Comic for June 14, 2021: Kathrin in Trouble pt5

The comic stuff here.

Moderator: Moderators

tony1695
Weaver of Tales

Re: Comic for June 14, 2021: Kathrin in Trouble pt5

#16 Post by tony1695 »

Somehow I don't quite think Romulus is done for just yet. It's gonna depend pretty heavily on just what Zen went for, but there's every chance he has a chance to retaliate. It could be little more than an attempt to swing back and get a punch in. Hopefully he doesn't have the presence of mind to tell Kat to try and restrain/attack Zen. Zen's a killer, and trying to knock someone out can just as easily have fatal results. Especially given Zen's injured state, Kat might be able to at least buy Clovis time to collect his prizes, assuming he gets away from Reni intact.
Gentlementlemen
How do you get to the Rakdos Guild Hall?
You take the psycho path.
Weed la Weed Warning: WEIRD

SmileWolf
Fav. Twokinds Character: hmmm.. Reni, atm, I guess

#17 Post by SmileWolf »

I don't get why anyone would be unhappy this [censored] might die. It doesn't matter how 'cute' he physically may be, the sadist inside him makes me see only ugliness. As far as I'm concerned, anyone that would harm Kat, take her free will away, and send her off to his friends to be used for what 'she obviously is' deserves as painful a death as possible, just to try to even accounts for the pain he obviously relishes causing others during his career. Hopefully Zen just gave him the death he deserves.

Edited: tweaked to reflect more accurately how Rom described Kat.

Emp_Dragon
New Citizen
Fav. Twokinds Character: Reni

#18 Post by Emp_Dragon »

SmileWolf wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:31 am I don't get why anyone would be unhappy this [censored] might die. It doesn't matter how 'cute' he physically may be, the sadist inside him makes me see only ugliness. As far as I'm concerned, anyone that would harm Kat, take her free will away, and send her off to his friends to be used for 'what she obviously is' deserves as painful a death as possible, just to try to even accounts for the pain he obviously relishes causing others during his career. Hopefully Zen just gave him the death he deserves.
Agreed.

Sky Shatter
Citizen

#19 Post by Sky Shatter »

Way-elp...
He was just a veritable fountain of advice. One quick pull and he'll be another kind of fountain. A more literal one.

Rafe
Council Member

#20 Post by Rafe »

SmileWolf wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:31 am ...As far as I'm concerned, anyone that would harm Kat, take her free will away, and send her off to his friends to be used for what 'she obviously is' deserves as painful a death as possible, just to try to even accounts for the pain he obviously relishes causing others during his career. Hopefully Zen just gave him the death he deserves.
Remember Zen's past reactions to Clovis and later Carver the fox, when they suggested they would take Natani to a similar fate. Zen looked like and reacted like he was going to kill them right then (if he could have).
Make no mistake about it, since he let his desires about Natani be known in TDM, Zen despises Clovis, and would kill him instantly if he could.

Tiennos
Citizen

#21 Post by Tiennos »

Huh. How long has it been since Zen the assassin has actually offed someone? I think this might be the first time in the comic... Assuming Romulus doesn't survive somehow.
I'm adorable !

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

#22 Post by Bellhead »

Tiennos wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:36 am Huh. How long has it been since Zen the assassin has actually offed someone? I think this might be the first time in the comic... Assuming Romulus doesn't survive somehow.
Assassin Brothers Lore story goes that they never actually killed their targets, but each of them died by happenstance when they attacked. So if Zen kills Rom here, it might even be the first time Zen's killed somebody the way he intended.
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

Cpt. H.L. Rodney
New Citizen

#23 Post by Cpt. H.L. Rodney »

No...! No no please Tom, don't...! No...! We don't need anyone else kidnapped not now not here...! We already have Adira to rescue we can't have anyone in the estate being kidnapped...!

Please, Zen... stop her...! Please don't be to late...

steelabjur
Council Member

#24 Post by steelabjur »

Way to kill the one person at hand who can stop Kat from walking into Clovis' hands, Zen! What a "hero". :roll:

Makaira

#25 Post by Makaira »

SmileWolf wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:31 am As far as I'm concerned, anyone that would harm Kat, take her free will away, and send her off to his friends to be used for what 'she obviously is' deserves as painful a death as possible, just to try to even accounts for the pain he obviously relishes causing others during his career.
The irony being that Romulus obviously is a throwaway bad guy, destined to die to advance the plot.

Also, from a meta-plot standpoint, I don't think Kat is going anywhere. Remember, Clovis is still in the house. And the "just deserts" school of story writing dictates that the eventual resolution to this plot line be for Clovis to walk out of the mansion with the control bracelet on, in his female form, to be teleported to whomever is waiting to use her for "what she obviously is."

MatyMaty
Traveler
Fav. Twokinds Character: Sythe

#26 Post by MatyMaty »

Now I wonder if Zen's injury (and his refusal to rest) will be a Chekhov's gun of sort, and the thing that causes him to fail to stop Kat before she steps outside. Like the injury making him trip and fall inches before he manages to grab Kat.

Rasol
New Citizen
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith

#27 Post by Rasol »

Spiffydragon wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:01 am Fluff butt Romulus better not die...
Oh how quick is Zen to kill someone else when he was in a similar position not too long ago and yet was spared.
Why not? He's not even a secondary character. Tertiary at BEST estimate. He may as well have been called henchman #3. He's cannon-fodder. He'd be a random encounter if this were an RPG.

He's also a sadist, and wanted to 'gift' Kat to a life as a slave under Clovis.

We don't need more side characters to join the group. If anything, a few will be parting ways here after this arc.

Eclipse
Templar Master

#28 Post by Eclipse »

Romulus mentioned sending her to "his friends". I think he means Brutus and Roan in the dungeons, so things aren't quite going to go according to his plan seeing as one is a roasted pile of bones and the other is dying of poison. But Clovis and Reni are fighting down there, so that's still not a place Kat wants to be right now.

stlsf4003
Apprentice

#29 Post by stlsf4003 »

Rasol wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:21 pm
Spiffydragon wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:01 am Fluff butt Romulus better not die...
Oh how quick is Zen to kill someone else when he was in a similar position not too long ago and yet was spared.
Why not? He's not even a secondary character. Tertiary at BEST estimate. He may as well have been called henchman #3. He's cannon-fodder. He'd be a random encounter if this were an RPG.

He's also a sadist, and wanted to 'gift' Kat to a life as a slave under Clovis.

We don't need more side characters to join the group. If anything, a few will be parting ways here after this arc.
Couldn't of said it better my self. Clovis and his goons all deserve to burn in the chapter!

And given that Clovis is now alone well behind enemy lines, I'd say his date with the noose or more specifically dragon fire, is just around the corner. :twisted:
the lurking furry railroader

Spiffydragon
Traveler
Fav. Twokinds Character: Remus, Evals

#30 Post by Spiffydragon »

Perhaps I'm being a devil's advocate but It would be fairly hypocritical of Zen to kill Romulus when Team B had every reason to kill Zen when he tried to capture Scythe. Circumstances changed and Zen got a lucky break; it would reflect poorly on him if he didn't remember that and extend the same to someone else at some point.

Sadist may be a stretch but both of them are definitely FnAs. Commentators seem to be judging them by the epitome of their worst actions in this last hour or so of their jobs without having much prior history to include; it's a sliver of who the characters are. They could be well entrenched with Clovis or they could simply be dry on work and needed the money so they have been working for Clovis for awhile. Indeed there are quite a few characters and a culling may be due, some may go their own ways, but I think the two wolves have much more to add and could take a temporary departure only to be reintroduced under different circumstance; especially if their current client kicks the bucket. They don't have a whole lot of reason to keep fighting if their boss and pay chest is dead. Joining the main cast isn't a requisite to also going their own way, off-page until paths cross again; neither enemies, nor allies. It seems like a waste to create them, then discard them so quickly.

I've never been fond of disposable characters, every character has their own story, motives, and ambitions; even if it's mundane and unremarkable. Despite Zen being justified in stopping Romulus, stabbing him in the back tastes more of murder than justified killing since he did have the element of surprise and likely other options available. I still have my fingers crossed that Kat will intervene on Romulus behalf, despite him trying to kidnap her, and ask for mercy before Zen inflicts further injuries to Romulus. It would allow the twins' story to be further elaborated on at a later date. They would make for good on-the-side material, apart from the main story. Kat also doesn't seem like the type to want anyone killed in front of her, even if they did just threaten her life, among other things. Sending Romulus out the window would provide an ample off-screen exit, removing him from the intimidate story while mothballing him (and his brother) for future use.

Romulus appears to less than fond of Clovis and that may be the one thing that keeps him alive since Zen has low regards for him as well. I still have an itch that Zen and and twins are acquainted in some way since the bracelet was specifically Romulus' gift to Zen and not Clovis' gift; it begs the question of why the two appear to have beef with each other and will we get to know more about it?

--
@Eclipse: Brutus is a prisoner and wouldn't be outside waiting. Roan was a chicken and the other outside was turned into a cow TMK. I'm not sure how well Brutus knows the twins, they may have been friends and he the short stick most of the time. If they were a group, that would mean Brutus isn't going to have a whole lot left if he does survive; in which case death would be preferable to having to start over in the middle of your life with no one and nothing. I have a feeling Brutus will take the stored / reflected attack from Clovis since it's tidy. Clovis seems to be set on his path in life and it's both unlikely and improbable that any event would change that. Death would be fitting, that or losing everything, especially after betraying all of his wolves in the pursuit of money.

Disclaimer: Yes, I like the twins; I'm a sucker for wolves, jackals, Yotes, and independent types. Despite the twins behaving like FnAs, they don't seem to be evil, and I'm not convinced they deserve death; but it's not my call to make.