The comic stuff here.

Moderator: Moderators

Lordadmiral Drake
Master

Comic for June 19, 2021: Kathrin in trouble pt6

#1 Post by Lordadmiral Drake »

Well, Romulus had it coming :twisted:

Is that Eric calling out to Kat?
Furcode: FCXcsp2a A C- D H+ M- P- R++ T++ W Z- Sm# RLE a cln d+ e h* i+ j+ p- sm+

I'm a Deviant now

CrimsonQuill086
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine or Red

Re: Comic for June 19, 2021: Kathrin in trouble pt6

#2 Post by CrimsonQuill086 »

Finally made an account for this forum, first time posting, so I have a theory.

Remember when Zen had the Magic-nullifying shackle burning into his wound? The runes were on the INSIDE of the shackle. What if they got branded into his skin? There's a specific focus on his leg, and I don't think it's just for injury...what if Zen is now a walking magic nullifier? That would explain Kat's shackle going out.
The universe is, and we are.

MithrilCoyote
Fav. Twokinds Character: Natani

#3 Post by MithrilCoyote »

CrimsonQuill086 wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:18 pm Finally made an account for this forum, first time posting, so I have a theory.

Remember when Zen had the Magic-nullifying shackle burning into his wound? The runes were on the INSIDE of the shackle. What if they got branded into his skin? There's a specific focus on his leg, and I don't think it's just for injury...what if Zen is now a walking magic nullifier? That would explain Kat's shackle going out.
that would be interesting. also would help explain why his link with natani is somewhat weaker now. side effect of having an antimagic spell now on his body.

of course, from their perspective (until someone figures out the shackle aspect), it would be either her hurting him causing her own nurturing nature to overcome the magic, or his deep concern doing it.

SomeBody
Citizen

#4 Post by SomeBody »

Eh, I think it's simpler than that. Eric's a slaver, that's pretty clearly a slaver's tool. Like Drake, I expect that's him yelling.

Kyrit
Templar

#5 Post by Kyrit »

CrimsonQuill086 wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:18 pm Remember when Zen had the Magic-nullifying shackle burning into his wound? The runes were on the INSIDE of the shackle. What if they got branded into his skin? There's a specific focus on his leg, and I don't think it's just for injury...what if Zen is now a walking magic nullifier? That would explain Kat's shackle going out.
Even if the runes did get burned in they would require him to supply mana to them, which without and crystals he wouldn't be able to. That and they would now be written backwards, which would probably create a different spell if they did anything at all.

I do agree Eric is probably showing up next, given that he'd left the beach room before everyone else and had likely retired to his room. His room was probably close to Kat's, wanting to remain close to his "sister" even if he's maybe still a bit upset at her. If so I'd expect he also heard Kat yelling for help earlier and began rushing out in panic.

The voice of your former "master" (even if Eric never really considered her a proper slave) yelling your name might easily be enough to snap her out of the previous order. Or could just be that Rom officially died at that moment and the order to walk out faded with him.

CrimsonQuill086
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine or Red

#6 Post by CrimsonQuill086 »

That is something I didn't consider. Do we know whether the death of the person giving the order would cause it to cease? Would it still count, given that he stated not even he can take the bracelet off? The specifics are blurry...

Nevertheless, it is an interesting possibility.
The universe is, and we are.

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

#7 Post by Bellhead »

I'd wager the order still stands. It's not the caster keeping the spell up, nor is it the caster's will, so I bet that the shackle going dead is unrelated to Rom's death.
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

steelabjur
Council Member

#8 Post by steelabjur »

I suggested this during the stream, but what if a shard of the antimagic shackle itself was embedded into his leg when it exploded? It might still have some residual magical power that interacted with Kat's cuff when her claws pierced Zen's bandages. Having a bit of metal in the wound might explain why Zen's wound is still a problem.

Also, if the transcript is accurate, it wasn't Zen who called out "Kat!" between the last panels.

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine!

#9 Post by Technic[Bot] »

First I guess we are not gonna find out what exactly Zen did to Rom. Too graphic maybe? Yet again Zen himself was skewered by Keith not that many years ago.
Also iswhat is that weird effect around Rom? I think may be meant to be dust from him falling to the ground but honestly it looks like he is steaming or smoldering to me. Thing we got a similar effect, yet much more subtle, when Brutus died.

Regarding the bracelet i am not sure what turned it off. I mean makes sense that Eric a slaver and somewhat knowledgeable on magic gadgetry has a way to turn off those things. Yet feels like a serrious security issue, for slavers at least, if just about anyone can go and without authorization turn the bracelets off. Besides those are not your run off the mill slave bracelets your buy in Squirrel-Mart seems more like custom made by Clovis.
There are three things that motivate people: Money, fear and love.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
PhpBB in the age of facebook
If you are new to this phpBB thing:
BBCode guide

tony1695
Weaver of Tales

#10 Post by tony1695 »

As interesting as it would be if Zen was now a walking arcane nullifier, I don't think that's the case. Having the original magic nullifying shackle put on him sent Natani into what was basically a coma, after all, and they've been seen interacting over their link since its destruction. But there is hardly a better explanation for why the control shackle shorted out. The death of one person in the shackle's "authorised user" causing it would be a disastrous design flaw, admittedly one not impossible given how arrogant Clovis and his men are.

So, Romulus is either dead or dying, Remus is likewise and Clovis got into a 1v1 with a dragon. Yeah, looks like this entire heist is about to fail on their end.
Gentlementlemen
How do you get to the Rakdos Guild Hall?
You take the psycho path.
Weed la Weed Warning: WEIRD

Vera Accalia
Traveler

#11 Post by Vera Accalia »

My theory is that Rom was the only one on the auth list at the moment. Maybe Clovis has to manually add himself to that list, which is why Rom wanted Kat to step outside and be teleported. My guess is Rom officially just died. Also, the text being yellow does make me think that Eric has just arrived, hopefully not thinking Zen was attacking her.

Dreamfox
Citizen

#12 Post by Dreamfox »

Technic[Bot] wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:24 pm First I guess we are not gonna find out what exactly Zen did to Rom. Too graphic maybe? Yet again Zen himself was skewered by Keith not that many years ago.
Also iswhat is that weird effect around Rom? I think may be meant to be dust from him falling to the ground but honestly it looks like he is steaming or smoldering to me. Thing we got a similar effect, yet much more subtle, when Brutus died.
More like a gust of wind, showing how fast he dropped? So I would say stabbed in the back through the heart, maybe with the steak knife. That would do it.

And I don't know if someone pointed this out before, but Clovis, Remus and Romulus made a classic mistake.
They split the party.

MatyMaty
Traveler
Fav. Twokinds Character: Sythe

#13 Post by MatyMaty »

Either way, you gotta feel bad for the twins and Clovis. Both Rom and Rem (killed by a squirrel on top of that) died, Zen is still free, Kat was saved and so far the only thing Clovis has managed to do is to kill his most loyal follower. Yikes

This is one of the most catastrophic villain failures I've seen :mrgrin:

Cinnibar
New Citizen
Fav. Twokinds Character: Natani

#14 Post by Cinnibar »

Maybe we're about to find out that something 'terminal' also happened to Clovis as well, currently offscreen, negating the magic.

But I like to think the overpowered obedience/teleport shackle has a few flaws that apply to Kat that wouldn't have applied to Zen, the intended target.

Oooh, if it is Eric, given the nature of these shackles/collars....a human instruction might take a lot more precedence over a mere wolf. I can see that as basic to the design to prevent Keidren from ordering each other free.

sotanaht
Traveler

#15 Post by sotanaht »

It would actually be a good idea to design a mind control device to fail if following an order required extreme actions outside of the direct order. Imagine you order a slave to go outside, but the guards stop her, so that the slave believes the only immediate way to get through that door is to kill the guards. That would be something of a design flaw that might end up doing more harm than good, with simply orders leading to unforeseen consequences. So build in a failsafe so the slave doesn't have to do anything too extreme unless specifically ordered. More commonly that "failsafe" simply comes in the form of the slave being able to break control if an order goes too strongly against their morality, but it leads to the same end.