Comic for May 29, 2021: Kathrin in Trouble pt4

The comic stuff here.

Moderator: Moderators

Warrl
Grand Templar

Re: Comic for May 29, 2021: Kathrin in Trouble pt4

#16 Post by Warrl »

He's likely to order her to stay in that room... where the household-items-summoning table is. (He doesn't really know how she got the knife.)

What might she summon?

steelabjur
Council Member

#17 Post by steelabjur »

tony1695 wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 11:08 pm While this is definitely a horrible thing to happen to poor Kat, this does almost certainly place her out of harm's way for the immediate future. Romulus now knows where his primary target is, and has no reason to bring her along. She'll probably be instructed to wait in the room until he and/or Clovis come to collect their prizes.

As for Romulus 's injury not stopping him? Well, he did use his left arm to slap the control bracelet on Kat (and the fact that he was able to so quickly seems to imply that he was considering doing so from the start). For all we know, his right arm has indeed been rendered unusable, he's just cocky enough to think that Zen is too injured to be a threat. Nothing to say the adrenaline keeping him going will run out or even stop him noticing that he's bleeding out.
Or he has Kat come along to help carry Zen out (and act as a hostage if her yelling was heard), especially if his arm is unusable. He might even use his control over her to make Zen come along quietly ("Do as I say or she'll cut her own throat, you see the cuff, you know she'll do it!")

Kyrit
Templar

#18 Post by Kyrit »

Zaigan wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 11:58 pm I wonder what information he's after? Where Natani is? Not sure if that would hold value to the organization, but Nat's been gone for so long. Little do they realize we've got the full Clovis Syndicate reunion going on.
The first use of the bracelet was probably intended to get Zen to come along without a fight since Clovis wants him. They're supposed to grab Zen and go. Secondly though, yeah, probably to make Zen tell them where Natani is. After all, according to Carver, Clovis has "special plans" for Nat. Of either of the twins Nat would be the real goal. Yeah, sure, Clovis wants Zen to suffer, but Nat was much more directly involved in what happened to him, along with Nora, and as such the grudge would be much much stronger. Zen definitely wouldn't give up Nat's location without the bracelet forcing him to either

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine!

#19 Post by Technic[Bot] »

Zaigan wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 11:58 pm At least he isn't going to kill her, and with any luck, this will be one gift Clovis is never given.

I hope someone heard her. I still think Zen might help her to cement their relationship, but there's a few other people who might be kicking around that could lend a hand, too.

Mind controlling magic is always so sinister, I guess I'm not surprised to see them use it against each other, even if it's akin to the slave bonds often used to Keidrin. I have to admit, I didn't think Romulus really had something for Zen. I wonder what information he's after? Where Natani is? Not sure if that would hold value to the organization, but Nat's been gone for so long. Little do they realize we've got the full Clovis Syndicate reunion going on.

Also, the pace has really gone up lately! Maybe these action scenes just flow easily.
I think Romulus interest in Zen only exist becuase Clovis is paying him to fetch him. These two are mean but seem to have very little interesting other than getting some coin out of Clovis.
Tetrahedron wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 12:34 am I never understood, why she stabbed his arm, then run around him and left the knife.

Better stab fast, stab often.
Distressing situation + no combat training. Besides, despite what media makes us believe stabbing people multiple times is really hard ,there is a reason most real stabbing incidents stop after the double digits. On the other hand even if she tried to further attack there is no garantee Romulus could not grab her arm and stop her anyways.
steelabjur wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 1:03 am
tony1695 wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 11:08 pm While this is definitely a horrible thing to happen to poor Kat, this does almost certainly place her out of harm's way for the immediate future. Romulus now knows where his primary target is, and has no reason to bring her along. She'll probably be instructed to wait in the room until he and/or Clovis come to collect their prizes.

As for Romulus 's injury not stopping him? Well, he did use his left arm to slap the control bracelet on Kat (and the fact that he was able to so quickly seems to imply that he was considering doing so from the start). For all we know, his right arm has indeed been rendered unusable, he's just cocky enough to think that Zen is too injured to be a threat. Nothing to say the adrenaline keeping him going will run out or even stop him noticing that he's bleeding out.
Or he has Kat come along to help carry Zen out (and act as a hostage if her yelling was heard), especially if his arm is unusable. He might even use his control over her to make Zen come along quietly ("Do as I say or she'll cut her own throat, you see the cuff, you know she'll do it!")
Despite having a hostage being beneficial he said "If he is such injured I doubt he is gonna put much of a fight anyways" i don think he will use her for that. Maybe only to help him carry Zen. After all he does not even expect Zen to fight back.
There are three things that motivate people: Money, fear and love.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
PhpBB in the age of facebook
If you are new to this phpBB thing:
BBCode guide

aitaituo
Templar GrandMaster

#20 Post by aitaituo »

Technic[Bot] wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 10:36 pm Of all the things we theorized Rom would do. Turn around and simply grab her was not one of them. The best solution is usually the simplest Occam Razor and all that stuff. On the other hand I am not worried about Clovus getting Kat simply because I do not expect him to survive that long.
Twilight wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 10:29 pm These guys must not have arteries. A stab wound like that would put a person on an ambulance for immediate medical care at a hospital. It's not something you can just walk off.
Yeah almost any cut that deep is gonna require some medical attention. Then again some people get shot and walk away because they lucked it out and bullet did not hit anything major
Ahem. The main artery in the upper arm is on the inside of the arm. It's unlikely it was hit and if it was, probably only nicked. He would still bleed a lot, but he's not in imminent danger of fainting without a bandage. He needs to bandage it in within minutes because of the size and the fact that muscles are pretty bloody organs, but grabbing Kat and putting that slave collar on her arm was his best move and now gives him a useful slave Kat ( :x ) who can help him bandage up. As I said in the previous comic thread, there's a good chance that his right arm is still mostly usable at the expense of a lot of pain and aggravating the injury, assuming he does not know healing magic good enough to patch it up entirely. And an axe is probably the best weapon to use in your off hand. Swing, chop, use your legs and body weight for a lot of the force. He may be clumsy doing that, but he's going to face off against a guy who can barely stand.

tony1695
Weaver of Tales

#21 Post by tony1695 »

Another thing to bring up is Lynn. We still have no idea where they are, true, but Kat was able to briefly leave the room to yell for help. Those big ears aren't just for show, so there are some good odds that Kathrin was heard.

As for just how effective a Basitin bureaucrat would be against an injured Keidran thug, we can't say. All we saw of Lynn's prior combat skills was dodging and being immune to some manor of love poison.
Gentlementlemen
How do you get to the Rakdos Guild Hall?
You take the psycho path.
Weed la Weed Warning: WEIRD

steelabjur
Council Member

#22 Post by steelabjur »

tony1695 wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 6:14 am Another thing to bring up is Lynn. We still have no idea where they are, true, but Kat was able to briefly leave the room to yell for help. Those big ears aren't just for show, so there are some good odds that Kathrin was heard.

As for just how effective a Basitin bureaucrat would be against an injured Keidran thug, we can't say. All we saw of Lynn's prior combat skills was dodging and being immune to some manor of love poison.
He also boosted Keith and Maddie into the air to help take down the Adrakist, dude's stronger than he looks. Also, he may be a bureaucrat, but he's also a Basitin. They start training at a very young age and who knows when Lynn became a messager and why? He might be an experienced veteran who suffered an injury in combat or training that led to his... "floppy ears" and the decision to become a bureaucrat.

Esn
New Citizen

#23 Post by Esn »

Lynn is a good candidate to show up at some key point in this arc. But another possibility, for the situation with Kat specifically, is Eric. We know that he left the Oasis room at some point before it was closed off, we haven't seen him since, and we also know that he has some magic capability (he did a bit during the ship journey, did he not? Though I don't remember now what it was specifically...).

Eclipse
Templar Master

#24 Post by Eclipse »

As I said in one of the previous comic pages, the most likely candidates to save Kat would probably be Zen or Eric. Zen keeps wandering out while he should be resting and Eric considers Kat a sister. Lynn is also a possibility, but he's most concerned with Keith, so he's likely been trying to find a way to break him out of the Oasis Room.

Vera Accalia
Traveler

#25 Post by Vera Accalia »

People seem to have written Scythe off pretty fast. Do we know the layout of the manor yet? That room could be close by for all we know at this point in time, and he (or Nibs) could have heard Kat scream out.

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

#26 Post by Bellhead »

Vera Accalia wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:54 am People seem to have written Scythe off pretty fast. Do we know the layout of the manor yet? That room could be close by for all we know at this point in time, and he (or Nibs) could have heard Kat scream out.
Best we've got so far. Unless, of course, you count Roselyn's lesson to Raine in that one sketch that I can't link right now, but that seemed to have just been the lowest level.
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

Makaira

#27 Post by Makaira »

Technic[Bot] wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 11:25 pm I am gonna go with: Anyone can simply take the bracelet off as long as it is not the same person wearing it or is not wearing other bracelet himself.
That's what I would go with too. Remember, this is Clovis' gang. Humans keeping keidrans as slaves can use collars which only work on keidrans. Clovis has no such race-based immunity. So the human slave collars would be a security risk to him and his troops. They'd use something different, and likely a little more subtle.

Dfgming
Fav. Twokinds Character: Natani

#28 Post by Dfgming »

Oh no! Let Kat go! If you let her go we can act like nothing happen...things we fine. But if you dont I have skills many skills that will make things difficult for you. I will find you and I will end you. -eric

Thomas Rot
New Citizen
Fav. Twokinds Character: The villager on page 224

#29 Post by Thomas Rot »

…yeeeeuuuuchhh, not good.

Romulus clearly has brains enough for this operation. (Presumably why Clovis instructed him and not his brother to carry out the main mission, now that I come to think of it.) Why would he leave Kat, still a security threat despite her neutralisation by slave collar, in the room by herself with a table that has already given her a weapon when he could bring her along as a hostage and to get Zen to comply with his threats? There's no telling how bad things can get for Kat and Zen now with this in the equation. People have gone over exactly how horrifying these devices are in the past. It does really seem that if anyone saves them at this point, aside from bumping into them by accident, it will be because of Kat's screaming out in the hallway for those few seconds of freedom. Who knows who could have heard it, though?
Vera Accalia wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:54 am People seem to have written Scythe off pretty fast. Do we know the layout of the manor yet? That room could be close by for all we know at this point in time, and he (or Nibs) could have heard Kat scream out.
Actually, it is pretty close by. If you're willing to trust my off-the-wall train of thought here, the time it takes for Rom to reach Kat's room is exactly the time it took for Clovis to get down to the dungeons. Bear in mind that Rom had to climb a staircase and talk to his twin before doing so, and the logical conclusion is that it shouldn't have taken long for Rom to walk to the rooms where Kat is, ergo Kat is fairly close to where Rom last left his twin and where Sythe currently is.

That also means, however, that this scene is taking place at the same time as Remus' confrontation with Sythe and Nibbly back out by the staircase. Neither of them would have been available to hear the scream, and in any case Sythe was a half step away from needing hospitalisation himself throughout that scene. He wouldn't be of much use even if Nibbly didn't (a few minutes after this scene) take him directly toward the third floor and away from wherever all this is happening. Now, for more on that…
Bellhead wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 1:04 pm Best we've got so far. Unless, of course, you count Roselyn's lesson to Raine in that one sketch that I can't link right now, but that seemed to have just been the lowest level.
I'd say that map is fairly suspect. Maddie herself admits that something doesn't feel right about what she's put down on that map, which we know (of course) is due to whatever enchantments evil Trace put on the third-floor corridor to make it unplottable. We do have a better one here but it's likely the best we'll ever get:
On Reddit, Tom wrote:The estate's design is pretty nebulous, I admit. Most of it, especially on the inside, isn't designed or mapped out in any meaningful way, in terms of physical space. It's really just a big place to provide whatever the story calls for. However, I've drawn a rough diagram of the exterior and surrounding area so you can get an idea of the general layout of the manor: https://imgur.com/a/ODR03NV

I also included art for some of the points of interest around the estate. Keep in mind, most of this isn't entirely to scale, but it's roughly how I imagine things are laid out. Interior-wise, there's not much else other than what's in the comic.
That last pronouncement of his is really tempting me to try and figure out where the interior landmarks are, including where Kat currently is. And I might just do it. Might need a post of its own.

aitaituo
Templar GrandMaster

#30 Post by aitaituo »

Thomas Rot wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:08 pm That last pronouncement of his is really tempting me to try and figure out where the interior landmarks are, including where Kat currently is. And I might just do it. Might need a post of its own.
Please do.