Moderator: Moderators

Him
The Secret Forum Mod
Fav. Twokinds Character: Natani

Re: Comic for June 19, 2021: Kathrin in trouble pt6

#31 Post by Him »

Kyrit wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:41 pm
CrimsonQuill086 wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:18 pm
Even if the runes did get burned in they would require him to supply mana to them, which without and crystals he wouldn't be able to.
Then how do slave collars work? They are used on crystal-less Keidrans. They don't seem to get it from the owner because Keidrans would need to constantly use crystals I assume.

My guess is they use ambient mana in the air, or they are powered by the runes themselves (I dislike this idea because that implies there is a time limit). As long as we are dealing with magic anything that isn't expressly forbidden is a possibility.

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

#32 Post by Bellhead »

Using ambient mana would make sense, but so would using mana inadvertently supplied by the wearer.

Also, we know what Clovis is like. I highly doubt that a human's voice would in any way carry more weight than one of his goons, owner or not. It might even be programmed specifically to ignore human orders much the way regular collars only work on keidran. I don't have any proof, but I'd still bet that, IF Eric, it was her emotional attachment to him that shut off the shackle, intentional or otherwise. Lest Eric did it himself.
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

Cinnibar
New Citizen
Fav. Twokinds Character: Natani

#33 Post by Cinnibar »

Bellhead wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:48 pm Using ambient mana would make sense, but so would using mana inadvertently supplied by the wearer.

Also, we know what Clovis is like. I highly doubt that a human's voice would in any way carry more weight than one of his goons, owner or not.
I'd actually go with that a human's voice would in any way carry more weight than Clovis's at least. :)

Update: I mean, it isn't like Clovis trusts much. He already killed his best friend, and he gave simple instructions to his two thugs to snatch-and-grab Zen. One promptly split up for some petty play and got killed by a squirrel, and the other slapped Clovis's 'gift for Zen' on random cat-girl and then died. Clovis I think spends a lot of time banging a head against a wall muttering 'Why must I do everything....?' ;)

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine!

#34 Post by Technic[Bot] »

SomeBody wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 3:13 am Here's some more "Eric" wild-bass-guessing.

Given he considers Kat to basically be his sister, but also very much an item at risk of being bought, sold or stolen: Could he have rigged her with spells to break slave collars years ago? Seems like a reasonable thing to do if he was afraid somebody (his older brother, perhaps) was going to take off with her.
Have not thought about this. Given Kat situation it makes sense Eric went out of his way to kept her from being stolen and/or re-enslaved. Enchanting her so she has a get out of jail card in case she gets taken makes lots of sense. However if this is the case, why it did not activated up until Eric came? Maybe he thought he may once need to collar Kat for some reason....
Him wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:30 pm
Even if the runes did get burned in they would require him to supply mana to them, which without and crystals he wouldn't be able to.
Then how do slave collars work? They are used on crystal-less Keidrans. They don't seem to get it from the owner because Keidrans would need to constantly use crystals I assume.

My guess is they use ambient mana in the air, or they are powered by the runes themselves (I dislike this idea because that implies there is a time limit). As long as we are dealing with magic anything that isn't expressly forbidden is a possibility.
Yes i would like to know how these thigns suppsoed to work as they seem to be quite insconsistent. Anyhow I assume they are either rechargeable or battery crystal operated. Given that Eric also used normal shackles, even if they did not even chaffed, on his slaves, maybe magic powered slave collars are very expensive and only large slavers can afford it?
Bellhead wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:48 pm Using ambient mana would make sense, but so would using mana inadvertently supplied by the wearer.

Also, we know what Clovis is like. I highly doubt that a human's voice would in any way carry more weight than one of his goons, owner or not. It might even be programmed specifically to ignore human orders much the way regular collars only work on keidran. I don't have any proof, but I'd still bet that, IF Eric, it was her emotional attachment to him that shut off the shackle, intentional or otherwise. Lest Eric did it himself.
Exactly this seems to be made custom for Clovis. It is unlikely he cares if they guy he is enslaved belongs to someone else, or would care for what some random human dude has to say. Also wonder if stealing/rustling slaves is a thing in Mekkan?

I do hope at the end it is not just "The power of Love" do not get me wrong i do not think it would be off the spirit of the comic, but there are much better alternatives to solve this

Random idea.
I mentioned before that Kat blouse used to be transparent before. Also she started wearing after Zen, mistook her for pillows. Back then i questioned how a blouse so thin that is transparent would protect her against accidental groping. It Seems there was another reason: If she was not wearing anything right now. Well these pages would have hit quite differently.... Probably would need a content warning or something
There are three things that motivate people: Money, fear and love.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
PhpBB in the age of facebook
If you are new to this phpBB thing:
BBCode guide

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle

#35 Post by Bellhead »

Technic[Bot] wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:27 pm Given that Eric also used normal shackles, even if they did not even chaffed, on his slaves, maybe magic powered slave collars are very expensive and only large slavers can afford it?
Per Roderick, back at Eric's house: It is illegal, per the Templar, to own any slave not bound by a control spell.

They may very well be expensive, but so are slaves in the first place, and all slaves are required to have something of the sort.
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

steelabjur
Council Member

#36 Post by steelabjur »

I always assumed that magical items in Mekkan carried an ambient "charge" from being enchanted, requiring more "upfront" mana to empower, but carrying that extra mana as a charge that's used to power the item's "ability" (and periotically needing recharged). Sort of like the mana crystals we've seen but far more limited.

Kyrit
Templar

#37 Post by Kyrit »

steelabjur wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:05 pm

I always assumed that magical items in Mekkan carried an ambient "charge" from being enchanted, requiring more "upfront" mana to empower, but carrying that extra mana as a charge that's used to power the item's "ability" (and periotically needing recharged). Sort of like the mana crystals we've seen but far more limited.
At the very least they need an initial input on mana for sure. Back when Evals and Mike's collars were depowered Eric needed some time to restore them, likely being that he resupplied the up-front cost of the spell. I have no doubt that enchantments continually run without constantly being resupplied, but I would expect that if the runes had ended up on Zen's leg they would still need someone to supply the initial cost again for it to activate. And as previously stated, the runes would then be written backward and would either make no sense or would make a different spell

AmigaDragon
Grand Templar

#38 Post by AmigaDragon »

Cinnibar wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:52 pm Update: I mean, it isn't like Clovis trusts much. He already killed his best friend, and he gave simple instructions to his two thugs to snatch-and-grab Zen. One promptly split up for some petty play and got killed by a squirrel, and the other slapped Clovis's 'gift for Zen' on random cat-girl and then died. Clovis I think spends a lot of time banging a head against a wall muttering 'Why must I do everything....?' ;)
Clovis doesn't have friends, he has employees. Brutus might feel a little different about it (until now) and may be classed more follower than mere employee.
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

SilentYay
Traveler
Fav. Twokinds Character: Lady Nora

#39 Post by SilentYay »

Kyrit wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:58 am

At the very least they need an initial input on mana for sure. Back when Evals and Mike's collars were depowered Eric needed some time to restore them, likely being that he resupplied the up-front cost of the spell. I have no doubt that enchantments continually run without constantly being resupplied, but I would expect that if the runes had ended up on Zen's leg they would still need someone to supply the initial cost again for it to activate. And as previously stated, the runes would then be written backward and would either make no sense or would make a different spell
Correct me if I'm wrong, but want it mentioned once upon a time that mana is generated by (or at least contained in) all living things? Maybe if the shackle's inscription was, in fact, branded onto Zen's leg, it's using his "natural supply." In effect, turning him into a walking magical artifact.

SomeBody
Citizen

#40 Post by SomeBody »

Technic[Bot] wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:27 pm
SomeBody wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 3:13 am Here's some more "Eric" wild-bass-guessing.

Given he considers Kat to basically be his sister, but also very much an item at risk of being bought, sold or stolen: Could he have rigged her with spells to break slave collars years ago? Seems like a reasonable thing to do if he was afraid somebody (his older brother, perhaps) was going to take off with her.
Have not thought about this. Given Kat situation it makes sense Eric went out of his way to kept her from being stolen and/or re-enslaved. Enchanting her so she has a get out of jail card in case she gets taken makes lots of sense. However if this is the case, why it did not activated up until Eric came? Maybe he thought he may once need to collar Kat for some reason....

Yes i would like to know how these thigns suppsoed to work as they seem to be quite insconsistent. Anyhow I assume they are either rechargeable or battery crystal operated. Given that Eric also used normal shackles, even if they did not even chaffed, on his slaves, maybe magic powered slave collars are very expensive and only large slavers can afford it?

Exactly this seems to be made custom for Clovis. It is unlikely he cares if they guy he is enslaved belongs to someone else, or would care for what some random human dude has to say. Also wonder if stealing/rustling slaves is a thing in Mekkan?

I do hope at the end it is not just "The power of Love" do not get me wrong i do not think it would be off the spirit of the comic, but there are much better alternatives to solve this

Random idea.
I mentioned before that Kat blouse used to be transparent before. Also she started wearing after Zen, mistook her for pillows. Back then i questioned how a blouse so thin that is transparent would protect her against accidental groping. It Seems there was another reason: If she was not wearing anything right now. Well these pages would have hit quite differently.... Probably would need a content warning or something
Well, I can think several possible reasons why it would take Eric yelling.
1) The slave-collar-breaking enchantment is illegal or would otherwise get him in big trouble if it were known. He wants a way to get her back if all hell breaks loose, but didn't want it obvious if somebody did some kind of spot-check.
2) It's not illegal - it's basically a "find my iphone" function. This is a standard spell for high-value slaves and lets you prevent people from stealing them. Would have some nicely horrible implications that despite her being his "sister" he's still treating her like property.

steelabjur
Council Member

#41 Post by steelabjur »

SilentYay wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:01 am
Kyrit wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:58 am

Correct me if I'm wrong, but want it mentioned once upon a time that mana is generated by (or at least contained in) all living things? Maybe if the shackle's inscription was, in fact, branded onto Zen's leg, it's using his "natural supply." In effect, turning him into a walking magical artifact.
IIRC, magic in Mekkan is similar to magic in the old Dark Sun D&D campaign setting in that magic is generated by the planet and all living things. To stretch the parallel further, most magic used in TK is of the Preserver school, in that care is taken to not overdrain or draw directly from the lifeforce of the caster or the surrounding area, meanwhile "Black Magic" is the Defiler school in that it doesn't take that care and is more powerful as a result but much more dangerous to the caster and their surrounding (in both settings overuse of this type of magic has deleterious effects on the caster and can even cause physical change, The Dragon in Dark Sun is also the settings most powerful Defiler, use of the magic having warped them physically to the point of no longer being human). Overuse of the latter type of magic is why Dark Sun is such a crapsack desert world.

Eclipse
Templar Master

#42 Post by Eclipse »

Him wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:30 pm Then how do slave collars work? They are used on crystal-less Keidrans. They don't seem to get it from the owner because Keidrans would need to constantly use crystals I assume.

Well I do think the collars are self-recharging, they would probably need to be designed in a way that they absorb mana themselves, otherwise they would require constant maintenance that make them impractical to use (What if a slave is separated from their master for an extended period of time? They need some way to keep the collar powered until their master locates them). My guess is that they designed them to replicate human mana cores except they work automatically, they're powered by absorbing the mana in the air or ground and the mana is instantly used to keep the wearer enslaved as they don't want the wearer to be able to use the mana to free themselves, attack their master, or otherwise disobey instructions.

If that is true, that does open up some interesting questions. If they have the technology to replicate a human mana core, could similar technology be used to allow Keidran to cast magic without mana crystals? And if not, why aren't they? That reason alone might make my theory wrong, but it's certainly an interesting thought.
Technic[Bot] wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:27 pm Have not thought about this. Given Kat situation it makes sense Eric went out of his way to kept her from being stolen and/or re-enslaved. Enchanting her so she has a get out of jail card in case she gets taken makes lots of sense. However if this is the case, why it did not activated up until Eric came? Maybe he thought he may once need to collar Kat for some reason....
Again, how could this enchantment be powered continuously if Keidran aren't capable of absorbing mana without mana crystals? Eric would certainly want to, but does he have the means to?
Technic[Bot] wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:27 pm
Bellhead wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:48 pm Also, we know what Clovis is like. I highly doubt that a human's voice would in any way carry more weight than one of his goons, owner or not. It might even be programmed specifically to ignore human orders much the way regular collars only work on keidran. I don't have any proof, but I'd still bet that, IF Eric, it was her emotional attachment to him that shut off the shackle, intentional or otherwise. Lest Eric did it himself.

Yeah, that does seem like somewhat of a cop-out if just Eric calling out to him is enough to break the collar. That is way too easy to circumvent their master's intentions.

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle

#43 Post by Bellhead »

Eclipse wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:33 pm
Him wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:30 pm Then how do slave collars work? They are used on crystal-less Keidrans. They don't seem to get it from the owner because Keidrans would need to constantly use crystals I assume.

Well I do think the collars are self-recharging, they would probably need to be designed in a way that they absorb mana themselves, otherwise they would require constant maintenance that make them impractical to use (What if a slave is separated from their master for an extended period of time? They need some way to keep the collar powered until their master locates them). My guess is that they designed them to replicate human mana cores except they work automatically, they're powered by absorbing the mana in the air or ground and the mana is instantly used to keep the wearer enslaved as they don't want the wearer to be able to use the mana to free themselves, attack their master, or otherwise disobey instructions.
I still don't think that's the case. If it were powered by a limited source, it would have a limited usage duration. If it could power itself with atmospheric mana or mana from the ground, that would open up far more dangerous doors, which we have not seen evidence of.

I still think that the collars are programmed by the user, or rather, master, and that magic sequence (for lack of a better term) is stored in the runes indefinitely, until called upon to be used. Case in point: ... control spells disabled." He wouldn't say "disabled" unless it was impossible that they could have simply 'run out'.

Now, I have thought about how their power would be sustained over an indefinite period, and I think I figured something out. Exhibit A: "Once I cast the spell, it'll draw its energy from you, and won't stop until you will for it to." - Natani, referring to the "Heart's Desire" spell. Natani is a self-proclaimed novice at spell creation, and admits himself that "guesswork magic is very inefficient". Now let's look at the Heart's Desire spell: something Natani developed, capable of running off the target's energy, instead of the caster. Would somebody without any training in magic creation be able to create something so complex, if it wasn't already something that people knew could be done? Makes more sense to me, that the idea of a self-sustaining spell powered by the target's energy would have to be a well-known concept, at least in some circles. Now, if that sort of sequence were programmed into the collars, for instance, but on a much smaller scale and in a different direction, could it not simply subdue somebody, without draining more energy than their body could naturally supply?

Food for thought.

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine!

#44 Post by Technic[Bot] »

Bellhead wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:34 pm
Eclipse wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:33 pm

I still don't think that's the case. If it were powered by a limited source, it would have a limited usage duration. If it could power itself with atmospheric mana or mana from the ground, that would open up far more dangerous doors, which we have not seen evidence of.

I still think that the collars are programmed by the user, or rather, master, and that magic sequence (for lack of a better term) is stored in the runes indefinitely, until called upon to be used. Case in point: ... control spells disabled." He wouldn't say "disabled" unless it was impossible that they could have simply 'run out'.

Now, I have thought about how their power would be sustained over an indefinite period, and I think I figured something out. Exhibit A: "Once I cast the spell, it'll draw its energy from you, and won't stop until you will for it to." - Natani, referring to the "Heart's Desire" spell. Natani is a self-proclaimed novice at spell creation, and admits himself that "guesswork magic is very inefficient". Now let's look at the Heart's Desire spell: something Natani developed, capable of running off the target's energy, instead of the caster. Would somebody without any training in magic creation be able to create something so complex, if it wasn't already something that people knew could be done? Makes more sense to me, that the idea of a self-sustaining spell powered by the target's energy would have to be a well-known concept, at least in some circles. Now, if that sort of sequence were programmed into the collars, for instance, but on a much smaller scale and in a different direction, could it not simply subdue somebody, without draining more energy than their body could naturally supply?

Food for thought.
If I remember correctly didn't Mike or evals once sai that they were not being controlled because the collars ran out of magic and since Eric was frolicking around the Basitins isle he forgot to re-enchant them?
There are three things that motivate people: Money, fear and love.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
PhpBB in the age of facebook
If you are new to this phpBB thing:
BBCode guide

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle

#45 Post by Bellhead »

Technic[Bot] wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:15 am If I remember correctly didn't Mike or evals once sai that they were not being controlled because the collars ran out of magic and since Eric was frolicking around the Basitins isle he forgot to re-enchant them?
In short, no, not really. The magic on the island was kinda "broken" after the incident, so I think we can say with relative certainty that the Great Tower Explosion had some kind of magic-nullifying effect, essentially erasing the spell altogether.