Comic for July 24, 2021: Brothers and Twins

The comic stuff here.

Moderator: Moderators

BadFoMo
Grand Templar

Comic for July 24, 2021: Brothers and Twins

#1 Post by BadFoMo »

Why yes, in addition to the usual ships, I support Zen X Kathrin and Alaric X Laura.

TwoKinds Printable Game Toys!
Now crowd sourcing ideas!

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

Re: Comic for July 24, 2021: Brothers and Twins

#2 Post by Bellhead »

And here we have that old trope of a character finding the carnage of previous battles, and wondering what the heck happened. Though, I suppose Nat's guess about Remus' death would make sense given what they know at this point... I wonder if Zen's guessed that Clovis is there in person? Would either of them even think to check on the prisoner to find out?

Also, gotta love the wholesome interaction between Keith and Natani here. They're so much more comfortable now than when they started off.

And is it just me, or is Keith's head turned completely backwards in that last panel?
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

Tornir
Master
Fav. Twokinds Character: Maeve

#3 Post by Tornir »

Bellhead wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:37 am And here we have that old trope of a character finding the carnage of previous battles, and wondering what the heck happened. Though, I suppose Nat's guess about Remus' death would make sense given what they know at this point...
A fall from that height onto a hard surface is going to leave Remus with some damage. I'd guess it'd be understandable to assume a pawswipe from a dragon was responsible? (I doubt Brutus recovered from that without some extensive magical intervention.)
Bellhead wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:37 am And is it just me, or is Keith's head turned completely backwards in that last panel?
The little under-ear tuft looks like the one on his left ear, so he may have turned round to look over Nat's shoulder at Raine and Karen.

Tyger42
Apprentice

#4 Post by Tyger42 »

Good to see Thomas is okay. I expect long pauses between strips these days ( Annoying, but I'm not mad. Life comes first and I'm never gonna fault a cartoonist who can't keep a fast paced schedule because I'm impatient. XD ). However, the SotD not being updated in a week (more?) was unusual and had me a little concerned.

Love the bottom left panel, though. ^_^

Tornir
Master

#5 Post by Tornir »

Bellhead wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:37 am I wonder if Zen's guessed that Clovis is there in person? Would either of them even think to check on the prisoner to find out?
I don't think he has. Clovis hasn't yet dealt with them in person within the comic's timeline, just via the link or through minions. I would assume they think Reni is off checking on the prisoner, but they may investigate if she doesn't return.
A trip upstairs for clothing, weapons, and a safe defensible location for the non-combatants might be their immediate priority. I'm assuming Detritus currently has Rose effectively neutralized, so there'll be no help there. If they realize Clovis is there, I'd expect an evacuation; they know she's not someone who'd put herself in danger, so a confrontation would be inadvisable.

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

#6 Post by Bellhead »

Tornir wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:38 pm I don't think he has. Clovis hasn't yet dealt with them in person within the comic's timeline, just via the link or through minions.
Logically speaking, I don't think that's true. They were probably the most famous assassins in that guild, and he was the leader of it. Not to mention, he's the one that made that link, so it's highly unlikely that they've never met in person.

I was referring to their time in the mansion. The only people who know Clovis is here are Romulus (killed by Zen), Remus (killed by Nibbly), Brutus (probably killed by Clovis), the minion Clovis incinerated, Reni (currently fighting Clovis alone), and Sythe (who hasn't been seen since the fight). it's unlikely that anyone could communicate that he's here.
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

Tornir
Master

#7 Post by Tornir »

Bellhead wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:56 pm Logically speaking, I don't think that's true. They were probably the most famous assassins in that guild, and he was the leader of it. Not to mention, he's the one that made that link, so it's highly unlikely that they've never met in person.
Okay, I was unclear there. TDM is a prequel to the main comic, and the creation of the link predates that. Clovis threatened them via the link just before Nora patched that vulnerability, and subsequently, has sent henchkeidran after them, because they've been staying away from the main guild, but he hadn't been really mad at them prior to that point.
Bellhead wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:56 pm I was referring to their time in the mansion. The only people who know Clovis is here are Romulus (killed by Zen), Remus (killed by Nibbly), Brutus (probably killed by Clovis), the minion Clovis incinerated, Reni (currently fighting Clovis alone), and Sythe (who hasn't been seen since the fight). it's unlikely that anyone could communicate that he's here.
That makes sense.
I think Brutus is definitely dead. He and Roan have been in the hands of one of the most accomplished mages on Mekkan, so I'm thinking Clovis expected them to be spies or za'tarc if they ever came back, and that would be bad for business. Roan may have got a more merciful end if he hadn't been caught badmouthing Clovis.
Sythe is being drawn upstairs by Nibbly, so I'm guessing those two will next be seen with Trace and Co. Will he be instrumental in rescuing Maren?

Thomas Rot
New Citizen
Fav. Twokinds Character: The villager on page 224

#8 Post by Thomas Rot »

Wow, didn't expect this kind of turnaround time with Tom about to go on a (well-deserved) break!

"Until I stepped out of the room, I couldn't reach you at all." Beyond its involvement in the estate's Detritus-activated emergency defences, the oasis room acting somewhat like the magic equivalent of a Faraday cage actually makes a strange amount of sense considering its intended use.

Karen's little "Dead body!" exclamation is great.

This page has been a pretty long time in the making — the poses in the second panel were sketched a couple of months ago alongside early portions of these other panels. Funnily enough those had Raine being the one with the surprised expression and Nat looking over their shoulder in the background, rather than the other way around as we see here. Tom likely decided that it fit better with the use of the mental connection at this point, so either this scene or Zen's involvement in the Kat in Trouble sequence was a recent revision of his overall plotline.

And if our collective theories here are correct, Nat's guess is of course very close to the truth — a dragon did get to Remus first. Just not the one they know about.

:squirrel:

Tornir
Master

#9 Post by Tornir »

Thomas Rot wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 2:32 pm And if our collective theories here are correct, Nat's guess is of course very close to the truth — a dragon did get to Remus first. Just not the one they know about.

The Nibbly theory is giving me more confidence about the outcome of the Clovis vs. Reni fight; how many times has she "died" now?

Thomas Rot
New Citizen
Fav. Twokinds Character: The villager on page 224

#10 Post by Thomas Rot »

Tornir wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 2:40 pm
Thomas Rot wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 2:32 pm And if our collective theories here are correct, Nat's guess is of course very close to the truth — a dragon did get to Remus first. Just not the one they know about.

The Nibbly theory is giving me more confidence about the outcome of the Clovis vs. Reni fight; how many times has she "died" now?
Oh, twice now, not counting the other couple of times Sythe thought she could have died.

Zaigan
New Citizen
Fav. Twokinds Character: Natani

#11 Post by Zaigan »

Man, I know how hard it can be to finish things. Sometimes life is in the way or it's too tiring. I finally got the next page done for my comic on Wednesday, too. I'll never be one to criticize on an item that is being given to me for free being late. Heck, some comics I read took many years off before doubling back to try and conclude.

Well, that is wrapping up for those parts nicely. Gonna be interesting to see what kind of crap hits the fan as they regroup. I think Zen's heroism will probably bump him into the critical condition issue. We don't really see much (any?) healing magic, so that could be tricky. Still, given the nature of Trace's work maybe there's some parts of it that could be used to help that are less completely evil. Maybe.

I wonder if we'll cut back to Sythe next or Flora and Trace? Maybe also back to resolving Reni vs Clovis It feels like the group might be ready to meet back up at where ever Maren is. I think only Reni would be too busy for that.
Bellhead wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:56 pm Brutus (probably killed by Clovis),
We have been away from them for awhile, but the last time we saw Brutus you could see that he was still breathing, faintly. He's not all the way dead by the poison yet, and the one bonus sketch did say he was just visiting the afterlife. I think he's going to be pulled back from the brink.

I still wonder if, even though Clovis was killing him, if Reni's fire missing Brutus was still his intervention? Like, he knew how much Brutus didn't want to be burned, so he would spare even his corpse from the flames.

I still don't think Nibbly is a dragon. She might have some powers that overlap with one, but she's probably some kind of dark-spirit based entity, probably a byproduct of Trace's research that ultimately shows even something as bad as that can still learn goodness or appreciate love. She probably can take a dragon-like form, though... Trace's dark magic did that before, I think? Still it wasn't a real dragon.

Eclipse
Templar Master

#12 Post by Eclipse »

Tyger42 wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:32 pm Good to see Thomas is okay. I expect long pauses between strips these days ( Annoying, but I'm not mad. Life comes first and I'm never gonna fault a cartoonist who can't keep a fast paced schedule because I'm impatient. XD ). However, the SotD not being updated in a week (more?) was unusual and had me a little concerned.

Lately the strips have only been coming out every other week instead of every week, this is new normal. If we didn't see something this week, then I'd really be concerned.
Tornir wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:39 pm That makes sense.
I think Brutus is definitely dead. He and Roan have been in the hands of one of the most accomplished mages on Mekkan, so I'm thinking Clovis expected them to be spies or za'tarc if they ever came back, and that would be bad for business. Roan may have got a more merciful end if he hadn't been caught badmouthing Clovis.
Sythe is being drawn upstairs by Nibbly, so I'm guessing those two will next be seen with Trace and Co. Will he be instrumental in rescuing Maren?
I don't think he's quite dead yet, and Reni is going to want to heal him. He's a valuable prisoner that surely has a lot of intel on Clovis and the motive behind the attack on Edenmire, so she is going to want to keep him alive. If possible, she may actually be healing him while battling Clovis.

stlsf4003
Apprentice

#13 Post by stlsf4003 »

Eclipse wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:29 pm
Tyger42 wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:32 pm Good to see Thomas is okay. I expect long pauses between strips these days ( Annoying, but I'm not mad. Life comes first and I'm never gonna fault a cartoonist who can't keep a fast paced schedule because I'm impatient. XD ). However, the SotD not being updated in a week (more?) was unusual and had me a little concerned.

Lately the strips have only been coming out every other week instead of every week, this is new normal. If we didn't see something this week, then I'd really be concerned.
I don't think he's quite dead yet, and Reni is going to want to heal him. He's a valuable prisoner that surely has a lot of intel on Clovis and the motive behind the attack on Edenmire, so she is going to want to keep him alive. If possible, she may actually be healing him while battling Clovis.
I don't think any info Brutus has on Clovis that's still floating around in his slowly dying brain will be of much use to anyone if Reni ends up reducing Clovis to a red smear on the ground!
the lurking furry railroader

Eclipse
Templar Master

#14 Post by Eclipse »

stlsf4003 wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:04 pm

I don't think any info Brutus has on Clovis that's still floating around in his slowly dying brain will be of much use to anyone if Reni ends up reducing Clovis to a red smear on the ground!
Not true. If Brutus knows that Clovis is in league with Brahn, that would be extremely valuable information that would expose the Templar's involvement in the attack on Edenmire.

Tyger42
Apprentice

#15 Post by Tyger42 »

Yeah, like I said, I've come to expect 1-2 weeks between strips. It was the delay in SotD's that had me starting to get a little worried.