate them.
The reasons for both differ on a broad range, and are commonly miss understood poor minorities of a larger group.
Brusselsprouts killed my father and yelled profanities the whole time. I'll never forgive it.

Back on the topic, it's mostly the fantasy that allows the thought to be acceptable as a general concept. I think if it were real, there would be difference in opinion. I mean, if someone said corn was the dominant race that terrorized the puppet society with calculus, people would simply shrug it off and say "Makes sense." It's a whole new ball game when playing in the imaginary diamond. Simply put, falsified facts required equally fake ideals.

Hope this makes sense to more than just me.
Set Azers to "Pun". ImageImageImage

Nuff
The One With the Ears

#15 Post by Nuff »

Sable Dove wrote:
Tuna wrote:Flora would look like an 11-year-old...and I think we would all have a bit more of a problem with the situation...XD
Speak for yourself there. 11yo Flora would be awesome.
She just needs to be turned into a Hem and Sable would have a field day.