The comic stuff here.

Moderator: Moderators

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

Re: Comic for July 24, 2021: Brothers and Twins

#31 Post by Bellhead »

Dreamfox wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:26 pm
MatyMaty wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:29 pm What would be the chances Nibbly is another of Trace's failed experiments? :squirrel: She's taking Sythe to the third floor, so I assume she somehow knows the manor layout?
My personal pet theory is that she is a remnant of the shadow dragon that Trace conjured up way back on page 223.
Though there were some other interesting theories. We will see. Some day.
Ah yes, the old Nibbly theories. I remember getting into those way back when... Well, not that far back.

The world lore describes how baby dragons would venture out into the world shifted as small forest creatures, to learn about the world around them. That was a popular theory.
The idea that she's a remnant of Trace's shadow dragon was less likely but still possible, given her refusal to die, but with how far everyone's traveled since then, and knowing (approximately) how long it's been since then, it's unlikely that a squirrel would have made it that far unassisted and unguided.
She could also be one of Evil Trace's failed experiments, which is also possible, given that they were seemingly not too far from Edinmire, and it's possible he "disposed" of her in the woods.
And lastly, if I remember right, there was a theory that she's a puppet, controlled either by Master Seer or his daughter. Although... given what Sythe's injured, probably concussed mind saw, that's seeming increasingly unlikely.

I'd like to see a full character sheet of her, but I doubt we'll get one until the story is almost over.
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

AmigaDragon
Grand Templar

#32 Post by AmigaDragon »

Bellhead wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:50 am Ah yes, the old Nibbly theories. I remember getting into those way back when... Well, not that far back.

I'd like to see a full character sheet of her, but I doubt we'll get one until the story is almost over.
If we do before then, it'll be written by Raine like her cast bio.
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

Thomas Rot
New Citizen
Fav. Twokinds Character: The villager on page 224

#33 Post by Thomas Rot »

While fairly insignificant in the grand scheme of things, this page did finally give us a concrete location for the Oasis Room. Or the door into it, at least. I'm not convinced that a room of that size can fit into a single wing of Trace's manor.

Tornir
Master
Fav. Twokinds Character: Maeve

#34 Post by Tornir »

Thomas Rot wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:46 am Or the door into it, at least. I'm not convinced that a room of that size can fit into a single wing of Trace's manor.
If Reni's travel bags are anything to go by, external size constraints wouldn't be an issue.

Thomas Rot
New Citizen
Fav. Twokinds Character: The villager on page 224

#35 Post by Thomas Rot »

Tornir wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:52 am
Thomas Rot wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:46 am Or the door into it, at least. I'm not convinced that a room of that size can fit into a single wing of Trace's manor.
If Reni's travel bags are anything to go by, external size constraints wouldn't be an issue.
Oh, definitely. We have three reference points for the room's actual physical boundaries (the door, Red's hole in the same wall, the Reni-shaped hole in the roof) and nothing else to go by. Pocket dimensions or similar shenanigans seem like the most reasonable explanation for its size.

aitaituo
Templar GrandMaster

#36 Post by aitaituo »

Thomas Rot wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 3:12 pm
Oh, definitely. We have three reference points for the room's actual physical boundaries (the door, Red's hole in the same wall, the Reni-shaped hole in the roof) and nothing else to go by. Pocket dimensions or similar shenanigans seem like the most reasonable explanation for its size.
Maddie already demonstrated that at least parts of the mansion's apparent geometry doesn't make sense.

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine!

#37 Post by Technic[Bot] »

Bellhead wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:50 am
Dreamfox wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:26 pm
MatyMaty wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:29 pm What would be the chances Nibbly is another of Trace's failed experiments? :squirrel: She's taking Sythe to the third floor, so I assume she somehow knows the manor layout?
My personal pet theory is that she is a remnant of the shadow dragon that Trace conjured up way back on page 223.
Though there were some other interesting theories. We will see. Some day.
Ah yes, the old Nibbly theories. I remember getting into those way back when... Well, not that far back.

The world lore describes how baby dragons would venture out into the world shifted as small forest creatures, to learn about the world around them. That was a popular theory.
The idea that she's a remnant of Trace's shadow dragon was less likely but still possible, given her refusal to die, but with how far everyone's traveled since then, and knowing (approximately) how long it's been since then, it's unlikely that a squirrel would have made it that far unassisted and unguided.
She could also be one of Evil Trace's failed experiments, which is also possible, given that they were seemingly not too far from Edinmire, and it's possible he "disposed" of her in the woods.
And lastly, if I remember right, there was a theory that she's a puppet, controlled either by Master Seer or his daughter. Although... given what Sythe's injured, probably concussed mind saw, that's seeming increasingly unlikely.

I think geography does not add up for me the Trace dark dragon and the failed experiment. I think there were significantly far away from Edinmire when they first found Nibs and even recently they needed to fly to them to get there in any reasonable time, which even if Reni is not as fast as a commercial modern flight would still cover a lot of ground.

My favorite, likely, hopefully false theory. Is that it is the daugther of Trace and Nora, which she decided not to mention once Trace went genocidal maniac.
Thomas Rot wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:46 am While fairly insignificant in the grand scheme of things, this page did finally give us a concrete location for the Oasis Room. Or the door into it, at least. I'm not convinced that a room of that size can fit into a single wing of Trace's manor.
For what we understand that room is significantly smaller than what the illusion makes it look like. But it is definitely very tall, likely one of the manor towers.
aitaituo wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:28 pm
Thomas Rot wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 3:12 pm
Maddie already demonstrated that at least parts of the mansion's apparent geometry doesn't make sense.
I think that is a perception spell meaning the manor real geometry is cloaked in plain sight. To prevent anyone reach the greenhouse and the necromancy labs
There are three things that motivate people: Money, fear and love.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
PhpBB in the age of facebook
If you are new to this phpBB thing:
BBCode guide

Tornir
Master

#38 Post by Tornir »

Technic[Bot] wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:26 pm For what we understand that room is significantly smaller than what the illusion makes it look like. But it is definitely very tall, likely one of the manor towers.
aitaituo wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:28 pm Maddie already demonstrated that at least parts of the mansion's apparent geometry doesn't make sense.
I think that is a perception spell meaning the manor real geometry is cloaked in plain sight. To prevent anyone reach the greenhouse and the necromancy labs
It only appears to work if you're paying attention to it. You believe you see a blank wall where a corridor actually is; if you reach out, you'll believe you feel a solid wall. If you've just been pounced on by a pursuing basitin, neither you nor they are paying attention to the architecture, so you both fly straight through it and end up where you shouldn't be.
Using that logic, if Reni were to have grabbed Red*, and throw him hard at where the oasis room door was supposed to be, he'd have smashed through it and ended up in the corridor.

The puzzle is the shielding aspect; that was apparently capable of deflecting enough power from Natani's assault to set fire to Red's hair, and blow a hole in the ceiling (so not another illusion), yet there was still enough damage actually done in total to create a hole big enough to walk through, and trash the door on the other side of the corridor...

Unless the ceiling hole wasn't due to the deflected blast, but rather to a piece of (perception filtered) high-velocity masonry being blasted free?

*Red is known to be able to survive being thrown through doors.

MuonNeutrino
Templar GrandMaster
Fav. Twokinds Character: Rose, Natani

#39 Post by MuonNeutrino »

Tornir wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:10 amThe puzzle is the shielding aspect; that was apparently capable of deflecting enough power from Natani's assault to set fire to Red's hair, and blow a hole in the ceiling (so not another illusion), yet there was still enough damage actually done in total to create a hole big enough to walk through, and trash the door on the other side of the corridor...
Keep in mind Natani wasn't the only one who hit the wall - Red spent a fair amount of time blasting the wall both before and after Natani tried. My assumption is that Natani's spell *was* deflected, but between his and Red's efforts the wall did eventually fail even if it wasn't visible thanks to the illusion.

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine!

#40 Post by Technic[Bot] »

Tornir wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:10 am
Technic[Bot] wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:26 pm For what we understand that room is significantly smaller than what the illusion makes it look like. But it is definitely very tall, likely one of the manor towers.
aitaituo wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:28 pm Maddie already demonstrated that at least parts of the mansion's apparent geometry doesn't make sense.
It only appears to work if you're paying attention to it. You believe you see a blank wall where a corridor actually is; if you reach out, you'll believe you feel a solid wall. If you've just been pounced on by a pursuing basitin, neither you nor they are paying attention to the architecture, so you both fly straight through it and end up where you shouldn't be.
Using that logic, if Reni were to have grabbed Red*, and throw him hard at where the oasis room door was supposed to be, he'd have smashed through it and ended up in the corridor.

The puzzle is the shielding aspect; that was apparently capable of deflecting enough power from Natani's assault to set fire to Red's hair, and blow a hole in the ceiling (so not another illusion), yet there was still enough damage actually done in total to create a hole big enough to walk through, and trash the door on the other side of the corridor...

Unless the ceiling hole wasn't due to the deflected blast, but rather to a piece of (perception filtered) high-velocity masonry being blasted free?

*Red is known to be able to survive being thrown through doors.
I did mentioned before that I thought only hiding the manor with perception based magic was a fatal design flaw. If i had a secret evil lair not only i would make sure no one believes it exits i would also put a 3 inch steel plate behind the concealed entrance in case someone stumbled in.
That being said maybe old trace wantedsome guest absentmindedly wandering into his lab, be seized by Stony and then used in necromancy experiments... Or maybe he simple believed his idea too good to fail so why even bother?
There are three things that motivate people: Money, fear and love.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
PhpBB in the age of facebook
If you are new to this phpBB thing:
BBCode guide

Tornir
Master

#41 Post by Tornir »

Technic[Bot] wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:24 pm I did mentioned before that I thought only hiding the manor with perception based magic was a fatal design flaw. If i had a secret evil lair not only i would make sure no one believes it exits i would also put a 3 inch steel plate behind the concealed entrance in case someone stumbled in.
That being said maybe old trace wantedsome guest absentmindedly wandering into his lab, be seized by Stony and then used in necromancy experiments... Or maybe he simple believed his idea too good to fail so why even bother?
Well, Rose said of Old Trace:
...In your eyes, there wasn’t a problem that couldn’t be solved with magic.
So it would appear you're right about his overconfidence. (Or was it just arrogance?).